Who's having a problem finding LPN work as a recent grad with no experience?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

All Potential in Sterling Heights, Michigan

26 months ago

Ok, I thought that becoming a nurse (whether it be an RN or LPN) would generate enthusiasm from prospective employers, even if the candidate doesn't have experience. I'm a recent grad who just passed the NCLEX, and can't find a job to save my life. Every job ad says the same thing: 1 year of experience required. I thought that beggars can't be choosers. I guess that the medical community isn't as desperate as they're made out to be. Who would've thought that becoming a nurse would result in slammed doors everywhere. Comments anyone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Fayetteville, Georgia

26 months ago

Ive been an LPN for 8 years and the same thing happened to me when I first started until someone told me to go to an agency. Most employers dont advertise and have agencies find people for them. Alot of them dont mind new grads because they can pay them less. Also you may have to start at a nursing home. They say that they want one year experience but when they start getting short on staff and need help desperately or a body just to fill the spot they will hire anybody including new grads. I know it sounds bad but thats just the way it is. I hope that is helpfull. Im trying to get out of nursing myself and do medical coding. The work is to stressfull and physically demanding. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

All Potential in Rochester, Michigan

26 months ago

Angela in Fayetteville, Georgia said: Ive been an LPN for 8 years and the same thing happened to me when I first started until someone told me to go to an agency. Most employers dont advertise and have agencies find people for them. Alot of them dont mind new grads because they can pay them less. Also you may have to start at a nursing home. They say that they want one year experience but when they start getting short on staff and need help desperately or a body just to fill the spot they will hire anybody including new grads. I know it sounds bad but thats just the way it is. I hope that is helpfull. Im trying to get out of nursing myself and do medical coding. The work is to stressfull and physically demanding. Good Luck.

Thank you for the reply. I tried a few agencies, and got emails saying that the organizations they represent want one year of experience. Don't get me wrong.....I'm not about to give up. I certainly understand the rigors and stress level, because I got a taste of it in clinicals. I wish you well as you exit the profession and do something you truly enjoy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dlm in Detroit, Michigan

24 months ago

U ever thought about trying home healthcare til u find what u want. Personal Touch Home Healthcare Services based in Ypsilanti, MI. hire new lpns and they start out with $20-$21hr. walking in the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dlm in Detroit, Michigan

24 months ago

All Potential in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: Ok, I thought that becoming a nurse (whether it be an RN or LPN) would generate enthusiasm from prospective employers, even if the candidate doesn't have experience. I'm a recent grad who just passed the NCLEX, and can't find a job to save my life. Every job ad says the same thing: 1 year of experience required. I thought that beggars can't be choosers. I guess that the medical community isn't as desperate as they're made out to be. Who would've thought that becoming a nurse would result in slammed doors everywhere. Comments anyone?

U ever thought about trying home healthcare til u find what u want. Personal Touch Home Healthcare Services based in Ypsilanti, MI. hire new lpns and they start out with $20-$21hr. walking in the door. #seven three four-four eight zero- zero one two five.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

masp in Bronx, New York

24 months ago

In New York, Bronx I'm drowning , regretting , discouraged, .....can't find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jalums 50 in Rosedale, New York

24 months ago

I am a terrific nurse with excellent references. I have years of experience with the BEST references and still cannot find a job. I see people who do not have half the credentials that I have and they are hired. I studied very hard to become a LPN, I graduated June, 2010. I made over 1000 applications and to date I got "O" job. Talented, hardworking, trustworthy, Honest, all good but cannot find a LPN Job in NY. I am told I must have 2 years experience. I must start somewhere, I was a Teacher in my native country for years, I am no dummy, and the references here all outstanding, What is going on? I have not given up but I need a Job.Presently, I am working with an Agency for pittance and doing an Excellent Job. My Agency will attest to that. JF

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.