Heavy Equipment Operator

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 573)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Rodolfo Gonzalez in Tucson, Arizona

91 months ago

I am a Certified H E O, I II III. I obtained my certs on Nov of 06. I have been looking for work in Las Vegas and Arizona. Calif. What does it take to get hired. They either want a High School Diploma, or experience, how do you obtain that if no one wants to give you a chance, not even the Unions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Nicholas Hammer in Frisco, Colorado

89 months ago

Rodolfo Gonzalez said: I am a Certified H E O, I II III. I obtained my certs on Nov of 06. I have been looking for work in Las Vegas and Arizona. Calif. What does it take to get hired. They either want a High School Diploma, or experience, how do you obtain that if no one wants to give you a chance, not even the Unions?
Give me a call Rodolfo...located in North central Colorado...most everyone will hire and train up here...(970) 485-4113

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Boulder City, Nevada

88 months ago

Rodolfo Gonzalez in Tucson, Arizona said: Hi Angie
The school you are referring me to, is the school that I attended, they promise you alot, however they don't place as they say, the person in charge of that gives you a list of phone numbers, and company names, and you do all of the work, and none of them are hiring, I have contacted this School through their website, and have received contacts for work, in Vegas, and guess what either they are not hiring, or the phone number is wrong or the Company does not exist, they are a joke, they are stealing money from people right and left, and getting away with it.

Rodolfo,

Have you seen all the videos from that school? They are all over the internet... Sheesh... I found the number on there website... nv-sc.com.... It's 702-644-2509

Call them and they can help you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Jamesa in Washington, District of Columbia

88 months ago

I had no idea that when I graduated from college that they had promised to get me a job. I guess all that interview coaching was just in case none of the companies that guaranteed me a job actually hired me.
Don't blame the school you went to. No school guarantees jobs. It's impossible. Maybe you should take a look at your interviewing skills, or check the area you're seeking jobs in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Las Vegas, Nevada

88 months ago

Rodolfo,

I live in Las Vegas and popped my head into the Nevada School of Construction. I was thinking about going to school, but I am going to wait a little longer. Anyways, I didn't get the feeling that they promise anyone a job. They simply offer training to help you become an equipment operator. If the jobs they gave you aren't open, keep looking. I know there are TONS of jobs with all of the construction going on!

At least they have people on their staff to help find some jobs. The last school I went to just gave me a certificate and showed me the door!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ron Berkham in Las Vegas, Nevada

88 months ago

Rodolfo, I attended that school last year and graduated in November. Right out of school I got a job for $28 an hour. Within 3 months, I got a raise to $35 an hour. If it wasn't for that school giving me the opportunity, I would be moving furniture for $9 an hour like I was before. The staff was helpful, but it was MY hard work that got me the job. I sent out a lot of resumes, but in the end, it was the first place I sent to that gave me the best job. There is a lot of work in Vegas (and I work in Mesquite, too).
Don't dis the school, it's not their fault you can't find a job. Work is all over the place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Jason in San Diego, California

86 months ago

Rodolfo Gonzalez in Tucson, Arizona said: I am a Certified H E O, I II III. I obtained my certs on Nov of 06. I have been looking for work in Las Vegas and Arizona. Calif. What does it take to get hired. They either want a High School Diploma, or experience, how do you obtain that if no one wants to give you a chance, not even the Unions?

Right on bro! I'm with you on that one, I became NCCER certifed in H.E.O. levels 1 and 2, I went to ATS Nevada on 4405 E. Colton Ave in Vegas and finished on March 2nd. NOBODY has even considered giving me a chance!! and it is becoming aggravating!I am starting to think it was a HUGE waste of time and $12,500!! ($10,995 for school, and $1,500 for hotel)
I even applied with an apprenticeship program to get my foot in the door, and still I get NOTHING!! what a waste! now I'm broke!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in San Diego, California

86 months ago

Rodolfo Gonzalez in Tucson, Arizona said: Hi Angie
The school you are referring me to, is the school that I attended, they promise you alot, however they don't place as they say, the person in charge of that gives you a list of phone numbers, and company names, and you do all of the work, and none of them are hiring, I have contacted this School through their website, and have received contacts for work, in Vegas, and guess what either they are not hiring, or the phone number is wrong or the Company does not exist, they are a joke, they are stealing money from people right and left, and getting away with it.

