Starting out as a LPN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 485)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Amy

88 months ago

Hello everyone, I just graduated nursing school in March and am awaiting to take my boards but my concern is that there are not as many LPN positions available as our instructors kept telling us there was and I don't forsee it being easy to attain a job in the field. Can anyone give me some valuable advise.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (118) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

kelly in Eaton, Ohio

88 months ago

I have 4 words for you - GO FOR YOUR RN!!!!! LPNs are being fazed out in Ohio and are being replaced by $13/hr. medical assistants. Also, if you work in a hospital you'll end up doing the RNS work and getting 1/3 of the pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

anna in Port Orange, Florida

88 months ago

As a seasoned LPN I am currently working under a contract at a small community 113 bed hospital.The paid rate is $30.00 per hr and at the end of 13 weeks if you don't call off they(the hospital ) pay a bonus of $5.00 for every hr. worked during the 13 wk. period. I have worked agency, float pool in house, private duty, nursing homes, icu, pcu,ortho, blah blah blah. Anyway my point is ...go everyplace you can. Each new area strengthens your skills and makes you more valuable to your patients and employers And it gives you a true sense of title vs knowledge . I work three 12 hr shifts a week= $2,160 every 2 wks plus a bonus of a minimum of $2,340 every 13 weeks. Or I could take a float pool position with them for $26.00 per hr and be part of their staff and still make more or at least as muck as a R.N. --get your A.C.L.S. and that also helps to get icu positions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (158) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Sandi Correia LPN in Hollywood, Florida

87 months ago

Anna,
Go for your RN anyway. but in Florida LPNs are NOT being fazed out as a matter of a fact, more hospitals are going back to hiring LPNs. Especially here in South Florida.
But in the meantime, apply for a hospital position if you can, take anything they will offer you, even nights...if that does not pan out apply at a Nursing Home/Rehab hospital...they are more skilled now that the insurance companies are forcing hospitals to release patients sicker..and less able to be alone...they are not the "old people's home" that they were 20 yrs ago.
Also, consider prison nursing...I know...you are thinking that is something you could not do...I did it...and actually it gives the LPN alot more autonomy than any other place and you see alot of different illnesses...
Do not worry, there are alot of jobs out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Sandi Correia LPN in Hollywood, Florida

87 months ago

kelly in Eaton, Ohio said: I have 4 words for you - GO FOR YOUR RN!!!!! LPNs are being fazed out in Ohio and are being replaced by $13/hr. medical assistants. Also, if you work in a hospital you'll end up doing the RNS work and getting 1/3 of the pay.

MA's even when trained in a school, do not have the clinical training in the same areas of patient care that LPNs have...they are trained to attend the patient in the office setting, on a short term...an office visit.....LPNs are trained for bedside nursing as well as the OR, the RR, the ER, and all the places in between. There is no way a MA could replace an LPN in the hospital and/or Long Term Setting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

LC in Jewell, Ohio

87 months ago

Guide

Sandi Correia LPN in Hollywood, Florida said: MA's even when trained in a school, do not have the clinical training in the same areas of patient care that LPNs have...they are trained to attend the patient in the office setting, on a short term...an office visit.....LPNs are trained for bedside nursing as well as the OR, the RR, the ER, and all the places in between. There is no way a MA could replace an LPN in the hospital and/or Long Term Setting.

This is true. Most MA programs will skim over in the teaching of important tasks such as O2 administration,starting an IV or catheter,the contents of a crash cart,etc. That's because MAs don't ever deal with those situations like all nurses do. LPNs are NOT being "phased out",it's just a line used (for over 20 years) to snare more and more into the hundreds of MA schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bryan in Laurel, Maryland

87 months ago

Amy said: Hello everyone, I just graduated nursing school in March and am awaiting to take my boards but my concern is that there are not as many LPN positions available as our instructors kept telling us there was and I don't forsee it being easy to attain a job in the field. Can anyone give me some valuable advise.

