lpn - Rn excelsior

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 53)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Racheal in Atlanta, Georgia

76 months ago

Is there anyone in Atlanta, GA doing the lpn-Rn excelsior program if so can you please contact me at rachy29581@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Racheal in Atlanta, Georgia

76 months ago

If there is anyone who's a LPN doing the RN excelsior program please contact me at rachy29581@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sorry

75 months ago

check with your state board of nursing to see if the program is accepted and if you can sit for the boards when you complete the program. I heard that some state board of nursing no longer accept the program from them and college network. Be careful with some of those programs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Juliet in Baltimore, Maryland

73 months ago

Racheal in Atlanta, Georgia said: If there is anyone who's a LPN doing the RN excelsior program please contact me at rachy29581@yahoo.com

Yes, I live in Macon, GA. and am just two courses shy of completing my pre-requisites. I've already done several Excelsior credits, and was due to enroll in the program by end of October. I've been an LPN since 2/2003 and have worked intensively in Geriatrics, and Peds as well. I was introduced to the EC program by a Distance Learning College in Indiana which I've been paying for the tuition for the last two years.
I'm greatly disapointed by GA's decision, especially that I don't have time to attend a traditional program, but posses considerable "clinical hours". The big waiting lists due to high competitiveness in Nursing schools in GA. pushed me into this decision, and now it looks I'm back to the drawing board. I hope GA.'s action won't push most of us away to other states that recognize our experience as valid "clinical hours".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sorry

73 months ago

Juliet in Baltimore, Maryland said: Yes, I live in Macon, GA. and am just two courses shy of completing my pre-requisites. I've already done several Excelsior credits, and was due to enroll in the program by end of October. I've been an LPN since 2/2003 and have worked intensively in Geriatrics, and Peds as well. I was introduced to the EC program by a Distance Learning College in Indiana which I've been paying for the tuition for the last two years.
I'm greatly disapointed by GA's decision, especially that I don't have time to attend a traditional program, but posses considerable "clinical hours". The big waiting lists due to high competitiveness in Nursing schools in GA. pushed me into this decision, and now it looks I'm back to the drawing board. I hope GA.'s action won't push most of us away to other states that recognize our experience as valid "clinical hours".

what is the pay rate in nursing homes there? i am planning on relocating to aifferent state but would like to know the pay rate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Racheal in Atlanta, Georgia

73 months ago

I would not stop, but I would just hold out for a minute to see what is going to happen on 9/17-9/19/2008 that is when excelsior meets with GBON to discuss the alternatives.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michele in Olympia, Washington

73 months ago

my niece is in Georgia and is 2 classes from finishing her RN through Excelsior (she has been a LPN for years). I think it is crazy for Georgia to not recognize Excelsior, especially with all the previous clinical experience the students have. Considering the severe nursing shortage and the fact that the average age of a RN is 49, this decision makes no sense!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Marietta, Georgia

73 months ago

Is anyone going to the GBON meeting tomorrow, September 18, 2008? It is at one pm in Macon. The Ga Nurses Assoc. along with Excelsior is presenting a 30 minute presentation to persuade the Board to rescind their previous decision on excluding Excelsior graduates from licensing in Ga. Please e-mail me back at sbulman@rocketmail.com. Thanks, Susan

Racheal in Atlanta, Georgia said: If there is anyone who's a LPN doing the RN excelsior program please contact me at rachy29581@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sorry

73 months ago

Dear Susan,
How is the pay for LPN'S in Marietta,Ga. I am planning to move there this coming Feb. 2009. I have no idea what the pay is like or what shock I should be waiting to receive when I get there.Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Marietta, Georgia

73 months ago

sorry said: Dear Susan,
How is the pay for LPN'S in Marietta,Ga. I am planning to move there this coming Feb. 2009. I have no idea what the pay is like or what shock I should be waiting to receive when I get there.Thanks

The pay is low for LPN's here. You are looking at approximately $15.00 per hour. Are you with Excelsior College? The GBON has decided not to license the students with RN. There was a meeting today. I am not sure how that went. Take care and good luck with your move!
Susan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Latham, New York

