- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

n rse in New Jersey

71 months ago

Meg, how did you like LTC? thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

keith in Lakeland, Florida

71 months ago

Meg in Rochester, New York said: Hi,
I have been a LPN for about 3 years and have worked in MD offices, outpatient dialysis, etc and tried a job in a LTC facility (23 patients per LPN!!!!) Now I am thinking of applying to a local hospital to be trained as a scrub tech - anyone out there that has done that? I would appreciate any feedback, Thanks!!
Meg

I just graduated and have been a scrub tech for 2 months and I hate it. Doctors camplain and want you to be super fast so they can get their 8 or 9 cases done for the day. They give you and the nurse grief if you screw up and even tried to blame you for something they did. Long hours. Lot of cursing that goes on in the OR. I wouldn't recommend this job for anyone unless you are a high strong personality and love to put up with crap all day. Lot of standing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Meg in Spencerport, New York

70 months ago

shanndell in Rochester, New York said: scrub tech? sounds interesting here in rochester I would like more info

Well, I contacted Unity Hospital and they do hire LPNs and train them for scrub tech positions. I talked to a friend of mine who did that exact thing and she loves it! You do have to agree to work day/evening shifts and are on call on weekends on a rotating basis (if you are on call you have to be able to be scrubbed and ready to go within a half hour of being called in ) So. . . I am still thinking it over - they don't ask for a formal committment once you are trained but its kind of understood that you owe the hospital some time after they train you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

peggy in Englishtown, New Jersey

70 months ago

Meg in Spencerport, New York said: Well, I contacted Unity Hospital and they do hire LPNs and train them for scrub tech positions. I talked to a friend of mine who did that exact thing and she loves it! You do have to agree to work day/evening shifts and are on call on weekends on a rotating basis (if you are on call you have to be able to be scrubbed and ready to go within a half hour of being called in ) So. . . I am still thinking it over - they don't ask for a formal committment once you are trained but its kind of understood that you owe the hospital some time after they train you.

Your reply was helpful, thankyou where did you go for this training?

peggy in Englishtown, New Jersey

70 months ago

I am also a LPN hate LTC would love to look into other areas this or tech interested me please let me know where you did this course

tlcason in Jacksonville, Arkansas

67 months ago

i am a scrub tech i like the job, but i want to become and lpn have anyone done this before and how do u do this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gisquid in Fort Myers, Florida

67 months ago

Check out Eastern virginia Medical Institute. Look at the CST/CFA program. This is so much better than nursing and it pays more too!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

gisquid in Fort Myers, Florida said: Check out Eastern virginia Medical Institute. Look at the CST/CFA program. This is so much better than nursing and it pays more too!!

I want to make a correction. The school is The Eastern Virginia Medical School and the program is Surgical Assistant. The school is 2 yrs long and you must be CST before you can go!! But it is soo worth it!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John in Wausau, Wisconsin

67 months ago

I have been an LPN for nearly 14 years now. I have seen the LPN role decline from a respected professional to a glorified CNA. I have seen the LPN career opprotunities dwindle to be the point where performing the role of a nurse barely exists. LPNs are now relegated to take tech jobs in a healthcare setting where their abilities and skills are ignored and the responsibilities are downsized so as not to compete with what an RN can do. The opprotunities are limited by the letters behind your name. In just about every other profession there is advancement and promotion, but not for the LPN regardless of further education and time in the profession. The LPN will always be a second class nurse in the eyes of those who hire them.

I have been hearing about the nursing shortage for my entire healthcare career of 25+ years, yet they ignore the LPN as the answer to their dilemma. I think that rather than relegate the LPN profession to being some type of healthcare tech they should allow on the job training of LPNs to RN and do away with the LPN for good as it appears to be going the way of the dinosaur.

I also think the LPNs are enabling this to happen by accepting tech positions or other roles in healthcare besides the one they have been trained for.

