JOBS FOR NURSES IN RECOVERY

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 144)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

DEB in Independence, Ohio

72 months ago

I'M A RECOVERING NURSE AND HAVE BEEN RE-INSTATED WITH THE BOARD. I'VE BEEN SOBER 5-1/2 YRS AND AM SEEKING A JOB. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF AN EMPLOYER WHO HIRES NURSES IN RECOVERY WITH RESTRICTIONS ON THEIR LICENSE ON PROBATIONARY TERMS? I'M LOOKING FOR A HOSPITAL JOB BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE I'D BEST FIT IN WITH MY RESTRICTIONS. I CAN GIVE MEDS EXCLUDING NARCOTICS FOR 5 YRS. I COMPLETED A REFRESHER COURSE. THE PROBATION REQUIRES MY EMPLOYER TO FILL OUT A PERFORMANCE EVALUATION FORM EVERY 4 MONTHS...THAT'S REALLY IT. SUGGESTIONS WOULD REALLY BE APPRECIATED! OH AND IF YOU ARE STRUGGLING WITH CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY GET HELP. THE CONSEQUENCES CAN BE DEVASTATIING. LIFE IS SO MUCH BETTER THIS WAY! I COULD NOT STOP ON MY OWN. THE BOARD OF NURSING AND PHARMACY INTERVENED AND THE RAMIFICATIONS OF MY ACTIONS WILL BE WITH ME FOR A LONG TIME! I'M TRULY BLESSED AND GRATEFUL FOR A SECOND CHANCE. BEING A NURSE IS TRULY A PRIVILEGE. IF YOU ARE SICK AND STRUGGLING THERE IS HELP OUT THERE FOR YOU! WHEN I BECAME A NURSE I CERTAINLY DID NOT INTEND TO BECOME AN ADDICT! IT'S A TERRIBLE FATAL DISEASE. THANKS FOR ANY INPUT. I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in Dover, Ohio

71 months ago

Good luck on your job search........i too am a recovering nurse with a narcotic addiction. I feel your pain, and echo every one of your thoughts regarding getting help and having a second chance. My license is currently suspended and I have no way of knowing if and when i will get it reinstated. I truly loved my job and the profession of nursing and long to help others. But I have faith in god, and my own inner strength to know that some day I will be a nurse again. Having your nursing license is truly a privilage, one that should never be taken for granted. I pray for us all.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Becca in Mcdonough, Georgia

71 months ago

I'm so proud of you - I commend you both and wish you well. No matter what happens, don't give up!! Nursing is really about being fortunate enough to get paid for caring for others. When you are called to do it, the way will open, whether in bedside nursing or another capacity. Only believe, rebuke frustration, and remain persistent!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

changeme

59 months ago

I need help. Is there a nurses support group anywhere??? If not, we should start one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kbaybolpn in Saint Louis, Missouri

58 months ago

I finished probation in 2005 for fraudulent scripts, but since my name hit the nursing paper everybody knew my situation. I did get jobs in nursing homes but if narc's came up missing I was always to blame. I became the "cover" for nurses who were diverting meds to just go crazy! The safest place I found was home health, non narcotic cases. You still get to do the job you love and stay away from temptation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

this is a great time to make extra money with flu clinics, consider agancies that do public/private health screenings. Nursing pay to do BPs, fingersticks, BMI... Summit Health, even some Home Health companies like Maxim. If not this year, can get set up for next year. Just keep loving, keep looking, keep learning, and Keep Your Head Up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

BTW We don't have anything available in Georgia that I'm aware of though there are some progressive states that have support groups. Here is a link to a list of support groups in California www.rn.ca.gov/pdfs/diversion/nsglist.pdf

There is some excellent info on their diversion program and support options.

