Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (46)

Host

What are typical hr generalist salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Pam in Portland, ME

95 months ago

The salary range for an HR Generalist can range any where from 30k to 60k in the Maine area.
Being a generalist you will need to learn all skills in HR the field. I would have to say experience to be the most beneficial when it comes to salary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nan in Lakeland, FL

95 months ago

Salary.com is an excellent place to find out what are the average salaries in your area. Experienced Generalists and Managers in Tampa Bay, FL average about $65,000.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Entry Level HR in Suwanee, GA

95 months ago

Pam said: The salary range for an HR Generalist can range any where from 30k to 60k in the Maine area.
Being a generalist you will need to learn all skills in HR the field. I would have to say experience to be the most beneficial when it comes to salary.

I just finished my 4 year degree in HR with no prior experience. Now, I'm having such a hard time getting my foot in the door. How do I start my career if no one will give me a chance?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kristy in Durham, NC

95 months ago

I have a Master's degree in I/O psychology, and have been working as a Compensation Analyst for over a year. I am trying to find a new job so that I can relocate to Charleston, SC and would like to move into a more HR Generalist role. (I want to learn more about the other areas of HR besides Comp.) I've already taken and passed the PHR certification exam, but won't be considered certified until I have one more year of experience. I can definitely appreciate Suwanee's situation because even with all of this I'm having problems finding an HR job. Can anyone offer us some guidance on how to market ourselves or where to look for openings?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Henry Lee in Waynesboro, Virginia

94 months ago

$35000.00 is more realistic. I have an MBA in HR and I was only asking $45000.00 and no job offer. I had some responses asking what me salary requirement is. Once I said $45000.00, that's the end of it. I have been looking for a job for over 120 days. Something is wrong here.

Companies today wants to hire young HR generalist without eduction for a low salary. Say you were lucky and got a job as an HR clerk (only high school eduction)making $10.00. You worked for a company for 5 years, now you are an HR generalist and you will take $35000.

The only different is that an MBA HR will and can do job analysis, evaluation, and be a strategic partner for the organization (OD). He can also do static and interactive SPD and SMM. He can do SWOT, Gap, and action plan, but do most companies want that?

After 120 days, if someone offers me $45000.00 I am taking it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

New Graduate in I/O. in Toms River, New Jersey

94 months ago

I am also having a difficult time with my job search.

I graduated with an Master's degree in I/O Psychology. I was fortunate to secure an internship with a large retail organization during my last year in school. After graduating, I was offered a generalist position, slightly above 50K. However, the position is in a retail setting, at 50-60 hours/week with weekends and holidays; not my ideal situation, but 'doable'. Due to my difficulty finding a position which paid over 35K, I reluctantly accepted the position.

I am actively searching, but without much luck. I have even gone as far as applying for postions for which I am over-quailied, such as HR Assistant/Clerk, just to get my foot in the door. Still no luck.

I have researched which cities have the greatest demand for HR Generalists: New York, Houston, Chicago. I am willing to do what ever it takes, fi that includes relocate. I just need an opportunity.

I have even considered starting my own consulting company but even that requires some experience, to build a solid track record, contacts, etc. Any recommendations?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

HRdude in Waynesboro, Virginia

94 months ago

New Graduate in I/O

We are in the same boat. I did the same. I thought you were writing my experience. I know how you feel. I am working as a contingent workforce in a large distribution center.

I just don't know how the HR director got her job. It's holiday season and business is booming, so they need 400 employees additionally. Now, they could never get to that number because there is no planning.
HR planning is a pro active approach in staffing which involves projection of staffing needs and the available labor pool externally. Again they fail short.
Here I am wondering, I can do the job so much better than this person, and she is the HR director.

You are lucky. I talk to this career expert and he told me it will take close to six months to land a job in the director's level. One person I talked to (VP in HR), he told me it took him one and a half year to get his job. Here I am over 120 days with no bite.

I have over six years of HR experience and an MBA in the field. I was thinking about opening my own consulting firm as well, but you have to have network and eat dirt for a while, and I don't want to do that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

gregory a boyd said: i am also in the same boat. I have received my degree in april 2005 and have not found an job in HR. I am currently working as a production supervisor at an chemical plant. I have no real experience in HR but I have life time experience in some HR tasks.

