LPN to RN study group NJ excelsior college

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1469)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Ashley in Jacksonville, Florida

86 months ago

Hello Bill,
I'm getting ready to graduate from LPN school in a few weeks... thinking about excelsior college, but haven't heard any good things about that program. Just wondering your opinion. My email address is bridget 21_8@hotmail.com please tell me what you think

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

bill nunoz in wiliamstown, New Jersey

86 months ago

Bridget,
I took one excelsior exam (nursing concepts 1) about two years ago and passed it easy. It just took me a long time to make study notes and it was very boring doing it by myself. I stopped doing excelsior college out of bordem. I recently decided to go back to college. Every college I went to (community colleges and Rutgers) had to many requirements and courses to take before taken the LPN to RN course. It seemed I would be taken college courses for about 1.5-2 years before taken the LPN to RN course. Excelsior was easy to get in.
I live in Williamstown but I also have a apartment in Jersey City. I work as an agency nurse so I travel
all over New Jersey. If your interested in the study group let me know. Also, if you find a nursing school that is easy to get into, offer part time course, doesn't charge over 25,000K, and doesn't take so long to complete (3-4 years is to long for me). LPN course was great because it only took me a year and a half.
It seems like these colleges say LPN to RN transition but the course is as long as starting from the beginning. Also, excelsior cost about 7000k to complete. The cheapest RN to LPN course i found was Trinitas in Elizabeth which cost $20,000K if you pass all the courses one time.

Bill

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

debbie in Spring Hill, Florida

86 months ago

I have researched Excelsior but still have doubts since I have never met anyone who has completed the program. If anyone has even started the program would email me I am interested in getting more info about test, study time, and whether or not the program is feasible. It kinda sounds too good to be true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tanya in New Port Richey, Florida

86 months ago

I'm pushing myself to do Excelsior. I am currently studying for NC 1 and as an LPN, we automatically get to skip NC 2... once I pass NC 1, I will be applying to EC (to hopefully save some money). I don't have much of a choice because of my responsibilities at home- after the lpn-rn is done, I'll be going back for rn-msn. I too need encouragement and the CPNE exam is the only thing that scares me. I know I'm not in NJ but we can form a group online right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

rose in Brooklyn, New York

86 months ago

bill nunoz in wiliamstown, New Jersey said: I'm a 32yo male nurse looking to form a study group. Would like to enroll in excelsior college with a group of 3-4 LPN's. I just dont think ill be able to do the course by myself. I need some motivation from others. If this sounds good to you contact me. Im in New Jersey.

Hello Bill,

I am very interested. I will be taken the PN ny state board and look forward to starting the rn excelsior program rn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Tanya in New Port Richey, Florida said: I'm pushing myself to do Excelsior. I am currently studying for NC 1 and as an LPN, we automatically get to skip NC 2... once I pass NC 1, I will be applying to EC (to hopefully save some money). I don't have much of a choice because of my responsibilities at home- after the lpn-rn is done, I'll be going back for rn-msn. I too need encouragement and the CPNE exam is the only thing that scares me. I know I'm not in NJ but we can form a group online right?

I wish you the best of luck with Excelsior and i hope you do well. Im kinda looking for a live (in person type) study group as if we were in college still. You know like study in group, share notes, motivate each other, and etc etc... Its hard to study NURSING around people who have nothing in common with you. Your walking around with all this knowledge in your head and no one to talk to. It would be nice to study Fluids and Electrolytes. than be able to talk about the subject with someone else who can understand and continue the
conversation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rose in Brooklyn, New York

86 months ago

Bill,

Thanks for the invitation. Have you applied to Excelsior? Upon starting the RN program, where would the group meet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

debbie in Spring Hill, Florida

86 months ago

does anyone know how long the waiting list is for the cpne right now? i heard eleven months... could that be right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

angel in Germantown, Ohio

85 months ago

Hello all found this site by I don't know how. I am most definitely not a recruiter. Just a mom to a couple of kids, and also an LPN for 3 years now. I have all the books from the college network to do the LPN to RN thing on line. I got them all given to me by a former recruiter who was leaving the job, and said "he wanted them to go to someone who would really use them and do something with them" man do I feel like a s_ _ _! Cause here I set still trying to figure out if I can do this online with Excelsior. I am not even sure how to start. I know that you can test out of some classes but I gues I just need to contact Excelsior directly to see what steps I need to take to get started. Just wanted to add my two cents worth. Good luck to all of you, I know in my state there are soooooo many nursing jobs open, and the shortage is crazy. I am certified IV with CCU experience, and ACLS training, but because I do not have an R behind my name I can get a job at any of the many hospital jobs in my town. They all have to be RN, which to me is really sad. I feel very confident in my skills as an LPN, and know dam well that I am a good nurse, better then some of the RN's I have worked under. But you have to have that RN to really do anything, and make any money in the town that I live. Any ways enough complaining Happy Studing and Happy Holidays to all. ME.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rose in Brooklyn, New York