Also, take a look at allnurses Nurses & Recovery support forum: allnurses.com/nurses-and-recovery/welcome-our-new-278262.html

Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jan in South Point, Ohio

50 months ago

DEB in Independence, Ohio said: I'M A RECOVERING NURSE AND HAVE BEEN RE-INSTATED WITH THE BOARD. I'VE BEEN SOBER 5-1/2 YRS AND AM SEEKING A JOB. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF AN EMPLOYER WHO HIRES NURSES IN RECOVERY WITH RESTRICTIONS ON THEIR LICENSE ON PROBATIONARY TERMS? I'M LOOKING FOR A HOSPITAL JOB BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE I'D BEST FIT IN WITH MY RESTRICTIONS. I CAN GIVE MEDS EXCLUDING NARCOTICS FOR 5 YRS. I COMPLETED A REFRESHER COURSE. THE PROBATION REQUIRES MY EMPLOYER TO FILL OUT A PERFORMANCE EVALUATION FORM EVERY 4 MONTHS...THAT'S REALLY IT. SUGGESTIONS WOULD REALLY BE APPRECIATED! OH AND IF YOU ARE STRUGGLING WITH CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY GET HELP. THE CONSEQUENCES CAN BE DEVASTATIING. LIFE IS SO MUCH BETTER THIS WAY! I COULD NOT STOP ON MY OWN. THE BOARD OF NURSING AND PHARMACY INTERVENED AND THE RAMIFICATIONS OF MY ACTIONS WILL BE WITH ME FOR A LONG TIME! I'M TRULY BLESSED AND GRATEFUL FOR A SECOND CHANCE. BEING A NURSE IS TRULY A PRIVILEGE. IF YOU ARE SICK AND STRUGGLING THERE IS HELP OUT THERE FOR YOU! WHEN I BECAME A NURSE I CERTAINLY DID NOT INTEND TO BECOME AN ADDICT! IT'S A TERRIBLE FATAL DISEASE. THANKS FOR ANY INPUT. I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!!!
I see that has been a long while since you posted this, did you have any success? I am now in search of a refresher course in order to be reinstated with the board. I am also licensed in Ohio. Any information with be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jan in South Point, Ohio

50 months ago

Jessica in Dover, Ohio said: Good luck on your job search........i too am a recovering nurse with a narcotic addiction. I feel your pain, and echo every one of your thoughts regarding getting help and having a second chance. My license is currently suspended and I have no way of knowing if and when i will get it reinstated. I truly loved my job and the profession of nursing and long to help others. But I have faith in god, and my own inner strength to know that some day I will be a nurse again. Having your nursing license is truly a privilage, one that should never be taken for granted. I pray for us all.....

Hello, I am also a recovering narcotic abuser and I am now at the point in reinstatement but I must complete a refreser course. Do you have any information that may help me and advice in searching for a job with an understanding of recovery and willing to work with us? Any information or advice will be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Becca in Lithonia, Georgia

50 months ago

Jan, consider home health until you get settled. You'll know up front what meds you'll need to give and can choose clients that can take (or have the family administer) any necessary narcotics on their own. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Natalie in Fayetteville, North Carolina

50 months ago

Becca in Lithonia, Georgia said: Jan, consider home health until you get settled. You'll know up front what meds you'll need to give and can choose clients that can take (or have the family administer) any necessary narcotics on their own. Good luck!

In North Carolina and in many states, home health care is a restricted area to work in while in a recovery program!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Anderson, South Carolina

49 months ago

Does anyone know of LPN positions in anderson, sc?

JB in Anderson, South Carolina

49 months ago

Does anyone know of LPN positions in Anderson, SC for nurses in recovery?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tt, Indiana in Louisville, Kentucky

48 months ago

Hello, I'm a lpn and a recently recovering addict. I never lost my licence, but I think that's because no one had hard evidence... I'm very thankful that I was able to identify my problem and get help on my own before that. My problem is I took 6months went thru rehab, got right etc. Now I can not get a job NO WHERE! I've been black listed?????? Any one any help please!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

ksk in Broadview Heights, Ohio

47 months ago

tt, Indiana in Louisville, Kentucky said: Hello, I'm a lpn and a recently recovering addict. I never lost my licence, but I think that's because no one had hard evidence... I'm very thankful that I was able to identify my problem and get help on my own before that. My problem is I took 6months went thru rehab, got right etc. Now I can not get a job NO WHERE! I've been black listed?????? Any one any help please!

It might help for you to get an attorney to find out what exactly happened with your license.....if you didn't get in trouble, how is it that your name appears anywhere? Sometimes its not that we're addicts, its other issues regarding our presentation, appearance, resumae. Consider a job coach or at least read up on the politics of getting a new job....how to dress, resume' ideas etc. It helps to have someone else (that is on our side) look at our stuff to see if anything is misspelled or has poor grammar involved. I've been a nurse for 20 years, have taught at the university level and think I'm pretty good at spelling so if I can be of help, you could send me your stuff. I'm now into my second second year of drug/alcohol free after a relapse that occurred during my 11th year of sobriety in 2005. It has been a long road back. Take care and good luck! AA mtgs. help or NA mtgs.they are essential. Isolation is the enemy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DEBBIE in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

47 months ago

I, TOO, AM CONCERNED.