Right on I agree lets file a class action!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

One instructor I had in level 1 at ATS-NV would be drunk almost everynight (he was staying at the hotel most of the students were staying) on a couple of our "tests" we were given wrong info, and got the answers wrong because of it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

I also attended ATS graduaded in Nov of 2006, I don't know what to tell you about the instructor, I didn't run into anything like that, however I still can't find a job nowhere, I reside in Tucson, AZ where they pay you peanuts for whatever your trade is, and they don't want to accept the credentials that I paid so much money for. They wont even give you a chance, I have applied to so many areas, all over the State of AZ, CA and also Nevada, and nothing. I am truly sorry to hear that you had that experience, you should have reported him. I will keep on looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Ron Berkham in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Rodolfo, I attended that school last year and graduated in November. Right out of school I got a job for $28 an hour. Within 3 months, I got a raise to $35 an hour. If it wasn't for that school giving me the opportunity, I would be moving furniture for $9 an hour like I was before. The staff was helpful, but it was MY hard work that got me the job. I sent out a lot of resumes, but in the end, it was the first place I sent to that gave me the best job. There is a lot of work in Vegas (and I work in Mesquite, too).
Don't dis the school, it's not their fault you can't find a job. Work is all over the place.

I have been sending out Resumes Everyday, Lamar is still puting out Co. that don't respond. I am glad you got hired, why didn't you call me. As a matter of fact I am going to be attending a job fair this coming Saturday out of State. Maybe I will get lucky. I have a question for you. Who hired you in Vegas, not to imply racism, what color are you, I feel that I am being discriminated upon, I happen to be a Mexican American, not a white one, a Brown skin one, they don't even call me for an interview. I am not downing the Scool, I am quoting their promise of placement. That is false adds because they don't place. Lamar is in charge of that, and half the time he does not know what he is doing. That whole bunch in there are all in the good ole boys club, they all live in the same street in Vegas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Jay in San Diego, California said: Right on I agree lets file a class action!

I keep seeing this school for training all over the map, if anyone starts a suit count me in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Hi Jay
I paid them 15,000 Cash, because they promised so much, when I interviewed them, before I went to School. I go on line everyday except for Sunday, I will either email resume or I fax them over, and no one respond, its almost as if they don't want anything to do with you, it is almost as if they are angry because I attended that school. There is going to be a job fair in New Mexico, with Dodge Phelps they are a huge minning Co. and I will be heading that way. Resumes and all. There is also an Agency, called Express in OK City, that need Heavy Equipment Operators in the Oil fields they offer training, and also will pay for your CDL License. Lots of ove time. I will keep on sharing with you. Go online and Click on indeed or Career builder they are great, I still havent gotten a job through them, however they do have alot of info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

This has nothing to do with a High School Diploma, alot of the places that I have applied for are not even asking for it, they do not recognize this School, Question are you in their payroll? I believe you are if I remember correctly. I am not the only one that is telling horror stories about this School. I am not the expert here, they are they sure now how to take people out for a ride. I will get hired sooner or later, but not because of where I attended school, but because of my reputation as an employee. Sooner or later this will go back on them. Believe me I know. I believe you all belong to the same Church, and I also believe that this is not what it teaches. I realize that we are not all perfect, and that we have free will, however that does not give them or anyone else to take advantage of others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in San Diego, California

86 months ago

Rodolfo Gonzalez in Tucson, Arizona said: Hi Jay
I paid them 15,000 Cash, because they promised so much, when I interviewed them, before I went to School. I go on line everyday except for Sunday, I will either email resume or I fax them over, and no one respond, its almost as if they don't want anything to do with you, it is almost as if they are angry because I attended that school. There is going to be a job fair in New Mexico, with Dodge Phelps they are a huge minning Co. and I will be heading that way. Resumes and all. There is also an Agency, called Express in OK City, that need Heavy Equipment Operators in the Oil fields they offer training, and also will pay for your CDL License. Lots of ove time. I will keep on sharing with you. Go online and Click on indeed or Career builder they are great, I still havent gotten a job through them, however they do have alot of info.

