Getting a help desk analyst job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

How did you get your start doing help desk analyst work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

laura in Belcamp, Maryland

88 months ago

what educational background do you need to be a help desk analyst

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa Nabors in Houston, Texas

87 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing help desk analyst work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I have placed many people in Help Desk positions that have no degrees. It helps to get some certs under your belt (such as A+, MCP, Help Desk, etc.) and have some kind of a Customer Service background. The rest is getting your foot in the door with a company that provides training and plenty of ramp up time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Gaithersburg, Maryland

86 months ago

I started out as an Help Desk intern in my current company. I had about a year experience from the army, but no formal educaiton or certificaiton. The company then hired me as a full time HDA and sent me to training. 2 years later I'm a tier 2 tech with an associates degree and 3 certs under my belt. If you can find an internship with a good company, that's the best way to go if you have no experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cristyna in Mcdonough, Georgia

70 months ago

Lisa Nabors in Houston, Texas said: I have placed many people in Help Desk positions that have no degrees. It helps to get some certs under your belt (such as A+, MCP, Help Desk, etc.) and have some kind of a Customer Service background. The rest is getting your foot in the door with a company that provides training and plenty of ramp up time.

and how do you get your foot on the door in a company when there's no company out there that takes people with no experience.All they want is people with experience....do you have any advise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bob

65 months ago

Cristyna in Mcdonough, Georgia said: and how do you get your foot on the door in a company when there's no company out there that takes people with no experience.All they want is people with experience....do you have any advise?

I find that its not all about your experiance or education. It is more about the company and how you present yourself. I have learned that a lot of these types of jobs depends on your phone skills. If you are not good with tlking to people then forget about it your not going to find a job. When the interviewer calls you even to set up an interview you want to be at your best when you speak to them on the phone. If you "suck" on the phone then you are not getting the job. My current postion i am a jr helpdesk tech. I do a lot of password resets and account unlocks and i deal alot with troubleshooting. The place didnt hire me on my degree it was about how i handled myself on the phone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

allisonmwojcik in Greencastle, Indiana

48 months ago

I need some advice. I am a year and a half away from graduating with an Associates Degree in PC Support and Administration. I have book knowledge but no real hands on experience. How can I go about being looked at as a potential candidate for a job with no real experience? I love to help people and have always been a people person but even with my educational background no one is interested.

Can anyone give me some advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

wmack in Kansas City, Missouri

44 months ago

how do you get your foot on the door in a company when there's no company out there that takes people with no experience.All they want is people with experience....do you have any advise?
are know any companys

Eff Ewe Too in Portland, Oregon

41 months ago

allisonmwojcik in Greencastle, Indiana said: I need some advice. I am a year and a half away from graduating with an Associates Degree in PC Support and Administration. I have book knowledge but no real hands on experience. How can I go about being looked at as a potential candidate for a job with no real experience? I love to help people and have always been a people person but even with my educational background no one is interested.

Can anyone give me some advice?

A year and a half away from a two year degree? It seems like you have limited book knowledge and limited educational background in my opinion. As you are right now I would try to apply for a different position you are qualified for in a company you want to work for and then try to transfer departments. When you have an Associates, then you say you have an educational background. Many people do not have experience out of college, but a degree shows that you can be taught and follow through with a task. If you really do have book knowledge attain some certifications. Many people take internships or fellowships to gain experience that may be unpaid or underpaid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scott M in Georgetown, Texas

16 months ago

I'm in the same boat as some of these other folks. I'm half-way through a BS degree in information systems. I'm also 40 years old with plenty of business experience (customer care and inside sales). I have plenty of self-taught IT knowledge including hardware, networking, Linux, even some programming, but none of that counts in the business world. I'd just about kill for an entry-level position but they seem to be non-existent. Everyone on Slashdot says "get a help desk job" but looking at all the ads on Monster or Dice, they don't hire anyone with less than a year or two of experience. At this point, I'll even pay a finder's fee for a job in this field.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.