SOME OF YOUR STATEMENTS SEEM TO BE WRITTEN IN PAST TENSE. ONCE WE ARE ADDICTS, WE ARE NEVER "CURED". I'M HAPPY THAT YOU HAD NO LEGAL TROUBLE, BUT SOMEHOW (THE BOARD) SOMEONE KNOWS ABOUT YOUR HISTORY.

I'VE FOUND IT TO BE VERY TRICKY...KNOWING WHAT TO SAY AND WHAT NOT TO SAY AT AN INTERVIEW. I HAVE TO SHARE SOMETHING BECAUSE I HAVE RESTRICTIONS. YOU DON'T HAVE TO "CONFESS" ANYTHING! THAT'S WHAT YOUR SPONSOR AND THE STEPS OF RECOVERY ARE FOR. KEEP IT SIMPLE..."I HAD SOME TROUBLE. I WAS ILL. I GOT SOME HELP AND GOT BETTER".

GOOD LUCK. I FEEL IN MY HEART YOU HAVE TO BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF. THERE ARE SEVERAL DIFFERENT WAYS THE BOARD "PUNISHES" US. (IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT TO CALL IT). IT CAN, AND WILL GET MUCH WORSE IF YOU DO NOT NIP THIS THING IN THE BUD. PRAYER, MEETINGS, HELPING OTHERS ARE A FEW IMPORTANT TOOLS THAT HELP ME. WE CAN FOOL OTHERS FOR ONLY SO LONG. IT WILL CATCH UP WITH US EVENTUALLY...IT ALWAYS DOES! I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO JAIL. GOD HAS GRACED ME WITH THAT SECOND CHANCE. IF I'M DOING SOMETHING WRONG TODAY I CAN FEEL IT- I CALL IT MY "GOD-CONSCIENCE". IF I'M NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG, MY HEART FEELS ALOT LIGHTER AND I HAVE A WHOLE LOT MORE TO GIVE!

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS YOU.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brenda.cook in Columbia, South Carolina

47 months ago

I have been looking for a LPN position for 16 months and have not been sucessful. I am willing to work in any setting and I will work as a CNA , unit seceretary, marketing, etc. My daughter and I will be homeless soon if something doesnt happen soon. I have 25 plus years experienc. If there is anything out there , please email me at cook.brenda53@yahoo.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Needworkbad in Ohio

44 months ago

DEB in Independence, Ohio said: I'M A RECOVERING NURSE AND HAVE BEEN RE-INSTATED WITH THE BOARD. I'VE BEEN SOBER 5-1/2 YRS AND AM SEEKING A JOB. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF AN EMPLOYER WHO HIRES NURSES IN RECOVERY WITH RESTRICTIONS ON THEIR LICENSE ON PROBATIONARY TERMS? I'M LOOKING FOR A HOSPITAL JOB BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE I'D BEST FIT IN WITH MY RESTRICTIONS. I CAN GIVE MEDS EXCLUDING NARCOTICS FOR 5 YRS. I COMPLETED A REFRESHER COURSE. THE PROBATION REQUIRES MY EMPLOYER TO FILL OUT A PERFORMANCE EVALUATION FORM EVERY 4 MONTHS...THAT'S REALLY IT. SUGGESTIONS WOULD REALLY BE APPRECIATED! OH AND IF YOU ARE STRUGGLING WITH CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY GET HELP. THE CONSEQUENCES CAN BE DEVASTATIING. LIFE IS SO MUCH BETTER THIS WAY! I COULD NOT STOP ON MY OWN. THE BOARD OF NURSING AND PHARMACY INTERVENED AND THE RAMIFICATIONS OF MY ACTIONS WILL BE WITH ME FOR A LONG TIME! I'M TRULY BLESSED AND GRATEFUL FOR A SECOND CHANCE. BEING A NURSE IS TRULY A PRIVILEGE. IF YOU ARE SICK AND STRUGGLING THERE IS HELP OUT THERE FOR YOU! WHEN I BECAME A NURSE I CERTAINLY DID NOT INTEND TO BECOME AN ADDICT! IT'S A TERRIBLE FATAL DISEASE. THANKS FOR ANY INPUT. I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!!!

