Any Exec Assts or Admin Assts been hired in mid-50's (years not $$$'s)? I'd really like to know?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (35)

OCExecAsst in Fullerton, California

56 months ago

I've 20+ years as an Exec Asst, supporting VPs and CEO's in suburbia vs metro; translation=mediocre money, basically living paycheck to paycheck as a middle-class single Mom, without ever really being able to save much. I worked hard and have been through it all, including surviving the 90's where I was laid off every 2 years over an 8 year period, w/ hospitals being bought/sold/changing hands were the norm then. I survived all including one lengthy employment gapof 10 months (I held out for $$$). I'm now in my mid-50 years and have been unemployed for over 2.5 years. Shame on me; my last position hired me knowing they were going to sell the company in 3 months and I would not be absorbed. I've lost count on the resumes I still continue to send out, registered with 7 agencies, and have been the #2 candidate that was not selected numerous times. Now I am the dreaded "over-qualified" word (ageism), despite being tech saavy, great background, references, professional appearance (I'm told I look far younger than I am) and healthy and note on every job site and forum the astringent hiring range is 24-45 year olds. What do we, the former backbones office support workforce that are 45 to 65??? Many of us have climbed to the top, only to slide down time after time. I realize that is life, but seriously, many of us are one-income households, have raised families, exhausted savings, lost homes and should be considered fortunate to receive $10-$14/hourly wages for the same jobs that once paid $50+K, where the workload has doubled/tripled, rentals/housing has doubled and half of the jobs have become obsolete since 2007! Change careers and more educational degrees in our 50's we're advised--and in what field will they hire us??? Work part-time jobs at Wal-Mart or CVS??? Unfortunately, many are there, miserable, existing rather than surviving. I've checked the senior workforce sites and rarely is there an EA/AA position. Any ideas? Anyone else here in this boat?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

akamst in Huntersville, North Carolina

56 months ago

yes, I'm in similar boat. I've been looking now in my 13th consecutive month. I applied at a car dealership who wanted someone w/20+ years of Admin experience. I thought "Wow, how many of THOSE of us can there be?" I was making $40k, she comes back "great, we're paying $9-10/hour, here's an app. Please complete and bring with you to interview." I told her yeah, I'd get right on that! Not her fault, but in addition, my current job is some 25 miles from home now, this dealership job was adding 20 miles to the daily cummute.
And I have no ideas either. I've exhausted indeed.com, monster,com, craigslist, realmatch.com - you name it, if I know they're placing jobs, I'm all over it. Would love to know when MY economy is going to turn around. And I just turned 58 in November so I'm no spring chicken for an employer - I can offer them stability-some 28 years at the same job, dependability-my children are grown so it's just me to take care of now, and on it goes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Thanx akamst. I wish there were such a thing as an Emp Agy for the over 50 gang where there were job developers to find us jobs with ready-employers, like the old days. Now Emp Agys are for employers only due to $$$--makes sense. Wish we could get a bunch of us and form our own Virtual Asst co--marketing and job development seems to be the key there. If I were successful at it, I would already be doing it. Anybody out there good at this. I'm doing a caregiving job in the interim--seems over 50 is a plus there; change off is all consuming of your time/life for not much money and out of the corporate world. Check out care.com if this is an option for ya. You're on my prayer list for a breakthough--thanx again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

LuvBug in Kent, Washington

54 months ago

Same thing going on is Seattle WA. Everytime I put in a resume so do 200 others. They are cutting the salaries for admins by 20K. All I can say is keep Praying! God is faithful!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BellevueAdmin in Redmond, Washington