73 months ago

I came in on the end of this conversation. Am I correct to assume that GA is thinking about not accepting Excelsior's RN program? I live about 10 minutes from Excelsior college and was actually thinking about checking into this program. This used to be the Regents College and it is a very reputable program for LPN's wanting to pursue their careers. Although you can never replace the hands on nursing classes you still have to learn the information in order to sit for the exams. Most hospitals, etc. require you to go through their initial training before allowing you to go on your own or at least that is what my experiences have been.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Marietta, Georgia

73 months ago

Dear Fellow LPN's,
Ga BON decided today (9/18/08) to do nothing regarding the July decision to deny Excelsior College nursing students from getting RN licesure in this state. The only bright spot for Excelsior students is that the Education Committee will look at this situation in October. This is sad considering the NLN selected Excelsior as an Excellence Center. Another fact is that Excelsior's nursing grads perform 3% higher on the NCLEX (compared with other Ga NCLEX scores). The State Board of NY does accept Excelsior nursing graduates. They only state that I know definately that does not license for Excelsior is California and now Georgia. In Florida, you must have an LPN background to receive RN licensure through Excelsior's program.
I am actually considering moving due to this issue. I have worked too hard and spent too much money on the RN program to be told, "no license". If you find yourself in the same situation, supposedly this decision affected over 1100 Excelsior nursing students, feel free to contact me at sbulman@rocketmail.com. I am willing to support any and all efforts to get the Ga BON to change their mind.
Take care of yourselves.
Susan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RN in Modesto, California

73 months ago

In October 2007, there was a meeting between the Florida Board of Nursing and Joseph Porter, Esquire for Excelsior College and Bridget Nettleton,Dean of Excelsior College.

" MR. PORTER: And if I could just build one little tiny piece of additional information, and I may have said it before, so forgive me. But we 3have nurses who’ve been qualified for licensure in all fifty states of the United States, so not only
New York state but all the other states. That was an agreement that we were able to reach because our students were able to become licensed in these other states and come to Florida and get endorsed in. So, virtually New York state which has I think a rigorous process analogous to yours makes the determination that when these people complete the program, they are qualified for licensure and they are licensed immediately, and so if that helps you."

The above statement which was from that meeting leads you to believe that Excelsior is accepted in every state and only Florida requires endorsement. I know this isn't true, but that's how it reads.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RN in Modesto, California

73 months ago

"Board of Registered Nursing Prevails in Excelsior College Court Decision
(Court of Appeal of the State of California, C047824, (Super.Ct.No. 03CS01817))
SACRAMENTO – The California Board of Registered Nursing prevailed today in a state Court of Appeal decision upholding the BRN’s position that Excelsior College graduates, like other out-of state school graduates, must fulfill all California licensing requirements, including supervised clinical practice, in order to qualify for licensure as a registered nurse in California."
Excelsior college tried to sue the California BON and lost. The program does not meet California requirements for clinical time with supervision from qualified staff. In an effort to protect the public-California's BON does not accept Excelsior's education. I hope each Excelsior student is checking with their state's BON to see if their education will be accepted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sorry

73 months ago

Susan in Marietta, Georgia said: Dear Fellow LPN's,
Ga BON decided today (9/18/08) to do nothing regarding the July decision to deny Excelsior College nursing students from getting RN licesure in this state. The only bright spot for Excelsior students is that the Education Committee will look at this situation in October. This is sad considering the NLN selected Excelsior as an Excellence Center. Another fact is that Excelsior's nursing grads perform 3% higher on the NCLEX (compared with other Ga NCLEX scores). The State Board of NY does accept Excelsior nursing graduates. They only state that I know definately that does not license for Excelsior is California and now Georgia. In Florida, you must have an LPN background to receive RN licensure through Excelsior's program.
I am actually considering moving due to this issue. I have worked too hard and spent too much money on the RN program to be told, "no license". If you find yourself in the same situation, supposedly this decision affected over 1100 Excelsior nursing students, feel free to contact me at sbulman@rocketmail.com. I am willing to support any and all efforts to get the Ga BON to change their mind.
Take care of yourselves.
Susan