I am required to attend a refresher course, I see that you stated you attended one. Could you let me know where? The problem I am having is finding one approved by the OBN and one that will allow me to do clinicals, I have a felony on my record, so I am having issues with that. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

angrywithmyself in Litchfield, Connecticut

42 months ago

Hi everyone. I was wondering is there a program out there just for recovering nurses? I'm scared to ask for help. I finally just made the first step this week and told my husband about my narcotic problem. I've been on pain medications for so long... but i've been taking way more medications then I should and in ways that I shouldn't. Anyone with a problem knows what i'm talking about.. crush and injecting. I dont know what to do. I still have ligitimate pain, (I had brain surgery 2 months ago and had a shunt placed for pseudotumor cerebri) Any ideas would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

katkk in Brecksville, Ohio

41 months ago

ksk in Broadview Heights, Ohio said: It might help for you to get an attorney to find out what exactly happened with your license.....if you didn't get in trouble, how is it that your name appears anywhere? Sometimes its not that we're addicts, its other issues regarding our presentation, appearance, resumae. Consider a job coach or at least read up on the politics of getting a new job....how to dress, resume' ideas etc. It helps to have someone else (that is on our side) look at our stuff to see if anything is misspelled or has poor grammar involved. I've been a nurse for 20 years, have taught at the university level and think I'm pretty good at spelling so if I can be of help, you could send me your stuff. I'm now into my second second year of drug/alcohol free after a relapse that occurred during my 11th year of sobriety in 2005. It has been a long road back. Take care and good luck! AA mtgs. help or NA mtgs.they are essential. Isolation is the enemy!

Hi, I live near you and really need some help and advice in getting back to work. I just had my license reinstated and so far, no job offers/interview after numerous applications submitted. I NEED to start working again for dire financial reasons. This is so hard. I feel isolated from other nurses after the treatment center I went to would not allow me to participate in their nurses group due to medication I take. I'd appreciate any help or advice you can give me. thanks

41 months ago

DEBBIE in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio said: I, TOO, AM CONCERNED.

SOME OF YOUR STATEMENTS SEEM TO BE WRITTEN IN PAST TENSE. ONCE WE ARE ADDICTS, WE ARE NEVER "CURED". I'M HAPPY THAT YOU HAD NO LEGAL TROUBLE, BUT SOMEHOW (THE BOARD) SOMEONE KNOWS ABOUT YOUR HISTORY.

I'VE FOUND IT TO BE VERY TRICKY...KNOWING WHAT TO SAY AND WHAT NOT TO SAY AT AN INTERVIEW. I HAVE TO SHARE SOMETHING BECAUSE I HAVE RESTRICTIONS. YOU DON'T HAVE TO "CONFESS" ANYTHING! THAT'S WHAT YOUR SPONSOR AND THE STEPS OF RECOVERY ARE FOR. KEEP IT SIMPLE..."I HAD SOME TROUBLE. I WAS ILL. I GOT SOME HELP AND GOT BETTER".

GOOD LUCK. I FEEL IN MY HEART YOU HAVE TO BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF. THERE ARE SEVERAL DIFFERENT WAYS THE BOARD "PUNISHES" US. (IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT TO CALL IT). IT CAN, AND WILL GET MUCH WORSE IF YOU DO NOT NIP THIS THING IN THE BUD. PRAYER, MEETINGS, HELPING OTHERS ARE A FEW IMPORTANT TOOLS THAT HELP ME. WE CAN FOOL OTHERS FOR ONLY SO LONG. IT WILL CATCH UP WITH US EVENTUALLY...IT ALWAYS DOES! I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO JAIL. GOD HAS GRACED ME WITH THAT SECOND CHANCE. IF I'M DOING SOMETHING WRONG TODAY I CAN FEEL IT- I CALL IT MY "GOD-CONSCIENCE". IF I'M NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG, MY HEART FEELS ALOT LIGHTER AND I HAVE A WHOLE LOT MORE TO GIVE!

Hi, I know I'm a little late but I agree that, "honesty is the best policy". If I had "self-reported" after my first treatment for addiction, I probably wouldn't have relapsed a month later.

