Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Host

What are typical executive administrative assistant salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Renee in Livonia, Michigan

92 months ago

I've been doing some research and on average an Exec, Admin, Assist. makes between $26,000-$42,000. For an entry leven Exec, Admin, Assist. it is usually around $21,500-$27,750.
If you go to www.payscale.com/research/us/job
It will show you how much you would be making dealing with years of experience, age, sex, location, company size... it's actually pretty cool. This site along with
www.iaap-hq.org
is where i got my information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Betty in Santee, California

83 months ago

I think the salary depends on the company, and the location.
I'm in California and I've never made below 40K, others that have been in the position longer make between 50-65K. IF you work for a CEO it usually is even higher 80K plus. Now this is for an Executive Assistant only, not a administrative assistant and again for C-level management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

admin in Bay Area, California

76 months ago

I agree, it depends on the company and location. I am no an EA just (or was) an Administrative Assistant supporting Directors and was making 54k.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sr EA in Portland, Oregon

69 months ago

The online salary calculators (payscale.com or monster.com, etc) I have seen online are bunk. Pay no attention to them. I haven't seen one that is close to accurate. That being said, I can tell you first hand that a true EA position typically pays anywhere from $60k - $90k; it depends on the company, the geographic location, and the culture of the company. A company that knows the value of a talented and professional assistant pays top dollar to employ the best.

Now, there are alot of clerical or admin job postings that simply use the title Executive Assistant, but then offer a salary of only $40k-$45k. So, you will find the salary range all over the board if you consider these lesser positions too.

If you have been an admin for 7-10 years, your skills are probably good enough to work for an executive, provided you have the professional demeanor and work ethic that is expected. So don't accept the mediocre paying position; hold out for a top notch position. It is a job you can be proud of, and the pay can be very good as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Janet Estenes in Warren, New Jersey

66 months ago

I was making $57.4 as an Executive Assistant after working for an information technology company for 16 years. I was laid off in December of 2008 and it seems difficult to even match what I was making. Several large companies have called me requesting my salary requirements and after I tell them what my last salary was I do not get a call back. Has anyone else experienced this reaction?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Fort Myers, Florida

64 months ago

Host said: What are typical executive administrative assistant salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

You need all Microsoft Office -Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Calendar.

Most Exec Assist report to Vice Presidents, Sr. Vice President and Exec. Vice President before they get to the President or CEO, CFO.

The range is $50 to 70K. If you working under a sales dept. you may be given a nice bonus from your boss.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KVS in Boston, Massachusetts

61 months ago

Janet Estenes in Warren, New Jersey said: I was making $57.4 as an Executive Assistant after working for an information technology company for 16 years. I was laid off in December of 2008 and it seems difficult to even match what I was making. Several large companies have called me requesting my salary requirements and after I tell them what my last salary was I do not get a call back. Has anyone else experienced this reaction?

I am running into the same problem. Supporting a C level exec I was making in the 90k range and the salaries have really come down and I am having the same problem trying to find something even in the 70s

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed in Tucson, Arizona

61 months ago

KVS in Boston, Massachusetts said: I am running into the same problem. Supporting a C level exec I was making in the 90k range and the salaries have really come down and I am having the same problem trying to find something even in the 70s

I moved to Tucson from San Diego; salaries are about 25% less, if you can find a job. My honest opinion is take any job that seems decent, and learn to live on less; it is better to have employment on your resume that a long period of unemployment.

I would never give a salary-just tell them your requirements will be based on their requirements. Let them decide they must have you first, then negotiate salary.

CTAdmin

61 months ago

Hi to All,
I live in Conn. about an hour away from NYC. I worked for a major corporatin in the IT Dept. My base was 58400.00 I make another 10-15K in overtime. Admin.'s a year or so ago came in to the company making 60K or more. We all worked overtime. In May the elimined jobs, mine was one.

