Top immigration paralegal skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every immigration paralegal must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your immigration paralegal expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

A. in Dracut, Massachusetts

76 months ago

Perhaps your knowing and understanding the Immigration laws plus good writing skills, and #3 is people skills (includes personality, communication, and so on so forth...)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

75 months ago

A. in Dracut, Massachusetts said: Perhaps your knowing and understanding the Immigration laws plus good writing skills, and #3 is people skills (includes personality, communication, and so on so forth...)

Do you know if it hard to get a job in Immigration Law if you have been a Litigation Paralegal?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

L-Immigration Law in Dracut, Massachusetts

75 months ago

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware said: Do you know if it hard to get a job in Immigration Law if you have been a Litigation Paralegal?

It dedepends on the lawyer[s],...some lawyers may think that,...becuase you previously have litigation paralegal skill[s]...presumably it will not take you long to catch up with Immigration Laws...Also, it dependens on the immigration law offices specialize in a certain immigration law[s]...

Best of luck,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: It helps to be multilingual. I'd bet that around here English and Spanish-speaking immigration paralegals can just about write their own tickets.

Probably in Miami as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

L-Immigration Law in Dracut, Massachusetts said: It dedepends on the lawyer[s],...some lawyers may think that,...becuase you previously have litigation paralegal skill[s]...presumably it will not take you long to catch up with Immigration Laws...Also, it dependens on the immigration law offices specialize in a certain immigration law[s]...

Best of luck,

I agree, I depends on the lawyers. Hit or miss.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Yes, I totally agreed. If you can speak Spanish and English; it is just like getting a free ticket to a water park. In CA. Chinese, Korean, Phillipino, and Cambodian are the key languages for Immigration paralegal job...!!!

75 months ago

Yes, I totally agree. If you can speak Spanish and English; it is just like getting a free ticket to a water park. In CA. Chinese, Korean, Phillipino, and Cambodian are the key languages for Immigration paralegal job...!!!

Amber in Detroit, Michigan

71 months ago

Attention to detail is extremely important.

AlexB1972 in Wilmington, North Carolina

58 months ago

As others have mentioned, attention to detail and excellent written/oral communication skills are a must. I would add: confidentiality, intercultural understanding/communication, sense of humor, a pleasant demeanor and an awareness of domestic and international current events and affairs.

As for language fluency, I have met many people who believe themselves to be fluent but are not. Fluency should be defined as the ability to read, write and speak a language in its standard form (no dialects).

For instance, my native language is Italian and yet I had no problem finding work in the New York area because most of those who defined themselves as fluent in Italian actually spoke a dialect, not standard Italian, and their written Italian was not deemed acceptable for legal and formal correspondence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Teresa Valenzuela in Kings Beach, California

32 months ago

Hi, I need advice, I am a victim's advocate and because of that I got involve in the process of U-visa,T's Assylum and VAWA. I'm liking it so much that I believe this is what I want to do from now on. I have certificates, but no degrees. Where do I start if I want to stay in this field only? I've noticed most jobs ask for a paralegal degree or BS, is a certificate enough (I have over 5 years advocacy experience, if that helps) Please tell me what is the fastest way to enter this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.