I'm looking for work in the Cleveland/Akron area. Debbie, do you know of any "recovery" friendly places to work. I'm a good, even great nurse when well. I was really sick. At times, it does feel like a punishment from the board all of these hoops and such to jump through....and, maybe it is if I want to see it that way. Your post has helped me to remember to count my lucky stars, thank my HP that the board is EVEN dealing with me and that I'm among the living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Oh, and Debbie, thank you for reminding me that an interview is not a "tell all". I tend to disclose way too much. I wish I could talk to you more. I hope you post again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

angrywithmyself in Litchfield, Connecticut said: Hi everyone. I was wondering is there a program out there just for recovering nurses? I'm scared to ask for help. I finally just made the first step this week and told my husband about my narcotic problem. I've been on pain medications for so long... but i've been taking way more medications then I should and in ways that I shouldn't. Anyone with a problem knows what i'm talking about.. crush and injecting. I dont know what to do. I still have ligitimate pain, (I had brain surgery 2 months ago and had a shunt placed for pseudotumor cerebri) Any ideas would be appreciated.

It is so good that you disclosed your problem to someone. Your husband may not be qualified though to give you the best help. At worst, he may start to use this against you in some way. He has been affected in ways we can't understand by your (our addiction). In other words, he is sick too. I know you have legitimate pain. These narcs though work in a way that fools the body into thinking it needs more more more. Some even think that we perceive pain differently from others when addicts and when taking narcs in general. I know for instance that pains that really never bothered me became bigger than life during my active addiction. That's the brain at work trying to get "more". Seek professional help. The Cleveland Clinic has an excellent program that will not only treat your pain but your addiction to. If you aren't in this area I'm sure there are other hospitals with programs similar. If you want to research the CC program, the doctor's name is Covington. He has published a ton on these subjects. Please do the right and best thing for you and get professional help. Be well, stay strong and remember, YOU ARE NOT ALONE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Oh, Cleveland Clinic and Glenbeigh Hospital (Rock Creek, OH) both have programs specialized for healthcare workers, nurses, docs. About being angry with yourself, don't let that stand in the way of getting the right help. You can deal with all of the self-hate we have later. When you start to beat up on yourself say, "addiction is a disease" and" I wouldn't get mad at myself if I had any other disease". That can help break the cycle of negative thoughts we have about ourselves. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jen in Troy, Ohio

40 months ago

Have any of you found a job yet? It's next to impossible around here. I left work with a pill in my pocket that I forgot to waste, and I admitted to it. The truth got me into big trouble. They had me come into work 8 hrs. later and take a drug screen and I passed. DON said that she had to report it to OBN. They gave me 4mo. suspension on my license, 6 mo.narc. restrictions 3 yrs. probation, ceu's,conscent agreement has to be given to every employer and any dr.s. I have to attend 1 n/a meeting per week and do the random call in everyday for 3yrs. for drug screens. I've had intereviews but when they find out about restrictions they say it's against co. policy. I even applied for stna jobs and am told the same thing.My complaince mamager doesn't know what she's talking about half the time. I been on probation 1 yr., doing meetings and call in everyday an she says it don't start until I get a job. I've already done 17 drug screens at 41.00 a test. THIS SUCKS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Verboten in Elizabeth, Colorado

39 months ago

I am in a similar boat, i.e., probation. I think that we all need to talk. Email please. allan@mesanetworks.net

jan in South Point, Ohio

39 months ago

Needworkbad in Ohio said: I am required to attend a refresher course, I see that you stated you attended one. Could you let me know where? The problem I am having is finding one approved by the OBN and one that will allow me to do clinicals, I have a felony on my record, so I am having issues with that. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Have you had any luck with this yet? I have some information that might help you. Do you have an email address to share and I can contact you?

jan in South Point, Ohio

39 months ago

jen in Troy, Ohio said: Have any of you found a job yet? It's next to impossible around here. I left work with a pill in my pocket that I forgot to waste, and I admitted to it. The truth got me into big trouble. They had me come into work 8 hrs. later and take a drug screen and I passed. DON said that she had to report it to OBN. They gave me 4mo. suspension on my license, 6 mo.narc. restrictions 3 yrs. probation, ceu's,conscent agreement has to be given to every employer and any dr.s. I have to attend 1 n/a meeting per week and do the random call in everyday for 3yrs. for drug screens. I've had intereviews but when they find out about restrictions they say it's against co. policy. I even applied for stna jobs and am told the same thing.My complaince mamager doesn't know what she's talking about half the time. I been on probation 1 yr., doing meetings and call in everyday an she says it don't start until I get a job. I've already done 17 drug screens at 41.00 a test. THIS SUCKS!