I have been applying and inteirviewing since May. I took one job that was a temp job, for 26.00 an hour. It was 45 mins. away.
I was offered another temp job for 25 but couldn't take it because i was at the other assignment.

Most recently, I am waiting on a, "projecect admin." role. The pay is 30.00 an hour and I had to fight for that, if I even get the job. It's a bout 40 mins. ride from my house at a major corporation.

As for regular jobs, i've gotten calls with offer's of very low salary in some cases. If you target larger companies, and metro area's and find out who thier temporary agencies are, that helps.

I am hoping to get the contract IT assignment I mentioed above because of the pay being 30.00 an hour. That is through a technical agency and the role is, "project admin".

I am a single home owner and pretty soon, I will be running out of severence. Unemployment will not even cover my mortgage. So, this is giving me extra motivation.

As far as a project assistant desecription: IT's usually assisting IT or Finance technical teams and leaders/project managers. You may do data projects, or sit in on a software team. There may be minute taking but they give you a laptop. It's good to learn Microsoft Project also if you can.

So,I am supposed to find out today and am hoping for the best.

Good luck to everyone also.

Val FL in Clearwater, Florida

60 months ago

Janet Estenes in Warren, New Jersey said: I was making $57.4 as an Executive Assistant after working for an information technology company for 16 years. I was laid off in December of 2008 and it seems difficult to even match what I was making. Several large companies have called me requesting my salary requirements and after I tell them what my last salary was I do not get a call back. Has anyone else experienced this reaction?

I am just a "plain ole Administrative Assistant" - I have almost 20 years of experience supporting project managers in the engineering industry - and I could really use some advice on the "salary requirements" and "salary history" demand question. I received a substantial raise a few months before I was laid off and my final rate was quite a bit higher than the salary range I've seen for admin. asst. positions in this area and I wonder if that alone puts off prospective employers. When given a chance I explain I wasn't at that salary level for very long. Second, are there any practical ways to get around the "salary requirements" demand when submitting a resume? I'm getting a feeling that the sad truth is employers are taking advantage of the bad economy and number of desperate unemployed people to hire whoever is willing to work for the least amount of money rather than who is best for position. Then again I would rather not work for an employer with that attitude ... but I'm still wanting to get someone to look at my resume, especially for positions where I seem to be a good match ... rather then getting dismissed offhand because I made "too much" money at my last job or appear to be asking/expecting "too much" for a salary. Help! Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

CTAdmin

60 months ago

I have had this problem also, but when I talk with the recruiter, I mention that I am "flexible" on the salary. My last call, they told me that the salary was fine. that interview was this past Friday, and I am waiting to hear back on a 2nd round of interviews.

I have also noticed employer's are doubling up the work load and one HR person even told me I had to lower my expectation. I do believe that some employers are taking advantage of the bad economy. But, if they checked the cost of living in some areas, that cost has not gone down in my area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Who? Me! in Charlotte, North Carolina

60 months ago

Host said: What are typical executive administrative assistant salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

I work for a Fortune 20 and my base salary was $45,000 in 2007.

My base salary was increased in 2008 to $52,000 after obtaining my BS.

In 2009, my base salary was once again increased to $82,380 once I completed a year of my graduate degree.

Once I complete my MBA (expected 2010), the pay scale for my position will bring my base salary to $102,500.

If you want top dollar as an Assistant, you have to become an extension of your boss. You need a real education not the occasional seminar.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Conn Admin

60 months ago

Great post. I was fortunate and made 68K-71K without the degree. I went to a top program for administration that was a year and a half and had some paralegal training and some college. Still, I worked for a fortune 500 company. The salaries are higher. I was there a long time (15 years) so my pay accumulated. So I was paid for my experience and was lucky to by pass the formal training.

I worked overtime as well. But, I do agree the education helps.

Congrats on your accomplishments.