I would take a crap job as an HR assistant to get started.

New Graduate in I/O in Toms River, New Jersey

94 months ago

Distribution, probably quite similar to my work environmnent, high volume staffing, AND turnover.

Six of experience, an MBA and no bite? HRDUDE, I know the job market is rough, but your post is a little disheartening. Most of the job postings out there are for higher level positions like Dir. and VP. I am just seeking a Associate/Anayst/Manager role to start.

I guess I am lucky. Without this job offer, I would have been in a much lower salary bracket.

Have you tried joining a consulting firm? I know they typically recruit MBAs over MAs.

94 months ago

New Graduate,
You might be right. Ten years ago, I only had a high school education and I was making $52000 (may be it was just luck). I usually walk in and get a job.

I guess the higher you get the tougher it gets.

Dishearted, but have to keep going. I too am seeking a low lever job at this time to get back into the market. I told this lady who was only offering $50000 for an HR manager job, that I am willing to accept the salary they offered. She didn't even call me back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

rhonda in Houston, Texas

94 months ago

Kristy said: I have a Master's degree in I/O psychology, and have been working as a Compensation Analyst for over a year. I am trying to find a new job so that I can relocate to Charleston, SC and would like to move into a more HR Generalist role. (I want to learn more about the other areas of HR besides Comp.) I've already taken and passed the PHR certification exam, but won't be considered certified until I have one more year of experience. I can definitely appreciate Suwanee's situation because even with all of this I'm having problems finding an HR job. Can anyone offer us some guidance on how to market ourselves or where to look for openings?

rhonda in Houston, Texas

94 months ago

Can anyone tell me if they have passed the PHR without cramming or studying for the exam. An exam is coming up in my area in January and I am not certain I will have enough time to devote to studying. I don't want to waste paying for the exam if it isn't doable. Any feedback would be appreciated.

94 months ago

Guys,
Keep me inform. May be we can network together and see if we can help each other out.

We are in the same boat and need to help each other out.

caysee in Clermont, Florida

94 months ago

rhonda said: Can anyone tell me if they have passed the PHR without cramming or studying for the exam. An exam is coming up in my area in January and I am not certain I will have enough time to devote to studying. I don't want to waste paying for the exam if it isn't doable. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I took a 5 day course (waste of time) and then studied the materials for 4 months before I took it and passed the first time. The test comes directly from the books from the course. If you have those you can study on your own and pass. I am not sure you can take it cold unless you have been in HR a while and have experience in every facet of HR. The test covers everything.

HRDude in Waynesboro, Virginia

94 months ago

Rhonda said: Can anyone tell me if they have passed the PHR without cramming or studying for the exam. An exam is coming up in my area in January and I am not certain I will have enough time to devote to studying. I don't want to waste paying for the exam if it isn't doable. Any feedback would be appreciated.

This is my opinion. Please correct me if I am wrong and I hope I am not too harsh. If you have to cram to study for the exam, you should not take it. This type of exam is made for people who studied and have some work experience. If you cannot pass it, that means you need to do more studying. Let say you got this job and the VP told you to give him an ROI on benefit package in his department. He wanted compensation per head count and he wanted to know the incentive payout per EDBT as percentage, and wanted you to set it up as a zero sum budgeting. Can you do it? Can you set up the SPD and SMM over the intranet as a static and interactive component for your employees?

If you don't know the body of knowledge, you won't make the exam even if you cram it. It is something you learn along the way not like the SAT or GMAT. You either know the questions or you don't.

That's why you need to study and pass the PHR without cramming.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HR seeker in Cincinnati, Ohio

93 months ago

rhonda said:
HI, the Carolina's don't seem to hv much opportunity for HR Professionals. I was in Charlotte and it was hardly nothing at all in HR, and that's a large city.

HRDude in Fishersville, Virginia

93 months ago

According to the DOL, companies are hiring students fresh out of college. First, they will take less money and they work harder than the old experience geese like me. I have tons of experience and an MBA, so I am not going to take $35000, but a college student can.

HR jobs were up 25% comparing to 2005, and there are more majors in HR than any other fields, so, DOL says the trend of the HR field is very competitive for 2007 and 2008.