53 months ago

I am 43, single Mom in Bellevue WA. I have found that the admin jobs have diminished and have cut their pay easily by the 20k reported. It is so frustrating, where to go from here??? I do think the age thing is lower than 50 though.... Pray Pray Pray. I am thinking of retraining as a CNA only to start at 12.00 hour when I was making 25.00 before I lost my job a year and a half ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Dear BellevueAdmin... that seems to be the case across the county. Such a shame that is hidden, it seems to everyone but us... the backbone of the office workforce historically--same work for minimal $$$'s, working for teams of principals (I've seen some job postings for working for anyone in the entire company! and some for working for over 100 persons w/ the expectation from some egos that are insistent on using as a personal right-hand assistant)--talk about being squeezed to the max in a vice grip!!! Lack of $$$'s to me screams "Lack of Value" and "Lack of Respect". Strange mindset and value system as a "given" seems to be the modern trend in this world. Forgive my ranting/venting in my dissatisfaction at the end of this long-term career span, reduced to a life of "suvival/existance".

Just a tip, if you pursue CNA cetification--check out a website: www.care.com. It matches senior care providers/caregivers with private careseekers by zip code. Almost everyone has assisted in taking care of someone sometime--if you are a mother and home maker you have transferable skills. Jobs posted average $5-$20/hour, with a wide span of hours needed for live-in, live-out, 12-shifts, limited hours, partial week to 24/7. The options are vast working for yourself and there is a wealth of articles for tips from everything to expectations to certification, wellness tips and safeguard guides. It may be of interest to you. Many careseekers do not require CNA certification and it may be an option for you while you pursue formal classes/certification. Live-in caregiving can be all consuming of your life, but it is a way of surviving in famine. Agencies generally pay @ $120/day for a 24-hour shift, making far greater off of you than you receive. The stress level vs. an office is far less and internally, you are making a difference in someone elses life by assisting them in being able to remain in their own homes in golden years. Check it out & keep the faith.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Seasoned EA in Wakefield, Massachusetts

53 months ago

Same situation for me. I am in my mid 50's with over 20 year experience supporting high level execs in software, hardware, corporate and have technical skills et al. Live in the Boston area. Lost my job in 2008 and have been on some interviews, mostly entry level. Heard "over qualified", plus I am single and cannot exist on $12-15/hr. Excuse me for saying this, but besides the terrible economy which is definitely a factor, I thought it was illegal to discriminate for age? I also feel a bit insulted about the Obama ads pushing us to go back to school. I cannot afford my own health insurance ($800/month), plus thousands I owe in taxes because of unemployment. So, how am I suppose to pay for school? How would a degree help me get a decent job at 60 years old?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

SOSO in Duncanville, Texas

52 months ago

Same here in Texas..good to know I'm not by myself but wish it was better for us all over 50..something has to change!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Singerdancer3 in San Jose, California

52 months ago

Same here. been working full-time since 1978. Divorced mom, 2 kids in college, parent funding loans in order to send them to college, high rent, health insurance costs, etc. etc. I have a degree from 'night school' [a well-advertised, well-known place] but was actually told by a potential employer that it "isn't a REAL degree, like from Stanford". Seriously? for an EA with over 25 years experience? Most of these children can't even put together a cohesive sentence, yet I'm 'overqualified'. Seasoned EA in Wakefield - you are so right - you all are! And then we get contacted from Insurance Companies to be an Agent - come on!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Big D in Apple Valley, California

52 months ago

Wow, disheartening isn't the word, is it? More like slit-your-wrist-depressing! I have been the de facto EA in every job I've had since 1982, while maintaining highest sales numbers in each organization. I'll be 58 in 3 weeks and can't get hired for measley $24K jobs. I'm told they're 'afraid there won't be enough to satisfy me' or I'm 'over-qualified'. I just did a temp job for a solo practice lawyer. I'd never done legal work before, but I adored it. The intellectual stimulation, the pace, the interaction w/clients was all marvelous. My first experience in court was a Federal jury trial. My boss and co-counsel kept telling me they could not have managed the trial w/o me. I know that's true because the main lawyer had fried two temps previous to myself (both in their late 20's). But when all was said and done, the lawyer decided to merge w/another law firm and not take me with. Their loss. I am continuing to look for something that is fast-paced, sales (my main career) oriented, w/a boss who won't realize how fab his/her life will be once I am on board. A great EA can run the business when the boss is out of town, make the boss' life smoother and take care of all the extraeneous stuff so the boss can stick to TCB. My old boss' wife told me, "You're his business wife--I just sleep with him!" And that was true. We built a hugely successful business together and when I find the right boss, I can do it again!
Keep the faith, pray, keep your heads up and keep your 10-second commercial about yourself at the ready & share it w/everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Small Town near Big Town in Raleigh, North Carolina