Yep I paid $10,995 for 2 levels, and another $1500 for 6 weeks at the WORST hotel I have ever stayed at! called The Emerald Suites Nellis, what a DUMP that place was! broken furniture, holes in the wall and bedroom door, microwave hardly worked, WORST beds I ever slept on, refrigerator leaked water from the top of the inside and ruined a bunch of food I had, I set little traps to see if the room service was snooping around, and every time the traps were set off, I was told by fellow students stuff was missing out of there rooms! what bulls*** when you cant trust anyone!
I am still trying to just get my foot in the door with a company in San Diego, I have to stay here cause I am married and own a small condo with my wife here, plus my wife has a career here also, so I cant leave.
Most responses I get back (which are very few) immediately
say I have no experience or "seat time" yet, it's like your supposed to be born with the experience or something!
One guy in my class was going through all 4 levels costing him a total of $29K!!(he said) I say GOOD LUCK BRO to him!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

John in San Diego, California

86 months ago

Rodolfo Gonzalez in Tucson, Arizona said: This has nothing to do with a High School Diploma, alot of the places that I have applied for are not even asking for it, they do not recognize this School, Question are you in their payroll? I believe you are if I remember correctly. I am not the only one that is telling horror stories about this School. I am not the expert here, they are they sure now how to take people out for a ride. I will get hired sooner or later, but not because of where I attended school, but because of my reputation as an employee. Sooner or later this will go back on them. Believe me I know. I believe you all belong to the same Church, and I also believe that this is not what it teaches. I realize that we are not all perfect, and that we have free will, however that does not give them or anyone else to take advantage of others.

Hey Rodolfo, I bet those other people posting like Angie, Ron, Mike, Brian etc. are just people from the school using fake names to make the school look good!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Brett Bradbury in San Diego, California

86 months ago

Yeah I went to ATS in Vegas,I was gonna stay through level 3, but I hi-tailed it the hell outta there, when I saw what BS it was! I stayed until level 1 was done. I would feel embarrassed to apply for an equipment job with what knowledge I learned from that place!( the instructor was lame) www.yellowmetalusa.com is a joke too, never stuff there either, in my area.
I saw another equipment training school that was charging only $6200 for an 8 week course! plus they had a sh!t load
more equipment to train on! ATS had 4 backhoes, 2 loaders, 2 scrapers, 2 dozers, 1 skidsteer?!? a piece of sh!t dump truck and 1 water pull!(most equip was old busted up sh!t too!) with like 30+ students in the class!?! people were just standing around waiting for equipment to use! sure we were grading too, but what a waste of money!
This other school had like 10 backhoes, 6 loaders, 4 scrapers, 3 water pulls, 4 skid steers, 3 dumps, plus you can save money! well we all learn our lesson I guess! UGGGGH!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Sorry to hear you got taken for a ride also, We all learned a great lesson. I will not ever referred them to anyone. You are correct they are trying to run a business with out any updated equipment, there is nothing proffessional about them at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Hi John
We all learned a hard lesson from all of this, however the man upstairs is watching them all very closely, and as the saying goes every dog has his day, and they will have theirs. As he says there is nothing hidden in the dark that will not come to light. As for them being from the school, I believe it, I have had that same though. I don't think Co out here wishes to hire anyone from that School. They are a big joke. something is very wrong here. I wish you all the luck in the world, hope you get a job soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Yuba City, California

86 months ago

I'm glad I talked to some of you before I threw 15 grand down the Toilet. Anybody looking o become a Heavy Equipment operator should look at going to deep creek construction school $5900 state certified and your msha cert

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Thank you Ryan
I will tell everyone about that, I still don't have a job. No one accepts my Certs. I am stuck now paying out this money. I should have investigated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

George in Las Vegas, Nevada

86 months ago

Hey man, you should have come to the carreer fair for Phelps Dodge. They just hired a slug of people. I know that 8 of us were grads from the school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dan E in El Cajon, California