Thanks

Where are you located?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

hormah in Columbus, Ohio

86 months ago

I also graduated from an expensive Private LPN school, and I've been looking everywhere for a job, in columbus I think its hard to find an LPN job these and I have filled out close to twenty applications and I am at my wits's end, my school loan is huge and the prospect are not looking good in columbus. If you are capable go back to school for an RN, I think its the best since the nursing homes are filling LPN positions with RN's. This is frustrating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

86 months ago

Sandi Correia LPN in Hollywood, Florida said: Anna,
Go for your RN anyway. but in Florida LPNs are NOT being fazed out as a matter of a fact, more hospitals are going back to hiring LPNs. Especially here in South Florida.
But in the meantime, apply for a hospital position if you can, take anything they will offer you, even nights...if that does not pan out apply at a Nursing Home/Rehab hospital...they are more skilled now that the insurance companies are forcing hospitals to release patients sicker..and less able to be alone...they are not the "old people's home" that they were 20 yrs ago.
Also, consider prison nursing...I know...you are thinking that is something you could not do...I did it...and actually it gives the LPN alot more autonomy than any other place and you see alot of different illnesses...
Do not worry, there are alot of jobs out there.

What school do you suggest to get your LPN in South Florida?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nurse Betty in Evansville, Indiana

86 months ago

I am an LPN in southern Indiana, and the job choices stink. It is either go back to what I made fresh out almost 15 years ago to work in an MD/clinic environment or stick with long term care. I am done with nursing, it is such a joke. In 1993 when I got my license it was awful and now with Medicare part D it is worse. There are so many healthcare jobs out there, this field can not be outsourced...I am sticking with healthcare but detouring out of nursing. Insurance/Medicare/Medicaid pay back is so low about 15%, what do you think will happen to wages? My brother is a MD and his contract renewal was a 10% pay cut to make up for this. Nurses are next on the food chain. If you are smart, take something to compliment nursing, computers for data entry or a certificate to make yourself a must have. LPN's are utilized less and less, all I see here is long term care. CMA's are perferred, they get a different education, for clinics and MD offices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

STEFANIE L. SILVA, LPN

85 months ago

anna in Port Orange, Florida said: As a seasoned LPN I am currently working under a contract at a small community 113 bed hospital.The paid rate is $30.00 per hr and at the end of 13 weeks if you don't call off they(the hospital ) pay a bonus of $5.00 for every hr. worked during the 13 wk. period. I have worked agency, float pool in house, private duty, nursing homes, icu, pcu,ortho, blah blah blah. Anyway my point is ...go everyplace you can. Each new area strengthens your skills and makes you more valuable to your patients and employers And it gives you a true sense of title vs knowledge . I work three 12 hr shifts a week= $2,160 every 2 wks plus a bonus of a minimum of $2,340 every 13 weeks. Or I could take a float pool position with them for $26.00 per hr and be part of their staff and still make more or at least as muck as a R.N. --get your A.C.L.S. and that also helps to get icu positions

I would think also phlebotomy courses and IV certification, don't you? You are lucky, down south seems the place to be/go pay wise and employment opportunities, there sure isn't much in the Northeast!.Bravo and good for you!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Diana in Marengo, Ohio

84 months ago

Sam in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: What school do you suggest to get your LPN in South Florida?

Diana from Ohio. I amattending LPN clinicals in at a nursing school in Ohio and have the opportunity to move to southern Florida when I graduate and test. My question is, when I get to Florida will I have to attend even more schooling or just be certified in specific areas of practice, how do I do that? Please let me know, anyone?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Karri in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

83 months ago

Stick with your LPN, after all you did spend the money on the education. I am a Supervisor of Medical Group Operations for a clinic in Southeast Wisconsin. I am also a LPN. I can tell you that here the trend is actually phasing out the RN's and replacing them with LPN's. Quite the opposite of what you are hearing in this forum. Clinics do not need RN's anymore. Our clinics are are going with support teams consisting of 1 LPN and 1 MA for each physician practice. This is a wide spread trend seen across the midwest. There are hundreds of job listings for LPN's in this area for all specialties ranging from home health, long term care to hospital to clinics. I wish you the best on your job search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Raylynn in Springfield, Missouri

83 months ago

i am thinking of pursuing the educational requirements to become an LPN. Does any one have suggestions for a good company to work for which would offer tuition assistance programs in the Home Health Aide industry and also offer opportunities to learn?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Samantha in Springboro, Ohio