51 months ago

Big D in Apple Valley, California said: My old boss' wife told me, "You're his business wife--I just sleep with him!" And that was true. We built a hugely successful business together and when I find the right boss, I can do it again!
Keep the faith, pray, keep your heads up and keep your 10-second commercial about yourself at the ready & share it w/everyone!

Thank you for the note. I had to leave work 3 yrs ago to be a caregiver for dad, then husband. Closed out 3 estates, etc. you get the idea. Now I am so ready to go back to work. Glad to see someone else say "keep the faith". My mantra has always been "have faith" - whatever that faith might be. Believe in your religion, yourself - you define what that is and just have faith.

In our area, seems like the job ethic - work hard and earn your keep - we grew up on is gone, utterly and completely. Well, no more lecture on that.

51 months ago

Don't give up! I posted a comment a month ago and this week, I accepted an offer from a fantastic company. The position and salary are right on target for my years experience and skill set. It took me two years, but I will once again be employed. My advice is to keep networking and applying for as many positions as possible. This job offer came from me applying to an open position posted on Indeed. No networking, no headhunter. I send my best wishes and blessings to all of you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Seasoned EA in Wakefield, Massachusetts said: Same situation for me. I am in my mid 50's with over 20 year experience supporting high level execs in software, hardware, corporate and have technical skills et al. Live in the Boston area. Lost my job in 2008 and have been on some interviews, mostly entry level. Heard "over qualified", plus I am single and cannot exist on $12-15/hr. Excuse me for saying this, but besides the terrible economy which is definitely a factor, I thought it was illegal to discriminate for age? I also feel a bit insulted about the Obama ads pushing us to go back to school. I cannot afford my own health insurance ($800/month), plus thousands I owe in taxes because of unemployment. So, how am I suppose to pay for school? How would a degree help me get a decent job at 60 years old?

Thank you so very much. I agree. If I see another ad about going back to college, or refinancing my mortgage, etc. I'm likely to heave. Thanks for the support and laugh !! We are paying ~$900/month for health insurance with $3,500 deductible. Renewed 2/2010, only option to previous amount. Unemployment $'s have run out.

On the business side. Were you asked any of the following:
How you kept your skills current?
Have you worked since then?
My concerns are even though I am taking online and doing workbooks (MS Suite) at home, this won't count as really keeping skills up. Also, I closed out one complicated estate and helped with two others (sold 2 houses, property transfers, worked with atty's, courts, etc. in 4 states). Are these considered transferrable skills?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Dear Seasoned... Thanx for your post. I have been asked if I have kept my skills current (if not required to test), by saying, "Absolute... Yes, I've been using (new version) since [date]." Most software in our previous years was thrown at us to get on and drive in the moment. That is how we learned and acquired the skill and we didn't need a documented course certificate or a degree--it was expected of us and we did it. The proof is in the pudding so-to-speak--exude confidence and let them know "you do all of it, are a software junky and having a wealth of experience can pretty much use whatever it is their company wants to use or update you with. You may want to add "that you have sources you use if there is something you need to know in a pinch"[that could be a techie friend or an online tutorial, although you don't have to reveal that]. THE FACT THAT YOU ARE DOING IT SPEAKS FOR ITSELF. You did the coursework and you have the skills--period. Most people w/ software skills are self-taught, although I've discovered that they pooh-pooh online degrees, but most employers want to know if you simply have the skills to use that they need.

