Michigan nursing

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 150)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Lucylou in Crown Point, Indiana

63 months ago

Can anyone share about the job market/wages in Michigan for LPN/RN. Would appreciate everyones input.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lucylou in Crown Point, Indiana

63 months ago

Brandyrae in Jackson, Michigan said: The job market here for LPN's is terrible. I have been a LPN for over 10 years and I moved mack to Michigan this past fall. I still have not found a job. The whole state of Michigan has revised their care and budget and have done away with LPN's. The only chance is a nursing home and the pay is 16.00-18.00 tops. Most nursing homes are only hiring part-time employees so they dont have to offer benefits. How is the job market in Indiana? When I was in Tennessee, I had job offers thrown at me. There also seem to be alot of LPN jobs in Wisconsin and Arizona. If you are an LPN, Michigan is not a place to seek employment.

The job market here is also grim. I too, have been a nurse for almost 11 years. The pay here at some places is 14oo/hr. What a joke. I came from Wisconsin in Dec. 08, just found a p/t job, otherwise as you say it's all nursing home. Nursing home pay is about 18.00/hr if that. I qualify for a little more because of experience but someone new may get 16.00/hr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

shardae in Toledo, Ohio

61 months ago

Im a recnt lpn grad just moved from indiana to mi. I work in allen park mi and earn 22/hr with a 2 shift differential.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

maurie in Toledo, Ohio

61 months ago

Brandyrae in Jackson, Michigan said: The job market here for LPN's is terrible. I have been a LPN for over 10 years and I moved mack to Michigan this past fall. I still have not found a job. The whole state of Michigan has revised their care and budget and have done away with LPN's. The only chance is a nursing home and the pay is 16.00-18.00 tops. Most nursing homes are only hiring part-time employees so they dont have to offer benefits. How is the job market in Indiana? When I was in Tennessee, I had job offers thrown at me. There also seem to be alot of LPN jobs in Wisconsin and Arizona. If you are an LPN, Michigan is not a place to seek employment.

What part of michigan? Lpn's are making 21/hr-24/hr and even more with homecare im a new grad the first application i filled out i was hired and got a job in taylor mi. making 21/hr + shift differential. Look in the metro detroit area (which consist of all surronding areas within 30-45 minutes away) keep looking the jobs are out there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

marletteus@yahoo.com in Monroe, Michigan

61 months ago

I work in Mi in long term care. I am making 22.50 hr. right out og school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

debbie in Taylor, Michigan

61 months ago

I am an LPN; relocated here to Detroit Metro area 3 months ago; 4 years exp. in various mutiple settings; LTC; detention facilities as well as home care (which I am not too comfortable with here as am not familiar with the area etc.) I have applied at many LTC facilites with a couple interviews, but No hire as yet. I do not understand at all. In Florida it was so much easier and so many nursing agencies just waiting for a "good nurse". Not only do I miss it there now I cannot even get hired here??? ANY help or assistance would be Greatly appreciated. I have even opened All options saying I will take any shift/ part-time/ full-time, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lucylou in Crown Point, Indiana

59 months ago

debbie in Taylor, Michigan said: I am an LPN; relocated here to Detroit Metro area 3 months ago; 4 years exp. in various mutiple settings; LTC; detention facilities as well as home care (which I am not too comfortable with here as am not familiar with the area etc.) I have applied at many LTC facilites with a couple interviews, but No hire as yet. I do not understand at all. In Florida it was so much easier and so many nursing agencies just waiting for a "good nurse". Not only do I miss it there now I cannot even get hired here??? ANY help or assistance would be Greatly appreciated. I have even opened All options saying I will take any shift/ part-time/ full-time, etc.

It took me 7 months to find a position that I liked when I moved from WI to IN and yes, the pay is much less in IN which was another blow to my job hunt. I've said this in another post, that I don't know what it is when you relocate, it's like you are an outsider.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

corrina in Taylor, Michigan

59 months ago

shardae in Toledo, Ohio said: Im a recnt lpn grad just moved from indiana to mi. I work in allen park mi and earn 22/hr with a 2 shift differential.

