Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

How did you get your start doing facilities manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

PedroPR in San Juan, Puerto Rico

64 months ago

I am preparing a Job description paper for a facilties manager for the firm that I work for and need some funcional or job descriptions. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

heatdoctor in Abington, Massachusetts

48 months ago

I intrested in changing careers, have several licencesin related fields & experence.
Whats the next step???? what Certifications gets me in the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

edyer in Minneapolis, Minnesota

47 months ago

PedroPR in San Juan, Puerto Rico said: I am preparing a Job description paper for a facilties manager for the firm that I work for and need some funcional or job descriptions. Thanks.

I found a really good description on line when I searched. It was listed in the city of Las Vegas, NV. Of course you have to search within other cities to make sure you have it covered or ask a few of us to send you the descriptions we are working under now

47 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing facilities manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Not every organization asks for a degree but you can look at the certifications offered with BOMI and IFMA. In my case I just had to have had construction experience and my contractors license

47 months ago

heatdoctor in Abington, Massachusetts said: I intrested in changing careers, have several licencesin related fields & experence.
Whats the next step???? what Certifications gets me in the door.

Depends what you are lookinf for. I decided to go with the courses offered in BOMI because of cost. IFMA is reall good but they are spendy. Go on line and look around, most ask for a certificate in Facility Management of a FMC

ed in Minneapolis, Minnesota

47 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing facilities manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

I was lucky, the employer had the positon open for over a year and everytime they offered the job to the selected candidate it was turned down. Not because of the salary but because of the location. It is located in a highly visible minority occupied community and most were afraid of the community. I lived in the community and I applied for the job after 25 years of construction work. At the time I was teaching construction to high risk students in another area of the city that was also high in minority population. The only thing they asked me to do was to complet my contractors license and with that they added another thousand to the salary.
Of course, there have been times that it was "rough" around the center but we managed to clear out gang activity and demand that the high school transport the "undesireables" to another location. But all in all it was a great experience.
And I am looking for another great experience as a facility assistant or manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.