Managing my boss

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Unemployed Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida

79 months ago

think he just wants YOU to make him better and keep you in your place. Did he give you a book to read? If so wow! He wants you do to his job and make him look good. Dump him and the job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Aslan in Great Falls, Virginia

79 months ago

kathy d in Columbus, Ohio said: my boss gave me a week to but and read a few books and come up with 20 items on how I can make him a better CEO using my executive asst. skills !! I have worked with him for 5 years and have been an exec. asst for approx. 18 years - things run pretty smoothly but every once in a while he comes up with something like this. I just dont know how much more I can do for him to try and keep him inform and organized.
Any executive asst. tips would be greatly appreciated. thank you

I like this site..browse through it and you might find the 20 things he should do to be a better manager working with an EA.
www.manager-tools.com/2006/05/effective-executiveefficient-assistant-part-1/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida

79 months ago

I liked the website but again I believe that Kathy D's issue is having her boss stop pestering her about making HIM a better boss. What he wants is for her figure out how to help him instead of helping himself. Keeping him abreast of what is going on around him, outside the office, inside the office, what is being said about this and that,keeping him posted on updates as far as the job goes. Letting him know who is doing what etc. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink!

Irene in Parlin, New Jersey

77 months ago

Come up with 25, but don't give them to him unless he agrees to give you a raise. You sure deserve it!

Joe in Stamford, Connecticut

77 months ago

Your boss sounds like a real jerk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

08-14-2009 in Round Rock, Texas

61 months ago

This is a great example of the communication gap. I read here a few people thinking this was mean of the boss, whereas I interpret is as a gift!

I think about if my spouse said to me, "Is there anything you've thought of that would make this process in our lives run more smoothly!" I'd be smiling from ear-to-ear, and shout, "I thought you'd never ask!"

I see this as a boss who knows he has an untapped resource with a great assistant, and wants her input on which of her ideas he can put into process to make them a better team. This is a fantastic compliment, and the sort of opportunity that is a real open door!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

CEO's EA in Bothell, Washington

60 months ago

08-14-2009 in Round Rock, Texas said: This is a great example of the communication gap. I read here a few people thinking this was mean of the boss, whereas I interpret is as a gift!

I think about if my spouse said to me, "Is there anything you've thought of that would make this process in our lives run more smoothly!" I'd be smiling from ear-to-ear, and shout, "I thought you'd never ask!"

I see this as a boss who knows he has an untapped resource with a great assistant, and wants her input on which of her ideas he can put into process to make them a better team. This is a fantastic compliment, and the sort of opportunity that is a real open door!

You SCORE! Great attitude - and if you're ever in Seattle, I'll hire you!

08-14-2009 in Round Rock, Texas

59 months ago

CEO's EA in Bothell, Washington said: You SCORE! Great attitude - and if you're ever in Seattle, I'll hire you!

HAHA, thanks so much for the backup, Bothell! I tell ya, if the job market continues here in the Austin area the way it has lately, someday I may just take you up on that! ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed after 16 1/2 yrs. in Mesa, Arizona

56 months ago

Aslan in Great Falls, Virginia said: I like this site..browse through it and you might find the 20 things he should do to be a better manager working with an EA.
www.manager-tools.com/2006/05/effective-executiveefficient-assistant-part-1/

A few years ago my boss(principal of an Civil Engineering firm) said that I needed to help him keep better track of what was on his desk, calendar, and deadlines to make things run smoother. I assisted him and also was the Project Coordinator to 4 Project Managers. I came up with ways of how he could use his calendar to stay on task and file organization for the day to day paper work that required his attention. No matter how hard I tried to impliment these new ideas he continued to not use them. About 6 months later he hired an 'executive assistant' with a chip on her shoulder. Everyone disliked her. I bit my touge. She only lasted 12 months. She did have some 'pros' in what she did.

However, what do you do if the boss won't stick with the new ideas?

KW in Portland, Oregon

55 months ago

08-14-2009 in Round Rock, Texas said: This is a great example of the communication gap. I read here a few people thinking this was mean of the boss, whereas I interpret is as a gift!

Bingo! My sentiments exactly!

KW in Portland, Oregon

55 months ago

Unemployed after 16 1/2 yrs. in Mesa, Arizona said: A few years ago my boss(principal of an Civil Engineering firm) said that I needed to help him keep better track of what was on his desk, calendar, and deadlines to make things run smoother. I assisted him and also was the Project Coordinator to 4 Project Managers. I came up with ways of how he could use his calendar to stay on task and file organization for the day to day paper work that required his attention. No matter how hard I tried to impliment these new ideas he continued to not use them. About 6 months later he hired an 'executive assistant' with a chip on her shoulder. Everyone disliked her. I bit my touge. She only lasted 12 months. She did have some 'pros' in what she did.

However, what do you do if the boss won't stick with the new ideas?

Like it or not, you must remember that he is the boss, the executive you support. Keep trying to come up ideas that will work best for his style, i.e. ideas he will use. As an EA you need to be flexible and adaptable to the style of the executive(s) you support.

Personally, I would love that challenge. The bigger the challenge he presents, the greater sense of accomplishment!

Good luck!

kristin226 in New Rochelle, New York

54 months ago

KW in Portland, Oregon said: Like it or not, you must remember that he is the boss, the executive you support. Keep trying to come up ideas that will work best for his style, i.e. ideas he will use. As an EA you need to be flexible and adaptable to the style of the executive(s) you support.

Personally, I would love that challenge. The bigger the challenge he presents, the greater sense of accomplishment!

Good luck!

This site is excellent. Just to think I was the only one. I work for a small company and am the EA for a CEO that wears one too many hats! No matter how I try to arrange his calendar to be more efficient for him, it never works (because he HAS to be involved in everything). Also, it is impossible for him to be on time for anything because he is a talker. Any suggestions?

BH in Sydney, Australia

25 months ago

Hi

I would love some advice from fellow EA's. I have been working in a contract role at a large investment bank for the past 7 months (after 8 years with a different investment bank - made redundant). I support 4 of the executive team in a very busy role. I'm conscious that I need to improve my time management skills, which I am working at. After me asking for feedback - positive (but more importantly - constructive) and not really receiving any, I had a mid year review where a ton of bricks was thrown at me in regards to unhappy they are with my work. Their main issues are that I may miss a task, not get things right the first time etc. I'm not the world's best EA, but I'm also not the worst. Do you think it's unreasonable for them to expect full EA support for 4 people from one person? Also, any tips from people who manage multiple bosses would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks all

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.