I have been searching for job since June, but no money on the table. Only three to four phone interviews. I will be changing career next year if the outlook is still bad.

There are two hot fields if you want to work: nursing and IT.

Emma (Host) in Stamford, Connecticut

93 months ago

HR seeker said: HI, the Carolina's don't seem to hv much opportunity for HR Professionals. I was in Charlotte and it was hardly nothing at all in HR, and that's a large city.

Have you tried doing some general searches on www.indeed.com. In situations like this one it also helps to search both HR and Human Resources:
Here's one for North Carolina:
www.indeed.com/jobs?q=HR+or+%22Human+Resources%22&l=North+Carolina&radius=

And another search for South Carolina:
www.indeed.com/jobs?q=HR+or+%22Human+Resources%22&l=South+Carolina&radius=

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

HR seeker in West Chester, Ohio

93 months ago

rhonda said:
Is it tough to find a job in I/O Psy? I was thinking about going into that area, from HR.

HR seeker in West Chester, Ohio

93 months ago

HRdude said: New Graduate in I/O
We are in the same boat. I did the same. I thought you were writing my experience. I know how you feel. I am working as a contingent workforce in a large distribution center.
I just don't know how the HR director got her job. It's holiday season and business is booming, so they need 400 employees additionally. Now, they could never get to that number because there is no planning.
HR planning is a pro active approach in staffing which involves projection of staffing needs and the available labor pool externally. Again they fail short.
Here I am wondering, I can do the job so much better than this person, and she is the HR director.
You are lucky. I talk to this career expert and he told me it will take close to six months to land a job in the director's level. One person I talked to (VP in HR), he told me it took him one and a half year to get his job. Here I am over 120 days with no bite.
I have over six years of HR experience and an MBA in the field. I was thinking about opening my own consulting firm as well, but you have to have network and eat dirt for a while, and I don't want to do that.
what's going on with the I/O psy, I wanted to go into that area,took some I/o grad classes- but find it probable easier to pursue HR positions, there seems not to be a demand for I/O psy after seeing all the I/O majors reply's.

Bubba in Los Angeles, California

92 months ago

An obvious followup question.

People on the other boards seem to be so furious at how crappy the HR process for hiring is.

Are all these new grads any good at evaluating the skills and attitudes that ops, or management needs?

Should seekers be tuning their resumes to appeal to these guys?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cita in Dallas in Plano, Texas

92 months ago

I am having the same problem as many of you guys. I received my B.A. in Coporate Communicaitons and am about to receive my M.H.R emphasis in Human Resource Development. I am having an incredibly hard time trying to find a job that pays decent. It looks like I am going to have to take a step down and make less money to get some experience under my belt. I was starting to wonder did I waste my time going to school if all anybody wants is experience!!

HRdude in Tyro, Virginia

92 months ago

Don't feel bad. The economy is bad and no one is quiting. About 10 years ago, I only had an high school education and I could get a job just by applying. Never had to go back twice. Then I got my BS in Organizion Development. Things were the same. I always got a job and paid well. I was making some money then. Then I went back and got my MBA in HR and e-Commerce. Things went south since.
Crap jobs won't take me because I am over qualified, but great job won't take me either because I don't have enough experience. I talked to some poeple, and I honestly don't know how they get their jobs. These people know nothing about their jobs and are very unprofessional.

This is my situation. I had no job (traget situation), then I got a contengent job (worked for four months), now I got a low paying job. I keep applying, and one day I will get an OK paying job, and from then I will get a six figure job. It might take a few years, but we all have to do what is needed to get by.

New Graduate in I/O in Clifton Heights, Pennsylvania

92 months ago

Has anyone joined professional organizations, such as Society for Industrial Organizational Psychology (SIOP) or SHRM? Becoming active in your local chapter and/or attending annual conferences may provide networking opporunties which could lead to employment, etc. I have joined both, but have not yet taken advantage of the networking opporunities.

