Am I an underpaid Internal Auditor?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

chakiras in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

I started making 44k on my first job as a staff auditor in a medium size CPA firm in which I quit after a year.

I was then hired as a Financial Analyst in a large financial corporation making up to 54k. I quit after 1 year and 3 months.

I am currently working on the same company as above but in an internal auditor role making 57k.

After three years of experience in audit and financial analysis.....am I an underpaid individual? Salary report are usually nationwide....I work in California

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

IT Auditor in Phoenix in Phoenix, Arizona

64 months ago

Auditors with 7 + years experience are currently being offered $65,000. The current job market and economy is pulling the wages being offered down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sweet k in birmingham, Alabama

62 months ago

Hello! I was wondering how do you get a job as an auditor? Is a degree required?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dennis Harris

50 months ago

To Person who made 44k at regional firm: You must have been working in a high wage area, because in the midwest, most regional CPA firms dont pay auditors 44k a year unless they have 5 years or more experience. I have seen some of the larger/almost big 3 firms start people out at 42 but that is rare for Missouri.

I worked for a year and a half for a regional CPA firm and they started everyone out at 35 a year. so consider yourself lucky. Oh and the 7+ year remark: the firm we worked for had 150 accountants and paid 10+ year CPA veterans: 52,000 a year. so again, be lucky you get what you got there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Kissimmee, Florida

49 months ago

sweet k in birmingham, Alabama said: Hello! I was wondering how do you get a job as an auditor? Is a degree required?

If you don't know whether an auditor needs a degree or not, that means you don't know what an auditor is. First, there are two types of auditors: external auditor(CPA firm) and an internal auditor(working for one company). These jobs usually require a BS degree in accounting and depending on the size of the company or nature of the company(CPA firm), a CPA license will be required.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

chakiras in Los Angeles, California said: I started making 44k on my first job as a staff auditor in a medium size CPA firm in which I quit after a year.

I was then hired as a Financial Analyst in a large financial corporation making up to 54k. I quit after 1 year and 3 months.

I am currently working on the same company as above but in an internal auditor role making 57k.

After three years of experience in audit and financial analysis.....am I an underpaid individual? Salary report are usually nationwide....I work in California

Considering the fact that you didn't say you're a CPA, then your salary is fine. If you were only making that with a CPA license, then you're underpaid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sweet k in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

Sharon in Kissimmee, Florida said: If you don't know whether an auditor needs a degree or not, that means you don't know what an auditor is. First, there are two types of auditors: external auditor(CPA firm) and an internal auditor(working for one company). These jobs usually require a BS degree in accounting and depending on the size of the company or nature of the company(CPA firm), a CPA license will be required.

O my gosh, do you have to be such a smart ass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dennis Harris

49 months ago

CPA firms can have 2 types of auditors. Larger/big3 firms have external auditors that go out to clients.. and internal auditors that are contracted out to firms that dont/cant afford their own internal audit depts. I have never seen a CPA license required to audit at the staff level. The bigger firms may say it since there is huge demand and desire so they can push their weight around. 99% of the rest firms would "like you to pursue" it, if you get your license then all the better. Normal CPA firms hiring non/cpa's for staff positions is the most common and normal process anywhere. The CPA license is only required to actually sign off on the Audit Opinion expressed, which is a longtime federal/state law requirement.

And there are lots of reasons one would not know if a degree is needed or not: lots of these weird "auditor" named jobs so everything under the sun like night auditors and such. Some inventory auditors just walk around with a hip machine and look at retail inventory all day. To an outsider, it is easy to assume that is the same thing as a professional auditor. They are not Auditor jobs. In any sense of the word.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Dennis Harris said: CPA firms can have 2 types of auditors. Larger/big3 firms have external auditors that go out to clients.. and internal auditors that are contracted out to firms that dont/cant afford their own internal audit depts. I have never seen a CPA license required to audit at the staff level. The bigger firms may say it since there is huge demand and desire so they can push their weight around. 99% of the rest firms would "like you to pursue" it, if you get your license then all the better. Normal CPA firms hiring non/cpa's for staff positions is the most common and normal process anywhere. The CPA license is only required to actually sign off on the Audit Opinion expressed, which is a longtime federal/state law requirement.

And there are lots of reasons one would not know if a degree is needed or not: lots of these weird "auditor" named jobs so everything under the sun like night auditors and such. Some inventory auditors just walk around with a hip machine and look at retail inventory all day. To an outsider, it is easy to assume that is the same thing as a professional auditor. They are not Auditor jobs. In any sense of the word.

I know there are different types of "auditors", especially since many years back I was a night auditor. I didn't go into all that because the original topic of this board was Internal Auditor so that's what my posts are based on.

Many large corporations require their IAs to have their CPA license because it does cut back on the applicant pool and it also shows some kind of example of your competence. Although, the CPA license just shows you studied enough for the test to pass. I have two more sections to take of the exam.

For the most part, I do agree with what you've said though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dennis Harris

49 months ago

Im done ranting for now. Next question!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Guest in Mumbai, India

32 months ago

You are being paid very dearly. In Asian countries auditors with three years of experience are paid 10,000 USD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.