Do You Use A Blackberry as an EA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Lynda PNW in Beaverton, Oregon

60 months ago

Many job postings require that the Executive Assistant be proficient using a Blackberry. Do EA's take it home so you are "on call" for urgent changes? Do you carry it to lunch with you? How do you use it to communicate with your boss?

Thanks for your insight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jad in Hudson, Ohio

60 months ago

Lynda PNW in Beaverton, Oregon said: Many job postings require that the Executive Assistant be proficient using a Blackberry. Do EA's take it home so you are "on call" for urgent changes? Do you carry it to lunch with you? How do you use it to communicate with your boss?

Thanks for your insight.

Yes, you are expected to be a professional and available when necessary. Many progressive and younger executives are ditching the Blackberry and going for the IPhone...so better to familiarize yourself with all of the applications available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 year old EA with over 12 years exp. in Raleigh, North Carolina

59 months ago

Lynda PNW in Beaverton, Oregon said: Many job postings require that the Executive Assistant be proficient using a Blackberry. Do EA's take it home so you are "on call" for urgent changes? Do you carry it to lunch with you? How do you use it to communicate with your boss?

Thanks for your insight.

I worked in the corporate EA environment in my past two jobs in which I worked at both for 5 years. The managers I had were very demanding and I carried my company blackberry literally "everywhere" (even the restroom). Not sure what you are use to but I was on my blackberry 24/7. To me it is expected, especially if you're supporting a VP or above.

08-14-2009 in Round Rock, Texas

59 months ago

I think this is style of the EA and manager. I know several EAs who carry Blackberries, but they're also the types that believe they have to copy everything from their boss' Outlook calendar to their own. They carry the Blackberry so they can see everyone of their boss' emails as it comes in, and stay as up-to-the-minute as the boss.

Personally, I don't work this way. I think one of an assistant's most important duties is to be physically present at their desk. The boss is on the move, the assistant shouldn't be. If you're at your computer most of the time, why do you need mobile access? Just look at your boss' calendar or email directly through Outlook.

I say: Save the company some money. There's little reason for an EA to have a mobile device like Blackberry or iPhone. Same goes for business cards. Every dollar counts. Do you really need these status symbols to be successful?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

PNW in Seattle, Washington

50 months ago

Thanks for your insight.

I carry a BB for private and company use. RR/Texas - your view is not 21st century - in fact I had to look twice to see what year you typed your response. Your 'desk' is not a hard service anymore. While being 'there' is important it is equally important to be in sync w/the boss and if they carry a BB you should also. Face it - there are times you take a walk, actually eat away from your desk and even go home. It is better to know you have a fire going and be ready than to walk into a fire. I carry a BB - I am a professional - I pay for it myself because I want to also use it for my private life - and yes, I do have some private life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Ha! Thanks, PNW in Seattle, Washington. I see my comment touched a nerve about the status symbol issue, which tells me that's a concern for you. I say that if you think there's a great case for using your BB to stay ahead of the work game, pitch it to your boss! Request the company to cover the expense. Even if your company does not see the same brilliance in EAs carrying company Blackberries that you see, hey, what better way to demonstrate your commitment to staying ahead of the game? Surely that has got to reflect favorably on your next performance and salary reviews if nothing else. -- Sorry, but if you ask me, an employee spending money on company tools if very 19th Century, not 21st, but to each their own.

PNW in Seattle, Washington

50 months ago

OK - good point Texas....we are trying to be aware of the huge budget crisis we have going on here. I choose to have a BB for my home use - if I ask the company to pay for it - then they own it and I can't make private calls or emails on that tool or if I do - they can tap into those and charge me or even use it as cause against me (using company tools for private use. I could make a point of it for the purchase but again - choose not to be tied that way. I also purchase a few of my own tools for my desk so I can carry them with me if I go to a new desk - and not have to share my toys :D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Great point, too! No one is touching MY red Swingline stapler -- that goes from job to job with me! ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

titijoanne in Juncos, Puerto Rico

42 months ago

I have my own personal iphone and I have my company's email as well as my personal email on my iphone. It has become a very useful tool for work. I pay for it myself and I prefer to have full control of my iphone account. My company promotes people to have their work email on their personal smartphones by providing step-by-step instructions with print screen on how to set it up on several platforms. I think that the environment that we are in these days, you need to stay on top of technology or risk falling behind. You need to know what is happening or what is waiting for you at work. It has actually been a life saver for me at work. I text with my boss all the time (using free unlimited texting apps) and it has been extremely useful.
This comes with the territory when you support a Top Level Executive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.