What do you enjoy most about your Immigration Paralegal career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being an Immigration Paralegal? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Patrick in Lubbock, Texas

48 months ago

Well... I'm the only immigration law paralegal in town and there is kind of a crazy saying here about me - the best immigration lawyer in the area isn't a lawyer at all. My supervising attorney has let me run with it and I've had a blast doing it.

What do I enjoy about it? The complexity, the need for absolute precision in preparing a Petition or Application submission package, playing the game with CIS. Learning. Learning. Learning. And did I mention learning? You'll never learn it all. It is too complex.

When I joined the firm, the attorney here thought immigration law was like social security law - paper only. Not flipping hardly. It is far closer to tax law - and for many of the same reasons.

What do I dislike? Having to pull information out of clients. Second would be having to turn people away because they can't afford the legal fees - especially when I can see the fear in their eyes. That's tough for me.

Yes it is very challenging. As to advancing, start off with a firm that does business immigration and employment related visas (especially super high tech) - those advance.

I do primarily family based, E-series (business/investment), R-series (religious), and the daily things (green card renewals, applications for citizenship, etc.) Ah - most satisfying - when a client comes in with his Naturalization Certificate.

Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

jonnie estrada in san diego, California

29 months ago

patrick how did you get started in immigartion paralegal, what school do have to got to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.