As for "Have you worked since then?" you have, in this distressed ecomony, taking work on the side independently that have kept you up to speed. They don't have to know that it was for yourself unpaid. In all that you reference, you gained new experience and skills in new realms. You can say that you took on work on the side privately. Perhaps you could request from those attorneys and realtors a letter of reference of your professional interaction in the processes." All you have done has provided transferable skills--just not from an "employee" status and you needn't disclose it was for self. BESIDES, THESE QUESTIONS ARE PART OF THE GAME & OFTEN THE MINDSETS OF "AGEISM" THAT YOU NEED TO DISPEL AND ARE THE RATIONALE TO DISQUALIFY YOU. Be confident. Best wishes.

51 months ago

Small Town near Big Town in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Thank you so very much. I agree. If I see another ad about going back to college, or refinancing my mortgage, etc. I'm likely to heave. Thanks for the support and laugh !! We are paying ~$900/month for health insurance with $3,500 deductible. Renewed 2/2010, only option to previous amount. Unemployment $'s have run out.

On the business side. Were you asked any of the following:
How you kept your skills current?
Have you worked since then?
My concerns are even though I am taking online and doing workbooks (MS Suite) at home, this won't count as really keeping skills up. Also, I closed out one complicated estate and helped with two others (sold 2 houses, property transfers, worked with atty's, courts, etc. in 4 states). Are these considered transferrable skills?

Yes. I own a 3 family home and use Excel spreadsheets for my financials and filing itemized taxes.

I also had to explain my two year absence from the work force (even in this economy). I was honest. I spent a good deal of that time caring for a family member with Alzheimer's. I also spent time managing property, fund raising for Alzheimer's and cancer. These efforts utilize my experience and computer skills. I think it is important to let potential employers know that you have been active and utilizing some or most of your skills to stay current. But, in the end, it is your overall experience, professionalism and personality that will win them over. Good luck!

50 months ago

Seasoned EA in Wakefield, Massachusetts said: Yes. I own a 3 family home and use Excel spreadsheets for my financials and filing itemized taxes.

I also had to explain my two year absence from the work force (even in this economy). I was honest. I spent a good deal of that time caring for a family member with Alzheimer's.

Thank you very much for the response and encouragement. My dad had a series of mini-strokes and became completely disabled, couldn't walk/talk/read, etc., recovered completely, then died 15 days later. Commuted between 2 cities ~20 months. Dad sick in one town, hubby had 2 shoulder surgeries, mother-i-l needed help couple of wks, cleaned out/sold 2 houses, etc. I WAS working, as you said, but unpaid. I had thought of letter fr Head of Estate Court. She had told me more than once, she had not seen such complete records and signed off on 95% of reports we presented. Very complicated estate. Really would like to start an estate closing self-employed biz, but, don't know what certifications I'd need. I really did enjoy that part.
Tkx again.

emmcgee in Crofton, Maryland

42 months ago

SOSO in Duncanville, Texas said: Same here in Texas..good to know I'm not by myself but wish it was better for us all over 50..something has to change!

same here II.

Madalene in Irvington, New York

42 months ago

OCExecAsst in Fullerton, California said: I've 20+ years as an Exec Asst, supporting VPs and CEO's in suburbia vs metro; translation=mediocre money, basically living paycheck to paycheck as a middle-class single Mom, without ever really being able to save much. I worked hard and have been through it all, including surviving the 90's where I was laid off every 2 years over an 8 year period, w/ hospitals being bought/sold/changing hands were the norm then. I survived all including one lengthy employment gapof 10 months (I held out for $$$). I'm now in my mid-50 years and have been unemployed for over 2.5 years. Shame on me; my last position hired me knowing they were going to sell the company in 3 months and I would not be absorbed. I've lost count on the resumes I still continue to send out, registered with 7 agencies, and have been the #2 candidate that was not selected numerous times. Now I am the dreaded "over-qualified" word (ageism), despite being tech saavy, great background, references, professional appearance (I'm told I look far younger than I am) and healthy and note on every job site and forum the astringent hiring range is 24-45 year olds. What do we, the former backbones office support workforce that are 45 to 65??? Many of us have climbed to the top, only to slide down time after time. I realize that is life, but seriously, many of us are one-income households, have raised families, exhausted savings, lost homes and should be considered fortunate to receive $10-$14/hourly wages for the same jobs that once paid $50+K, where the workload has doubled/tripled, rentals/housing has doubled and half of the jobs have become obsolete since 2007! Change careers and more educational degrees in our 50's we're advised--and in what field will they hire us??? Work part-time jobs at Wal-Mart or CVS??? Unfortunately, many are there, miserable, existing rather than surviving. I've checked the senior workforce sites and rarely is there an EA/AA position. Any ideas?