81 months ago

I am in LPN school right now and let me tell you that i have talked to lots and lots of nurses and LPN's in my area can make 18-20 dollar's an hour starting out. There are two local hospitals that are looking for LPN's and one of them will even higher you and pay for your LPN-RN program.. Home health care is also a great place to work around here. You can make your own hours and forget working holidays unless there is an emergency and that only requires you to make sure your patient makes it to the hospital. I think it is awful that people keep saying they are going to phase out LPN's. LPN's are wonderful for the medical field they spend a lot more time with the patients then anyone else because they aren't stretched as far. Besides the aides because lets face it if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have jobs because we would all be in trouble for neglect. Anyways stop knocking down other types of nurses or aides or MA's we are all here to take care of the patient and nobody is better then anyone. And as nurses you should all know that and you should be ashamed of yourself for downing other people. You should know how bad that feels. We get it from doctors everyday we don't need it from our own group of people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Its all Good in Austell, Georgia

80 months ago

I am a LPN. I don't wipe booties. Although, I would do it if it would help someone,heck I might need my booty wiped someday. I make more than $16.00 a hour.

There are many goverment positions available for LPN's(with benefits) that are not just limited to Nursing Homes. My job is very laid back,zero stress, and I have my own office. Actually, I just recently re-entered back into nursing after 10yrs a year ago. So experience is not the factor here.

My point is, there are a variety of opportunities out there for LPN's, one just has to be efficient in their job search efforts. There are a lot of Medical Assistants, without associate degrees;however, there are many LPNs with Associate Degrees. A Medical Assistant would not have been eligible to apply for my current positon. Although, I would have to agree with you, that many Dr.'s offices prefer Medical Assistants. Its strictly a money issue, as to the reason they prefer. Please understand, I am by no means belittling or taking away from a Medical Assistant. I believe that there is a place for ALL of us in the Healthcare Industry. Everyone just needs to be properly informed, and have a full knowledge as to what opportunities are available to their particular role of Nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Pamela in Richmond Hill, Ontario

80 months ago

Amy said: Hello everyone, I just graduated nursing school in March and am awaiting to take my boards but my concern is that there are not as many LPN positions available as our instructors kept telling us there was and I don't forsee it being easy to attain a job in the field. Can anyone give me some valuable advise.

Thanks

It depends on were you live. For example I am a registered practical nurse with an associates diploma or in Canada we call it diploma and there are alot of jobs for us in Ontario, however, there are tons more for RN'S with Bacc. degrees. I am looking for a good universty that will allow me to get my degree as fast as possible with the flexibility I need to maintain my family life and work. I am not sure if the states is a good idea since I live in Canada. The nursing program is harder here from what I heard and wonder if the degree from an on-line university would be worth the money and effort unless I was enrolled in famous university.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Thanks

P.S. My advice is to start out in the BS Nursing Program. If you think about it as the brindging programs and extra courses you will have to take to get your bacc. will be equal to the time it will take you to be a LPN-BSN. It will cost you more as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lori in Queens Village, New York

80 months ago

Samantha in Springboro, Ohio said: I am in LPN school right now and let me tell you that i have talked to lots and lots of nurses and LPN's in my area can make 18-20 dollar's an hour starting out. There are two local hospitals that are looking for LPN's and one of them will even higher you and pay for your LPN-RN program.. Home health care is also a great place to work around here. You can make your own hours and forget working holidays unless there is an emergency and that only requires you to make sure your patient makes it to the hospital. I think it is awful that people keep saying they are going to phase out LPN's. LPN's are wonderful for the medical field they spend a lot more time with the patients then anyone else because they aren't stretched as far. Besides the aides because lets face it if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have jobs because we would all be in trouble for neglect. Anyways stop knocking down other types of nurses or aides or MA's we are all here to take care of the patient and nobody is better then anyone. And as nurses you should all know that and you should be ashamed of yourself for downing other people. You should know how bad that feels. We get it from doctors everyday we don't need it from our own group of people.