85 months ago

Bonjour Marie,

All info regarding Excelsior can be found on the internet. They also have a team of customer service that are available to answer all questions. Excelsoir is located in New York state. Please note that courses are held at their location and on the internet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Modesto, California

85 months ago

I have some practice tests and study notes posted on my website. You can click on discussion and try to join the group on yahoo. Once I approve your membership, you can go to files and print out practice tests and study notes.
www.cheducation.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ashley in Tempe, Arizona

85 months ago

Hi I am studying for nursing concepts 1 as well I wanted to know if the practice exam that excelsior offers if hopeful???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

im not sure what you are saying. If your asking how long did it take to get the RESULTS of the test? if this is your question the ANS is as soon as your done with the test. You take the test than the computer tells you that the test is done just like the NCLEX. However, once you open the door you get a print out of the results handed to you. Instant gratification.

85 months ago

Excelsior tests are $60 each and many students say that they are really helpful. When I was going through the program, there were no practice tests available. On my website www.cheducation.com you can access study notes and practice tests and print them out and there is no charge. You can simply go to the website and click on discussion and click on join and go through the steps. Once I allow you to the add the group, you can access files on the left and print out the study notes.

Tina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mieko in Texas City, Texas

84 months ago

Does anyone know what the wait time is for the CPNE after completing all the Nursing Concepts test? I hear that there is like a 1 year waiting period just to get a test date. Trying to weight my options

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

THe wait time for the CPNE is 6-9 months. But you can usually get a cancellation date if you are willing ot be more flexible where you test. You can request a cancellation date once you have turned your application in and get a date. You can check out my website www.cheducation.com for more info on the CPNE.

Goooooooood luck to you in getting a date.

AZIZA in Cleveland, Ohio

84 months ago

I am using the College Network modules to complete Indiana State University LPN-BSN program. Does anyone want to join a study group I am complete Public Speaking. Any tips!!! My email is apilispencer@hotamil.com. Please no trash mail!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

christine welden in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

84 months ago

me and a friend have decided to study the college network but of course are having a hard time getting motivated would love to hear from someone in okla who has completed the course and taken the rn exam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

karenthelpn@aol.com

84 months ago

bill nunoz in wiliamstown, New Jersey said: I'm a 32yo male nurse looking to form a study group. Would like to enroll in excelsior college with a group of 3-4 LPN's. I just dont think ill be able to do the course by myself. I need some motivation from others. If this sounds good to you contact me. Im in New Jersey.

I am starting excelsior this month...I am an LPn since 2001...how is the program going for you?? We have 4 hour tutor classes from RUE here is FLA i will start to attend and then we go take the exams...I need some of your feedback of how it is...

Karen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

karenthelpn@aol.com

84 months ago

I am in Sunrise....have you started the program already??? I am about to start. I would love to have someone to study with. Are you doing it with the 4 hour tutor class programs?? What area are you in?? Are you working also? I am starting a 3-11 job soon.

Karen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

karenthelpn@aol.com

84 months ago

Will in Hollywood, Florida said: Hi Ashley,
I completed my RN program with Excelsior last year. Just be aware that there are certain states that have restrictions on Excelsior graduates. I just came back from a vacation in California and I liked it there very much but I can not obtain a California RN license becuase I enrolled with Excelsior after Dec 06, 2003 deadline. I applied for one but was denied. I had no problem here in Florida becuase I had a LPN license. My advice to you, is to attend a traditional nursing program. It may not be an option for a lot of people but if you can than stick with the traditional way. I didn't becuase I had no plans of moving out of Florida, especially to CA. And now I deeply regret it.