Amazed in San Diego, California

58 months ago

I was making $77k base and getting around 8k as a bonus yearly as an Executive Assistant at a biotechnology company. The economy led to the demise of the company and so now I'm out looking. Right now, the most I've found is around $65k supporting a VP (instead of the CEO that I used to support and no stock options or bonus). Competition is fierce. For one job I was told that they received 200 applications in 2 days and that I was one of 4 people brought in for interviews. I did not get this position in the end, and, they clearly wanted the work of three people (support 15 people, plus set up and manage a new office). Yes, this is a market economy and like the great depression, there are always those who will take less when push comes to shove. I've never been unemployed, so this has been an eye opener.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laidoff in CT

58 months ago

To San Diego- I feel the same. I have always been able to get a job. It's scary. I keep trying. My last job the team I supported was 75 plus 100 contractors. They were technical so in some ways independant. But, it was a busy job. I honestly feel there was not a "true" reason to cut my job. It was my boss, and a way to get me out of there easily. No one has replaced me yet, but I am sure they will sneak a temp in there at some point. Pretty much my ex boss had a list, and most that were laid off were people who stood up to the poor management behavior. I thought I had gotten past that with the boss, but they waited a few years for this golden opportunitiy to cut my job. It was the ultimate revenge. It was a large company and I tried to transfer out but, my boss always made it hard. I still got decent reviews but the lay offs were just a way to make the balance sheet look good. They hire people every month for double my salary. My work is farmed out to the other staff or self service.

As far as the job market, it's very hard and you have to use all resoures and all sights available to you, and even then.. no gaurantes.

Last interview I told them I would take less. Most years I made between 68-80K, and believe me working for 75 plus was not easy.
but it was a job.

Sometimes I think it's a blessing and I will find something better, other times I am scared of losing everything I worked so hard for.

This keeps me motivated. I have a lot to lose if I don't find a job. So, now I have to press forward and put the past behind me.

There's many emotions and dissapointments, but things can only go up from here.

Amazed at the Economy in San Diego, California

58 months ago

Don't lose heart and be sure you have a positive and upbeat resume. I've had two calls to set up interviews this past week (of course how much they will really pay is still unknown)!
Now this is also important: do you have a good reference despite your ex-boss? An option might be to write yourself a glowing letter of recommendation and have him merely sign it. I've heard that many will do this so as not to appear to be a complete jerk. Also, most of the time if you include such a latter in your application materials, it may deter HR from contacting him further, but rather moving to one of your other (more positive) references on the list. Just a thought...

Laidoff in CT

58 months ago

Thanks so much for your response. I do have a solid reference list. I heard my ex boss did give me a good reference, but as per company policy, they are not allowed to give otherwise. I signed an agreement to get severance and as part of company policy, they have to call an "800" number for refs. But, my list of references are all people who will give a verbal.

I have had a few background checks done and I did well on those.

I am glad you have an interview. But, yes, I love t he way the companies now include an area where you have to put in desired salary. I usually write back and say, what is the pay range for this role?

They are all trying to be cheap. I can take a cut but I need enough to live and pay for the cost of living here which has not gone down.

Good luck and keep us posted on the job.

I hope it works out for you.

I have already applied for several jobs today.

Maybe I will hear back.

58 months ago

Have you also set up an account for yourself at linkedin.com ? I did this and put the link near the top of my resume and now am connected to my previous co-workers (and all of their connections). The site lets you also upload a picture of yourself, which I always wanted to find a way of including in my resume (but could never find another legit way to do this). Also, it shows that you are current with the latest internet networking craze and I've found 90% of the recruiters I've talked to are on there as well. Email me at my personal address and i'll send you a copy of my resume so you'll get the idea. schwabery (at) yahoo
(I don't want to write out the entire address or I'll get spammed, you get the idea tho.).

