Can you get a job with BAS degree in Graphic Design/ Web Design

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

jess2870 in Tampa, Florida

24 months ago

I'm currently a junior in school. I am having issues and wondering if I should continue to go with this career path. I've read a lot of negative things about lack of jobs in this field.

I am worried about this. I decided initially to go to a University to possibly make my education look better, and was hoping to have more thorough classes. Turns out most of my classes will be art, many art history classes, and so forth. I don't feel like the program overall will prepare me in this field. I have such a busy work and school schedule, I also don't have the time to rely on being completely SELF TAUGHT.

My question is if I return to a state college and get a BAS degree, but have more time and money to be self teaching myself would I still have good chances for a career?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

24 months ago

If I could do it over again, I wouldn't go into graphic design. That's only my two cents worth because I didn't have the stamina and self discipline to study outside of class enough - and you HAVE to practice, practice, practice a lot if you're new to it (and I was).
Also, there really is no such thing as web design, in my opinion. There are web producers and programmers. And if you want to make websites, you better be good at programming because no one wants a simple site - they all want content management systems; i.e., blogs, e-commerce and forums.

I'm really not trying to be negative. If I could do it over, I might even do it the same. But I sure would have studied Adobe products and graphic design much earlier than I did. I tried learning it all at 42 and it's taken 5 years to get average/above average. I want to excel, of course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

24 months ago

I need to clarify something: I learned Graphic Design and Web Design and some programming at the same time and it really felt like too much, really.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.