Forklift Operator pay & i need a forklift job too

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (36)

Doug in Rosemount, Minnesota

93 months ago

Hi everyone, Im a very old forklift operator. I started out with a pay of 7.25 an hour. That was 20yrs ago, now i make around 20.00. Please dont get mad that your pay is low it may be a very nice paying job. Do to, what state u live in, Type of industrial work, or even if its in wairhouse work "wairhouse dont pay to well" but fun and eazy job. If your looking for a higher paying job.

To improve your pay. Learn: all differnt type of forklifts,Get forklift certified!. Get training in loading-unloading truck "flatbed, boomtrucks, an Trailers". Get some background in shipping an recieving big plus. If u can hang around the people that do invitory work on the computer find what programs ther using and see if they will teach you how it run it and do the work. Tha is where u will get a nice pay incress and promossions at!! After that its just up to the employer to see what your worth to them 8(.

But now im in the same boat as all of u looking for a new job. quite my old one. Im using what i said up top and i have gotten some nice offers around my last pay. So keep your head up. Dont stop trying.

An driving around, look at the cars in the parking lot. If lots of nice clean cars an trucks. Then there pay is high. Old or lots of rundown one's may not be a good place to look at but allways poke your noise in there might hit the big one of pay.

Sineraly doug,
P.S hopw we all get the dream jobs we what. May god and nice company help us out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

David Marr

93 months ago

Hi my name is David Marr i now how to drive a the sit down forklift but not the stand up forklift.My old job that i was working at post to teach me how to drive the stand up forklift. I am not certified for the forklift but i would like to be certified for the forklift.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Dennis

90 months ago

Hi Doug! I posted under a different, but i think it,s more appropriate here.

I am an OSHA certified forklift operator, both industrial and rough terrain. 22 years experience with gas,propane,electric lifts. Also clamp, roll grab, quad fork, manlift. OSHA Safety Certified. CCO Certified. I too find myself in tthe job hunt again after 27 years spent with only one change in companies. I am in Middletown, Ohio. Around here most employers are paying an average of 10.00 an hour. I have a current DOT physical and have never failed a drug test. I also have a class A CDL. I,ve put in over 200 resumes and applications online and in person. Been to several interviews. Been offered a few jobs that either are so far away i can,t afford to drive back and forth or they pay so little they don,t cover my monthly bills even. By the way i,m 49. This job hunt is turning to a joke. I,m seriously considering moving to a different state or area. Anyone have any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

olivier mukobo kafuti in Pretoria, South Africa

87 months ago

hi,I'm a certified reachtruc operator and having one and half year experience .
I did injoy my salar every where I worked.
I resined from my last job in may this year to go and help my dadd in DRC,for is health situation.
Now I'm looking for a job on hte reachtruc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

walter rodriguez in Worcester, Massachusetts

86 months ago

olivier mukobo kafuti in Pretoria, South Africa said: hi,I'm a certified reachtruc operator and having one and half year experience .
I did injoy my salar every where I worked.
I resined from my last job in may this year to go and help my dadd in DRC,for is health situation.
Now I'm looking for a job on hte reachtruc.

QUOTE, what is a reachtruc? I am a stand up fork truck driver.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

walter rodriguez in Worcester, Massachusetts said: QUOTE, what is a reachtruc? I am a stand up fork truck driver.

Yes i do know some places, that do offer nice pay and realy like people with those skills. try concrete factory: good pay 8) eazy work and home like everyday. 2, look at roofing companys they want workers with forklift and reachtruck certified!!. that all that comes ot mind to me right now jsut got done moawing the lawn 3 1/2 oach loonnngday hope those area get u in a nice job i now they pay good doto i now people in them. takecare and have a nice day

PS sorry i cant spell or type to good dorry if it hard to read! later

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

David Marr said: Hi my name is David Marr i now how to drive a the sit down forklift but not the stand up forklift.My old job that i was working at post to teach me how to drive the stand up forklift. I am not certified for the forklift but i would like to be certified for the forklift.

hi , david sorry for the delay in responding to your post, No internet. well if your working at a new job with forklift's running around. Ask your boss; if there is a course they offer to worker's to get certified or a training class. if not try your local vo-tech school they do have a class there to get certified. just talk to the class trainer for forklift. they might ask for a small fee. that all i have for that sorry not much hope it works out for u

sinceraly doug

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J in Glendora, California

84 months ago

well im planning on getting a certification for forklifting just as a college job but i need to know if the employers drug test b-4 and during work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

billy watson in Chicago, Illinois

84 months ago

i am certificate i just wander what it pay

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nelson Precast in Baltimore, Maryland

82 months ago

caroline johnson in Baltimore, Maryland said: I can operate almost every lift truck there is, thank you, for your email, and I wish you luck in your finding you another lift position, I'm not an enployer, I have a desire for lift truck position myself. So good luck.