Jen, I can so sympathize with you...Im in exactly the same boat and your agreement sounds exactly like mine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Troy, Ohio

39 months ago

jan in South Point, Ohio said: Have you had any luck with this yet? I have some information that might help you. Do you have an email address to share and I can contact you?

Jan in South Point Ohio,
Get your felony record sealed.

Jen in Troy, Ohio

39 months ago

Becca in Lithonia, Georgia said: Jan, consider home health until you get settled. You'll know up front what meds you'll need to give and can choose clients that can take (or have the family administer) any necessary narcotics on their own. Good luck!

In Ohio we're not allowed to do home health w/ restrictions.

just me in Huntington, West Virginia

38 months ago

I was told that you must wait three years after you get off probation to do that, per my attorney.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Determend To Succeed! in Canton, Ohio

38 months ago

My back ground check is clear, however ex-relatives (nurses) reported a childhood exspungement to OBN because I sent one of their husband to prison for molesting children! He was also caught on school grounds masterbating years prior to the exposure of immediate family members molestation, his wife a(nurse)kept incident on school grounds a secret from family. I have completed the 2yrs of probation & phone calling lab. I have been sober 23yrs now yet my license is tagged from minor conviction. The OBN stated that I should have told them about the expungement. I didn't answer the question yes or no I left it blank. They revoked old license & gave me new ones with taggs from my childhood. Desperately looking for work, experienced in areas such as Vent-respiratory,Skilled Nursing,MRDD,Alzheimers, & Wounds since 2001.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Warren, Ohio

37 months ago

Any luck yet? I am in the same boat restrictions and all. I love being a nurse and I know in sobriety and faith in my higher power i will work again.

Soopa Noyse in Parker, Colorado

37 months ago

Hi, I am also on
"probation", which will never start becuz no one will hire me. I have a great reputation in my area but was dropped by my employer like a hot potato when the board came to a decision. It's really sad. I would like to bring about some board reform because I think the whole process is very arbitrary. Let me know what you think.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

AutiB in Wesley Chapel, Florida

35 months ago

I have a 2 year contract (able to finish in 1). The catch is I have to be monitored working that 1 year. I've been looking for a job for 5 months and been offered many positions and had them withdraw the oppertunity as soon as I say I'm in IPN. Florida IPN will not allow their nurses to work in home health. I've even asked to volunteer and have been turned down for this too. I've about exhausted all avenue's and about to turn in the towel. IPN is just so nasty to talk to and won't give any advice. I just can't keep paying for these drug tests and my nurse support groups much longer. I wish I would have chose a different career. There were nurses stealing drugs were I was working and they drug tested the whole floor. I had just came back from vacay and tested positive for THC. I became pregnant with twins during my IPN 1st round and had to surrender my license because I was placed on home health (hyperemesis) with a pic line. I could not do what was expected of me. This was in 2002. So, the BON disciplined me and took away my license for 5 years. When I reapplied I had to take a nurses refresher course,complete IOP-after care again. I don't know if I got the 2 year contract because of the time lapse or because my urine and hair were all negative for drugs.I have no key restriction either. I'm just tired of reliving that vacay every day!

jss in Lebanon, Ohio

32 months ago

jen in Troy, Ohio said: Have any of you found a job yet? It's next to impossible around here. I left work with a pill in my pocket that I forgot to waste, and I admitted to it. The truth got me into big trouble. They had me come into work 8 hrs. later and take a drug screen and I passed. DON said that she had to report it to OBN. They gave me 4mo. suspension on my license, 6 mo.narc. restrictions 3 yrs. probation, ceu's,conscent agreement has to be given to every employer and any dr.s. I have to attend 1 n/a meeting per week and do the random call in everyday for 3yrs. for drug screens. I've had intereviews but when they find out about restrictions they say it's against co. policy. I even applied for stna jobs and am told the same thing.My complaince mamager doesn't know what she's talking about half the time. I been on probation 1 yr., doing meetings and call in everyday an she says it don't start until I get a job. I've already done 17 drug screens at 41.00 a test. THIS SUCKS!

