Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Host

How did you get your start doing hardware technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Garry in Browns Mills, New Jersey

42 months ago

I attempted a carrer change and went to school (Chubb Institute) for 5 monthes and acquired a diploma as well as an A+ and a Certified Novell Administrator (CNA) "not nursing". I enjoyed 3 years in the field and started as a temp and worked my way into a Sr. level position after being acquired by Compaq (to HP) The BIG problem is that I was laid off by Carly Fiorina, who acquired the Presidential Position at Hewlitt Packard who felt outscourcing to INDIA would cut costs.I, as well as 300 other brilliant individuals were laid off (in a nice way).I found nothing more than engineering and software positions available at that time.I was lucky enough to KNOW a network admin for a large phamacuitical company who recommended me to a sweat shop (bench tech).I worked for them as a temp for a year after a 5 month deal. then the work was done and I got laid off. They called me back. another year, then laid off. They called me again another 9 months before I demanded a permanant position. I was laid off again, that day. Now I drive a truck. It is steady, long hours(if you want to earn enough for peanut butter and jelly and rice). Act young and interested. because I got old and disconcerned. Good Luck:|

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.