Thanks for the info. I was moving to your state to do the program because my state do not accept the Excelsior program. It's too cold in NY for me to go do the program. It's a shame that no matter what we try to do the BON intervenes.Many of us with years of exp. as a LPN will have to go and sit in a class and be taught stuff that we know do not happen in the real nursing world. Somebody need to help us for real.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Las Vegas, Nevada

72 months ago

Wow, recently I've benn looking into all the on-line programs to become an RN. They all seem to go through Excelsior College and I have not really found anything bad said about them. I was told by the rep. I met with from The College Network that NV does approve of excelsior training, but I'm wondering howmany other states do. I agree that the clinical aspect should not be such an issue since we have all been nursing as LPNs before even entering Excelsior. With the nursing shortage the way it is, I feel these Board of Nurses are being way too picky.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

simone in Las Vegas, Nevada

72 months ago

I am a 2007 graduate from exelsior ADN program, This program far exceeded my expectation, it is highly recommended, All staff were very professional and it was hassle free. I was an LPN for 8 years and tried many traditional program that was very difficult for me because I was a single parent and had to work overtime on a weekly basis to pay by bills and couldn't dedicate the time for those programs. Fortunately for me I was endorsed by the state of Georgia in January, I am now seeking endorsement in california and have heard many discrepancies concernig licensure of ecxcelsior grads. I was endorsed in nevada 2 months ago without any difficulty and is now employed in las vegas. most states do accept excelsior grads if not by examination by endorsement, I must say i have known many RN grauates from "approved" schools who could not pass boards, excelsior does have a highpass rate. NCLEX is what determines your qualification not the program from which you graduate so I really do not see
the issue. college network is not a school and only sell study materials I believe they are a big rip off and preys on individuals trying to further their education the convenient way and I absolutely do not recommend them. If any one knows if an excelsior college grad can be endorsed in the state of california please let me know, I will be calling the college on monday for further assistance. I am a very proud excelsior grad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Danielle in Bothell, Washington

71 months ago

simone in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I am a 2007 graduate from exelsior ADN program, This program far exceeded my expectation, it is highly recommended, All staff were very professional and it was hassle free. I was an LPN for 8 years and tried many traditional program that was very difficult for me because I was a single parent and had to work overtime on a weekly basis to pay by bills and couldn't dedicate the time for those programs. Fortunately for me I was endorsed by the state of Georgia in January, I am now seeking endorsement in california and have heard many discrepancies concernig licensure of ecxcelsior grads. I was endorsed in nevada 2 months ago without any difficulty and is now employed in las vegas. most states do accept excelsior grads if not by examination by endorsement, I must say i have known many RN grauates from "approved" schools who could not pass boards, excelsior does have a highpass rate. NCLEX is what determines your qualification not the program from which you graduate so I really do not see
the issue. college network is not a school and only sell study materials I believe they are a big rip off and preys on individuals trying to further their education the convenient way and I absolutely do not recommend them. If any one knows if an excelsior college grad can be endorsed in the state of california please let me know, I will be calling the college on monday for further assistance. I am a very proud excelsior grad.

Hi
I am ready to take my CPNE exam. I am really concern about this exam. How was your experience in this test?
thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

simone in Las Vegas, Nevada

70 months ago

I must honestly say that was the most stress I have experienced in my entire life, I do recommend Madison, Wisconsin as a prefered test site. I do know several co-workers including my self that passed in madison on their first try. I would recommend a workshop as preparation, I did not attend a workshop and passed, but it would have been very helpful and would have alleviated some of the stress, It is doable just make sure you are prepared.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kim in Long Beach, New York

69 months ago

i am so sorry for you guys in geogia. amazing with the nusring shortage. but they have no problem bringingin nurses from all over who can't speak english all of us lpn's out there need to band together anddemand all states except the program they cry about a nusring shortage but do nothing to help us. not ot mention causing a civil war between rn's and lpn's

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kim in Long Beach, New York

69 months ago

we need to ban together this is insane that they don't accept excelsior. they cry nursing shortage but do nothing to help us. here in ny they won't use lpn's in the hospitals but have no prblem hiring brand new rn's a lot who can't even speak good english i have been a nurse lpn for 25 years i am disgusted what has happened to our profession. this rn against lpn war has to stop. The patients are suffering.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Latoya in Brooklyn, New York

69 months ago

Hi Simone,
I was just wondering, were you successful with applying for endorsement into California?