I am happy to see someone is trying to put an end to this dissing of each other... alot of people have no choice but to become cna's and then lpn's to become better rn's.. so can we all stop bashing each other and just help each other to the next step

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

You are absolutely right, this profession is stressful. I have 102 patients to give meds to. I'm in charge of everyone on my unit. You definately have to be tough and organized as well as be a manager on your floor, and do this with a smile each day. I found that respecting other health care staff on your unit made management alot easier when I first started out. When staff realize that you are a good nurse they will respect you. As a student or new grad. you need to handle yourself with confidence. Don't second guess yourself. If you have the time to help others they will help you. I have learned to not take work home and that has helped me to combat stress. Learn to seperate work from your personal life. Realize that eveyone in their respectful positions in the hospital are stressed at some level, and sometimes they my take it out on you. Try not to take things so personal and try to understand where people are coming from. If your too sensitive and can't handle it when someone says or does someting you don't like, nursing is not for you. Nurses are leaders and the unit is not a place to cry, that's what we have family and friends for. So many times I've seen staff and nursing student crying on my unit. My advice is know your stuff, and yourself and people won't be able to break you. I've worked as a perceptor for students and found that when they did not have enough knowledge they became nervous when for example I told them to suction a trach. client . I have no problem showing a student how to so a procedure, but don't say you can do something when you can't and put my client at risk. Even as staff you have to be accountable and ask if you don't know something. No one will think bad of you. They will respect you more. That's my advice. Be honest if you make errors don't try to hide it. As a LPN you YOU NEED TO KNOW YOUR MEDS. AND YOUR HEAD TO TOE ASSESSMENTS SO THAT YOU CAN RECOGNIZE POTENTIAL PROBLEMS. VERY IMPORTANT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Thanks

My advice is to concentrate on studying for your board exam. Study your practical SKILLS. Things that you will be doing if you were in the hospital without your teacher holding your hand. Ethical decisions. When you get your license then think about positions available. Don't let anything or anyone discourage you from passing your exams. Cross that bridge when you when you get there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

MaryAnn in Fort Walton Beach, Florida

80 months ago

I agree with the above advice. You can't worry about getting a job as a nurse until you are a nurse. LPN/LVN jobs are a dime a dozen but finding one that pays well, now that might be another story but they are there and don't let anyone tell you they are not. Once you become a nurse I suggest getting about a year of experience under your belt and then if you need to make money look at going agency, they are always hiring. Anyway, for now just study the rest will come, have faith. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hasie in Oak Creek, Wisconsin

80 months ago

THE UNIVERSITY OF LPN'S WWW.SOUTH UNIVERSITY.COM I AM LOOKING TO START AN LPN TOO SO THAT I KNOW THIS IS VERY IMMPORTANT TO ME AND IT WOULD BE TO YOU TO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

LPN to RN | LPN to BSN in Bothell, Washington

80 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sandi in Hollywood, Florida

78 months ago

Sam in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: What school do you suggest to get your LPN in South Florida?

I went to Sheridan Voc-Tech in Hollywood...there are also McFatter Voc-Tech in Davie and Atlantic voc-tech in Fort Lauderdale. There is Lindsey Hopkins, Mercy Hospital LPN program, and Miami Dade Comm. college LPN programs in Miami.

Good luck! Go get your LPN and then get into one of the local ( BCC or Miami Dade) LPN to Rn Transition programs, they are only one more year after the LPN program and you will be an RN while making LPN pay while training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sandi in Hollywood, Florida

78 months ago

Cathy said: I have an Associate Degree as an MA and jobs where I live as far as clinics and doctors offices prefer MA's, Most LPNs only have a Diploma and work in Nursing homes with Cna's wipeing Booty behind Lazy Cna's, Where as I am Manager over my Clinic because of my degree status & I make 16 dollars an hour plus medical benefits and a 401K, Great Benefits!! I Love doing MA work, I wouldn't wana be a LPN Or RN because its too stressful for their money and my salary and duties are AWESOME for what I do, I see people on a walk in and out basis, My jobs not stressful, That's why theirs a shortage of RN's, because its too stressful...I Love being a Medical Assistant!!!!

Great, so why are you on the LPN boards?....and BTW LPNs where I am start at 25 an hr...and I never wipe a "booty"...
you go on loving your 16.00 an hr...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

First off you try being a CNA for one day. They have one of the hardest jobs and don't get paid well enough for it. Second off you do realize what you just said you have a degree and your only making 16 dollars and hour. Managers of fast food restuarants make that and some of them didn't even graduate high school. I used to come on here and wonder why everyone was so mean to each other because we are all in health care feilds. We shouln't be putting each other down because we get that enough from Doctors. But know I just think that MA's are CRAZY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stacey in Joliet, Illinois

