Getting a fleet manager job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

How did you get your start doing fleet manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

rick big rig in Houston, Texas

87 months ago

being a diesel mechanic with a high level of ambition, i made my mark in the field as a good mechanic. i then moved on with a company to take care of a fleet of 42 trucks entirely on my own. once things were going well, i was put in charge of budget related issues, the accurate accounting po system and other fleet related things. at this point i asked for a raise and a title other than fleet mechanic. now i am out of the hands on field all together and do only office work and have all of the locations report to me about fleet related issues. i am in charge of purchasing the new trucks based on what i think from a mechanical stand point, customer service after purchase, price. i manage over 300 truck and 200 forklifts. like is good as a diesel mechanic/fleet mechanic/fleet manager. i love my career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff

76 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing fleet manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I highly recommend automotive-truck~mechanical experience, as well as a knowledge of compliance (DOT,OSHA, etc) as well as the understanding of what you are managing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lynn Walters in Auburn, Washington

51 months ago

AND, good people/leadership skills. There is a critical transition that needs to be made to be successful in management. Technical expert into manager/leader. Most folks struggle with this as people are not like a hydrostatic driven driven lift. Do some research on this subject. Google: leader vs. manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.