HR

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

pdiaz in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

I have recently graduated with a BA in corporate communication. I hae been searching for 160 days to find an HR entry-level position in Houston, Texas. Seems that everyone wants experience,a degree is just not enough. Any suggestion where to start.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa

81 months ago

Are you willing to do something besides HR? Corporate communication is a VERY broad degree. My suggestion would be to try to use your BA to get any kind of office job. Once you have some kind of real life office experience, you can put that on a resume and then just keep applying for HR jobs. Do you have any internships you can list on a current resume? Can you make something up? I know this sounds bad, but I have worked in the communications field for seven years and NO ONE (including huge corporations and major affilite news stations) has ever checked a reference! Also, corporate communications is kinda a who do you know field, so work any contacts you may have (friends of friends, etc).

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lathoya in Hialeah, Florida

80 months ago

I was just like that, a recent graduate with a masters in HR but nooooo experience. In HR you will come to find that experience is a big deal. Now I see that they were right. However what I did was sign up with as many Temp job as possible and get your HR expereince and even better a HR job through them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Renee in Saginaw, Michigan

79 months ago

Lathoya in Hialeah, Florida said: I was just like that, a recent graduate with a masters in HR but nooooo experience. In HR you will come to find that experience is a big deal. Now I see that they were right. However what I did was sign up with as many Temp job as possible and get your HR expereince and even better a HR job through them.

The "catch-22" is this: with a masters degree the result of an interview is that you're overqualified.

I am in the same predicament. I have an MBA in HR Management, working right now in a healthcare position with no where to transfer in the company. So it gets discouraging at times, but I'm always on the lookout to enter into the HR arena.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Ypsilanti, Michigan

76 months ago

Renee in Saginaw, Michigan said: The "catch-22" is this: with a masters degree the result of an interview is that you're overqualified.

I am in the same predicament. I have an MBA in HR Management, working right now in a healthcare position with no where to transfer in the company. So it gets discouraging at times, but I'm always on the lookout to enter into the HR arena.

I too have a Master's in HR. You're right everyone in HR wants you to have all this experience yet no one will give you the opportunity. I was lucky and got an HR job in manufcutring and hated my manager so I got out...I regret leaving because of her. I am i nhealthcare and hate it...looking to leave asap!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Pierrot

62 months ago

I reside in South Florida and soon-to-be 29 years old. I earned a Bachelor's Degree in MIS in 2004. I spent about a year and half looking for an entry-level position in that field, but was unsuccessful. Therefore, instead of continuing wasting my time, I decided to pursue a Master's Degree in HR. I have just completed my studies, and the graduating ceremony is a few weeks away.

Currently, I have been seeking a position in HR but have hit road blocks after road blocks. It seems that experience is more important than a degree. My education is the proudest achievement in my life thus far; however, I do not have the job or career to go along with my education. It is very frustrating. Currently, I work in customer service for an online university. At this time, my employer does not have any open HR positions.

I really want to work in HR because it is of a great interest to me. However, I have a question. With a Bachelor's in Business Administration (MIS) and Master's in HR, is it possible to work in management (not necessarily HR)?? I need assistance!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Tempe, Arizona

62 months ago

I echo, everyone’s sentiments, I am preparing to graduate in August with my MBA with concentration in HR and have been diligently seeking employment. I am noticing the same stumbling blocks regarding experience even though I thought my experience in the social and court service would be a great collaboration between the two professions. Unfortunately, it seems that I was mistaken, experience seems most important. However, I will continue to keep my eyes open for potential opportunities believing that someone will give me an opportunity to prove myself worth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Justin in Salt Lake City, Utah

61 months ago

Pierrot said: I reside in South Florida and soon-to-be 29 years old. I earned a Bachelor's Degree in MIS in 2004. I spent about a year and half looking for an entry-level position in that field, but was unsuccessful. Therefore, instead of continuing wasting my time, I decided to pursue a Master's Degree in HR. I have just completed my studies, and the graduating ceremony is a few weeks away.

Currently, I have been seeking a position in HR but have hit road blocks after road blocks. It seems that experience is more important than a degree. My education is the proudest achievement in my life thus far; however, I do not have the job or career to go along with my education. It is very frustrating. Currently, I work in customer service for an online university. At this time, my employer does not have any open HR positions.

I really want to work in HR because it is of a great interest to me. However, I have a question. With a Bachelor's in Business Administration (MIS) and Master's in HR, is it possible to work in management (not necessarily HR)?? I need assistance!!

I would think that with a bachelors degree in Business Admin you would be a good candidate for any sort of Business Management position Retail or office, have you had any experience in leadership, managing others in not there are plenty of opportunities to build that trait up, from such things as volunteering as a city league coach to entry level positions with corporations...Anything that will back up you saying you successfully managed others is going to be a big plus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

16 months ago

"mySCAMshop@gmail.com"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.