I see by the comments here that most LPNs hate LTC. I do too but there isnt much else you can do and still be considered a "nurse" I have worked with many RNs who consider LTC nurses incompetent, even though they have never worked in LTC in their career. I have met a few RNs who consider LPNs on nearly equal footing also and would welcome them on a hospital unit. But its the hospitals who are ignorant of LPN skills and abilities who have demeaned the LPN and limited their opprotunities due to ascthetics, limited their role below what the boards allow them to do in spite of the positive budgetary considerations hiring a unit LPN would give them. If you want to nurse get an RN. The LPN is obsole

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I am a Surgical Technition (CST). Not an LPN. I have worked with a few Surgical Techs who are LPN's and they are fantastic at both surgical assisting and surgical nursing. They are loved by their co-workers and they never get mistreated by their employers. They were trained on the job in the OR. Have you any interest in working in the OR?? I love it! I would never work on the floors doing beside patient care! Ask to come inside the OR and find out for yourself what it's like! Maybe this is what your looking for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

vinkus in Newark, New Jersey

65 months ago

John in Wausau, Wisconsin said: I have been an LPN for nearly 14 years now. I have seen the LPN role decline from a respected professional to a glorified CNA. I have seen the LPN career opprotunities dwindle to be the point where performing the role of a nurse barely exists. LPNs are now relegated to take tech jobs in a healthcare setting where their abilities and skills are ignored and the responsibilities are downsized so as not to compete with what an RN can do. The opprotunities are limited by the letters behind your name. In just about every other profession there is advancement and promotion, but not for the LPN regardless of further education and time in the profession. The LPN will always be a second class nurse in the eyes of those who hire them.

I have been hearing about the nursing shortage for my entire healthcare career of 25+ years, yet they ignore the LPN as the answer to their dilemma. I think that rather than relegate the LPN profession to being some type of healthcare tech they should allow on the job training of LPNs to RN and do away with the LPN for good as it appears to be going the way of the dinosaur.

I also think the LPNs are enabling this to happen by accepting tech positions or other roles in healthcare besides the one they have been trained for.

I see by the comments here that most LPNs hate LTC. I do too but there isnt much else you can do and still be considered a "nurse" I have worked with many RNs who consider LTC nurses incompetent, even though they have never worked in LTC in their career. I have met a few RNs who consider LPNs on nearly equal footing also and would welcome them on a hospital unit. But its the hospitals who are ignorant of LPN skills and abilities who have demeaned the LPN and limited their opprotunities due to ascthetics, limited their role below what the boards allow them to do in spite of the positive budgetary considerations hiring a unit LPN would give them. If you want to nurse get an RN. The L

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

You are unfortunatly correct in your depiction of the roles of the Lpn. I remember using the term "A Glorified Tech" with the other techs i worked with on the floor. The Rn gave the meds, and when my skills were needed, then and only then could i use them, Re: i'm eating give him something for pain.

I went into a 60 bed capacity on Pschy on LTC, i had to give meds for 12am & 6am, do drg's, g-t feedings, write notes on residents with situations open, check med list from 1 month to next for med changes. I never went back, it was horrible, as a per diem or float your unfamilar with place & stock. I cried in the car when i was done, i was afraid that day for my license. i never went back.

I currently work @ ALF and it's not anywhere as insane as that day. It does get busy when Rn isn't helpful or leaves for the day you are responsible for how many residents in that facilily.

There is no perfect job, but there must be one where the Lpn can be utilizied to their capabilities,poss. home care vn, if not it must be over the rainbow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cameogrl in Neptune, New Jersey

64 months ago

vinkus in Newark, New Jersey said: You are unfortunatly correct in your depiction of the roles of the Lpn. I remember using the term "A Glorified Tech" with the other techs i worked with on the floor. The Rn gave the meds, and when my skills were needed, then and only then could i use them, Re: i'm eating give him something for pain.

