How Many Executives Does and Admin Support

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Adminonthego in Austin, Texas

72 months ago

I've just interviewed for Executive Assistant position where I would be supporting two executives and helping around in the office. With my last post I supported one executive and every once in a while I helped other managers. I am wondering if this is normal. If so, what is the compensation for this type of position. I would think it is more but they don't seem to budge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KD in Boston, Massachusetts

71 months ago

I support one svp and 10 Direct reports under him as well as a VP of Finance.. I place all orders for supplies for 165 people and do most of the meeting scheduling for the 12 people listed above,. makes the day go very fast! thsi is normal in a large company... depending on your experience you and location is key in how much you make.. we have a ceiling rate for my position so I cannot make anymore but what I make is pretty sufficient!! I do get bonuses once in a while too.. maybe that is something you could qualify for on east coast make btw 30K- 52K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

Adminonthego in Austin, Texas said: I've just interviewed for Executive Assistant position where I would be supporting two executives and helping around in the office. With my last post I supported one executive and every once in a while I helped other managers. I am wondering if this is normal. If so, what is the compensation for this type of position. I would think it is more but they don't seem to budge.

I report to three exec.'s (one of whom is NEVER in office and another is only in office 50% of the time). I make $52 per year and have just negotiated a 40% raise. I think you can get a lot of money if 1. You start with a higher salary - ask for more than you think you should, the worst they can do is say "no." 2. make them completely dependent upon you - my guys are so scared that I'll quit that they are willing to fight to get me the money I've asked for, not to mention a blackberry, home computer, and permission to leave early and "work from home" if there's nothing going on in the office. The key is to always be there when they need you, get along with everyone, do excellent work, and to anticipate their needs whenever possible. The third thing that will help to get you more money is to try to work for the big money makers at the company. They hold all the power and some of that is bound to rub in the form of perks for you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jo Ann in Atlanta, Georgia

61 months ago

I also worked for a huge company. I support 2 VPs, 14 Directors and 28 Managers. That's 44 people. Same goes for me, I do all scheduling, ordering supplies, processing invoices, T&Es. All the normal activities of an EA. I thought that was the "New Norm" for Executive Assistants to support 50 employees to 1 VP:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joni Walker in Irvine, California

46 months ago

Jo Ann in Atlanta, Georgia said: I also worked for a huge company. I support 2 VPs, 14 Directors and 28 Managers. That's 44 people. Same goes for me, I do all scheduling, ordering supplies, processing invoices, T&Es. All the normal activities of an EA. I thought that was the "New Norm" for Executive Assistants to support 50 employees to 1 VP:)

Wow - that is not the norm in California! I report to one exec - SVP/GM and share support to another VP. All of the Sr. Directors/Managers do their own scheduling, so effectively I only manage 1-2 calendars at a time - the rest of the individuals handle their own but may need my assistance if it involves a large mtg. I wear alot of other hats, so cannot possibly support that many execs as I have other admin duties that tie up my time. You say that you support 2 VPs, is there one of those 2 that is the person you report into administratively only? I find that if there is more than 1 manager to report to that there can be many issues. Please let me know what you think. Thanks much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RJ in Palo Alto, California

30 months ago

Joni Walker in Irvine, California said: Wow - that is not the norm in California! I report to one exec - SVP/GM and share support to another VP. All of the Sr. Directors/Managers do their own scheduling, so effectively I only manage 1-2 calendars at a time - the rest of the individuals handle their own but may need my assistance if it involves a large mtg. I wear alot of other hats, so cannot possibly support that many execs as I have other admin duties that tie up my time. You say that you support 2 VPs, is there one of those 2 that is the person you report into administratively only? I find that if there is more than 1 manager to report to that there can be many issues. Please let me know what you think. Thanks much!

I'm a Sr. EA for 15 years now and have been in my current position for 7 years. I support 5 VPs and their Directors (14 people in all). I’m under one VPs budget however in a large company it has becoming typical to support more than one VP.

In my present role, each VP is a different Alliance. I’m the liaison between my company and the company my VP works with (i.e. AMD, Microsoft, etc..) It is very tough to make each VP feel your giving him/her just as much support as the others and still be proficient at what you do.

I handle 5 calendars at all times, with each Alliance have quarterly CEO and CTO meetings with these companies (40 meeting a year in all) that I have to do the logistics. I wonder if I would be bored supporting only 1 VP/SVP?

I have worked in the Bay Area the entire time and for large fortune 100 companies. I seem to come across a lot of very old school EAs that support 1 person at 1 company for 20+ years and won’t do anything outside of that or new young EAs that have just graduated from college with no experience making the big $$. based on their degree.

I’m in the middle, where I’m paid average, work hard and feel under appreciated. Supports everyone and everything that comes my way as I am a

CS in Jersey City, New Jersey

30 months ago

I have worked as an EA in New Jersey/New York for the past 5 years and worked in the administrative field for over 7 years.
I agree with Heather from Los Angeles. You need to make yourself indispensable to the executives you support and try to support those individuals who are making the big bucks.
I have gone from supporting a department, to supporting 3 executives and a department of 10 people, to supporting 6 executives, 1 director and a staff of 7, to my current position where I only support one person and her small team of 3. I feel that in today's world, an EA must wear many "hats" and be able to fulfill tasks outside of the normal realm of an EA - completing monthly and quarterly variance analyses and the budget forecast for the department.
My lowest salary as an AA was $29K, and I now make $64K with bonus and overtime. I may also be up for a raise this year.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.