What are the best firefighter qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a firefighter? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective firefighter?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Costa Mesa, California

87 months ago

Get Paramedic certified, Haz-Mat, and all the free trainings. Some collages have All in one class. you mite go to a job offer for a town with 100 other people, NYFD get like 16,000 people going to a spot. Its growing but there are too many people to do the job, you need to stand out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Bristol, Rhode Island

72 months ago

A volunteer fire dept. is one place you can get free training. In Rhode Island we get tons of free to near free class time most with no prerequisite's. If your location is right, texas has tons of job openings unlike new england where I'm from, we have few jobs and lots of people applying. Collage or military is a big plus if your serious, If you went to school for it, most dept. put you on top. My lieutenant been in more structure fires and medical codes then I can think of but got pick over trying to get into a smaller dept. for someone with only a collage associates in fire science and he never been in a fire. hope it helps, its not easy. enjoy being called probe 2 lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Rapid Fire in College Station, Texas

67 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a firefighter? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective firefighter?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

go to www.rapidfiresoftware.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

anon in Austin, Texas

59 months ago

Don't get paramedic if you don't want to be a paramedic. Sure, it'll get you a job at a station, but if you don't like what your job is, then you've wasted a whole lot of time.
If you can score high on civil service exams you might make it into a big city's fire academy which will provide your certifications. You can also get them through some community colleges. And make sure you're in shape. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ysgggg in San Jose, California

59 months ago

if your young what classes do you recomend i take
and what should i do to become a firefighter?

thank you!

[url]www.myrescueteam.com[/url]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LKN in Cornelius, North Carolina

59 months ago

im in an emt=b class right now. be careful on the teacher. my teacher is miserable, and has made this class very hard. it like an ego thing, if you are a firefighter, then it is totally different in class. just e a=careful on the class and ASK if they will help you be successful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Wozniak in Baldwin Park, California

57 months ago

anon in Austin, Texas said: Don't get paramedic if you don't want to be a paramedic. Sure, it'll get you a job at a station, but if you don't like what your job is, then you've wasted a whole lot of time.
If you can score high on civil service exams you might make it into a big city's fire academy which will provide your certifications. You can also get them through some community colleges. And make sure you're in shape. Good luck to you.

In california EMT is REQUIRED. You must have your emt certification to apply for a position. Do like they say and get your associates degree in fire technology that will put you on the top of the stack. free education is possible (depending on your finacial status) with a community college. top fire program is at MT. San Antonio college. also available at san juacinto and rio hondo. emt, then core fire classes, then fire academy then associates degree. DO THE ACADEMY EVEN IF PEOPLE SAY THEY WILL TRAIN YOU AT THE DEPARTMENT! They will like to see that you already have training plus it will make your training easier. when applying just keep testing at every stationg possible even if its not your first choice as to where you want to work. hope that helps. good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Chagrin Falls, Ohio

57 months ago

Get your basic training. paramedic and firefighter. A fire science degree can always be added later.

Also consider getting haz mat training , because anything that you have will always make you look better.

www.Fire911Ems.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Colonel Reavis in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

47 months ago

granite7 in Frazier Park, California said: I'm a 48 year old Hispanic man, in incredible physical shape, have been involved in search and rescue for many years, (avalanche, plane crashes, high angle, and wilderness), have had an wilderness EMT-I cert in the past.(Retaking the class again this summer), been a seasonal wild land firefighter EMT, as well as just a firefighter. And would like to pursue a EMT-P as well as consider urban firefighting. What are the realistic chances of being accepted into a fire academy and then getting hired in today's competitive world?

One thing you will have to think about is the fact that you are 48 years old, and many pension systems require you to be 35-45 by the date of hire. If you get your Paramedic license that is the best way to get hired onto a city fire department. Getting into a fire academy may not be too difficult, but getting hired a whole different story.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Colonel Reavis in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

47 months ago

anon in Austin, Texas said: Don't get paramedic if you don't want to be a paramedic. Sure, it'll get you a job at a station, but if you don't like what your job is, then you've wasted a whole lot of time.

Don't get paramedic if you don't want to be a paramedic? If you are a firefighter then you will be running 80-90% medical calls. If you don't like what your job is, then you've wasted a lot of time? What does that mean? Are you saying that you should only like the putting out fires part of being a firefighter? Because if that's the case, you would be in a world of hurt. Most calls fire departments get these days are not fire related, and you better be willing to work as a paramedic and if not that then at least an EMT-Basic, because it will be required. Most calls are medical related, and the way fire departments are going paramedics are very useful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lorie

46 months ago

Steve in Bristol, Rhode Island said: A volunteer fire dept. is one place you can get free training. In Rhode Island we get tons of free to near free class time most with no prerequisite's. If your location is right, texas has tons of job openings unlike new england where I'm from, we have few jobs and lots of people applying. Collage or military is a big plus if your serious, If you went to school for it, most dept. put you on top. My lieutenant been in more structure fires and medical codes then I can think of but got pick over trying to get into a smaller dept. for someone with only a collage associates in fire science and he never been in a fire. hope it helps, its not easy. enjoy being called probe 2 lol
/but what u do when the fireman and woman at your staion do not went to trinng like they sould.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ysgggg in San Jose, California

43 months ago

how much is all of this?
www.myrescueteam.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nick gregorka in Las Vegas, Nevada

43 months ago

does anyone here recomend truckee meadows fire academy in reno several firefighters in las vegas went do you think there a better looking academys then that ? im an explorer att the moment and would be great in a academy i can get my turnouts in 30 sec i just want the best looking college and academy i can get please help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BG in Kansas City, Missouri

41 months ago

Get on firelink.com that helps a lot and will answer a lot of your questions its also a good way to network with lots of firefighters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

D.J. Casteel in Mount Vernon, Ohio

31 months ago

i have been wanting to get into the firefighting/emt field for a while now and i was wanting to know what colleges would you recommend?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yaya in North Las Vegas, Nevada

31 months ago

my son is 20 yrs. old . he's ready and excited to be come a paramedic for the fire dept. here in Lsa Vegas. But he's not sure where to get the right training. wherevwould he start.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

yaya in North Las Vegas, Nevada

31 months ago

my son is 20 yrs. old . he's ready and excited to be come a paramedic for the fire dept. here in Lsa Vegas. But he's not sure where to get the right training. wherevwould he start.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CM in Normal, Illinois

27 months ago

I am currently beginning my classes to become EMT-B certified. I've done one ride along for a small fire dept, but what is my next step? How do I start to look for jobs as a firefighter and whats the best way to do this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nickgregorka34@yahoo.com in Las Vegas, Nevada

25 months ago

yah

Steve in Costa Mesa, California said: Get Paramedic certified, Haz-Mat, and all the free trainings. Some collages have All in one class. you mite go to a job offer for a town with 100 other people, NYFD get like 16,000 people going to a spot. Its growing but there are too many people to do the job, you need to stand out.

HI im nick gregorka and im 34 and me need job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

hi im nick gregorka im 34 and i live in california i want to get hired for cal firee

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Hi Im gregorka nick i live in cali i want to get hired with wild land

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Hi im gregorka nick im 34 and need help with wild land

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.