Check out their job boards:

SIOP
www.siop.org/Placement/JobLookup.asp

SHRM
jobs.shrm.org/jobseekerx/

From Texas in Killeen, Texas

92 months ago

HRDude said: According to the DOL, companies are hiring students fresh out of college. First, they will take less money and they work harder than the old experience geese like me. I have tons of experience and an MBA, so I am not going to take $35000, but a college student can.
HR jobs were up 25% comparing to 2005, and there are more majors in HR than any other fields, so, DOL says the trend of the HR field is very competitive for 2007 and 2008.
I have been searching for job since June, but no money on the table. Only three to four phone interviews. I will be changing career next year if the outlook is still bad.
There are two hot fields if you want to work: nursing and IT.

I think the problem is you probably scare the employer away with your "book" knowledge. HR is not always that difficult. I think that is is more who you know sometimes and HR is a field for those who want to "hump" to make their footprint. Call backs, getting your name out there helps. Think of you as an HR professional...What makes you hire someone? Also remember many HR professionals are not as educated or as qualified so why would they put you in a position below them if they believe you will take their position? I am changing my field to auditing because the HR game is very difficult where I live.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CBD in Wakefield, Massachusetts

91 months ago

You have to understand -you can be "book" smart, be "people" smart. HR is a combination of business sense and people sense. I've been in HR for 12+ years, started looking 10 days ago - have my 8th interview and 2 call backs. granted the boston area is booming 80-90K for generalists--

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

New Graduate in I/O in Folsom, Pennsylvania

91 months ago

You're right. I have to continue to build knowledge/skill on both fronts. With such an intensive background, you will have a much easier time securing employment.

I am no longer in the retail arena. Now that I have taken on a Career Services Mgr position with technical school, I feel out of the HR loop. My job involves recruiting (for jobs) and one-on-one career counseling. I also teach a week-long job search course. I'm concerned about taking on this type of role so early in my career. However, I do enjoy the 50K salary, traditional business hours and 10 minute commute.

I am looking to stay involved in HR, by becoming active in my local chapter of Shrm.org. If the right HR position comes up, I would definitely consider it. I just don't want to be percieved as a job hopper.

Chris in Chelmsford, Massachusetts

88 months ago

You need to study even if you are in the field. At least buy the books to study you need to to pay $1200 for the prep class. A co-worker took it in Jan 2007 borrow book that were used in Jan 2006 and she passed.

New Graduate in I/O in Folsom, Pennsylva in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Thanks for the advice! I am now back in HR - Employee Relations in a corporate setting. My employer will cover the costs of the class and all materials. I probably wait a few months to get settled and then start the prep work.

Joe Giauque in Grand Junction, Colorado

86 months ago

St. Mary's Hospital & Medical Center
Employee Relations Manager - Overview

FLSA Status: Exempt
Pay Range: 24.86 - 34.91

SUMMARY
Recommends, implements and interprets policies & procedures related to employee relations; coordinates resolution of employee relations issues based on employment law, internal equity, ethical decision making and organizational practice and values; monitors work environment and interacts pro-actively with leadership to maintain positive employee relations.

EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Required: Bachelor's degree in a related field. Three years of Human Resources experience with progressive focus on employee relations in a large organization.
Preferred: healthcare experience and PHR.

To learn more about our organization or to submit a job application: www.stmarygj.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HR Czar in San Jose, California

85 months ago

I don't mean to be harsh, but for HR people, many of the people on this board don't seem to have a clue about how comps work. There are many factors you need to look at. First off, you need to look at the specific position and it's duties, responsibilities and requirements (such as years of experience, education, certs, etc). Just going by a title is meaningless. Second, you also need to look at where the job is located (geographic segmentation), then the "industry" the job is in (market segmentation). These will also play a factor. Lastly, you need to look at both incumbents already in the position (internal equity) from all the companies with a specific industry and/or georgraphic region and others in the labor pool that are truly qualified (external labor market) but are not working. All these factors go into a comp for a particular position such as an "HR Generalist". Starting pay in the Bay Area tends to be around 40-50K with no degree, 45-55K with a degree and on up based on experience. I have been a Generalist for 6 years in Hi-tech and I make 98K base, with a 24% bi-annual bonus and also have stock options and restricted stock that are currently worth about $220K. If I had the same job in another industry and another part of the country, I would definitely make much less.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Juan in Clearwater, Florida

84 months ago

Entry Level HR in Suwanee, GA said: I just finished my 4 year degree in HR with no prior experience. Now, I'm having such a hard time getting my foot in the door. How do I start my career if no one will give me a chance?