But you every penny of that money I've work there too there motto is you can easily be replaced so watch your back

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Utica, Michigan

58 months ago

I've been an LPN for four years now and make over 25/hr at a local nursing home. I also recently picked up a contingent position at another nursing home for 26.50/hr. Everyone has their place, and LPN's will always be needed. Some of us are better nurses than RN's due to our experience. I've been in the medical field for 22 years, and can run circles around of our new RN grads. Don't give up, there is a position out there for you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FRAN in Detroit, Michigan

57 months ago

Jane in Utica, Michigan said: I've been an LPN for four years now and make over 25/hr at a local nursing home. I also recently picked up a contingent position at another nursing home for 26.50/hr. Everyone has their place, and LPN's will always be needed. Some of us are better nurses than RN's due to our experience. I've been in the medical field for 22 years, and can run circles around of our new RN grads. Don't give up, there is a position out there for you!!

Jane I truely agree. I am in hopes of starting to go to school to be an LPN and hopefully it turns out well. Hopefully I can get my foot in the door with no problems at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim Lund in sheridan, Michigan

57 months ago

I have been a nurse for a long time 15+ years worked as a homecare and hospice nurse for over 9 yrs and got laid off. .
It is really hard to find a job in this state. We have several nursing homes in this area and I can't find a job anywhere.Even looking in home care and nothing.

57 months ago

corrina in Taylor, Michigan said: But you every penny of that money I've work there too there motto is you can easily be replaced so watch your back

that is the truth, that is how it is everywhere, It is a cut throat business anymore

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

gm in Detroit, Michigan

57 months ago

amber3 in Canton, Michigan said: I am a recent lpn grad and am in search of a ltc position in the detroit metro area. I am willing to travel 30-45 minutes in any direction. Please let me know of any possible job leads. Desperately need work. Thanks in advance

I Would Like to speak with you, I know of a place that is hiring and paying very well

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

amber3 in Canton, Michigan

57 months ago

gm in Detroit, Michigan said: I Would Like to speak with you, I know of a place that is hiring and paying very well

Thanks a bunch. I don't really want to put my number on the net so email me,at which point I can give you my number and contact info directly. My email is edwards.amber@ymail.com. Hear from you soon.

lmassey in Toledo, Ohio

57 months ago

I am a new nurse and was wondering the process for obtaining a MI license. I am currently licensed in Ohio.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

David in Prudenville, Michigan

56 months ago

I live in the Houghton lake area of michigan and I am a graduate trying to find a LPN position.Willing to travel 50 miles away or so.If anyone out there knows of anyone hiring would you please pass it along to me..........Thanks David

gmccalebb@rossprov.com in Detroit, Michigan

56 months ago

Hello David, can you please send me a personal email, I am not able to send you my number through this forum gmccalebb@rossprov.com I do know of some positions available

Thanking you advance

56 months ago

Kim Lund in sheridan, Michigan said: I have been a nurse for a long time 15+ years worked as a homecare and hospice nurse for over 9 yrs and got laid off. .
It is really hard to find a job in this state. We have several nursing homes in this area and I can't find a job anywhere.Even looking in home care and nothing.

I know of some positions available please email me at gmccalebb@rossprov.com

thanks

56 months ago

where are they I have been looking on line all week and can't find anything

shondral jackson in Saginaw, Michigan

56 months ago

I am a recent lpn grad who has experience in working in LTC.. I will be relocating to Dearborn, MI. from Saginaw Mi, looking for an part-time LPN position I am willing to travel up to 45 minutes in the surrounding area.. If anyone know's of any nursing homes hiring please do share!!!!

56 months ago

please email me at gmccalebb@rossprov.com. I am a Business Service Representative, looking for RN and LPN for a nursing home that pays well. please email me and I will get back with you soon

Thanking you in advance,
Germell McCalebb
Business Service Representative
MichiganWorks! Community Service East

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David in Roscommon, Michigan

56 months ago

I to still have not found a LPN job.Went to a interview on thursday and the person that was suppose to do the interview never showed up for me.That was a low blow.Getting frustraded.Are michigan works wont even help find a job for you.I graduated in june 2009 and no job.If anyone knows of any jobs close to roscommon with in 75 miles could you pass it along to me thanks..........

55 months ago

FOR THOSE NOT GETTING HIRED ......what school did everyone graduate from. I had an impression that the school was supposed to provide help with finding a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

For those who graduated . What schools did you go to? Do you think the school you graduated from has to do with you not getting hired in?

babyblu113 in Saginaw, Michigan

55 months ago

Hi there this is my first time on the site, very neat. I am a LPN with 5 years experience, I live in the thumb area in Michigan, I have been looking at jobs for weeks there is nothing available in this area. I am amazed a few years ago there were many more jobs available for LPN's. Any suggestions?

