Career advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Haiduc102 in Deerfield, Illinois

51 months ago

Hi all,

I will start on a bad note: I have been looking more than a year for a Financial Analyst job and NO LUCK!
I have graduated in 12/2008 from University of Illinois Chicago MBA/Finance concentration and my BA was in Economics. Have no experience working whatsoever in finance or accounting.
I have been told that I have strong analytical skills (love math, statistics and calculus in special) and I have some coding experience from school in R Code, C++, SQL, Excell.
I am thinking to go back to continue my education in Finance, looking for a Master in Finance from a tier 1 university.
However, is very expensive and I don't know if it will be worth it.
Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ninetwosixx in Chicago, Illinois

47 months ago

I finished my bachelor's in Finance from UIC and have had zero luck getting a FA position. I'm assuming the UIC career services is no different between bachelors and MBA huh?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sean1 in Moorestown, New Jersey

43 months ago

what work experience do you have?

Haiduc102 in Waukegan, Illinois

43 months ago

I have been working for the past 5 years as the Internet Sales manager for a large Audi dealer.
Duties:
-handle internet leads, manage online advertising and increase website traffic
-analyze credit reports, structure financing deals
-prepare weekly and monthly reports

Now, I left this job and I work part time as an IT technician and prepare for the SAS certification exams, since I want to improve my analytical skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Kissimmee, Florida

43 months ago

Haiduc102 in Waukegan, Illinois said: I have been working for the past 5 years as the Internet Sales manager for a large Audi dealer.
Duties:

Now, I left this job and I work part time as an IT technician and prepare for the SAS certification exams, since I want to improve my analytical skills.

Did you try to get a FA position at Audi? Since you worked for one of their dealers, it is possible you would have had some luck getting in to the company at the entry level. Maybe you should have a professional put together your resume, mail it to Audi with a killer cover letter, and then wait and see. Most large public companies don't advertise their jobs so you need to be proactive and mail them your resume.

Sharon in Kissimmee, Florida

43 months ago

Haiduc102 in Waukegan, Illinois said: I have been working for the past 5 years as the Internet Sales manager for a large Audi dealer.
Duties:

Something else. The fact that you obtained an MBA and then ended up in IT, that may give a hiring manager the impression that you don't know what you want to do. When you prepare your resume, make sure you highlight your transferable skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Haiduc102 in Waukegan, Illinois

43 months ago

Yes, but no answer.

KP in Bothell, Washington

40 months ago

Hi,

I do not know how your resume looks but it is important, especially for an analyst to show your achievements. If your resume only show the budgeting, forecasting, and reporting you have done it will not catch anyone's attention. You need to show the tasks you have done and how they have improved the biz for the company.

Good Luck!

George B in Windsor, Connecticut

39 months ago

Is the market for FA in Chicago really bad?

I've been trying to obtain a position in Chicago for months now with no luck!

I have been working as a FA for the last 3 years as well!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.