Thanks,
Latoya

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

simone in Austin, Texas

68 months ago

my application is stlill being processed by CBON. I have to furnish two letters, one from excelsior stating my nursing status upon enrollment and one from my job at which i was employed at the time of attendance. I am now in the process of obtaining the letters and then hopefully i will be endorsed. Will definitely keep this thread posted. By the way are you an excelsior grad. I graduated for the LPN program at Medgar Evers in Brooklyn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Latoya in Brooklyn, New York

68 months ago

Thanks for replying. I am a Excelsior Grad. I'm also a LPN, graduated from Southern Westchester Boces (In NY). I was considering moving to Cali but I thought they would not accept Excelsior Grads at all. Could you tell me what the requirements are for endorsement into this state? I was told we would have to complete 800 clinical hours, then I read 1000. What are the letters for? Also, I contacted the CA Board of Nursing in December, the lady that answered told me "NO, there's no way for Excelsior grads to get licensed in CA." She didn't sound too sure, she kept putting me on hold to get answers to my questions. I'm so confused and would love to move to Cali in the next year or so.

Latoya

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Latoya in Brooklyn, New York

68 months ago

What year did you graduate from Medgar Evers? My significant other received his LPN Cert from Medgar as well in 2005. He's also a Excelsior Grad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

simone in Austin, Texas

68 months ago

I spoke with CBON and I am not certain with whom i spoke, but i do believe she was the head of the licensing department. I was told that if you were an LPN upon enrollment and has been licensed as an RN for more than a year then you will be evaluated on a case by case basis. I am assuming the employers letter is for verification of what kind of clinical experienced i received during my attendance at excelsior. Do not know if it makes a difference that i worked acute care vs. working in a nursing home. It is possible to be licensed in CA. or my application would have been denied upon receipt of my Excelsior transcript.
I graduated from MEC IN 1998.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

felicia in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

I am truly coming in on the tail end of the conversation. Howeever, GA will accpte but only through reciprocity. So since you have gooten this far, just sit for your boards in another state ie NY where Excelsior is. You have to travel for the clinicals, so I don't see the big issue in traveling once more to obtain your licensure and them apply for licensure via reprocity in GA. I finished, passed my boards, applied via reciprocity and know travel.

Susan in Marietta, Georgia said: Dear Fellow LPN's,
Ga BON decided today (9/18/08) to do nothing regarding the July decision to deny Excelsior College nursing students from getting RN licesure in this state. The only bright spot for Excelsior students is that the Education Committee will look at this situation in October. This is sad considering the NLN selected Excelsior as an Excellence Center. Another fact is that Excelsior's nursing grads perform 3% higher on the NCLEX (compared with other Ga NCLEX scores). The State Board of NY does accept Excelsior nursing graduates. They only state that I know definately that does not license for Excelsior is California and now Georgia. In Florida, you must have an LPN background to receive RN licensure through Excelsior's program.
I am actually considering moving due to this issue. I have worked too hard and spent too much money on the RN program to be told, "no license". If you find yourself in the same situation, supposedly this decision affected over 1100 Excelsior nursing students, feel free to contact me at sbulman@rocketmail.com. I am willing to support any and all efforts to get the Ga BON to change their mind.
Take care of yourselves.
Susan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

desthenurse in Ocala, Florida

68 months ago

simone in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I must honestly say that was the most stress I have experienced in my entire life, I do recommend Madison, Wisconsin as a prefered test site. I do know several co-workers including my self that passed in madison on their first try. I would recommend a workshop as preparation, I did not attend a workshop and passed, but it would have been very helpful and would have alleviated some of the stress, It is doable just make sure you are prepared.