78 months ago

Nurse Betty in Evansville, Indiana said: I am an LPN in southern Indiana, and the job choices stink. It is either go back to what I made fresh out almost 15 years ago to work in an MD/clinic environment or stick with long term care. I am done with nursing, it is such a joke. In 1993 when I got my license it was awful and now with Medicare part D it is worse. There are so many healthcare jobs out there, this field can not be outsourced...I am sticking with healthcare but detouring out of nursing. Insurance/Medicare/Medicaid pay back is so low about 15%, what do you think will happen to wages? My brother is a MD and his contract renewal was a 10% pay cut to make up for this. Nurses are next on the food chain. If you are smart, take something to compliment nursing, computers for data entry or a certificate to make yourself a must have. LPN's are utilized less and less, all I see here is long term care. CMA's are perferred, they get a different education, for clinics and MD offices.

Im currently trying to decide between the LPN program or the Massage Therapy program. I need to decide by March. Im having the hardest time making this decision. Any advice for me?
I live in Illinois by the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Pamela in Ottawa, Ontario

78 months ago

I found your comment so retarded and short sighted. Why do you have to put down other people? Is it because you are not actually as happy as you claim? or is it because you did not have the brains to be a nurse? I am happy that your contented with your fast food secretary certificate. Oops, with your few medical terminology words you got from the back of a medical books glossary that was way over your head. If you paid attention you would know that LPN's do not "wipe booty"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

78 months ago

Sandi,

I think you have no idea what the LPN program and or profession is.

Sometimes people need to put others down so they feel good about who they are and I think this is a case.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

If your not happy with your career choices than go work at Mc Donalds eat yourself into obesity and stop complaining. Go have a chocolate sunday and a banana split. It'll make you feel better. Have a nice life and try to fight your depression.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

your skills. Most nursing homes your just giving pills to so many patients. In hospitals you learn more, you have less patients. I have 4 to 6 patients each day and I work in full scope on a neurology unit part time and another government facility with full benifits. I make a little over $30/hr because of my experience and specializations. My hospital has so many different programs offered to us that it is easy to move up in salary and designation. They payed for my advancement in education and do alot of inservices. Nursing homes use you and don't really care if you advance or not. They just need a pill pusher with a pulse. Most of them are private and for profit and don't want to pay you benifits much less a good salary. Imagine all that money you spent studying for your program. Take my advice, cultivate your skills, because if you guys are making such a low salary it is because your job is not requiring you to use much of your skills and the place you are working is owned privately. You will lose your skills and when a position at a big hospital comes up you won't be good enough to work there anymore. You'll be stuck in nursing homes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LISA in Mystic, Connecticut

78 months ago

PAMELA, I AM CURRENTLY WORKING AS A MEDICAL BILLER IN THE BEHAV. HEALTH FIELD AND HAVE IN THE PAST FEW MONTHS DECIDED TO START LOOKING INTO NURSING PROGRAMS. IN MY STATE THEY OFFER THE LPN PROGRAM THAT IS 18 MONTHS LONG AND PLENTY OF SPACES AVAILABLE FOR ABOUT 6000.00 PER SCHOOL YEAR, 2 YEARS INVOLVED. OR A TWO YEAR WAIT LIST JUST TO APPLY TO THE RN PROGRAM. THEY HAVE 50 SLOTS AVAILABLE FOR THE RN PROGRAM AND AN AVERAGE OF 600 APPLICANTS. WHICH WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO GO? MY MOTHER IS A SURGICAL NURSE I AM MORE INTERESTED IN THE PYSCH END OF NURSING. SHOULD I GO LPN TO RN FOR HANDS ON EXPERIENCE. PAY REALLY ISNT IMPORTANT TO ME IN THE START OF A NEW CAREER I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO HELP SOMEONE EACH AND EVERY DAY. WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Hello,

