Getting a food server job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

How did you get your start doing food server work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

curly in Chicago, Illinois

95 months ago

Starting: Get a job at a basic restaurant. A very difficult place to start but also one of the best training places is Olive Garden. I work in a VERY hign end dining location today and may of the servers that I worked with started at Olive Garden (I am seriously saying like 40% or more)

Career moves: Keep your eyes open whenever you go out to eat. If its a place you want a job go in and get a copy of the menu and learn as much about it/the food as you can BEFORE you interview. Then go in and talk to the GM and tell them that you are intersted and already learned some of the stuff about the food. The fact that you are dedicated and willing to learn should be a good foot in the doot for you.

Educational Background: No..none needed of any kind. The best server is a "people person"...no degree required. My degree is actually in computers. Has zero to do with what I do now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

celeste in Greensboro, North Carolina

83 months ago

good person hard working on time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cathy romero in Lancaster, California

80 months ago

im a great waitress for 20 years

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

casey jones in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

66 months ago

I AM LOOKING FOR FOOD SERVICE WORK I DO HAVE EXPERIENCE IN THIS FIELD OVER 20 YRS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

casey jones in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

66 months ago

I,AM LOOKINKING FOR FOOD SERVICE JOBS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Becky Ragan in Greeneville, Tennessee

61 months ago

casey jones in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I,AM LOOKINKING FOR FOOD SERVICE JOBS

I am looking for food service jobs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jacquelyn devers in Omaha, Nebraska

38 months ago

i am look for a food service job i work at old country buffet in the food service i have experience since 1987 during my 24 years and hop to find a job soon the business close down i like work togeter with other

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.