How do you get this so called work experience needed for this field of work?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

John Converse in Columbus, Ohio

89 months ago

I have tryed finding freelance jobs when I get the chance. I even design forms and fliers for jobs I've had, but still that doesn't count as experience! What do you need to do to get noticed for the work you are finding on your own. And why doesn't walking in to companies and handing in resumes count as much as it used to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eleanor in San Diego, California

89 months ago

You know I have had the same question for some time myself. Alot of employers these days seem to want you not only to have a college degree behind it. The only thing I can think of that might count as experience is if you intern on the job you are looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ronald in Kearny, New Jersey

89 months ago

I went to college for web design and got ripped off badly. With two terms left I quit, probably should have done it sooner. However I was on the deans list almost every time for maintaining a high GPA. I produced better work than the other students attending in my classes. I was the only one with my own complete website and the only one instructors included that had his own portfolio. Problem is colleges today will not train you up to an entry level skill level, they told me I was on my own if I wanted to learn them.

Everyone seems to want you to have a degree and alot of exp before they hire you. I have to wonder even if I finished and got that degree, what good would it have done? Im not twenty and I still wouldn't have had any exp. I am my own client. How do you get into a field were entry-level positions in my area don't even exist and colleges won't teach you enough for even entry-level positions that are way beyond what a college is willing to teach?

Anyway here's my website maybe somebody out there as some suggestions were i guy like me can find some employment.
www.designbytreitner.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dumb HR people in Denver, Colorado

89 months ago

Put it down as "contract work. -- found clients...." SHOULD get the attention of the right companies. Companies that don't see the value in it probably won't see YOUR value anyway. There are truly a lot of really stupid HR people out there -- it's a shame -- many are very young too, just out of college. They don't see the value in someone finding their own clients, which is HUGE is you're applying for sales. So, bottom line is: if you're looking to work for someone else, unfortunately you're at the mercy of these HR dummies. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ronald in Kearny, New Jersey

88 months ago

Dumb HR people in Denver, Colorado said: Put it down as "contract work. -- found clients...." SHOULD get the attention of the right companies. Companies that don't see the value in it probably won't see YOUR value anyway. There are truly a lot of really stupid HR people out there -- it's a shame -- many are very young too, just out of college. They don't see the value in someone finding their own clients, which is HUGE is you're applying for sales. So, bottom line is: if you're looking to work for someone else, unfortunately you're at the mercy of these HR dummies. :)

Sad part is not only are a lot of HR people fresh out of college and stupid, they also in many cases don't know what they're looking at when you are applying for a position, even when its on a resume in plain site. One of the first lines on my resume tells them my url, yet they always ask after claiming they got my resume "do I have an URL?" So they are either stupid or plain lying. Another thing that conveinces me many are stupid, is my resume says in plain language that I have x amount of experience in certain fields. Yet I either get them asking "if i have experience, or they pass me over for someone younger and less experienced. Perhaps us older experienced people scare them so they stick to their kind (age group) because they can relate to someone with their lower I.Q. and lack of common sense? Yes I said that! If they can't tell which person has the best experience for a position and subtitute a younger person because their resume was dumbed down to their level, then yes they are considered stupid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

They have ADD or are illiterate! in Denver, Colorado

88 months ago

They don't ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO READ. OR THEY HAVE ADD!

a position and subtitute a younger person because their resume was dumbed down to their level, then yes they are considered stupid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Robin in West Paris, Maine

86 months ago

[QUOTE]Anyway here's my website maybe somebody out there as some suggestions were i guy like me can find some employment.
www.designbytreitner.com

The first thing I can tell you is that you need to have good spelling skills, and that included knowing the difference between plurals and possessive pronouns. I see so many typos on sites where designers are looking for work. I, personally, would not hire a designer who writes copy w/o knowing basic grammar rules of American English. Also, if you're creating websites for people, you need to be aware of how certain characters will display in different browsers. For example, apostrophes, quotation marks, colons, and semi-colons often display with a filler that makes no sense. It's important to use the html code for your punctuation to ensure that it displays properly. No offense, I actually think your web page is pretty cute, but these are the first things I noticed on your home page, and I'm only mentioning them to offer you suggestions for improvement. :o)

Anne in Denver, Colorado

80 months ago

John Converse in Columbus, Ohio said: I have tryed finding freelance jobs when I get the chance. I even design forms and fliers for jobs I've had, but still that doesn't count as experience! What do you need to do to get noticed for the work you are finding on your own. And why doesn't walking in to companies and handing in resumes count as much as it used to?

What do you mean it doesn't "count" as experience? To the RIGHT company, it absolutely DOES "count" as experience. You absolutely should put it on your resume. It shows initiative (getting the jobs) sales ability (getting the jobs again) and ability to follow through without supervision! Don't sell yourself short! If you get in the interview and they start dissing it, stand up for yourself!

Sim in Droitwich, United Kingdom

79 months ago

Ron is a very self obsessed man who makes invalid coding, and judges everyone. He also puts down other designers which succeed and are a far better than him. He is unprofessional and doesn't like taking advice.

I asked him once to design me a layout and he was very rude to me. He put me down. Be wary of him.

He is scum
www.jemjabella.co.uk/stuff/wr_designbytreitner.php

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.