I went into a 60 bed capacity on Pschy on LTC, i had to give meds for 12am & 6am, do drg's, g-t feedings, write notes on residents with situations open, check med list from 1 month to next for med changes. I never went back, it was horrible, as a per diem or float your unfamilar with place & stock. I cried in the car when i was done, i was afraid that day for my license. i never went back.

I currently work @ ALF and it's not anywhere as insane as that day. It does get busy when Rn isn't helpful or leaves for the day you are responsible for how many residents in that facilily.

There is no perfect job, but there must be one where the Lpn can be utilizied to their capabilities,poss. home care vn, if not it must be over the rainbow.[/QUOT Iman lpn26 yrs...I worked Chilton Memorial Hosp. in N jersey one eve. and Lpns there are called Helpers...They called me "the helper all eve.,ate the end of shift they told me to eprty ech rooms garbage cans!...never went there again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

florida10sun@yahoo.com in Columbus, Ohio

64 months ago

to VINKUS OF NEWARK, i feel the pain as i read your testimony. i too have worked like a hebrew slave in these rehab, psych and LTC FACILITIES. I ENJOYED THE PATIENTS, BUT THE PATIENT RATIO WAS RIDICULOUS. I HAVE GIVEN 20YRS OF NURSING SERVICE, BUT I HAVE REALIZE THAT WITH ALL THE YEARS ITS A REWARDING PROFESSION, SO I HOPE TO FINISH COLLEGE OF 4QUARTS AND A BUSINESS DEGREE FOR 1QUARTER AND LOOK TO THE FUTURE. AT THIS TIME I WILL SAY DON'T THE SITUATION TAKE YOUR NURSING JOY, BUT ANALYISE WHAT YOU CAN ACCOMMPLISH AND USE THE LPN KNOWLEDGE. AS WE HAVE ALWAYS SAID "THE SKY IS THE LIMIT" THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!

64 months ago

OMG! Helpers, you can't be serious! Isn't that what the volunteers are called that come to the hosp. to give out ice H2O, or newspapers? I always knew LPN's were looked down upon, but this only proves the point I previously made, we're "Glorified Techs", to the RN's. That's ok, we became nurses because we care for people and are better than small minded individuals who's only out for a paycheck, and get satisfaction in trying to make us feel less. I have come a long way and know I am, and my fellow LPN's out there are excellent nurses,and will continue to persevere over all obstacles. Hang in there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

florida10sun@yahoo.com in Columbus, Ohio said: to VINKUS OF NEWARK, i feel the pain as i read your testimony. i too have worked like a hebrew slave in these rehab, psych and LTC FACILITIES. I ENJOYED THE PATIENTS, BUT THE PATIENT RATIO WAS RIDICULOUS. I HAVE GIVEN 20YRS OF NURSING SERVICE, BUT I HAVE REALIZE THAT WITH ALL THE YEARS ITS A REWARDING PROFESSION, SO I HOPE TO FINISH COLLEGE OF 4QUARTS AND A BUSINESS DEGREE FOR 1QUARTER AND LOOK TO THE FUTURE. AT THIS TIME I WILL SAY DON'T THE SITUATION TAKE YOUR NURSING JOY, BUT ANALYISE WHAT YOU CAN ACCOMMPLISH AND USE THE LPN KNOWLEDGE. AS WE HAVE ALWAYS SAID "THE SKY IS THE LIMIT" THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!

I agree, I enjoy taking care of people, but it's very hard to not let Medics and RN's, who think they are superior, steal your joy. Everyday is a new challenge and I'm looking for something new. Good Luck to you and i hope you find the happiness we all seek.

Michelle in Weatherford, Oklahoma

53 months ago

can someone write to me why they wanted to become an scrub tech? Is it Fun??

9 in Dickson, Tennessee

52 months ago

Michelle in Weatherford, Oklahoma said: can someone write to me why they wanted to become an scrub tech? Is it Fun??