crazy EA in Methuen, Massachusetts

39 months ago

Seasoned EA in Wakefield, Massachusetts said: Don't give up! I posted a comment a month ago and this week, I accepted an offer from a fantastic company. The position and salary are right on target for my years experience and skill set. It took me two years, but I will once again be employed. My advice is to keep networking and applying for as many positions as possible. This job offer came from me applying to an open position posted on Indeed. No networking, no headhunter. I send my best wishes and blessings to all of you!

What company did you get this job with???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Didi in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

39 months ago

Good for you. Glad thinkgs worked out. I'll be searching soon. Been handling estate work for 3 yrs and ready to go back to regular job. We all need encouragemant and the knowledge that someone got what they were looking for and wanted. Way to go.

Petsitter in Brookfield, Connecticut

35 months ago

OCExecAsst in Fullerton, California said: I've 20+ years as an Exec Asst, supporting VPs and CEO's in suburbia vs metro; translation=mediocre money, basically living paycheck to paycheck as a middle-class single Mom, without ever really being able to save much. I worked hard and have been through it all, including surviving the 90's where I was laid off every 2 years over an 8 year period, w/ hospitals being bought/sold/changing hands were the norm then. I survived all including one lengthy employment gapof 10 months (I held out for $$$). I'm now in my mid-50 years and have been unemployed for over 2.5 years. Shame on me; my last position hired me knowing they were going to sell the company in 3 months and I would not be absorbed. I've lost count on the resumes I still continue to send out, registered with 7 agencies, and have been the #2 candidate that was not selected numerous times. Now I am the dreaded "over-qualified" word (ageism), despite being tech saavy, great background, references, professional appearance (I'm told I look far younger than I am) and healthy and note on every job site and forum the astringent hiring range is 24-45 year olds. What do we, the former backbones office support workforce that are 45 to 65??? Many of us have climbed to the top, only to slide down time after time. I realize that is life, but seriously, many of us are one-income households, have raised families, exhausted savings, lost homes and should be considered fortunate to receive $10-$14/hourly wages for the same jobs that once paid $50+K, where the workload has doubled/tripled, rentals/housing has doubled and half of the jobs have become obsolete since 2007! Change careers and more educational degrees in our 50's we're advised--and in what field will they hire us??? Work part-time jobs at Wal-Mart or CVS??? Unfortunately, many are there, miserable, existing rather than surviving. I've checked the senior workforce sites and rarely is there an EA/AA position. Any ideas?

35 months ago

Petsitter in Brookfield, Connecticut said:

I have been in a simular situation. My husband passed away last year and left not a penny was sick for years. No insurance or anything. Lucky he had no debt and we have no children. Two weeks ago I was laid off and will be 61 next month. I have already been searching and have seen not a thing for 50 and over. I think the solution is tell all the agencies you only want to work temp to see what is out there. Take any hourly wage if it is close to home and I mean really close to home. If asked why you want only temp. Tell them you have been laid off too many times and want to see what companies may be solid before you take a permanent position. Go to all agencies within a area of where you want to work. I found alot of agencies have different positions so try and hit them all. Good luck.

crazy EA in Methuen, Massachusetts

35 months ago

The humor in this is, they hire the youngsters, who are definitely not qualified for the job and then what happens? I sent an e-mail to thank one of these EA's for something. She's much younger than I am, but makes 20K more/year. Her response to me was YOUR WELCOME!!! Haha, I always thought it was YOU'RE welcome, but that's just me and my old age I guess!!!