In answer to your question, I believe that if you take the LPN program it is shorter and less of a salary, however, since you want to be speacialized, take a pysch. certificate if they offer it in the states and your salary will go up and you will have more opportunities to work in hospitals. Plus, from my experiene when I use to work in pysch. the hospital paid me extra premiums and more if I worked evenings or nights. There are so many different depts. in this specialization from criminals with bipolar to teenagers with eating disorders. Most certificate programs are offered on-line and take less than six months. I later branched of into neuroscience to challenge myself after awhile on the biologic aspect of the brain and how it functions and affects the rest of the body ect. If I had to do it again I would go directly into the RN program because it is easier at the end to work in any specialty you choose, because when you enter the hospital you are trained by nursing educators on the unit of your choice. LPN's have to work for sometime with excellent references to be excepted in hospitals, especially in any specific department. I work in neurology, however I have a long background in pychiatry since the 1990's. I am also fluently billingual in three languages. I know some LPN's who are scrub nurses working in surgery and getting good hires and salary, because they took the certificate program for less than 6 months part-time. Don't gravitate to nursing homes, you'll lose your nursing skills in most of them. My advice would be, depending on where you live, scope out the population and figure out if there is a Spanish clientele ect. Basically make youself as marketable as possible if your going the LPN direction. I hope this helps.
Pamela
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lisa in Glastonbury, Connecticut

78 months ago

Pam, thank you so much for the information. I speak Italian, Spanish and English and throughout my career I have always used that to my advantage as far as pay. I am really glad that you gave me the information you did, I was trying hard no to be discouraged by quite a few of the comments on here. Do you knwo anything about the LPN-RN bridge courses? I eventually would like to be an RN but due to having a mortgage and a million other bills my schedule is so restricted to just giving up work. The LPN program in my area is 730am until 230 pm monday thru friday for the two years. I have called a lot of the nursing schools in my area to go th ern route but obtaining the pre reqs required is two years alone! Then an additional two years for the ADN to be an RN, does the formal education make a huge difference?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

lisa in Glastonbury, Connecticut said: Pam, thank you so much for the information. I speak Italian, Spanish and English and throughout my career I have always used that to my advantage as far as pay. I am really glad that you gave me the information you did, I was trying hard no to be discouraged by quite a few of the comments on here. Do you knwo anything about the LPN-RN bridge courses? I eventually would like to be an RN but due to having a mortgage and a million other bills my schedule is so restricted to just giving up work. The LPN program in my area is 730am until 230 pm monday thru friday for the two years. I have called a lot of the nursing schools in my area to go th ern route but obtaining the pre reqs required is two years alone! Then an additional two years for the ADN to be an RN, does the formal education make a huge difference?

In ohio there are courses you can do online to get your RN and you go at your own pace and pay as you go. I have a friend who is currently doing one and he says it is pretty inexpensive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

susan in Oxford, New York

78 months ago

Hi Samantha - do know the name(s) of the programs in Ohio to do the LPN-RN online?

Thank you -

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cindy in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

hi, im in a M.A program but wanting to go to school for LPN.........will it be worth it? or should i just try and get into an RN program, the physician i work with said theres not many jobs for LPN's...anyone in california know anything about this??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Minot, North Dakota

78 months ago

cindy in Los Angeles, California said: hi, im in a M.A program but wanting to go to school for LPN.........will it be worth it? or should i just try and get into an RN program, the physician i work with said theres not many jobs for LPN's...anyone in california know anything about this??

Hi Cindy-
I am a LPN with an associates degree and also have a Bachelor of Arts in Addiction Studies. Here in North Dakota pay ranges quite widely. RN's here must have a 4 year degree, and start out at much higher pay.
I have been a nursing assistant, a endoscopic tech, worked in psych, CDU, dermatology, Gastroenterology, family practice, assisted living and nursing homes. I know I loved the specialties, but here it is hard to find a job I love.
I think finding a job depends on where you are willing to live, what type of position you are willing to take, and what type of pay you are willing to take.
Right now I am looking for ANY kind of day shift clinic/hospital work with NO prospects.
I am having to think about moving if I want to continue nursing. Not happy about uprooting my kids, leaving my older parents and taking off for God knows where.
It does not help at all that our city is experiencing a monopolistic health care environment.
There are ads for LPNs, MAs, (both CMAs and RMAs) and RNs but the morale here is not good.
My complaint is that here in ND we have some of the highest requirements for education, and hear of friends heading off and making a lot more money with jobs requiring little or no college or experience.
Our elder population is growing, so there will be need for help there. We have RNs (some were grandfathered in with 18 month non-degree programs, some grandfathered in without the BSN that is now required) LPNs- mostly associate degree nurses, RMAs, CMAs, Med Aides, CNAs, NAs. And I think we all are probably not paid as well as if we were somewhere else. Guess it just boils down to what you want and where.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lisa in Glastonbury, Connecticut