Im now in an internship to teach me to scrub and circulate in the OR. Im an LPN and have been for 16 yrs. I also have worked in the LTC, dialysis,home health setting. I have worked with many RNs who value what I bring to the table. But so far this is my perfect job I absolutlely love the OR. If you think you might have an interest check it out. You might love it. everyone is different in what they find appealing in a job. You do work long hrs and standing is part of it but at the hospital where i work they have someone that relieves you every 2 hrs or so or more.And to me Id rather be standing than sitting in a job I hate!!Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

50 months ago

Meg in Rochester, New York said: Hi,
I have been a LPN for about 3 years and have worked in MD offices, outpatient dialysis, etc and tried a job in a LTC facility (23 patients per LPN!!!!) Now I am thinking of applying to a local hospital to be trained as a scrub tech - anyone out there that has done that? I would appreciate any feedback, Thanks!!
Meg

I am also a new nurse. Have worked in Long Term facilities and it is anywhere from 50 -73 residents and ONE nurse (ME!!!!!) Of course if I am lucky I have one CNA for every 15 residents, but that does not happen on a night shift. Recently, I had 1 CNA for 53 residents in OKLAHOMA. this is real frequent here becasue the BOARD overlooks staffing as labor related and don't seem to see the DANGER to the number one focus....The Patient. Can the CNA assess the patient....NOPE. outside the scope of practice, so ratio thing is useless for Nurses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sl33pnBeauT in Columbia, South Carolina

42 months ago

I am torn between Surgical Technician and LPN! Can anyone give me an insight on which career path is best to take? Money has nothing to do with it at this point, I just want to find something I love to do. I did an externship at a plastic surgery office and I shadowed the surgeon at various hospitals. Surgical Teching looked absolutely interesting. I fell in love with Surgery, but observing and actually doing are two different things!

justme in Fredericksburg, Virginia

31 months ago

I am considering becoming a surgicl scrub tech. Just left an RN program. Did not care for it...any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

maltmom3 in Clearfield, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

I too have worked as an LPN for 24 years, last 8 in GI office. Now Im looking at scrub tech as a change. My kids are grown, hubby looking to retire in 5 years. I am looking for guidance from those LPNs who have changed their career paths to CST. I am so SICK of mean,grouchy, belittling MDS!!! If this is what Im in for in the OR, then maybe Ive chosen the wrong field. Looking for honest upfront advice. The school will cost me 28000.00 for 16 months,travel of 100 miles per day for the duration of school. I live in a very rural area of NW Penna, 3 hospitals and one OP surgical unit to apply to.

Marie in Rochester, New York

25 months ago

Meg in Spencerport, New York said: Well, I contacted Unity Hospital and they do hire LPNs and train them for scrub tech positions. I talked to a friend of mine who did that exact thing and she loves it! You do have to agree to work day/ evening shifts and are on call on weekends on a rotating basis (if you are on call you have to be able to be scrubbed and ready to go within a half hour of being called in ) So. . . I am still thinking it over - they don't ask for a formal committment once you are trained but its kind of understood that you owe the hospital some time after they train you.

Highland hires LPN's to train as scrub tech's as well. In fact, from what I have seen they'd much rather hire an LPN than graduates from the REOC program.

Gina in Roseburg, Oregon

24 months ago

Could you tell me why you left the RN program. I am almost done with my pre requisites and next year will be applying for the RN program. I also want to be in the surgical field (OR) scrub nurse or a Nurse anesthestist. Thank you in advance for your reply.
I would

justme in Fredericksburg, Virginia said: I am considering becoming a surgicl scrub tech. Just left an RN program. Did not care for it...any advice?

yvonnephilippines in West Palm Beach, Florida

23 months ago

gisquid in Fort Myers, Florida said: I am a Surgical Technition (CST). Not an LPN. I have worked with a few Surgical Techs who are LPN's and they are fantastic at both surgical assisting and surgical nursing. They are loved by their co-workers and they never get mistreated by their employers. They were trained on the job in the OR. Have you any interest in working in the OR?? I love it! I would never work on the floors doing beside patient care! Ask to come inside the OR and find out for yourself what it's like! Maybe this is what your looking for?