35 months ago

Yes corproation seem to be hiring the young but we have the experience and some companies will hire us. We come into work every day are there on time and rarely take time off. Younger generation are lucky they make it to work on Monday or if they do it is never on time and will take alot of time off.

I'm sure something will come up. With me somethng always does but I'm not srue what I really want to do since I am close to retirement. I have started advertising as a Petsitter and hope something will come thru. Wil be talking with someone about opening my own business. Will go back to school and finally get my BA degree not that it will help but never hurts. Keep i ntouch and let me know what comes up.

McCauley in Wimberley, Texas

35 months ago

Yes, I've been in similar situations. It took nearly a year to get the position that I am currently in. The last time, I would get called in for interviews, only to be rejected for younger candidates. I am currently employed and I am looking for a new position, because I feel I could be unemployed in the near future due to the situation that my current property is in and I would rather be employed and looking than unemployed and looking. I've sent out numerous resumes only to receive a confirmation and possible a note letting me know they have decided to pursue another candidate. I realize that when I have my next job interview I will have to sell myself and do everything possible to follow up.

35 months ago

The best of luck to you. I hope to land a temp position locally even though I know it will be for much less. But better than commuting an hour and $70 a week in gas. Leaving home at 7am and coming home after 7pm I just don't want to do anymore.

Nyds in Salt Lake City, Utah

30 months ago

crazy EA in Methuen, Massachusetts said: The humor in this is, they hire the youngsters, who are definitely not qualified for the job and then what happens? I sent an e-mail to thank one of these EA's for something. She's much younger than I am, but makes 20K more/year. Her response to me was YOUR WELCOME!!! Haha, I always thought it was YOU'RE welcome, but that's just me and my old age I guess!!!

I am 37, and it is bad here also. I have made as much as 50K per year as an Executive Assistant. I was laid off in 2010, as the company went out of business. I tried a leasing agent posistion, as that was all I could get and was let go three months later... "I did not fit the criteria". I attractive I think but I guess I needed to sell myself as well as the apartment to get the job done right. You ladies are older I know, but I finally did get hired as an EA in August of 2010, barely making 30K per year. They have hired other people, younger cuter for the sales team, admin department and these ladies and barely legal to drink and are making more that me. This is just crazy. I work so many hours, its exhausting. Getting sick is not even an option, because they still call you at home. I pray, pray, pray for things to change for the better. I did vote for Obama, this I most certainly regret.

Nyds in Salt Lake City, Utah

30 months ago

crazy EA in Methuen, Massachusetts said: The humor in this is, they hire the youngsters, who are definitely not qualified for the job and then what happens? I sent an e-mail to thank one of these EA's for something. She's much younger than I am, but makes 20K more/year. Her response to me was YOUR WELCOME!!! Haha, I always thought it was YOU'RE welcome, but that's just me and my old age I guess!!!

I am 37, and it is bad here also. I have made as much as 50K per year as an Executive Assistant. I was laid off in 2010, as the company went out of business. I tried a leasing agent posistion, as that was all I could get and was let go three months later... "I did not fit the criteria". I attractive I think but I guess I needed to sell myself as well as the apartment to get the job done right. You ladies are older I know, but I finally did get hired as an EA in August of 2010, barely making 30K per year. They have hired other people, younger cuter for the sales team, admin department and these ladies and barely legal to drink and are making more that me. This is just crazy. I work so many hours, its exhausting. Getting sick is not even an option, because they still call you at home. I pray, pray, pray for things to change for the better. I did vote for Obama, this I most certainly regret.

mad127 in Irvington, New York

30 months ago

I live in Westchester County, NY. I am 59 y.o and can run circles around the people being hired, the youngsters who not only cannot speak Englis, but cannot write either. I have been out of work for well over a year, have applied to every job, store and jobs I am overqualified for and still no calls. My unemployment will be gone very shortly and my husband who lost his job (he is 61) as a land surveyor three years ago is done too. He has 30 years of experience but there is no work in NY. We are forced to sell our beautiful three bedroom co-op unit and move to No. Carolina to survive.