Hi, I just want to know overall how long did it take you to complete the 8 exams? and Being an LPN first, how were the tests?? Was it all common knowledge/ nursing wise? or did you have to really put in a lot of time and effort? I just received my acceptance information today from excelsior and would like to set a realistic goal...Do you think 5-6 months is unrealistic as far as the tests go?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Apo

68 months ago

I couldn't help but read your comments. First let me say "Good Luck." I hope California accepts the letters and acknowledges all the hard work and dedication you have put into your career. If they say no, APPEAL.

This does not apply to you, but I know that nurses entering into California having to test/retest complained about the high first time failure rate. Of course, the joke was that California just wanted the money. I doubt that was true. You know the info or you don't--plain and simple. I think you would agree.

In 2005 I graduated from a California LVN Program. All I remember hearing was how strenuous the clinical requirements were compared to the rest of the nation. One would think that since the NCLEX offers NATIONAL certification upon passing, all the coursework/clinical requirements would be the same? Go figure. The only thing that should be challenged is any State procedural differences which could be tested individually before licensure! I know when I recieved my LPN the talk about not accepting Excelsior (and other non-resident programs) was because of the acceptance of students into the RN programs that had not completed an official "in-house/on campus" LPN program with full clinical requirements. Of course, in addition to the lack of proper/repeated training in the areas of Supervising and IV/Catherizations/Lines. You have got to know that if you are an RN in California you are most likely going to be thrown into a Supervisory position (budget cuts!) This is mostly likely the case across the nation.

I think Excelsior has taken into account some of the concerns and thus have redesigned the program with different Nursing Program entrance requirements, the online clinical course requirements and the intensiveness of the CPNE. We'll see.

Better get. I have another exam in the morning.

Tina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jackie in Utica, Mississippi

67 months ago

Racheal in Atlanta, Georgia said: If there is anyone who's a LPN doing the RN excelsior program please contact me at rachy29581@yahoo.com

hey my names jackie from jackson,ms and would like to know have any of had any problems taking the health safety, chroncicity, and reproductive test. i am retaking the health safety test next week and am wondering how can i study different because i studied the outline and it seemed like i was missing alot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Apo

67 months ago

jackie in Utica, Mississippi said: hey my names jackie from jackson,ms and would like to know have any of had any problems taking the health safety, chroncicity, and reproductive test. i am retaking the health safety test next week and am wondering how can i study different because i studied the outline and it seemed like i was missing alot.

Jackie,
If you can swing it, take Excelsiors practice exam! Of course you have to register and pay for the Health Safety Exam first and then pay for the practice test. I know the practice tests have really helped me with the three exams you mentioned above.

Hope this helps. Tina

P.S. I also study from the istudygroup101 information I bought off ebay. They seem to be spot on and I find I don't have to spend an enormous amount of hours reading every chapter in every book, because they condense all the info from the books/required reading into their material. In order to buy from Ebay you will have to type in the course name to find their CD. I bought the one with all the nursing courses and just downloaded it straight from the internet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

camerontamaria@yahoo.com in Mc Call Creek, Mississippi

63 months ago

jackie in Utica, Mississippi said: hey my names jackie from jackson,ms and would like to know have any of had any problems taking the health safety, chroncicity, and reproductive test. i am retaking the health safety test next week and am wondering how can i study different because i studied the outline and it seemed like i was missing alot.

hay jackie
i couldn;t help but notice that you are nearby in the area i was wondering do MS board of nursing accepts excelsior graduate. Thinking about starting soon, working on my RN. have been an LPN for 3 years now i am to futher my ed. Live down in the Natchez area.

thanks
tammie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

riethomas82@yahoo.com in Raleigh, North Carolina

63 months ago

Hey this question is for an Excelsior Grad!! Im thinking about doing excelsior ADN program. Im nervous about doing the test do they really help you as much as they say they do? and any other information i need to know please tell me before I enroll....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Dallas, Texas

63 months ago

First confirm that NC accepts Excelsior. If they do then here is the skinnY:

First let me say that under no circumstances should you allow yourself to sign up with a publishing company that says they are recommended or affiliated with or have approval from Excelsior. I did this with two different publishing companies and ending up wasting thousands of dollars in fees and books for naught. The books they supply may not be by the recommended Author or the edition might be off causing you to be all confused when searching for the content recommended by the study guide. Buy all the books that the Excelsior's free downloadable Study Guide recommends and just use them. Their tests questions are designed from these specific books and required readings. You can find almost all the books for a very reasonable price off half.com or ebay or other sites. Most of the books are used for several courses so you won't have to keep purchasing. I used Fundamentals of Nursing, Med Surg, and Pharmacology with most all the courses. I purchased a CD off ebay from istudysmart.com for all nursing courses. I believe I paid around $55.00 for it. That single CD condensed the required readings into a very understandable format. I passed every nursing course the first time with the info from the CD, the Excelsior course study guide, review from the end of chapter readings and of course taking the practice test. Repeat: Purchase the practice test. You will gain confidence for studying and you will get a feel for the course content. You get two tests for the price of one with every course. I usually failed the first practice. Once I understood what they were looking for, I reviewed my weak areas then took the other. Then I scheduled the real exam. I devoted an hour or two a couple nights a week to studying and was able to complete all the nursing courses in less than 8 months.

Hope this helps. Goodluck. The hardest part of the program is gaining the confidence to start it.

Tina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

riethomas82@yahoo.com in Raleigh, North Carolina

63 months ago

Hello Tina
So I should not waste my money using rue.edu its about $6,370 which it a lot to me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Dallas, Texas

63 months ago

Once you sign a contract with any publishing company you are bound by the contract. You will pay them every cent regardless of if you desire to continue with the non traditional nursing track. They are in the business of making profits.

If I am not mistaken you can complete your whole Excelsior program with that amount of money! Even if you sign with a publishing company you still have to pay for Excelsiors enrollment, the tests, the practice tests, the CPNE and graduation.

If you are unsure call and ask to talk to someone in the Nursing Department on how to proceed.

I don't work for Excelsior I am only a student. I can not tell you what to do. I can say that there is no way I would sign with a publishing company again knowing that I know now. Knowing I could have done the whole program from the start with Excelsior and saved myself thousands, I mean thousands of dollars. Remember, the exams are based off the books Excelsior suggests in its study guide. You can buy those books 90% of the time at a very discounted rate from other sites. The exact same author and edition they are recommending.

Hope this helps.

Tina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

riethomas82@yahoo.com in Raleigh, North Carolina

63 months ago

Thank you so much Tina and many blessings.
Marie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ann

61 months ago

riethomas82@yahoo.com in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Hello Tina
So I should not waste my money using rue.edu its about $6,370 which it a lot to me?

I found out about excelsior college from RUE.
When I went to take tests,it was like I hadn't even read the books. I called Excelsior and told them. They said they're not affiliated with RUE, but when you get to Nursing Concepts 3 with RUE, you have to enroll in Excelsior College.
So, I spent the over $6,000 or whatever it was and the money for the books for nothing. They aren't even the books recommended in the Excelsior College study guide for the tests. So, I lost $275 or whatever it was for the exam just to get an F. Now, I'm online reading that a lot of states don't accept Excelsior College for licensure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pavanneh in Newport News, Virginia

60 months ago

Virginia will accept excelsior graduates through reciprocity, but not for directly graduating and sitting on the boards. Va has told Excelsior if they can figure out how to get the supervised, observed hours just like normal clinicals they would reconsider their decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nbrody in Appleton, Wisconsin

59 months ago

I am interested to know if any Excelsior grads in WI had any problems getting jobs because of being a graduate of Excelsior? I know that you can get licensed in the state, but am afraid that employers will look down on an individual w/ an educational background from Excelsior. This was a big topic on allnurses.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nbrody in Appleton, Wisconsin

59 months ago

Can Excelsior grads work in states like CA, GA, FL, if they are licensed in a different state, but work for a traveling nursing company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

reesecup in Dayton, Ohio

59 months ago

Hi guys, I am a new nurse from dayton ohio and I was wondering has anybody actually started working as a nurse from excelsior and if so how was your first month, did you feel lost as far as the clinical area? please elaborate because I'm thinking of moving to atlanta but dnt really know. HELP!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LPN in Maumee, Ohio

59 months ago

reesecup in Dayton, Ohio said: Hi guys, I am a new nurse from dayton ohio and I was wondering has anybody actually started working as a nurse from excelsior and if so how was your first month, did you feel lost as far as the clinical area? please elaborate because I'm thinking of moving to atlanta but dnt really know. HELP!

