Anyone doing Excelsior College's LPN-RN program?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1456)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Amy in Saint Cloud, Minnesota

76 months ago

I just recently graduated and passed my boards as an LPN. I have talked with Excelsior and I am just wondering if there is anybody who has done the program and is working as an RN. I am curious how many people are doing this route.
If this is something that you have done I would greatly appreciate a response letting me know how it went and if you are working as an RN now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1105) / No (180) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Stockton, California

76 months ago

Adrienne,
Did your cousing have to arrange clinicals in her area? Do you know how long her clinicals were?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (77) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

me. in Vancouver, Washington

76 months ago

PLEEEAAASE look into which states accept excelsior's accredidation. I have heard through the grapevine that many don't. ALSO, online nursing school can be tricky. Look into completing it through a LOCAL community or university that is accredidated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (72) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Palm Harbor, Florida

74 months ago

Amy in Saint Cloud, Minnesota said: I just recently graduated and passed my boards as an LPN. I have talked with Excelsior and I am just wondering if there is anybody who has done the program and is working as an RN. I am curious how many people are doing this route.
If this is something that you have done I would greatly appreciate a response letting me know how it went and if you are working as an RN now.

I've just completed the nursing classes and I am waiting for my clinical date. I live in Florida and there is no problem. An RN is an RN and as long as you pass your Boards you are an RN. I've enquired about becoming a travelling nurse in most states (not CA and NY as I'm not interested) and there is no problem.
Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (87) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

xin in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

Can Excelsior can assin aa clinical hours in pa or somewhere?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Robin Amore in Titusville, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

Amy in Saint Cloud, Minnesota said: I have talked with Excelsior and the states that do not allow licensure are California and Alabama. Minnesota does. I don't really want to go to a local college because I will not be able to work while I go to school then. I have taken enough time off to get my LPN, now I need to work while I go back to school. Thanks for the input!!!

I am doing the Excelsior course because I just don't have time to go back to college it has worked out for me so far I am over half way there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

paula in Albany, New York

73 months ago

Hi Robin,

Sounds like our program is the perfect fit for you!!! Great!!

Alabama, does accept EC grads, if you are an LPN, they review on a case by case basis....

Good studying! My best adice would be to talk with your academic advisor from time to time

Sincerely

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Pooja in Palatine, Illinois

72 months ago

Can anybody help me out as i have few doubts regarding doing a LPN course... As i am on H4 visa in US and dont have work permit right now.And i am planning to do LPN course here in chicago.So after i finish my course can i work legally in any hospital??? And do we get placed easily after doing LPN or we need to do RN as a must??? Also i would like to know when does the admissions start for LPN??? I wasted my 2 years as housewife in US so i would like to work ASAP also i cannot afford to spend more money. And my Qualification is i have done my Bachelors of Science in Microbiology from INDIA along with Post Graduation in MEDICAL LAB TECHNICIAN (INDIA). So can anybody help me out with my problem??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Pookie in Wesley Chapel, Florida

72 months ago

Amy in Saint Cloud, Minnesota said: I just recently graduated and passed my boards as an LPN. I have talked with Excelsior and I am just wondering if there is anybody who has done the program and is working as an RN. I am curious how many people are doing this route.

I worked as an LPN for 12 years, graduated from Excelsior in 2006 and I hold a NC RN license and FLorida RN license. It worked for me. Yes, it's a very hard program, especially the CPNE. The public perception is that the program is easy and you don't get the training. I passed the NCLEX with no problem, actually thought it was super easy. Why, because Excelsior College prepared me for the NCLEX. Hard program, but great nurses who make it through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (191) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ken Hines in Wesley Chapel, Florida

72 months ago

Pookie in Wesley Chapel, Florida said: I worked as an LPN for 12 years, graduated from Excelsior in 2006 and I hold a NC RN license and FLorida RN license. It worked for me. Yes, it's a very hard program, especially the CPNE. The public perception is that the program is easy and you don't get the training. I passed the NCLEX with no problem, actually thought it was super easy. Why, because Excelsior College prepared me for the NCLEX. Hard program, but great nurses who make it through.