I know what you mean. Sounds like you have pretty much the same consent agreement as I do. We have so many hoops to jump through and money to pay for the test, refresher courses etc. but yet no body will hire us. What can we do. I am about ready to give up on nursing, which totally sucks.

Soopa Noyse in Castle Rock, Colorado

32 months ago

AutiB in Wesley Chapel, Florida said: I have a 2 year contract (able to finish in 1). The catch is I have to be monitored working that 1 year. I've been looking for a job for 5 months and been offered many positions and had them withdraw the oppertunity as soon as I say I'm in IPN. Florida IPN will not allow their nurses to work in home health. I've even asked to volunteer and have been turned down for this too. I've about exhausted all avenue's and about to turn in the towel. IPN is just so nasty to talk to and won't give any advice. I just can't keep paying for these drug tests and my nurse support groups much longer. I wish I would have chose a different career. There were nurses stealing drugs were I was working and they drug tested the whole floor. I had just came back from vacay and tested positive for THC. I became pregnant with twins during my IPN 1st round and had to surrender my license because I was placed on home health (hyperemesis) with a pic line. I could not do what was expected of me. This was in 2002. So, the BON disciplined me and took away my license for 5 years. When I reapplied I had to take a nurses refresher course,complete IOP-after care again. I don't know if I got the 2 year contract because of the time lapse or because my urine and hair were all negative for drugs.I have no key restriction either. I'm just tired of reliving that vacay every day!

I've experienced the same nonsense. they know what they're doing. they're just playing a legal game. Let's get a national campaign going. this is worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AutiB in Wesley Chapel, Florida

32 months ago

I did find a job. I looked for 7 months. I was hired at a drug rehab! I had to get it authorized thru IPN but they ok'd it. Now my contract has started. I have til next October to be finished with IPN. I am writing the legislature and Gov. due to the BOH posting my info on the internet for everyone to read. All I did was smoke pot on a vacation and they feel the need to "protect the public" from nurse's like me by posting it on WWW?! Come on!!! What about all these nurses the BOH doesn't know about that STOLE DRUGS,HIGH ON THE JOB etc?.
Changes need to be made and quickly and I'm going to do what I have to and make it happen!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rhonda7113 in Brookville, Ohio

30 months ago

every time i do get a job the ohio board of nursing probation lady i have talks so bad about me and puts me down.She tells me its not our job to help you.Its our job to try and take your license cause if i didnt i wouldnt have a job.I am on probation for missing mar squares.5 of them in 7 months....three yrs probation...its been three yrs...i still cant get a job..the board wont lift it..wont give me a meeting..they dont care...i get a job they shoot it down....im so upset about it..i ended up homeless ,lost my kids and struggled for two yrs...im a stna now...but my boss wants to hire me as a nurse.marion at the board said a r.n has to stand by my side for 6 months everyday.before she would let them hire me...no facility can afford to have a r.n follow me around for 6 months.She knows what she is doing ...its not right ...it says nothing in my probation papers that this has to do done...but theres nothing i can do...but get a lawyer...and i dont have 5 grand....ohio board of nursing ...well my probation lady is out for blood...shes the coldest lady i have ever met....all this for 5 squares.to top this all off...this happen 11 yrs ago and the board just decided to do this three yrs ago...now my three yrs of probation is up and marion still wont give me a chance to be a nurse...our system really is unjust...this is not even a narc situation at all....this is not how i dreamed my life would be as a nurse..my dream as a liitle girl to be a nurse was a fairytale.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

griffsb in Akron, Ohio

30 months ago

I've gone through and read all your comments and it makes me pretty nervous. Next week I'll be entering rehab. I was caught diverting 41 Percocet over a period of 6 months and was fired from my job I had been at for 11 years. I've also been legitimately involved with Pain Mgmt for some chronic medical problems for 5 yrs. It's now a criminal case as well. So there's a lot to deal with, but it's a mess of my own making. I have faith in my ability to recover, but it's afterward that I'm worried about. I read about all of you having trouble finding a job and many of you don't have charges as serious as mine. It seems like Ohio has no help or support for addicted nurses....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Soopa Noyse in Elizabeth, Colorado

30 months ago

You're not kidding. It's a bad deal. But we need others to see why some of these things are happening. they shouldn't be able to do this to those that did nothing really wrong.

concernedmom in Palm Desert, California

30 months ago

My daughter is on probation because of her alcoholism. She is now homeless and needs a job desperately. How can she get a job in while her nursing license has a probationary stamp on it? Help!!!!!