How long did it take for you to finish the program?? Was it hard or easy? I am starting and rally want to get done as quickly as possible!! Karen

Chasity R in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

84 months ago

Hi Karen,

I am in the Sunrise area as well. Near the new Ikea. Are you doing the program through The College Network? My email address is chasitylynn77@yahoo.com :)

Ginger D in Needham Heights, Massachusetts

84 months ago

bill nunoz in wiliamstown, New Jersey said: you sound like a head hunter for excelsior. i was enrolled in excelsior a few years ago but never renewed since i lost motivation after doing Concepts one. I heard that Concepts 1 and 2 are not needed for ythe RN program anymore. im sure there are better ways to get students. It seems that about 90% all people who contact me are recruiters. scary!!!!

hey bill I am from MA. I wish you lived closer as I amlooking for the exact motivation that you describe ginger

Brenda in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

I am about to start Excelsior and would love to be a part of a study group in Houston. I bought the textbooks and together we could do this! b1pierre@aol.com

mieko in Texas City, Texas

84 months ago

i live close to houston and i'm in the excelsior program now. We can get together to study.

karenthelpn@aol.com

84 months ago

How is the Program going??i am going to start....in Florida...have you finished any tests??

Mieko in Texas City, Texas

84 months ago

I made a C on NC1 w/out studying the right material. I didn't pass NC3. I made a D. I studied for about 3 weeks and scheduled my test 4 weeks later. I didn't do any studying during the 4 weeks. I had a lot going on at home. But, I'm back studying for NC3. It's really not hard. It's doable

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Victoria in Nashville, Tennessee

84 months ago

pam komoroski in Morgan City, Louisiana said: I am really interested in LPN to RN program...everything seems so expensive. I have been an LPN 7 yrs and I am 46 years old. Does anyone have any advice? thanks...

Hi, I'm the big 50, and have been an LPN since 1982. I have not worked in 10years, I have stayed home with my girls and have the last one in college now.
I started the Excelsior program Oct.2006,and finished Nov. 2007. I'm currently waiting to take my CPNE and I will be finished.
I highly rec. the program. I actually used The College Network, but found once I started with the nursing concepts, that their study books were not enough. I used the Excelsior books and study guides and did just fine.
I would rec. this to all LPN's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No Reply - Report abuse

karenthelpn@aol.com

84 months ago

There is a new tutor program with Career learning centers in ft lauderdale fla that I am checking into...they tutor you 4 hours a week to get thru each excelsior test quickly so you finish and are not alone doing it. Where did you get the excelsior books? i have the College Network books from 7 yrs ago paid for. I want to get thru the program and be an RN asap! Any advice is very much appreciated.

Karenthelpn@aol.com

Victoria in Nashville, Tennessee

84 months ago

karenthelpn@aol.com said: There is a new tutor program with Career learning centers in ft lauderdale fla that I am checking into...they tutor you 4 hours a week to get thru each excelsior test quickly so you finish and are not alone doing it. Where did you get the excelsior books? i have the College Network books from 7 yrs ago paid for. I want to get thru the program and be an RN asap! Any advice is very much appreciated.

Karenthelpn@aol.com

Hi,
If you request the EC study guide for each concepts, it will tell you which book and which chapters the test questions will be coming from. I found the actual reading of the med- surg book etc, was much clearer than the TCN material. Even though I paid for everything with TCN I ended up buying about 5 other book from EC, and I feel well worth it. I found with the additional books, I usually made an A on exams, and at first when I used only TCN no matter how much I studied, I could only make a B, but of course that is me. We all learn in differeny ways. The only complainent I have with EC is the LONG wait to take the CPNE. TCN did not inform me that even if I get through allm the courses as I did in 1 year, you have to wait 6-9 months to take the CPNE and only after that can you take state boards. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Wentzville, Missouri

84 months ago

I have taken 5 exams with EC so far--I should be done withthem all by August!
I went to EBAY and bought Lisa Arends study notes on 2 of them so far--A&P, MIcro--and they are very helpful! I am available for help if you want to email me at mrs_peterson_lpn@yahoo.com

Print the course content guides off the EC site--that helps you to see how much % wise each section will be on the final test.

Good Luck

I highly recommend EC !

seniorlpn in Port Charlotte, Florida

84 months ago

Hi, I started with TCN 8/07 and I am still trying to prepare myself for the Ethics exam. Would like to be apart of an active study group within my area via e-mail. Contact me at edebellis2@yahoo.com.

Brenda in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

mieko in Texas City, Texas said: i live close to houston and i'm in the excelsior program now. We can get together to study.

