Job Satisfaction

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

P Witkamp in El Segundo, California

84 months ago

It amazes me how divisive many people are, delighting in creating conflict and confusion. Although the company stresses teamwork, I observe the exact opposite.

What do you think of the "corporate" environment and its "medieval" mentality?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Smyrna, Georgia

82 months ago

I personally steer clear of conflict and those known for being trouble-makers.

Marian

80 months ago

P Witkamp in El Segundo, California said: It amazes me how divisive many people are, delighting in creating conflict and confusion. Although the company stresses teamwork, I observe the exact opposite.

What do you think of the "corporate" environment and its "medieval" mentality?

I agree with you, I have now been in corporate america for 30 years and have concluded that there are more individuals adept at creating the SPIN and those that create the SPIN are the same individuals who postulate team work. I have a few theories as to why they do it, but I have yet to settle on one cause.

Prairie in Los Angeles, California

80 months ago

You're right. It's multi-leveled. Basically, we've again become a slave state, economic slave state. How can we fight back when we're in an eternal battle of survival. We really need leadership that will commit to changing things for the better. I know that when I can, I will start my own little business and take it from there. Anything is better than doing nothing. I can't imagine leaving this world to my grand-children the way it is now. It's shameful.

Marian

80 months ago

But you are a leader. You have already solved the dilemna - start your own business! Good luck!

Jeff Rossignol in Old Fields, West Virginia

79 months ago

How many wish it was SAFE to do something about your work enviornment? When I mean safe, I mean, make the place a little nicer to work at without your own job being threatened.

Marian

79 months ago

I am curious, are you referring to the physical space OR the corporate culture?

Jeff Rossignol in Old Fields, West Virginia

79 months ago

I am referring to the corporate culture.

Prairie in Riverside, California

79 months ago

Jeff Rossignol in Old Fields, West Virginia said: How many wish it was SAFE to do something about your work enviornment? When I mean safe, I mean, make the place a little nicer to work at without your own job being threatened.

Being nice yourself can rub off, other than that just keep looking for a job that has embraced civility into its philosophy. It's virtually impossible to change an environment unless you are management.

I'm curious, what is the status quo now?

Jeff Rossignol in Wardensville, West Virginia

79 months ago

Prairie in Riverside, California said: Being nice yourself can rub off, other than that just keep looking for a job that has embraced civility into its philosophy. It's virtually impossible to change an environment unless you are management.

I'm curious, what is the status quo now?

I don't have a figure. I was hoping for more replies. I found a website that people can send their boss a leadership gift book completely anonymously. So their job won't be threatened.

www.capwiseleader.com/index_files/EmployeeRevolution.htm

I have worked alot jobs where the AA or EA talk like they are perpetual victims. I am curious if employees had the chance to encourage their boss would they do it or be locked in fear?

Prairie in Riverside, California

79 months ago

First, I'm not in Riverside. Don't know how that happened. I'm in Santa Monica.

Second, most people are afraid that their email at work is monitored so their employers know who and what is being said.

Third, managers love to abuse merely because they can. It's fun pushing subordinates around. Really makes one feel superior.

Fourth, I have a BS in Business that I received in 2004. It simply won't be utilized where I am now and I'm consistently looking elsewhere. Where I am employed now, it's not important to management.

Fifth, hopefully in a year or two I can start my own business.

Yes, I know there are two sides to every story. From what I've observed over the years, most admins (not all) just master the art of kissing up. There are two admins I work with now that just "coast" and do as little as possible. Working is a foreign word to them.

I'm convinced that they never advance admins because they want admins to stay where they are and do the grunt work that no one else wants to.

So, the old days of promoting and giving distinction to exceptional workers is gone. Everything is about the budget. If you leave, they could care less, which brings out the worst in people. Many resort to looking for ways to sue the company for whatever they can get away with.

Enough, have to get to work. (LOL)

Take care--maybe some day we can all get together and find a way to start our own business. I have a name in mind for mine, WUP, Inc. (Worthless Unimportant People, Inc.)