Didi in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

30 months ago

our beautiful three bedroom co-op unit and move to No. Carolina to survive.
Where in No Carolina are you transferring to? Live near the capital and unemployment picture is not so rosey here either. There are quite a few networking groups around town though that might help.

emmcgee in Crofton, Maryland

30 months ago

Seasoned EA in Wakefield, Massachusetts said: Same situation for me. I am in my mid 50's with over 20 year experience supporting high level execs in software, hardware, corporate and have technical skills et al. Live in the Boston area. Lost my job in 2008 and have been on some interviews, mostly entry level. Heard "over qualified", plus I am single and cannot exist on $12-15/hr. Excuse me for saying this, but besides the terrible economy which is definitely a factor, I thought it was illegal to discriminate for age? I also feel a bit insulted about the Obama ads pushing us to go back to school. I cannot afford my own health insurance ($800/month), plus thousands I owe in taxes because of unemployment. So, how am I suppose to pay for school? How would a degree help me get a decent job at 60 years old?

Sounds just like me, late 50's, lots of experience, lost my job in '08. Its hard to get out of bed some days. Unemployment now says they overpaid me which is b.s. I think its a scam, they want money I don't have and they did not overpay me. It's so hard out here.

Elizabeth in Englewood, New Jersey

30 months ago

I'm in the same boat. I'm 50 years old with years of solid experience as an EA to C-level executives. I was laid off in 2007 and haven't been able to land a permanent position since. I volunteer, network and keep very current with my technical skills, continuing coursework, and fluent with social media.

I believe I'm definitely being targeted with age-discrimination. I believe this because I conducted a small experience -- I truncated my resume to shave off about "10 years," highlighting my most recent and pertinent positions, and eliminated the ones from 25 years ago, putting me in the "gray zone" with hiring managers, yet still showcasing valuable experience. I've had about 8 interviews in the past few months. I intially suggested a "phone interview" to do a preliminary discussion to see if we were on the same page. All of the employers were in agreement, and thought it was a good idea to do so. The phone interviews went very well and I made it to the next level, the "in person" interview. In person interviews simply did not connect, and it must be due to my age. My personality didn't change overnight from the phone interview. I considered myself an attractive woman, stylish, generally physically fit, neat, clean, nothing so offensive about my appearance that it would be off-putting. But ... they got to see that I'm over a certain age.

Ironically, very few bothered to be courteous enough to send me a "thank you but no thank you" email/or letter and the ones who did sent letters rife with spelling and grammatical errors. Go figure.

To those posting here in frustration, you're not alone. It's very distressing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

petsitter in Southbury, Connecticut

30 months ago

Your are correct once you hit tht age no company wants you. You can't prove it but companies do not want odler people.

beginagainla in Los Angeles, California

30 months ago

Workers over 40, particularly office workers, should retrain in a field that's not as discriminating. A lot of work that we used to do is being outsourced and can be done remotely through international freelance companies. This is horrible because they are bypassing minimum wage laws.

When retraining, be careful that you are not just throwing your money into another field in which you will also be unemployed. Everyone seems to be rushing for healthcare jobs to the point where they are now saturated. Be careful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christian Vastenavond in Mechelen, Belgium

16 days ago

Exactly the same happens in Europe, for me particularly in Belgium. I'm a 58 years old , engineer with Ph.D. fluent in 4 languages, a member of the board I had the legal status of independent (imposed by law in Belgium, but with as consequence no unmployment Insurance no income no nothing.)When my savings will be consumed ..I have nothing more to do than trying to sell my house.....and than .....???

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.