That would be great Mieko. What course are you on now? I am just getting into NC 1. Please email me at b1pierre@aol.com

Kim in Lincoln Park, New Jersey

84 months ago

Tanya in New Port Richey, Florida said: I'm pushing myself to do Excelsior. I am currently studying for NC 1 and as an LPN, we automatically get to skip NC 2... once I pass NC 1, I will be applying to EC (to hopefully save some money). I don't have much of a choice because of my responsibilities at home- after the lpn-rn is done, I'll be going back for rn-msn. I too need encouragement and the CPNE exam is the only thing that scares me. I know I'm not in NJ but we can form a group online right?

Hi Tanya- I am trying desperately to complete the Excelsior program- I do know one person who did it and passed. I must say that I find it very difficukt to know what to study. I took the NUR1 exam yesterday and failed it- mostly the meds part. I never really studied the pharmacology part except for calculations, and that is what did me in- It would be great to have a study partner anywhere! I work full time, am a single Mom, run a house, etc. So my studying has to be mapped out carefully- which I have not done as well as I had hoped. Let me know if you want to meet online to study- maybe we can break down the different parts and help each other. Good Luck! Kim

84 months ago

Will in Hollywood, Florida said: Hi Ashley,
I completed my RN program with Excelsior last year. Just be aware that there are certain states that have restrictions on Excelsior graduates. I just came back from a vacation in California and I liked it there very much but I can not obtain a California RN license becuase I enrolled with Excelsior after Dec 06, 2003 deadline. I applied for one but was denied. I had no problem here in Florida becuase I had a LPN license. My advice to you, is to attend a traditional nursing program. It may not be an option for a lot of people but if you can than stick with the traditional way. I didn't becuase I had no plans of moving out of Florida, especially to CA. And now I deeply regret it.

Hi Will, I did not know that states did not accept Excelsior, why is that? Isn't an RN, an RN?

84 months ago

bill nunoz in wiliamstown, New Jersey said: i had taken concepts one a few years ago and it wasn't hard at all. I dont think concepts I has to be taken anymore. Its not required by excelsior in the RN program anymore. I did not take the practice test for concepts one. I think you dont have to take concepts I. I might be wrong but that what i was told. Right know im just looking into local community colleges. Not having an easy time finding study partners.

Hi Bill- Yes, you do still have to take NUR1 as I did yesterday and failed it (meds did me in) I have been a nurse for a long time, and still think having to explain the nursing process is stupid- I just do it, cannot explain it. Are you moving forward with Excelsior? Someone down the line said that it is not accepted in all states, had you heard that?

karenthelpn@aol.com

84 months ago

Do you still have the study materials you used with Excelsior?? How long did it take for you to complete the excelsior program? I have no plans to move out of FLA...I feel excelsior is my only option as I have a new baby and am going back to work and can't go to RN school fulltime. I am scared to start the program but hope it is not too hard for me to accomplish it. Where did you get your study materials?? How was the clinical exam?? What did they have you do?? Please...share your experiences...where do you work now???

C.B in Palm Coast, Florida

84 months ago

Victoria in Nashville, Tennessee said: Hi, I'm the big 50, and have been an LPN since 1982. I have not worked in 10years, I have stayed home with my girls and have the last one in college now.
I started the Excelsior program Oct.2006,and finished Nov. 2007. I'm currently waiting to take my CPNE and I will be finished.
I highly rec. the program. I actually used The College Network, but found once I started with the nursing concepts, that their study books were not enough. I used the Excelsior books and study guides and did just fine.
I would rec. this to all LPN's.

WHAT WAS MISSING FROM CN BOOKS? DIFFRENCE?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bill in Jersey City, New Jersey

83 months ago

Kim in Lincoln Park, New Jersey said: Hi Bill- Yes, you do still have to take NUR1 as I did yesterday and failed it (meds did me in) I have been a nurse for a long time, and still think having to explain the nursing process is stupid- I just do it, cannot explain it. Are you moving forward with Excelsior? Someone down the line said that it is not accepted in all states, had you heard that?

Hey,
I just started nursing at a county college. Im a single parent also but the excelsior think was not for me. I moved back up to north jersey and started school at UCCC. It was easy to get into union county college comapred to other colleges. if you would like to contact me direct feel free at vivoojo at comcast dot net.
good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Amber in Wentzville, Missouri said: I have taken 5 exams with EC so far--I should be done withthem all by August!
I went to EBAY and bought Lisa Arends study notes on 2 of them so far--A&P, MIcro--and they are very helpful! I am available for help if you want to email me at mrs_peterson_lpn@yahoo.com

Print the course content guides off the EC site--that helps you to see how much % wise each section will be on the final test.

Good Luck

I highly recommend EC !