Bill in Warren, Ohio

30 months ago

griffsb in Akron, Ohio said: I've gone through and read all your comments and it makes me pretty nervous. Next week I'll be entering rehab. I was caught diverting 41 Percocet over a period of 6 months and was fired from my job I had been at for 11 years. I've also been legitimately involved with Pain Mgmt for some chronic medical problems for 5 yrs. It's now a criminal case as well. So there's a lot to deal with, but it's a mess of my own making. I have faith in my ability to recover, but it's afterward that I'm worried about. I read about all of you having trouble finding a job and many of you don't have charges as serious as mine. It seems like Ohio has no help or support for addicted nurses....

I am in Ohio also with a consent agreement, felony drug theft conviction, daily call in for screens, narc restrictions. very difficult to find a job when you are honest up front, and you have to be, when there are nurses with no restrictions or convictions. I kept hanging around the treatment center where I went into recovery and they encouraged me to get a chemical dependency counselor assistant certification so they could hire me. I did get a job in another treatment center in Cleveland as a couselor and they are going to help me work through my restrictions and probations and put me on as an LPN. the most important thing is recovery and trust in your higher power and whatever is supposed to happen will happen. Do not give up. The OBN needs to reach out to employers and demonstrate they have faith in our recovery and that we deserve a second chance and until that happens we are on or own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Soopa Noyse in Parker, Colorado

30 months ago

She will have to search in every place possible. Hospitals usually just hire anyone like us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bcohee001@yahoo.com in Dayton, Ohio

30 months ago

Hi Deb,I am 3 months into urine testing for the Ohio Board of Nursing.Once I get my license back I will have a 3 month narc restriction.Any suggestions about employment would be appreciated.

griffsb in Akron, Ohio

30 months ago

Does anyone have any experience with being on Suboxone? Will any place even hire you if you are on that? I start my induction process next week and the doctor told me I would be on it 11/2-3 yrs? Apparently because I was in pain mgmt and taking narcotics for so long. I worked L&D for 11 years and I have to say, I miss it. But I'll probably never get anyone to hire me again in that field.

dizzylizzy in Seattle, Washington

29 months ago

AutiB in Wesley Chapel, Florida said: I did find a job. I looked for 7 months. I was hired at a drug rehab! I had to get it authorized thru IPN but they ok'd it. Now my contract has started. I have til next October to be finished with IPN. I am writing the legislature and Gov. due to the BOH posting my info on the internet for everyone to read. All I did was smoke pot on a vacation and they feel the need to "protect the public" from nurse's like me by posting it on WWW?! Come on!!! What about all these nurses the BOH doesn't know about that STOLE DRUGS,HIGH ON THE JOB etc?.
Changes need to be made and quickly and I'm going to do what I have to and make it happen!

My first job back was at a county medical detox. From there I was able to get on at a hospital at their detox./ I did work for 2 years or so on on teley and step down.I am back to the hospital's detox unit. I love the job. I was an ED RN for 10 + years. I do miss it at times, but done with trauma drama.
I also have a stip on my license.I am alcoholic- no diversion. I was reported by an angry exboyfriend1 But I really need to be here,.

griffsb in Akron, Ohio

29 months ago

DEBBIE in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio said: I, TOO, AM CONCERNED.

You are definitely right in saying we will always be a "recovering addict". It's a chronic illness that never goes away! I see you're from the Cuyahoga Falls, OH area. So am I. I was just wondering how things have gone for you now that you're clean. I'm newly clean-8 days of sobriety! How was your job search? Where you able to find a job? How was your experience with the BON? Thanks for any info you can or will share with me!

bethob in Belmont, Massachusetts

29 months ago

I have been lucky enough to find employment teaching medical assistants. I actually became the program chair at one school and was always looking for teachers who could teach medical terminology, pathophysiology and clinical skills.. check out some of the career schools around you and see if they are hiring

lauren in Fayetteville, North Carolina

29 months ago

Natalie in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: In North Carolina and in many states, home health care is a restricted area to work in while in a recovery program!

Hi Natalie, Did you find work? I am also in the same area? Please advise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.