55 months ago

Good Morning, are you looking to move?

David in Houghton Lake, Michigan

55 months ago

FRAN in Detroit, Michigan said: FOR THOSE NOT GETTING HIRED ......what school did everyone graduate from. I had an impression that the school was supposed to provide help with finding a job?

They dont help you find a job only help you set up your resume and then your on your own..........

55 months ago

Good Morning Fran, maybe that is a question for the school. I am a Business Service Representative for Michigan Works, Detroit One-Stop

55 months ago

gmccalebb@rossprov.com in Detroit, Michigan said: Good Morning Fran, maybe that is a question for the school. I am a Business Service Representative for Michigan Works, Detroit One-Stop

Actually the question was for the students. On here a couple of L.P.N.s stated they had no problem finding a job. I was curious where they graduated from opposed to the ones who had difficulty finding one.

babyblu113 in Saginaw, Michigan

55 months ago

I graduated from Latoyas health education one years LPN program in Saginaw, I can say I have been offered a position at every job I've ever applied at, but there are not any jobs to apply for in our area right now. For those of you making 25-26 dollars an hour you are very lucky that is not really heard of in our area most make 15-19 dollars an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Clarissa in University Center, Michigan

55 months ago

Hello I love this site it gives very good information. Just wanted to know how is the LPN career?.I'm currently a freshman at S.V.S.U majoring in nursing but I have been thinking about going to Everest Institute or community college to become a LPN before I become a RN. Are LPNs still in demand?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Clarissa in University Center, Michigan

55 months ago

maurie in Toledo, Ohio said: What part of michigan? Lpn's are making 21/hr-24/hr and even more with homecare im a new grad the first application i filled out i was hired and got a job in taylor mi. making 21/hr + shift differential. Look in the metro detroit area (which consist of all surronding areas within 30-45 minutes away) keep looking the jobs are out there

Hello Just want to know what school did you attend?

mchap in San Antonio, Texas

54 months ago

Currently in nursing school in Texas to become an LPN. I then plan to relocate to Grand Rapids upon graduation. Does anybody know how the market is for LPNs in GR?
Thanks

54 months ago

It will be a year in June 2010 since I graduated from college with a License as a LPN and still no job.

mchap in San Antonio, Texas

54 months ago

I hear the VA hires LPNs...

Sarah in michigan in Macomb, Michigan

54 months ago

I wanted to do the r.n thing , but decided to go with the lpn ( almost impossible to get into macombs nursing program) what really sucks is the fact that i have a medical assistant degree, and i barely made 10.00 an hour. I hope lpn make more! or theres another 2 years down the drain. And more money!

54 months ago

I know how you feel about putting money down the drain.I graduated with honors as a LPN back in june 2009 and still no job as a LPN.What a waste of time for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sjackson1 in Saginaw, Michigan

54 months ago

I am a recent LPN graduate just moved to the detroit area.. In the need of an lpn position in long term care are there any suggestions?

Chocdrp in Toledo, Ohio

53 months ago

I'm a LPN with 1yr experience would like to move been surfing the internet it's so hard to find a position in my career. Any suggestions on how to make this happen for me? I've typed in the state and my position still nothing. Going back to school in September but considering changing fields. Second questiion why when your new the other nurses always trying to stab you in the back or set you up, what happen to help someone if you see there not going about it the right way quess it was true nurses do eat there young!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

nurslaura38 in Newport, Michigan

53 months ago

i work a nursing home, i am an lpn with 10 years experience, i make 24.50 pr hr, the only problem for lpns in michigan is that alot of the hospitals have done away with lpns or changed their pay scale and responsibilities. if you are willing to work in ltc you can get a job easily.

sunshine007 in newport, Michigan

53 months ago

Hi Everyone, Im new to this site I found it while looking for a job. I also have been out of work for a year after the agency I was with moved with my last paycheck. I agree its tough, up until last year jobs were everywhere, now its a joke. I am getting my RN through Excelsior. Im so discouraged over whats happened to the job market......grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

msb in Detroit, Michigan

53 months ago

Im interested in attending Everest in southfield,mi for lpn is it any one who completed the program. I wanted to know how the program is and did the teachers prepare you for the nursing field

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hawkins04 in Muskegon, Michigan