I recently faced the same issue. A good start is an internship, try to find a mentor to help you around and network. Prove that you can contribute, and chances are you will be kept, or at the very least have that experience which will help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tricia in Tulsa, Oklahoma

81 months ago

rhonda in Houston, Texas said: Can anyone tell me if they have passed the PHR without cramming or studying for the exam. An exam is coming up in my area in January and I am not certain I will have enough time to devote to studying. I don't want to waste paying for the exam if it isn't doable. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Rhonda, I suggest you study for the test. I took it in 2001 and have been re-certified twice. It helps if you review the SHRM learning system. Depending on the best way you learn, practice tests, lectures, note cards, etc, should guide you in whether to study or to cram. Go with what you feel at peace about. Yes, certification is important, but I suggest to pay for the exam, if you are not ready for it.

81 months ago

Tricia in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: Rhonda, I suggest you study for the test. I took it in 2001 and have been re-certified twice. It helps if you review the SHRM learning system. Depending on the best way you learn, practice tests, lectures, note cards, etc, should guide you in whether to study or to cram. Go with what you feel at peace about. Yes, certification is important, but I suggest to pay for the exam, if you are not ready for it.

Sorry for the earlier typo. I suggest that you do NOT pay for an exam that you do not feel you would pass.

81 months ago

HR Czar in San Jose, California said: I don't mean to be harsh, but for HR people, many of the people on this board don't seem to have a clue about how comps work. There are many factors you need to look at. First off, you need to look at the specific position and it's duties, responsibilities and requirements (such as years of experience, education, certs, etc). Just going by a title is meaningless. Second, you also need to look at where the job is located (geographic segmentation), then the "industry" the job is in (market segmentation). These will also play a factor. Lastly, you need to look at both incumbents already in the position (internal equity) from all the companies with a specific industry and/or georgraphic region and others in the labor pool that are truly qualified (external labor market) but are not working. All these factors go into a comp for a particular position such as an "HR Generalist". Starting pay in the Bay Area tends to be around 40-50K with no degree, 45-55K with a degree and on up based on experience. I have been a Generalist for 6 years in Hi-tech and I make 98K base, with a 24% bi-annual bonus and also have stock options and restricted stock that are currently worth about $220K. If I had the same job in another industry and another part of the country, I would definitely make much less.

Thank you for your feedback. You are right. Comps do matter. Thank you for the giving the "bright outlook" to look forward too.

L61701 in Normal, Illinois

77 months ago

Henry Lee in Waynesboro, Virginia said: $35000.00 is more realistic. I have an MBA in HR and I was only asking $45000.00 and no job offer. I had some responses asking what me salary requirement is. Once I said $45000.00, that's the end of it. I have been looking for a job for over 120 days. Something is wrong here.

Companies today wants to hire young HR generalist without eduction for a low salary. Say you were lucky and got a job as an HR clerk (only high school eduction)making $10.00. You worked for a company for 5 years, now you are an HR generalist and you will take $35000.

The only different is that an MBA HR will and can do job analysis, evaluation, and be a strategic partner for the organization (OD). He can also do static and interactive SPD and SMM. He can do SWOT, Gap, and action plan, but do most companies want that?

After 120 days, if someone offers me $45000.00 I am taking it.

I was in the same boat as you when I looked! It took me about 9 months to find my first position fresh out of MBA school and newly certified. Most offers were very low. Don't get discouraged!

I recognize that they want HR to do a mere administrative role rather than the more important technical area like you mentioned.

Claudia

75 months ago

I live in Houston,TX and am currently working as a Benefits and Payroll Coordinator. I have already been told that once I receive my degree next June they will move into a HR Generalist role. What I want to know is how much are they going to start me at? I too have lots of HR experience and my husband suggested that I take no less than 60K but, I was looking at the average salary and it is about 48K. What do the level in a generalist role mean?

Mayra in Houston, Texas

72 months ago

rhonda in Houston, Texas said: Can anyone tell me if they have passed the PHR without cramming or studying for the exam. An exam is coming up in my area in January and I am not certain I will have enough time to devote to studying. I don't want to waste paying for the exam if it isn't doable. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Study! I took a short course from Rice but the test is hard, if you don't have time to study seriously don't even try. Most people take it twice, good luck!