Have a great day!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sue in San Francisco, California

74 months ago

I just spent the worst 7 months of my life working for a bipolar CEO. I have hundreds of hateful, demeaning emails he has sent me. Over the 7 months he used every opportunity to "put me in my place" so to speak. He started out giving me project work (which I loved) then suddenly turned on me and pulled me off of everything so all I had left was to work his calendar. He wanted me to be completely mindful of his needs and activities but, when asked if we could do a brief meeting of say 15 minutes once a week, he told me NO - you'll just have to catch me as you can. From then I was actually afraid to open his mails because they would blow me away as they were never based on fact but something he would arrive at in his own mind. The sad thing is he presents himself as this kind and caring person who never wants to hurt or cause pain for anyone, when he is really quite the opposite.

His termination of me Friday last was the icing on the cake. I have saved all of his emails and they paint a pretty dismal picture of the type of person he is.
I'm considering seeing a labor law attorney but don't know if I'd have a case or not. Even sadder, I see him do this type of thing over and over again to others. He torments you and creates such a hostile environment that it's practically unbearable and then when he's through, he fires you.

Any suggestions?

Marian

74 months ago

Sue, I am sorry to hear that your boss was so difficult.

Have you contacted the EEOC in your state? In my opinion and this is a personal opinion, you should let a professional advise you on the merits of your complaint. From what I recall you do not have to pay fees to the EEOC, but you must be mindful that once you file a complaint (and you should confirm this with the EEOC or counsel) it may become part of public information which means that anyone including a possible new employer could view the complaint on line.

Before you do anything make sure you know your rights and you know if these complaints or inquiries are publically disclosed. You certainly do not want to tarnish your good name and your business reputation.

Are your references from previous employers solid? Can you use them to get employment elsewhere? Have you thought about temporary work until you chill a bit?

Don't despair!

Sue in San Francisco, California

74 months ago

Thank you for your good advice and information.
I'm still a bit in shock over the whole thing. My references from other employers are rock solid, excellent, outstanding and they can't understand why this happened any more than I can. I have thought about temping, but I need to have insurance as well. I will take all of your advice and think long and hard. I just wish there was a way to stop his abuse. Another thing I didn't add is he is Indian and they already have little regard for women in the first place. They never want to hear they are wrong even when they clearly are. I've worked in high-tech for 19 years now and I have loads of Indians that are very close friends so this kind of treatment has been horrific!! I designed their company logo so everything I turn around I will have to see that on buildings, in stores, just everywhere!!! Now I'm rambling so I will stop. Thank you so very much for taking time to comment...much appreciated!

Marian

74 months ago

It could be a cultural difference. I live in New York city. I understand the absolute necessity of benefits, several NY City agencies now offer benefits if you work more than 20 hours in week.

I would be in shock too! After 19 years you think you have seen it all, and then something like that happens. You can't figure it out! Good Luck and please post it when you get that new job. You deserve it!

sue, the idealist in you wants to stop him from abusing another assistant. Although that is great, realistically sometimes it is better to move onward, forward and upward.

Be well!

Prairie in Redondo Beach, California

74 months ago

Definitely look into lodging a discrimination suit against him, simply because being fired really hurts your job history. Because he is a CEO, your chances are pretty slim, e.g. his word against yours, but it wouldn't hurt to talk to a lawyer about it.

From my own experience, when I was much younger, I had a lot of problems with employers. Often, they want your attention in ways you're not willing to give, and when they realize this, they start to punish you. He was probably hoping that all the nasty emails, etc. would prompt you to quit. When that didn't happen, he decided to show you just how "powerful" he was and booted you out the door.

I still see men in the corporate environment, who equate admins as hookers. When it doesn't work out that way, they hire and fire, over and over again (like a revolving door) until they find someone who will "dish out". It's sick yet reality.

Even at my age, I still get propositioned, usually by married men, rarely the single ones, and I guess most men (not all) can't help themselves.

Hang in there, try to get a job for a really large company where there is a strong HR program against this kind of behavior.

Let me know how you make out. You sound like a great person.

Good luck to you!!

Deb in Arvada, Colorado

40 months ago

Sue in San Francisco. Would love to talk to you about your posting as I am in a similiar situation.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.