You are one of the first positive things I have heard about EC. I just took the NUR1 exam and failed it- meds did me in- so now I know what I need to study so that I can retake the test. Any other suggestions for studying for that? I have worked in Peds for so long now, I forget the "older" people stuff I guess LOL. Good luck on the remainder of your tests- if you do want to discuss anything, my reg email is kmalanga84@hotmail.com- any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Kim

Eric B. in Columbus, Ohio

83 months ago

I am currently waiting for my CPNE test date, which currently takes 4 months or so. The test itself may be up to 5 months after I get the date. Ugh. Plus they expect you to pay the $1700 dollars for the test before they even start working on a date for you. They claim that they are working on reducing the wait, but nothing has changed in the last 6 months.

It took me about 1 to 2 months to finish each nursing concepts class. The only one I failed was concepts 7, and that is only because I didn't study nearly as much as I should have. Purchase the practice tests for $70 and they should give you a good overview of what you are weak on. When you take the actual test, you will know your results within minutes of finishing.

Suggestions if you decide to go with Excelsior-
-Don't expect to get done very quickly, especially since there is a huge waiting list for the CPNE.
-There are many fees associated with the college. Enrollment, Graduation, a $500 yearly "maintenance" fee, etc. Make sure you know what you are getting in to.
-Use the CPNE prep class. It is expensive, but better than failing and being set behind more than half a year and $1700.
-Use the online practice tests. They are a big help.
-Look over your study material until you feel comfortable. I usually read everything 3 times in a row and then focused on stuff that I felt weak on.
-Set behind an hour or two every day to study and stick with it, otherwise you will take years and years to finish this program.
-Remember that this program is not impossible but requires a great deal of self motivation and prep. work.
-Do not take this program if you do not have the motivation to do it and are not willing to accept possible setbacks. You will fall behind +3 months per failure of a concepts class and +5-9 months for a failed CPNE, not to mention lots of money.

I did this program without a study group, although I did take 3 quarters of a traditional nursing school before this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

karenthelpn@aol.com

83 months ago

where can I get the practive tests? and the study materials needed??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Thanks for the input Eric- you are right, I did not feel comfortable and did not do as well as I would have liked on the practice exam and should have cancelled the exam- but I did not, so it did set me back 2 months. Good luck on your CPNE whenever you get to take it. I also attended a traditional nursing school, but unfortunately it was 30 years ago! Keep in touch and let us all know how you are doing!
Kim

eunice in Pensacola, Florida

83 months ago

AZIZA in Cleveland, Ohio said: I am using the College Network modules to complete Indiana State University LPN-BSN program. Does anyone want to join a study group I am complete Public Speaking. Any tips!!! My email is apilispencer@hotamil.com. Please no trash mail!!!

Hi,Aliza my name is Eunice, I am also using the the College Network modules, would like your input on the modules,and join a study group.

83 months ago

christine welden in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: me and a friend have decided to study the college network but of course are having a hard time getting motivated would love to hear from someone in okla who has completed the course and taken the rn exam

Hi,my name is eunice. Would like to know if you have heard from anyone who have finished the college network modules.

83 months ago

christine welden in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: me and a friend have decided to study the college network but of course are having a hard time getting motivated would love to hear from someone in okla who has completed the course and taken the rn exam

Hi,my name is eunice. Would like to know if you have heard from anyone who have finished the college network modules.

83 months ago

karenthelpn@aol.com said: I am starting excelsior this month...I am an LPn since 2001...how is the program going for you?? We have 4 hour tutor classes from RUE here is FLA i will start to attend and then we go take the exams...I need some of your feedback of how it is...

Karen

Hi, Karen. Iam taking classes through college network, would like your input on excelsior coures and the college. Thanks! eunice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

karenthelpn@aol.com said: How long did it take for you to finish the program?? Was it hard or easy? I am starting and rally want to get done as quickly as possible!! Karen

Karen, did you get any info on how long it took to finish the program, and if it was hard or easy.

83 months ago

karenthelpn@aol.com said: How long did it take for you to finish the program?? Was it hard or easy? I am starting and rally want to get done as quickly as possible!! Karen

Karen, did you get any info on how long it took to finish the program, and if it was hard or easy.

83 months ago

karenthelpn@aol.com said: I am starting excelsior this month...I am an LPn since 2001...how is the program going for you?? We have 4 hour tutor classes from RUE here is FLA i will start to attend and then we go take the exams...I need some of your feedback of how it is...

Karen

Karen how is the program going for you. Iam seeking info on the college before starting. thanks eunice

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.