We need a certified rough terrain operator in Baltmore for a 1 day job. Any unemployed guys want a 1 day event? Call Ari at 410-522-7190

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bobo in Toronto, Ontario

82 months ago

Doug in Rosemount, Minnesota said: Hi everyone, Im a very old forklift operator. I started out with a pay of 7.25 an hour. That was 20yrs ago, now i make around 20.00. Please dont get mad that your pay is low it may be a very nice paying job. Do to, what state u live in, Type of industrial work, or even if its in wairhouse work "wairhouse dont pay to well" but fun and eazy job. If your looking for a higher paying job.

To improve your pay. Learn: all differnt type of forklifts,Get forklift certified!. Get training in loading-unloading truck "flatbed, boomtrucks, an Trailers". Get some background in shipping an recieving big plus. If u can hang around the people that do invitory work on the computer find what programs ther using and see if they will teach you how it run it and do the work. Tha is where u will get a nice pay incress and promossions at!! After that its just up to the employer to see what your worth to them 8(.

But now im in the same boat as all of u looking for a new job. quite my old one. Im using what i said up top and i have gotten some nice offers around my last pay. So keep your head up. Dont stop trying.

An driving around, look at the cars in the parking lot. If lots of nice clean cars an trucks. Then there pay is high. Old or lots of rundown one's may not be a good place to look at but allways poke your noise in there might hit the big one of pay.

Sineraly doug,
P.S hopw we all get the dream jobs we what. May god and nice company help us out.

Check your spelling!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Rensselaer, Indiana

81 months ago

J in Glendora, California said: well im planning on getting a certification for forklifting just as a college job but i need to know if the employers drug test b-4 and during work?

The answer is in your own words.........I need to know if the employers drug test b-4 and during work ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

michael cornish in Pikesville, Maryland

80 months ago

i am really trying to get certified, but dont know where to go.
can some lead me in the right path PLEASE!!!.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

oliver in Riverdale, Georgia

79 months ago

i would like to know where can i get a forklift traning a certification

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

You'll fine some help at www.NAHETS.com. They offer classes to get certified as a forklift driver and training on a forklift. class you have to pay for. If your working for a company that has forklifts in the work area. Ask your boss if they do offer a personal class for training. They also might just give u a certification paper do to your driving for them on there equipment. Other places look at vocational schools for class. state driving school might have one too. Just look in your local area on the net there should be a place close to u to get your certification paper if that what your after to get in a job!! hope that help u some good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jay

76 months ago

Dennis it sounds like u need to come to chicago there are lots of forklift jobs here paying a pretty penny good luck. Jay

Juiced in Godley, Illinois

76 months ago

jay said: Dennis it sounds like u need to come to chicago there are lots of forklift jobs here paying a pretty penny good luck. Jay

Where at? The only places that have called me back are usually only 7-9 per hour. At least the ones that have called me back, that is... I have 8 years certified in forlifts and my last job was mainly 2-4 ton lifts. But for every 10 resumes and app I put out, I get one call back and it's usually well out of reach and less the 9 an hour. I have over 8 years in forklifts, and 13 years in logistics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Rensselaer, Indiana

76 months ago

walter rodriguez in Worcester, Massachusetts said: QUOTE, what is a reachtruc? I am a stand up fork truck driver.

I take it ,he was stating a reach truck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jarrod in Bristol, Connecticut

73 months ago

If my work makes me a forklift trainer does that mean they pay me more or is it just a title.