53 months ago

Hi, Ive been a LPN for 30 years and was working at a wonderful Retirement Home in Grand Rapids, Mi. I really loved it and was there 2 years and 2 months ago go laid off. I was devastated and did not see it coming. I am having a rough time finding a job also. So frustrating...... The pay is pretty bad here also.
15.00-18.00 So good luck to everyone. Nursing is a great career and I really love it but if you are in it for the money, this is not IT.

sunshine007 in newport, Michigan

53 months ago

msb in Detroit, Michigan said: Im interested in attending Everest in southfield,mi for lpn is it any one who completed the program. I wanted to know how the program is and did the teachers prepare you for the nursing field

Please, please go for your RN if you can if you plan to stay in Mi.
Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sunshine007 in Montrose, Michigan

53 months ago

Hi hawkins04, Wow Im so sad for you. I feel bad for feeling sorry for myself!!! Its scary right now for alot of us....well take care
good luck to you.

LPNWannabe in Winfield, West Virginia

53 months ago

The best way i found studying the math sections of the NET was on youtube,any math questions you have you can type it in and there are instructors showing you everything in detail,whether it is algebra,percents.equations etc. it helped me out alot,I just got my acceptance letter to the program a couple of days ago,good luck.

JANE2020 in Detroit, Michigan

52 months ago

I've been a nurse for about 10yrs...and the nursing homes and rehabs pay the most20-26.00/hr depending on experience and if you choose to get the health insurance....the jobs here are okay at some facilities and not okay at others,...you really want to know what the capacity of the facility is for residents and the nurse to patient ratio...meaning is it 200 bed facility and 1 nurse for 45-50 residents on a day shift?...it can happen like that...is there a TX nurse 5 days a week?,how many tube feeders?,ask about bloored pressure cups,pulse oximeters,O2 tanks/portble machines,..how many?... and where are they?... equipment that is not available in an emergency can put a licensed nurse in a bad position...how many cenas,some facilities want nurses to pass trays assist with feeding on top of the 101 other nursing duties....and they expect you to do it all...ask questions...Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

PR

52 months ago

JANE2020 in Detroit, Michigan said: I've been a nurse for about 10yrs...and the nursing homes and rehabs pay the most20-26.00/hr depending on experience and if you choose to get the health insurance....the jobs here are okay at some facilities and not okay at others,...you really want to know what the capacity of the facility is for residents and the nurse to patient ratio...meaning is it 200 bed facility and 1 nurse for 45-50 residents on a day shift?...it can happen like that...is there a TX nurse 5 days a week?,how many tube feeders?,ask about bloored pressure cups,pulse oximeters,O2 tanks/portble machines,..how many?... and where are they?... equipment that is not available in an emergency can put a licensed nurse in a bad position...how many cenas,some facilities want nurses to pass trays assist with feeding on top of the 101 other nursing duties....and they expect you to do it all...ask questions...Good Luck!!

You are absolutely correct about passing trays, feeding, and even cleaning off tables after meals. I worked 3 1/2 months on a weekend 12 hour Baylor shift at a facility that expected the LPN to basically do everything including answering phone. The job was totally overwhelming, especially for a new nurse. Orientation was pretty much nonexistant. Even the RN's that were on duty didn't know much of anything because most of them were from agencies. I don't think LTC is going to be for me! Good luck to everyone!

msb in Detroit, Michigan

52 months ago

There is a LPN program at Oakland University through St.John Detroit Riverview Campus.They are currently accepting applications for the January 2011 class. The No Worker Left Behind Grant covers 13,000 in tuition, not including books and supplies, if qualified. The program tuition is $14,000 + books and supplies (an additional $1290). You can find out more info on the schools website at www.oakland.edu

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Candacebennieb in Detroit, Michigan

51 months ago

msb in Detroit, Michigan said: Im interested in attending Everest in southfield,mi for lpn is it any one who completed the program. I wanted to know how the program is and did the teachers prepare you for the nursing field

Do not go to Everest I work at Henry Ford Hospital and my Nurse Manager told me they will not hire me in the system if you go to that school.

I have a friend that graduated from Everest over 2 years ago and she said no one would hire her because of Everest.

Also, Michigan works TAA representative tells me that they will not pay for Everest, through my education benefits from No workers left behind or a special grant I got from Chrysler when I took the buy-out. Because they have found that they LPN Everest graducates are unemployable.

BEWARE OF EVEREST DON'T GO!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.