Boom or bust?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most executive administrative assistant opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Who? Me! in Charlotte, North Carolina

61 months ago

Complete bust! Assistants are constantly on the chopping block. Well, the not so good ones are constantly on the chopping block.

The position is no longer about typing and answering phones. No longer does wearing a suit every day make you an exceptional assistant. Assistants now have to become an extension of the executive they support. The majority are incapable.

As a result, corporations are not placing much value on assistants and doing away with the position. After all, who would pay $52,000 a year for someone that answers a phone, types, and wears a suit to work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Amazed at the Economy in San Diego, California

59 months ago

Like every sector in a free market economy, it will pick up when business picks up. Unfortunately, the indicators are not good in the near term. I suggest focusing efforts in areas known to be growing such as healthcare. Also, when government or state jobs come up, consider them even though they pay less in actual salary. Look at the benefits in total. I recently applied for an EA position at UCSD. I know from experience that once in the state system you are well taken care of as far as healthcare, pension, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.