Juiced in Godley, Illinois

73 months ago

It depends on the company and the training you received. Some company's consider a trainer to be part of your regular work duties, some others may pay you a little more as a safety cordinator dealing with forklift training and safety. It all depends on the type of training you received and the company policies regarding it

jarrod in Rocky Hill, Connecticut

73 months ago

thanks ill look into it

charles irving in Wilmette, Illinois

72 months ago

HELLO MY NAME IS CHARLES IRVING AND I AM TRY TO FIND JOB WITH GOOD PAY I AM CURRENTLY WORKING AT JIFFY LUBE BUT THE PAY IS NOT GOOD I CAN'T NOT MY RENT IF THERE IS A OPENING PLEASE BE SURE TO CALL ME I AM A AFRICAN AMERICAN GUY WITH GOOD QUALITIES

simonyoung24@yahoo.com

63 months ago

need a jod now coold you help

forklift master in Omaha, Nebraska

61 months ago

michael cornish in Pikesville, Maryland said: i am really trying to get certified, but dont know where to go.
can some lead me in the right path PLEASE!!!.

any company that use forklift will test you. if you past then you are certified if not try again....good luck

murphy8586@msn.com in Seattle, Washington

57 months ago

caroline johnson in Baltimore, Maryland said: I can operate almost every lift truck there is, thank you, for your email, and I wish you luck in your finding you another lift position, I'm not an enployer, I have a desire for lift truck position myself. So good luck.

I live in Seattle and I need to know what kind of forklift they use to lift those big shipping conainers are called?. THANKS.

murphy8586@msn.com in Seattle, Washington

57 months ago

I live in Seattle and I need to know what kind of forklifts move those big shipping containers?, Thanks

rabsun javed in Oman

54 months ago

no i am a new comer if u want i am

Brandon Krause in Danville, Illinois

53 months ago

So what area of the country have the higher paying forklift jobs. I am experienced in both stand up and sit down lift trucks. Including gas, propane,electric, and diesel. I am versed in clamp forks, spread forks, slip sheets, and normal forks. I have 5+ yrs as a shipper receiver. I can also use overhead cranes to unload flatbeds and containers. I live in east central IL, and there is nothing in this area. Please if you know of a good paying forklift opprotunity please let me know. I am willing to relocate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jason Looney in Groveland, Florida

53 months ago

I was working with circuit city for 5 years at the orlando distribution center before liquidation forced our closure. I scoured the orlando, tampa, st. pete, lakeland area and came up with 3 job interviews total. 2 went to internal applicants and one was less then I made on unemployment.

After 9 months on unemployment I got a call back from a company I'd been applying to for over a year. KBR, doing contracting work in afghanistan. They hired me at 84,000 a year tax free, 2 months later we transition to a new company (ITT systems) and I now make 125,000 a year. If you think you can handle working in a warzone I would suggest applying for forklift jobs with ITT, theres also other contractors over here (KBR, Fluor Daniels, Dyncorp). Its not a job for everyone, but if you think you can I really suggest applying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brandon Krause in Danville, Illinois

53 months ago

Well I took your advise and applied online. Whether or not they get back to me is another question. Sounds interesting to work over there.

David in Keller, Texas

42 months ago

My name is David, I got folklift Certified 6 month ago, I dont have experience on driving folklift, I need job to support my family, I'm fast learning, dependable, i'm willing to work with minimum price .please help me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

rajeev in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates

39 months ago

my name rajeev i am got only forklift license i driving in 4 years i have no certificate i have interest to working in uk usa how i can get it pls help

syzabc in Fort Campbell, Kentucky

38 months ago

if you are a very old operator,pze go relax,no more work

Sitaram sahani in Richmond, Australia

38 months ago

With Regard, Dear sir / madam now i am working with NATO in kandhar, Afghanistan 12 Hr, duty every day no weekly off i am operating up to 30k and crane also. how maney need you more duty more then 12 hr ? with regard sahani sitaram

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sitaram sahani in Richmond, Australia

38 months ago

Dear Sir / Madam i have 31 years experiance and still working with NATO in afghanistan Dyncorp intl. 12 hr. duty every day no off day and operating up to 30k fork lift. with respect. thank you

NITEHILOMAN in Old Bridge, New Jersey

12 months ago

I've been driving forklifts for over 35 years. Sit down propane,electric,single forks,double forks,bale clamps and stand up narrow isle reach and anywhere I worked bosses were impressed with my work. No accidents and can drive circles around some of the forklift drivers I worked with. I was making $21.50 an hour until my place closed down. Now they pay $8-$13 an hour,$13 being high and don't need much experience if none at all. I guess companies don't care how much damage is done by inexperienced forklift drivers.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.