86 months ago

whats up brett bradburry

live in san diego 2 was looking at going to this school but glad i found this website. what was the name of that place that you found for $6200 with a lot better equpt?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

I did go to the job fair, they did hire alot of people, I even took a friend, and he got hired. I was told to go to orientation the following Wed, which I did, I am about 3 hrs away from Hurley NM, and that I was going to be making 18.00 per hr, and that I would be working at the Chino Mine in Hurley, and that I was over qualified, and I would be trained in their huge Equipment. I went to the orientation which turned out to be another interview, by this two men, and guess what they informed that because I had no experience as a heavy equipment operator, I would have to start as a laborer, making 11 dollars an hr, and working nights. Since this is a Union job it would be up to them to at what point I would at least start on the Equipment, maybe. I asked them how come you people hired a man that doesn't speak english, they had to get him a spanish speaking interviewer, has no education, and you hired him at 18 per her, and all you asked for was a backgroung check, and drug test, he passed those two, and he starts work in Morenci AZ this coming Monday. Their answer was. How do you know this? I said because I brought him with me. Guess what they did not have an answer. Oh well that is how it goes. So good luck with whoever got hired there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Brett Bradbury in San Diego, California

86 months ago

Dan E in El Cajon, California said: whats up brett bradburry

live in san diego 2 was looking at going to this school but glad i found this website. what was the name of that place that you found for $6200 with a lot better equpt?

Dude I am sorry cant recall, just search "heavy equipment schools" I believe thats what I did! it was a little while back now, I believe they were in one of the Carolina's
there are a bunch of equipment schools that I'm sure are way better than the one in Vegas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Deep creek construction school(apple valley) $5900 loader dozer excavator backhoe trencher skip loader grader state certified and msha cert

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Snake11 in Fairmount, Georgia

86 months ago

Dude i went to the ATS in Georgia. I went through Level 1. The instructors were great. We had 9 people to a class and 12 pieces to the 9 of us. Yes the living arrangements stink but oh well get over it. I have been out 4 days and already have 3 job offers starting between $25-$30/hr. Im getting my Class A cdl's next week so better pay. You just have to look. Dont knock the school. They dont come out and tell you that they will find you a job. I was told they would help and thats it. I found my own jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Hi Dude
the final say so on this matter is that there are better schools out there, that everyone recognizes for some reason this just doesn't cut it. I am serious they look at the credentials, and they laugh. Anyway I will keep on looking, I take the blame for this because I did not investigate before taking a leap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Rodolfo Gonzalez in Tucson, Arizona said: Hi Dude
the final say so on this matter is that there are better schools out there, that everyone recognizes for some reason this just doesn't cut it. I am serious they look at the credentials, and they laugh. Anyway I will keep on looking, I take the blame for this because I did not investigate before taking a leap.

Hey Roberto "Snake11???" gee 4 days out and I got 3 job offers already! starting 25-30 an hour!?! HAHA yeah right!!
plus we are talking about the Vegas school, not Georgia!
maybe Georgia is better than lame Vegas!
Seams to me if people were already in the construction trade (before going to H.E. school)
it probably would be A LOT easier to get your feet in the door
at an equip job, but if your someone like me, who is trying
to establish himself in a new line of work, you cant
find sh!t!! They wont even give you a chance, and that blows.
When I filled out my application for enrollment, a week later I was sent back an "acceptance" letter! well no sh!t I got accepted! They would accept a retarded monkey if it waved money in there faces! they dont give a crap! The director Jeff drove a brand new red Corvette!?! bought with money from former students probably!
Anyway look at Snake11's comment helpfuls, 8 of them?? sounds like another fake name to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