HI, I am a BS Nursing graduate from Philippines. I love too working inside the OR but i dnt know if am qualified for this job coz i dnt have any certification yet.

angelornot in Spanaway, Washington

18 months ago

John in Wausau, Wisconsin said: I have been an LPN for nearly 14 years now. I have seen the LPN role decline from a respected professional to a glorified CNA . I have seen the LPN career opprotunities dwindle to be the point where performing the role of a nurse barely exists. LPNs are now relegated to take tech jobs in a healthcare setting where their abilities and skills are ignored and the responsibilities are downsized so as not to compete with what an RN can do. The opprotunities are limited by the letters behind your name. In just about every other profession there is advancement and promotion, but not for the LPN regardless of further education and time in the profession. The LPN will always be a second class nurse in the eyes of those who hire them.

I have been hearing about the nursing shortage for my entire healthcare career of 25+ years, yet they ignore the LPN as the answer to their dilemma. I think that rather than relegate the LPN profession to being some type of healthcare tech they should allow on the job training of LPNs to RN and do away with the LPN ECT.....

John I agree with most of what you have written, except as an LPN there are many opportunities to work in a hospitial enviroment. For instance I work in the military system. I work on a L&D unit and LPNS are hired in the NICU, med surg ect. We do train to be a fill in scrub for C-Sections and they are not hiring ORT Tech to replace so the LPN is to assume the role and perform both jobs. The only difference between an LPN and RN at this hospital is we cant push narcs, or hang blood (but we can take over immediatly) So there is hope other than LTC, but it only takes 3 QTRS (plus any pre-reqs)to bridge to an RN. If you have the time and money go for it!!! Gain the respect you dont get as an LPN :))

sarah in Saint Cloud, Minnesota

12 months ago

keith in Lakeland, Florida said: I just graduated and have been a scrub tech for 2 months and I hate it. Doctors camplain and want you to be super fast so they can get their 8 or 9 cases done for the day. They give you and the nurse grief if you screw up and even tried to blame you for something they did. Long hours. Lot of cursing that goes on in the OR. I wouldn't recommend this job for anyone unless you are a high strong personality and love to put up with crap all day. Lot of standing!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, being a Surgical Technician. Yes you occasionally get the surgeon that "thinks" he is God and will have temper tantrums like a child, but if you are paying attention, one step ahead of the doc, knowing what to do if something goes wrong.. its awesome. At least until I hurt my back. If you have back issues at all Surgical Tech is not a good area to work in. I went back to school and graduated in May for LPN..just gotta take boards yet, which I think is ridiculous as obviously we know it, we just graduated! UGH! Plus the Surgical tech background helped in nursing school (which sucked)!!! but surg tech will also look great on your resume! :)

sarah in Saint Cloud, Minnesota

12 months ago

sarah in Saint Cloud, Minnesota said: I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, being a Surgical Technician. Yes you occasionally get the surgeon that "thinks" he is God and will have temper tantrums like a child, but if you are paying attention, one step ahead of the doc, knowing what to do if something goes wrong.. its awesome. At least until I hurt my back. If you have back issues at all Surgical Tech is not a good area to work in. I went back to school and graduated in May for LPN.

Keith, Wanted to add, not jumping on you ok? Just try to give it a little more time. You had said you had only been working for 2 months? Yes that is a horrible period. EVERYBODY is testing you. What I did, find out what your schedule is for the next day; cases, then just study up a little paying close attention to special instruments etc... Also does your employer have special case cards for each docs preferences? Like what pick ups they like, etc...
Helped me a alot! Especially when my first in house on call case came in, AAA...rupturing... YIKES!!! Talk about panic and blank stare for a couple seconds then it all kicked in. YOU CAN DO IT!
:)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.