Which masters should I go for Hydrogeology or Mechanical Engineering?

Comments (6)

Mad Max in Rocky Point, New York

43 months ago

I have a BS in meteorology but the job market is not that good because you really need your masters to get a decent job. There are no schools in my area that offer masters in meteorology for working professionals. So I have decided on two possible masters, Hydrogeology or Mechanical Engineering. Where I currently work both of these positions are available. There are many more engineers where I work so there is less competition for the hydrogeologist position. As a matter of fact my current boss is a hydrogeologist and is encouraging me to get this masters where the pay would be slightly more than the engineer. However on the engineer side I believe that the market overall has more use for an engineer and if there were ever layoffs at our company we have been told that the hydro's may be more vulnerable since it is a newer title and the company has always had the engineers and needs them to function. If desire for each position is equal what do you think I should choose?

Francesco in Manassas, Virginia

43 months ago

Where do you work at?

Mad Max in Rocky Point, New York

43 months ago

Francesco in Manassas, Virginia said: Where do you work at?

I currently work as field tech in a state job. I collect groundwater samples.

Mad Max in Rocky Point, New York

43 months ago

I currently work as a field tech in a state job. I collect ground water samples.

James in Kansas City, Missouri

42 months ago

Have you looked into the requirements for the masters programs? I believe engineering grad schools usually require an undergraduate degree in engineering.

Jimmy in Salt Lake City, Utah

35 months ago

I have a M.S. in Geological Engineering specializing in Hydrogeology and B.S. in Civil Engineering and a second major in Geology. I started out in Mechanical Engineering. I could sort of see a connection with Meteorology and Thermodynamics, or basic fluid mechanics and Hydrogeology (and of course lots of math in all of these).

I think you could get into a Hydrogeology program, but you may have to take a few deficiency classes. You may have a hard time getting into a master's in Mechanical Engineering without some kind of undergraduate degree in engineering.

Go for it, but do what you are most interested in! Graduate school is very expensive and can be extremely challenging, especially if you are not in love with what you are doing. Trust me, I am far too familiar with this.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.