This site is so much bulls***, its funny to see all
the "yes" helpful comments when it comes to comments
regarding ATS!! and all the "no" comments regarding
the people who have something negative to say about ATS
I am sure there are a lot of pissed off people who
went to ATS (Nevada School of Construction) out there.
I know its the people from ATS probably using fake names
to make them look good, all while they make a fortune
off people trying to make an honest living in a new
career start. I did the math and figured out if a class of 28 (like mine was, which was way to many for the amount of old busted up equipment they had) all went through level 2 training @ $10,995 each it would come to $307,860 per 6 week session. There would be 9, 6 week sessions in a year, so 9 times $307,860 equals $2,770,740! WOW what a take!
The next class (beginning level 1) after I finished level 2
had 42!! students registered!! thats crazy! 28 people was way to many for the amount of equip they had!! and now they have 42!?! gonna be a lot of pissed off people from that class probably! by the way 42 times $10,995 comes to $461,790!! per 6 week, and $4,156,110 per year! no wonder they have new Red Corvettes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

When I applied for an apprenticeship program (which I still have not heard back from and have called several times and still nothing!) I told him what H.E.school I went to (ATS)
he said "was this the book you used to study?" and showed me a huge brand new 1000 page hardback h.e. operators book, the kind you would pay like $150 for at a college, with TONS of information and in color. I said "no, we used these old yellow modules, each piece of equip had a seperate module"
He told me, he had seen them before and that it was totally outdated old information (plus not to mention they were falling apart! sh!t if ATS was making at least $2,770,740 a year like John said, dont you think they could buy UP TO DATE LEARNING MATERIAL!!! the other binder I was givin had magazine quality pages with holes punched in them and put into a 3 ringed binder, most were falling out! time to update your learning material ATS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

DEEP CREEK CONSTRUCTION SCHOOL IT WILL SAVE YOU BIG MONEY AND YOU GET BETTER CERTS AND ONLY 10 PEOPLE PER CLASS. HE WILL TELL YOU ALL THE HOAXS ABOUT ATS. ATS IS A SCAM DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY. PS WHO HAS EVER HEARD OF A CONTRACTOR HIRING A LEVEL 1 2 OR 3 OPERATOR LOL. TYPE IN DEEP CREEK CONSTRUCTION SCHOOL IN GOOGLE AND CHECK IT OUT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dan E in El Cajon, California

86 months ago

thanks for the info on the school i am glad i didn't waist my money or risk my credit

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Snake11 in Ranger, Georgia

86 months ago

No im a real dude here that went to the Georgia-ATS. yeah the setup was alittle s*** but i just went for the training. And believe me if you have a Class A and HEO certification you make great pay. But remember the place im thinking of going starts at 27/hr but very very s***ty benefits. I have a kid and need some kickass benefits. But no s*** only 2 of the instructors knew what the hell they were doing and the rest were full of it. Move to GA if you need a job they are everywhere. There is a guy that was in level 2 while i was going who already had a job when he got out at 23/hr without a cdl. I had an interview about 2 hours after graduation with CW matthews in Marietta,GA. But i hear there are better schools out there just research it. i went to GA-ATS cause im about an hour away. so keep your heads up and you will find what you are looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas

86 months ago

John in San Diego, California said: This site is so much bulls***, its funny to see all the "yes" helpful comments when it comes to comments regarding ATS!!
Anyone can vote on the comments by clicking on Yes or No. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Hi John
Don't get upset about this anymore, sooner or later there will be a Class Action suit agains them, because jus about everyone that attended this school has not obtained a job. This tells me that they as a school do not have a very good reputation. So all we can all do is just not refer them anymore to anyone else. Ive gone on line looking for work and they want to start a school everywhere in the country. However the only school they have is the one in Las Vegas I believe. Greed has set into their lifes. There is no quality in their teaching. They lease the place that they teach out of, they don't own the poorly kept machinery, they lease that also. They all know each other, they all live on the same street in Las Vegas, they all belong to the same church. Believe it or not this are church going people. Maybe I ought to complain to Salt Lake City Utah. Greed is not what is being taught to them. Hopefully we will all find a job, and not because of them, but because we put out an effot

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Miguel Medina in Marysville, California

86 months ago

Im with all you guys ats/nsc is a joke i was better off going in to company as a laborer shoveling all day long and asking for seat time when ever i could. i did levels 123 and know im broke and have a job with the company i worked before which was cool better then nothing. work is very slow where i live i know alot of people that work in this trade and there still layed off till maybe next month its just the way it goes. one thing i learned is dont rely on the CERTIFICATION they can careless if you have it. they want to know you can OPERATE not pass a test on paper. if it were up to me i would do a FIELD test. there were alot of guys that couldnt run EQUIPMENT to save there lives. and left with certification because they can pass a test on paper and thats bulls*** they just want the money they dont care if you know what u are doing. if all else fails and u really need work go in as a laborer get your foot in the door dont tell them u went to the school tell them to let you on the machine them show what you got most of the time its all confidents if you dont have that in this trade your screwed.