78 months ago

Cindy I work for a national Healthcare company right now in Finance, would you consider telecommuting with Aetna, or United Healthcare they are always recruiting nurses to work via phone. They do pay pretty well. I have a few friends who work in this field and they are in the same position you are due to their husbands being in the military and althought they miss the hands on, when it comes down to paying the bills and staying within the field. I just thought I would throw that out there. I myself am contemplating whether to go to LPN route or RN route as I work in a substance abuse facility in healthcare and I want to participate with patients in a hands on setting but be fairly compensated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sammi in West Chester, Ohio

78 months ago

I just wanted to butt in and let you know that I've been looking at College Network for LPN to RN. You can even do LPN to BSN online. Go to www.college-net.com/ and they have information and a pdf file that goes through everything the course requires. All you need is to be a LPN to start I believe. That's where I'm going to go! Oh yeah and they also have a success guarantee that if you fail the NCLEX twice they will pay for a tutor until you pass. That's pretty crazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Middletown, Ohio

78 months ago

anna in Port Orange, Florida said: As a seasoned LPN I am currently working under a contract at a small community 113 bed hospital.The paid rate is $30.00 per hr and at the end of 13 weeks if you don't call off they(the hospital ) pay a bonus of $5.00 for every hr. worked during the 13 wk. period. I have worked agency, float pool in house, private duty, nursing homes, icu, pcu,ortho, blah blah blah. Anyway my point is ...go everyplace you can. Each new area strengthens your skills and makes you more valuable to your patients and employers And it gives you a true sense of title vs knowledge . I work three 12 hr shifts a week= $2,160 every 2 wks plus a bonus of a minimum of $2,340 every 13 weeks. Or I could take a float pool position with them for $26.00 per hr and be part of their staff and still make more or at least as muck as a R.N. --get your A.C.L.S. and that also helps to get icu positions

Hi I would love a chance to chat with you,you seem to have a lot input on a Traveling Nurse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

When I first started out I had to work days, evenings, and nights. You can't expect to get only day shifts when other nurses have been there before you. After a year of hours you don't care for, you will be in a better position to ask for day shifts. Your still considered a new grad and would be new to the facility. Be patient and you will find what your looking for. It takes awhile to find out where you want to be, and be comfortable. If spending time with your family is an issue, work part-time and get your foot through the door until you get what you want. Most of us had to work crappy hours in the beginning. Sometimes you can switch with other nurses who want to do night shifts because they have young kids they bring to school during the day. Once an employer sees that your not flexible, they won't hire you.

Sonny in Loveland, Ohio

77 months ago

I understand what you are saying but the thing is out here in Ohio there just isn't any jobs. Forget the shift that I desire, there isn't any jobs for the LPN unless you have a couple of years under your belt. How do you get the years if you can't get hired. I have sent out so many resumes that I lost count. So once again what to do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karmann in Denver, Colorado

77 months ago

Cathy said: I have an Associate Degree as an MA and jobs where I live as far as clinics and doctors offices prefer MA's, Most LPNs only have a Diploma and work in Nursing homes with Cna's wipeing Booty behind Lazy Cna's, Where as I am Manager over my Clinic because of my degree status & I make 16 dollars an hour plus medical benefits and a 401K, Great Benefits!! I Love doing MA work, I wouldn't wana be a LPN Or RN because its too stressful for their money and my salary and duties are AWESOME for what I do, I see people on a walk in and out basis, My jobs not stressful, That's why theirs a shortage of RN's, because its too stressful...I Love being a Medical Assistant!!!!

I was a CNA (or they call us PCAs in Colorado) for 10 years and by the time I got my LPN license, I was up to 18 and hour. This was just a few months ago that I passed my LPN boards. Now, I am working at the same hospital as an LPN and making 24 and hour. The reason why Doctors and clinics prefer MA's is because you are cheaper.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lori in Queens Village, New York

77 months ago

EXACTLY!

