Executive Assistant Wanting to Move West

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Westcoastbound in Charlotte, North Carolina

21 months ago

Currently in Charlotte, NC looking to move west by way of CA or AZ...not sure yet..but was told something yesterday that made me sigh hugely... Here is what this person said "This all sounds sort of rash. You will definitely not find a similar job out west as a secretary and be able to own a home etc. So the move will lower your standard of living. Executive assistants are a dime a dozen and as a non-specialized kind of homogeneous profession, there is ALOT of competition and unemployed people from other fields can pick up these jobs. Long story short, I wouldn't leave the current gig."

Is there any merit to this?...Sorry but it just has be thinking and pondering......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cricket Girl in Dallas, Texas

21 months ago

Could be true, and depends on the kind of industry you have been as an EA. Entertainment and creatives will pay much more IF you come from their industries.

I think Legal Secretaries still make a tremendous amount of money in Los Angeles. San Francisco seems to be the place that has difficulty paying Admins very much which is ridiculous considering how expensive SFO is (probably the most expensive in the country). It's been that way for years and I don't see that ever changing.

Searching in San Diego, California

21 months ago

Westcoastbound in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Currently in Charlotte, NC looking to move west by way of CA or AZ...not sure yet..but was told something yesterday that made me sigh hugely... Here is what this person said "This all sounds sort of rash. You will definitely not find a similar job out west as a secretary and be able to own a home etc. So the move will lower your standard of living. Executive assistants are a dime a dozen and as a non-specialized kind of homogeneous profession, there is ALOT of competition and unemployed people from other fields can pick up these jobs. Long story short, I wouldn't leave the current gig."

Is there any merit to this?...Sorry but it just has be thinking and pondering......

All true. One item to note in particular, you will NEVER be able to own a home out in Southern California, at least, on a secretaries salary unless you are married and live way outside cities like Los Angeles, for instance. The majority of people rent out here. I would say that the medium price of a home out here in a desirable area is at least $500,000. California has a very, very high cost of living. Coming from North Carolina you will probably have a heart attack. Don't believe all the hype re: Cali. I wouldn't do it.

21 months ago

Well could always look at Phoenix Arizona. Cheaper cost of living and close proximity to CA and Las Vegas.. Salaries go a long way in those cities.

21 months ago

Westcoastbound in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Well could always look at Phoenix Arizona. Cheaper cost of living and close proximity to CA and Las Vegas.. Salaries go a long way in those cities.

I have no idea, never lived there. I have heard that the job market in both, especially Vegas is horrible. How about doing some internet research? You will find that Vegas housing and jobs has been hit really hard. I believe that the Vegas housing market has crumbled. Vegas would be worlds away culturally from North Carolina. As someone who has done what you are thinking of doing, here's my best advice: Do more than read posts on Indeed and talk to one person. Do thorough internet research on the areas you are planning on moving to. Check out what the unemployment percentage is. What is the housing market like? What is the culture? What are the people like? Cost of living. Visit, visit, visit. The west is very different from the east and southeast of the US - very different. I know, I have a lot of living experience in all areas to speak of. It wouldn't seem that way, but big culture shock moving out here. I cannot stress enough that you need to spend time out here. Moving across country is not a small venture. Do you have family back east that you would like to visit regularly? Think about the fact that flying is now more expensive, tedious, takes an entire day to travel from coast to coast. You may grow tired of that, I have, you may rarely see your family and lose touch with them, I do/did. You seem intent on doing this for some reason, maybe ask yourself why you think the grass will be greener. Been there, done that, it never is. You ALWAYS bring yourself, your problems, whatever with you. Research it all before doing anything. Don't want to be negative, I just want you to make sure that this is truly something you are up to. Good luck.

21 months ago

Single, early 40's,...Salary is pretty decent. I,ve managed to sock away almost $8,000 in savings. Now I know that most people who are in the early 40's are settled, but situation is a little different. Been in Charlotte my whole life except when I went away to college, then came back. I will admit when I was younger, I wanted to relocate to Phx as well, but glad I waited. ( Current mindset was not right in my 20's or early 30's.) I think now is the time to make the move, if Im to do it....Really just tired of everything about where I live..I crave change so....I think Im on the right track...

21 months ago

Westcoastbound in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Single, early 40's,...Salary is pretty decent. I,ve managed to sock away almost $8,000 in savings. Now I know that most people who are in the early 40's are settled, but situation is a little different. Been in Charlotte my whole life except when I went away to college, then came back. I will admit when I was younger, I wanted to relocate to Phx as well, but glad I waited. ( Current mindset was not right in my 20's or early 30's.) I think now is the time to make the move, if Im to do it....Really just tired of everything about where I live..I crave change so....I think Im on the right track...

$8,000 could possibly get you through maybe 3-4 months without any emergencies in CA. To live in a nice neighborhood nice place with a roommate or without will cost you $1,000 and up a month in rent not including utilities. About two weeks ago, gas was almost $5.00 a gallon. Sales tax 9.75% I believe NC is 4.75%?. I would just do this type of research. Wish someone had given me this advice before I moved out here in my 20's.

21 months ago

Westcoastbound in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Single, early 40's,...Salary is pretty decent. I,ve managed to sock away almost $8,000 in savings. Now I know that most people who are in the early 40's are settled, but situation is a little different. Been in Charlotte my whole life except when I went away to college, then came back. I will admit when I was younger, I wanted to relocate to Phx as well, but glad I waited. ( Current mindset was not right in my 20's or early 30's.) I think now is the time to make the move, if Im to do it....Really just tired of everything about where I live..I crave change so....I think Im on the right track...

By the way I am married and don't have kids and it's still expensive.

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

21 months ago

Westcoastbound in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Well could always look at Phoenix Arizona. Cheaper cost of living and close proximity to CA and Las Vegas.. Salaries go a long way in those cities.

Not much cheaper and bad job market here too.
This is a rough town, a lot of professionals are unemployed.
If you know someone or have family here, that could help.
Sometimes, the grass is greener on the other side. If you have a good thing going, I wouldn't jump ship. Not right now.

Cricket Girl in Dallas, Texas

19 months ago

With Prop 30 passed, I think the time is just right to move to California. If you're still in the market. I would say give it go. There have been so many companies reaching out to me lately.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.