P.S. YOUR RIGHT JEFF IS A...... i cant even say it wont let me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Snake11 in Lebanon, Georgia

86 months ago

Man they have schools all over the nation. There is even one in New Zealand. I over heard the instructors. But Rodolfo i wish you had better luck. You had to pay just like everyone else. The school in georgia was cool. I believe they lease a building out. But they own all the equipment. And yeah they will give anyone a certificate which was messed up. I felt i done great but there were others who upon graduation still didnt know what they were doing and they got the same certification as me. Try getting your CDL's it helps alot. And look into your local Septic companies. some pay really good. i hope you have better luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Phil in Kapolei, Hawaii

86 months ago

Ron,
Who do you work for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Retired Operator in Chicago, Illinois

86 months ago

Many of you are finding out that life isn't fair. It never has been. You've obviously been ripped off, but water under the bridge is just that. Even a successful class-action suite won't recompense you for many years to come. Don't bother sending out resumes. That usually doesn't work in the construction trades. Dress and act like someone that they might want to hire. Drive around (dressed to work - gloves, hardhat, lunch box, etc.) till you spot a construction site. Walk up to one of the workers and ask who the foreman is. Ask the foreman for a job - and if that job entails shovel work, screeding concrete, brick tending, or whatever, do it. After the foreman find out that will actually work, you'll get your chance "on the seat". Face reality - you're going to have to pay your dues; they won't start you at the top. Very few companies will put an unkown quantity on an expensive machine. I wouldn't. I'll bet you wouldn't either. Good luck, and remember when life gives you lemons, make lemonaide.

Retired heavy equipment operator.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yuliana Z in Sacramento, California

85 months ago

To any one out there thats interested the HEO field,
I don't know that if the info that I'm about to offer helps, but I hope that anyone out there that needs it at least knows its there.I read some of the statements that have been place here and I just wanted to ask if anyone has heard of Job Corps. There's many Job corps around the country, but the thing is that the one up in Washington and Sacramento offer Heavey Equipment training for free. You don't have to spend thousands of dollars and its guaranteed that you join the union as an apprentice upon completion. Its government funded, the only catch is that you have to qualified for it. You now, drug test, background check, income and what not. Be no older than 24 years of age at the time of entering and commit yourself to at least eight months to a year in a half in the program. Basically its at your own pace, but the sooner you get your equipment and grade setting down your out! At the end of the program the instructors sign you into the union, which is local 3. I have lots of more of information if anyone needs it. You can also check out the website for more info, but it really doesn't mention much. All I can say is that some of my buddies Completed like two months ago, and some are working the others are still on the out of work list. I do hope that the info helps, if you need more information or have questions please ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Yuliana Z in Sacramento, California

85 months ago

I also wanted to mention for those of you that dont have your class A, you can also obtain that here, its all payed for. I really do hope that this info helps you or someone that you know that is trying to go into this challengin field. Good luck.
Yuliana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

seth

85 months ago

Ryan in Yuba City, California said: I'm glad I talked to some of you before I threw 15 grand down the Toilet. Anybody looking o become a Heavy Equipment operator should look at going to deep creek construction school $5900 state certified and your msha cert

hey ry just reading thru sum 4ums saw you were from yuba. well, thats where i grew up just check'n if i might know ya

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

seth said: hey ry just reading thru sum 4ums saw you were from yuba. well, thats where i grew up just check'n if i might know ya

dont know what school did you go to what year you graduate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Matt Ford in Boise, Idaho

