You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

bichelle riboul in Brooklyn, New York

81 months ago

i need job and angency and brooklyn any time the have i need

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Marge Slater in Jacksonville, Florida

81 months ago

Jennifer Anderson said: I am a State Tested Nurse Aide in Ohio. I currently work an agency doing in-home care. I have heard of other STNA's doing in home care without going through a company/ agency. What are the rules on doing this and what about taxes??
Jennifer you may need to have your license transferred to state if you wish to work for nursing home or hospital where you will be moving to, but as far as working in a private residence you dont need an agency to work with. You can advertise for yourself don't need license for that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

dimps4c4c in Wilmington, Delaware

61 months ago

I am currently not working.I am able to return to work next week.When I move to the State of Florida do I need to get a whole new certificatein HHa.To work in the state of Florida.How long can yoiu be out of work before your cerificate is non invoid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chvygrl65 in Toledo, Ohio

50 months ago

Jennifer Anderson said: I am a State Tested Nurse Aide in Ohio. I currently work an agency doing in-home care. I have heard of other STNA's doing in home care without going through a company/ agency. What are the rules on doing this and what about taxes??

Go to myohiohcp.org and look through the process of becoming AN INDEPENDENT PROVIDER. Thats what I am and I make way better money than I ever did working through any agency. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Miss Jane Doe 67 in Des Plaines, Illinois

47 months ago

Chvygrl65 in Toledo, Ohio said: Go to myohiohcp.org and look through the process of becoming AN INDEPENDENT PROVIDER. Thats what I am and I make way better money than I ever did working through any agency. Good luck.

Thank you so much for posting this link. Very helpful!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

evelyn in Somerset, New Jersey

43 months ago

i have not completed tha hha traing can i get a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Careful in Hamilton, Ohio

43 months ago

Chvygrl65 in Toledo, Ohio said: Go to myohiohcp.org and look through the process of becoming AN INDEPENDENT PROVIDER. Thats what I am and I make way better money than I ever did working through any agency. Good luck.

Hey that's pretty cool Chvygrl, may be a way to get paid more than $10/hr. here in Ohio. Does anyone know if there's a way to register nationally as a provider if one wants to move?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

chele in New York, New York

28 months ago

Does any know what precedures I should follow if I am Hire privately as a HHA in the state of New York?
Should I have something other than A certificate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Miss Lizzie in Somewhere

3 months ago

Just a few words of warning if you decide to go this route. You will be paid on a 1099 by the state of Ohio through Child and Family Services. You will be responsible for paying ALL of your taxes, state, federal and local. If you work in a town different from the one you reside in, you will be a slave to my dear friend RITA, meaning you will have to pay an extra tax for the town you work in. (this applies if you work for an agency or in a facility as well)If you don't understand, go here www.ritaohio.com. RITA will also try to force you to PRE PAY your yearly taxes in advance, since you are considered a freelancer, but I toss those requests in the trash and pay in April.

You will also have to pay DOUBLE Social Security tax AND double Medicaid tax. When you are working on a W2 your employer picks up half of those two taxes, but when you are a HHA working for the state of Ohio, you are paid on a 1099 so you have to pay all those lovely extra taxes. Be prepared to put away at least 300 dollars a month if you work a 40 hour week. Sucks, I know :/

You will also be subject to a yearly review, where an auditor from the state goes over your paperwork once a year. Yeah, there is paperwork. I won't go into detail, you can find out about this on the myohiohcp website. They are super nit picky, be forewarned.

Also, if you decide to become a state HHA, most of your clients will be physically disabled or mentally disabled. The sweet little old ladies and men get shoved into nursing homes. I'm lucky, I have a good client with a good family, but had I known how much stress the taxes would be, I probably wouldn't have gone this route. If I had a crappy client, I'd have gone back to the facilities, STAT. You will also lose your STNA cert after a year, unless you can find a nursing home that will let you complete the hours you need to stay current. Good luck with that, I had no luck and lost my STNA cert. :(

Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Miss Lizzie in Somewhere

3 months ago

Oh, there is also a bit of a catch 22 with getting into the Ohio Home Care Program. You will need to have a client lined up before hand.

I poached mine from a home care agency I was briefly employed by. My client was sick of the poor care she was getting through the agency and asked if I would be interested in being her independent aide. The agencies will try to scare you with a paper you have to sign when you are hired where they threaten to sue you if you go to work for one of their clients independently, but really, what can they do? Nothing, that's what.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.