Getting ahead...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a hirable general manager? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective general manager?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Susan M in Columbus, OH

95 months ago

I have applied for the General Manager position in Parkersburg, WV. I must admit that I am relentless in my conviction to fill this position or one of a similar nature. Any good advice on what I can do to become a more viable candidate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bo825 in Bullhead City, Arizona

91 months ago

Susan
I saw your question today.Dec 19. After 3 months Im hoping you have accomplished your goal. To becoming a General Manager, Im afraid there are no short cuts,its about your experience through the years, and the knowledge that you have.
Alot of people get 4 year Degrees, and start this way. Alot of people( like myself,have 18 yrs of life experiences ) I started out as a Shift Manager, and have worked my way up through the years to a District Manager.But I did every job between here and there and was the very best at it. This is important now days. My best advice, is to be a " hands on Manager" these are the people who excel, this is what Companies desire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.