85 months ago

Brett Bradbury in San Diego, California said: Yeah I went to ATS in Vegas,I was gonna stay through level 3, but I hi-tailed it the hell outta there, when I saw what BS it was! I stayed until level 1 was done. I would feel embarrassed to apply for an equipment job with what knowledge I learned from that place!( the instructor was lame) www.yellowmetalusa.com is a joke too, never stuff there either, in my area.
I saw another equipment training school that was charging only $6200 for an 8 week course! plus they had a sh!t load
more equipment to train on! ATS had 4 backhoes, 2 loaders, 2 scrapers, 2 dozers, 1 skidsteer?!? a piece of sh!t dump truck and 1 water pull!(most equip was old busted up sh!t too!) with like 30+ students in the class!?! people were just standing around waiting for equipment to use! sure we were grading too, but what a waste of money!
This other school had like 10 backhoes, 6 loaders, 4 scrapers, 3 water pulls, 4 skid steers, 3 dumps, plus you can save money! well we all learn our lesson I guess! UGGGGH!

What's the name of the school you saw for $6200 and where is it located?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ernie

85 months ago

ats is not the right school. broken equipment like 30 people per class what is that and to much money to the trash.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jose Espinal in Gretna, Louisiana

85 months ago

Rodolfo Gonzalez in Tucson, Arizona said: I am a Certified H E O, I II III. I obtained my certs on Nov of 06. I have been looking for work in Las Vegas and Arizona. Calif. What does it take to get hired. They either want a High School Diploma, or experience, how do you obtain that if no one wants to give you a chance, not even the Unions?

Yo 'g', I feel u. That's exactly what I've been going through. I'm pretty sure a lot of us who have spent our money on these training schools have been going through the same thing. All I can tell you is hang in there 'g' and keep it movin'!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rodolfo Gonzalez in Sahuarita, Arizona

85 months ago

Thank you for the advice, I finally hit on a job, great Co, with the help of God, and persistence, they pay me quite well, my Supervisor is Super, I am driving the big Machines. I had worked for them for 2 weeks back in March, and I was assistant to the mechanic, I was welding the heavy equipment, they knew that I was a Certified Heavy equipment operator. Than there were layoffs, however about 2 weeks ago they called me and offered me a job driving the big machines. I took it, I knew that somehow God would come through for me, because I had helped this Co out when they needed an experienced welder. I am on my way to the top, and believe me it was not the School that I attended. It was the man upstairs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Wes in San Diego, California

85 months ago

Anyone attend the newly opened California Construction Course, which is basicly the same school as the one in Las Vegas ? I guess it has just opened up here.
I have been interested in HEO too. But of course after reading some of the reviews, I am thinkin different about it now.
I have found other schools in Woodland, WA., Eugune, Oregon.
If anyone knows anyhting about those schools, post your thoughts. I am not planning on throwing $ away.
Has anyone used any VA benifits for this school, GI BIll, or Tuition Assistance ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brette in San Diego, California

85 months ago

Wes in San Diego, California said: Anyone attend the newly opened California Construction Course, which is basicly the same school as the one in Las Vegas ? I guess it has just opened up here.
I have been interested in HEO too. But of course after reading some of the reviews, I am thinkin different about it now.
I have found other schools in Woodland, WA., Eugune, Oregon.
If anyone knows anyhting about those schools, post your thoughts. I am not planning on throwing $ away.
Has anyone used any VA benifits for this school, GI BIll, or Tuition Assistance ?

Do not go to ATS in Vegas, or any of their schools for that matter, they su%ked, and I was told I was learning on old outdated material, the eqipment was busted up crap! I have seen schools with brand new training equip before! and A.T.S. was using equip that was up to 30 years old?!? thats old for H.E.! wrong answers on 2 of the tests (Tests were a joke, they just gave you the answer!?! what kind of learning is that!) some lame instructors, one who was drunk with students at the hotel most of them were staying! what a joke it was!
yellowmetalusa.com is crap to, NEVER anything there for me in my area, crappy site!
SO ALL FUTURE HEO HOPEFULS!! !!ATTENTION!! !!ATTENTION!!

DO NOT GO TO ATS NEVADA, OR ANY ATS SCHOOLS!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.