58 months ago

P.s. If they are going to be cheap, there is no way of getting around it. I suggest putting your lowest acceptable salary in there and then if it comes down to an offer and they are "sold" on you, then you can discuss the career track of the job. When I've talked to HR reps, I've told them honestly what my base salary was (but added in a confidential tone) that in this economy I realize that I must refine my expectations and I'm okay with that. They have been friendly so far with this approach...

Laidoff in CT

58 months ago

Thanks for the great ideas. I am also on Linked in. I do see postings but the same one's are usually on the sites too. But, it is still a good resource. I had it on my resume, and as part of my "package", they provided a professional resume rewrite. The person there told me to take the "linked in" off my resume. She wasn't from this part of the country, and I think it's important to keep up with the technical options available. Plus, people can give you references also.

Well, today I found a frew postings. Some are agents trying to stockpile good candidates and make money, and other's are "real" jobs.

I talked to another friend who was cut when I was. She has not had one interview. I am meeting her for lunch to see if I can cheer her up and give her some pointers. Of course, it's great to get all the idea's possible.

Honestly, we sure can't help that the economy is poor, but we can sure as heck, keep on trying.

I just spent a few hours doing yard work. It keeps me busy and my yard looks nice.

Usually Thanksgiving to Xmas is the "blackout" time for hiring, but you can't always go by that.

So, we have to try now to see what we can get and be dilligent in searching this month.

jonesj50 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

I was just offered a Administrative Assistant to the President/CEO of a large non-profit agency. The salary offer they made was $37,000. I believe this is a low salary offer. While I understand the economy is poor right now, I believe it is in my best interest to counter offer with at least a salary of $40,000. Any thoughts anyone. Thanks in advance for your honest answers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

charlene-o in San Diego, California

53 months ago

This is ridiculously low in my neck of the woods, even for a non-profit, but only the best funded and successful non-profits pay a competitive price. You did not mention what you made at your previous job. I was recently forced to accept a lower paying job (about 10k less a year) after massive layoffs at my company of twelve years. I was upfront about my previous pay to my new employer, but told them that I realized it was a "new world" and that I did not expect to start where I had left off with the more established company.

If you decide to go for it, couch your request in positive terms regarding your excitement about coming on board and really making a positive impact. Another option is to take what they offer, but ask them to review your performance after an introductory period and reassess your value then. Good luck!

laid off in Pittsburgh area in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

I am having the same problem. I have been a Senior Administrative Assistant for more than 21 years in private industry. I left my private industry position to work for the Fed Gov. (working for the fed was one of my personal goals) also the current company I worked for was starting to lay off people and had a nasty female boss.

However, this was definitely the wrong move for me since I was laid off after less than a year at the FED agency and Now I have been looking for a job for the past 9 months. Pittsburgh PA market for administrative professionals is way low. Most temp agencies offer as low as $8.00 hr. to the highest I have seen here has been $17.00. My salary when laid off was $43,700. I will be 51 this year and this makes it even harder even though age is not supposed to be used against you for a job.

I still have several months of unemployment, I own my own home because it was my parents house and was given to me, so I do not have a mortgage but I worry about health benefits running out. I am in the running for a temp. job for 1 year plus at a major company I used to work for, this job would pay $17.00/hr with limited benefts, no vacation, no sick days. I am hoping to get it so that I can get back into this company. I have applied for over 50 jobs but have only had 3 interviews.

I hope something good comes along soon for all of us in the same boat!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

I feel been in St. Louis! in Florissant, Missouri

21 months ago

I've been an administrative assistant making $25,000.I've also had the title Senior Administrative Assistant at a small non-profit that also dealt with human resources (I really enjoyed hr and would like to get back into it!) where I started $25,000 with my salary going up to $28,600. I want to know WHO THE HECK ARE THE ADMINS MAKING THESE BIG BUCKS IN ST. LOUIS?!?!?! Anytime I interview for a position they keep quoting me this high school money when they see that I have an exemplary background and I have a Bachelor of Arts and Associate of Arts in Communications. I don't understand it....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.