I am an LPN in Ohio. I am looking into getting my RN. Going to traditional college is out of the question with schedule. How was Excelsior? How long did it take? Is it recognized by the State of Ohio Board of Nursing??? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

reesecup in Dayton, Ohio

59 months ago

LPN in Maumee, Ohio said: I am an LPN in Ohio. I am looking into getting my RN. Going to traditional college is out of the question with schedule. How was Excelsior? How long did it take? Is it recognized by the State of Ohio Board of Nursing??? Thanks

Hi, I just called the Ohio board of nursing and it is absolutely excepted by the board, with no clinicals required exept the two clinical days that excelsior requires, you can sit for your boards after the clep examinations and two day clinicals just like any other school!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michtut in Covington, Kentucky

59 months ago

nbrody in Appleton, Wisconsin said: Can Excelsior grads work in states like CA, GA, FL, if they are licensed in a different state, but work for a traveling nursing company?

I am wondering the EXACT same thing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

simone in Frisco, Texas

57 months ago

Latoya in Brooklyn, New York said: Thanks for replying. I am a Excelsior Grad. I'm also a LPN, graduated from Southern Westchester Boces (In NY). I was considering moving to Cali but I thought they would not accept Excelsior Grads at all. Could you tell me what the requirements are for endorsement into this state? I was told we would have to complete 800 clinical hours, then I read 1000. What are the letters for? Also, I contacted the CA Board of Nursing in December, the lady that answered told me "NO, there's no way for Excelsior grads to get licensed in CA." She didn't sound too sure, she kept putting me on hold to get answers to my questions. I'm so confused and would love to move to Cali in the next year or so.

Latoya

Hi Latoya

Wanted to inform you that I did obtain my License in the State of California. It took me an entire year to send the necessary documentation that was required, to my surprise I was licensed within 2 weeks. I only sent the documentation because my application deadline was about to expire and I did not want my app. fee to go to waste. After reading so many negative comments concerning Excelsior and California BON I was discouraged but I am happy I went through with my application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

simone in Frisco, Texas

57 months ago

Wanted to inform you that I did obtain my License in the State of California. It took me an entire year to send the necessary documentation that was required, to my surprise I was licensed within 2 weeks. I only sent the documentation because my application deadline was about to expire and I did not want my app. fee to go to waste. After reading so many negative comments regarding Excelsior and California BON I was discouraged but I am happy I went through with my application. Yes, I did enroll and graduated after the deadline to be grandfathered in. To all Excelsor prospective students please get your information from the source and not from people that are posting info based on conjectures and not facts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roger in Sacramento, California

57 months ago

Hi Simone can you tell how many months of experience did BON in California required to endorse your license?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

simone in Frisco, Texas

57 months ago

Roger in Sacramento, California said: Hi Simone can you tell how many months of experience did BON in California required to endorse your license?

Hi Roger at the time of my application I was an RN for a little over 1 year. however I was an LPN for 8 years and of those 8 years I spent 7 working at a large acute care hospital in their float pool. I did provide a very detailed letter from my manager stating what I did as an LPN. It is no guarantee that they will endorse your license. Endorsement is done on a case by case basis but it is definitely worth a try.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

aprillreign@yahoo.com in Monroe, Michigan

55 months ago

I just graduated from Excelsior college and am about to take my boards. I was wondering if there are other fairly new grads who have found no problem getting work. I live in MI, and have applied to a number of positions with only 3 responding and it's the same line of work LTC/Rehab. I want to work in a hospital. Has anyone else had trouble moving into actual RN positions? aprillreign@yahoo.com Thanks April

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.