Trevor in Two Harbors, Minnesota

77 months ago

Hi I have been an LPN for over 11 years. I want to start a website for LPNs who work in the long term care setting. I want to offer a forum for fellow nursing home nurses and aides to post comments and threads. Also, I want to offer tips and time savers.. stress reducers etc. What do other nurses think of this idea? Is there anything that you would like to see on a nurse's website??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Sorry your having a hard time trying to find work. I'm not sure what the need for LPN's are in Ohio. Maybe you should consider getting your resume professionally done. When I first graduated, I would see a job I wanted and gear my resume to what the employer wanted. I would then study on it so that if I had the interview I would be confident. Everytime I had a interview I would get the job to the point where I would just send one resume at a time.
The next step I would suggest is network. If you were a good student and had good marks and respect from your teacher's and other student's they can help you. I work in neurosurgery right now not only because of my experience, but because of my references. I did really well in my clinicals and had great reference from clinical teachers who work in the same teaching hospital I work in right now. They will even give you the heads up on what interviewers will ask, because they know each other.
Another thing I did when I just graduated, was schedule an appointment with the employment specialist at my college, who did a mock interview with me on questions that nursing employer may ask. The more confident you are in an interview, the more comfortable your employer will feel to hire you. Demonstrate safe practice in your resume, team work, organization, leadership and genuine compassion even if it relates to a clinical experience at school. Go back and talk with your teachers. References from them carry alot of weight. Know your potential employers value statements and goals and add it to your resume in a honest way. Talk about it in your interview as it being your goals and really mean it, because after your probation time if it is not there, they will boot you out.
While your still searching use your energy on reviewing your medications and skills. Determine what kind of nurse you want to be. It will come out in the way you write your resume and interview. Don't give up, employers all have a time they hire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

MA'S WHERE I WORK ARE LPN'S, RN'S SLAVES. YOU DO THE PAPER WORK THAT REAL MEDICAL STAFF HAVE NO TIME FOR. EVEN WITH THAT NURSES HAVE TO OVER SEE YOUR WORK BECAUSE YOUR NOT REGISTERED STAFF AND AT THE END OF THE DAY NURSE'S ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU DO. MOST OF THE TIME WE HAVE TO CO-SIGN AND CHECK YOUR DOCUMENTS BEFORE THEY ARE SENT ANYWHERE. IF I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR DOCUMENTATION I CAN GET YOU FIRED. YOUR NOT UNIONIZED AND I CAN DROWN YOU WITH TONS OF WORK INSTEAD OF HELPING YOU BY DOING SOME OF IT MYSELF. I HAVE AN ASSOCIATES DEGREE AND IF I WERE MAKING $16 HOURS, MINUS TAXES AND SO CALLED BENIFITS YOU PAY INTO EACH CHECK I WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO AFFORD MY MORTGAGE. BE HAPPY WITH YOUR MINIMUM WAGE, BUT STOP PUTTING DOWN OTHER PEOPLE, BECAUSE YOUR NOT BETTER THAN ANYONE. BY THE SOUNDS OF IT YOU WOULD NOT BE SUITED FOR NURSING BECAUSE YOU SOUND VERY LAZY AND NURSING IS FOR HARD WORKERS WHO GENUINELY WANT TO HELP SICK PEOPLE. IF YOU WERE WORKING IN MY HOSPITAL YOU WOULD BE CHEWED UP AND SPIT OUT. THERE WOULD BE NO TIME TO SNUB OTHER PROFESSIONALS. YOU WOULD BE TOO BUSY. IF YOUR MAKING $16/HR YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY BE BUSY BECAUSE MA'S IN MY HOSPITAL MAKE $23/HR. WITH BENIFITS AND THEY WORK AS A PART OF THE TEAM. THEY HAVE NO TIME TO SIT AROUND LOOKING AT THE CEILING AND SNUBBING EVERYONE. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND TRY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN SOMEONE ELSE'S LIFE. IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

UNFORTUNATEY SOME PEOPLE ARE USEING THESE SIGHTS TO PUT DOWN OTHER PEOPLE WHEN IT SHOULD BE A SOURCE OF ENCOURAGEMENT AND A GOOD RESOURCE. MA'S VERSES LPN'S VS RN'S. IT'S QUIT PATHETIC AND CHILDISH. EVERYTIME YOU WORK WITH WOMEN THEY HAVE DIFFICAULTY BE PROFESSIONAL AND MOST OF THEM ARE INSECURE. WHY DO'T I EVER HEAR THESE THINGS FROM MEN WHO I WORK WITH? WHAT'S WRONG WITH WOMEN SUPPORTING EACH OTHER?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.