Angie in Tulsa, Oklahoma

69 months ago

For those fresh out of college, my suggestion would be to start looking at staffing agencies ie, express personnel, Adecco, Kelly Services. I have a basic BA in psychology and 4 years ago I got a job as a staffing supervisor at a large staffing company. With all the experience I learned on the job training I was able to secure a recruiting job at a large hospital in Tulsa, OK. I have no healthcare background but because of what I learned at the staffing company I am successful at my job. I am now studying to take the PHR in June to help further me in my goals.

GOOD LUCK!

Does anyone know where to go to get more free test questions to aid in studying for the PHR?

HR Manager in Miami in Miami, Florida

68 months ago

Entry Level HR in Suwanee, GA said: I just finished my 4 year degree in HR with no prior experience. Now, I'm having such a hard time getting my foot in the door. How do I start my career if no one will give me a chance?

Look for an HR Assistant position. This will help you get in the door. Also learn about your federal and state labor laws. Go on the dept of labor website and read. It will help you.

HR Manager in Miami in Miami, Florida

68 months ago

Bubba in Los Angeles, California said: An obvious followup question.

People on the other boards seem to be so furious at how crappy the HR process for hiring is.

Are all these new grads any good at evaluating the skills and attitudes that ops, or management needs?

Should seekers be tuning their resumes to appeal to these guys?

1. Should you tune your resume to fit the job-Yes. I had several resumes and cover letters to fir certain positions. it helps.

Shanda Tyiska in Garland, Texas

41 months ago

You are going to have to join an association and network. now days its about who you know. you should consider joining Sherm in your local area for HR careers.

HR Intern Seeker in Wichita, Kansas

39 months ago

I want to complete an HR internship this summer or next fall to gain some experience in the field. I am currently applying for open internship positions I see, but I also think it's important to work at creating my own internship opportunity. I plan to attend some HR networking events, but was wondering about the possibility of cold calling.

Should I send a letter before I contact the HR director to see if they would take me on as an intern (this wouldn't have to be paid - I would work for free to gain experience)? HR people are extremely busy, so I worry I would never be able to actually reach them or my pitch of what I'm wanting to do would take too long if I cold called them on the phone. On the other hand if I send an introductory letter beforehand I'm worried it might get lost in the mass of applications and resumes HR already receives. Any thoughts or ideas of what I should do?

wishihadajob

39 months ago

Host said: What are typical hr generalist salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

I suggest going thru the management training program at Enterprise Rent-A-Car. Then, apply for HR positions in the company. They promote from within.

New to HR in florence, Alabama

33 months ago

HR Czar in San Jose, California said: I don't mean to be harsh, but for HR people, many of the people on this board don't seem to have a clue about how comps work. There are many factors you need to look at. First off, you need to look at the specific position and it's duties, responsibilities and requirements (such as years of experience, education, certs, etc). Just going by a title is meaningless. Second, you also need to look at where the job is located (geographic segmentation), then the "industry" the job is in (market segmentation). These will also play a factor. Lastly, you need to look at both incumbents already in the position (internal equity) from all the companies with a specific industry and/or georgraphic region and others in the labor pool that are truly qualified (external labor market) but are not working. All these factors go into a comp for a particular position such as an "HR Generalist". Starting pay in the Bay Area tends to be around 40-50K with no degree, 45-55K with a degree and on up based on experience. I have been a Generalist for 6 years in Hi-tech and I make 98K base, with a 24% bi-annual bonus and also have stock options and restricted stock that are currently worth about $220K. If I had the same job in another industry and another part of the country, I would definitely make much less.

I just graduated in December and have been looking for an HR job ever since I'm having no luck. But I have been applying to different places in different states! All the jobs I'm interested in require so many years of experience, but how do I get experience if no one will give me a chance? I have 6+ years in some HR tasks, but nothing with an HR job title. Its frustrating and depressing. What can I do??

Also, my resume needs to be fixed up. I don't know how to fix it though or who to ask? Anyone I ask doesn't know how. Does anyone know a good website to get my resume fixed to be more professional?

I need all the help I can get!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.