Thanks for that info. I am getting ready to start with Excelsior.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Tonya in Atlanta, Georgia

72 months ago

Any online school that's offering the online LPN to RN or any nursing program, needs to be check by the STATE BOARD for which ever you reside in or plan to work. The State of Georgia is no longer accepting EXCELSIOR gradutes cause they say excelsior don't provide enough clincal hours. It's over 17,000 graduates and students current enrolled there, that can't get licenses or finish classes because Georgia no longer accepts credits from Excelsior. It's more than that school but they had the most students. So please call you State Board to find out which schools do they accept that are offered online, cause these school will tell you anything to get your MONEY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in MD in Germantown, Maryland

72 months ago

Does anyone know if one can get a nursing licence in NC after graduating from excelsior

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

job in Tampa, Florida

72 months ago

Anyone knows where can I find a LPn job in tampa.It's kinda of hard specially new grad with no exp.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

LPN in Parkersburg, West Virginia

72 months ago

what travel company do you use? or do u have any suggestions on any companies that are good? i am not having any luck finding a good one and any help would be appreciated!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

I do not use a travel co. I have been with Veterans Affairs since graduating in 1993. I have moved around with the VA, from Ohio to Florida.

Ken

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ed lewis in Minneapolis, Minnesota

72 months ago

I am an LPN and am starting Excelsior College taking exams. Does anyone know if it is good to take the practice exams and/or if I should try a company like I study smart! ? I have not taken a test yet but am reg. for Essentials of Nursing Care: Chronicity and so far find the free down load packets vague. thankyou have a good day Ed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Danielle in Bothell, Washington

71 months ago

I am taking EC program. It is easy to do the written exam ,but it takes so long to get an date to do the CPNE(up to 8 months)and only 65% of people pass in this exam. So, I am kind of disappointed in this aspect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

SassieMom in Phoenix, Arizona

71 months ago

DO NOT use the College Network!!!! It's a total rip-off!!!! They are NOT Excelsior...they only seel books and charge fees. Please. please,please watchout...they will hold you to anything if you sign up and wont let you cancel!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (90) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Lakewood, Washington

71 months ago

How long did the EC LPN-RN course take??

Personal Experiences would be nice. Just trying to get an average idea. Site says 2 yrs but that is with the General education requirements too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

dil in Surrey, British Columbia

71 months ago

please does anyone knows about medical lab assistant courses offred in B.C.
To do it in vancour communty college how much really needed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

annamaria32 in Denver, Colorado

71 months ago

Pookie in Wesley Chapel, Florida said: I worked as an LPN for 12 years, graduated from Excelsior in 2006 and I hold a NC RN license and FLorida RN license. It worked for me. Yes, it's a very hard program, especially the CPNE. The public perception is that the program is easy and you don't get the training. I passed the NCLEX with no problem, actually thought it was super easy. Why, because Excelsior College prepared me for the NCLEX. Hard program, but great nurses who make it through.

I agree. I just started the program and find it to be mostly review from LPN school here in Denver. The cost is reasonable and you don't have to miss work to attend classes. I also check with CA board of nursing. Once you have a year of experience as an RN, you can get a license there. There are alot of loopholes you can use to get around these things. You can also get a temp license in CA and once you have experience, you're good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Hi,
I live in Denver. Denver is nice, but I'm having a hard time finding an LPN job right now. I work for Kaiser (they're in GA too) but everyone wants experience. I'm probably going to leave Kaiser and go to a Long term care facility to get the experience. The pay is pretty good here for LPN's...so that's always nice. You can get a long term care job starting at $20 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

symonelondon@yahoo.com in Silver Spring, Maryland

71 months ago

Also, Since GA has decided not to take Excelsior how difficult is it working for the VA in Atlanta?... This may save me from relocating.
Symone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Does Denver require a wait after Becoming an Rn from Excelsior.
Symone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

LOL!! Ok Queen of Loop holes. Pls tell me something. My original homestate is WI who is also a compact state. Could you pls tell me how it works. Cause when I get my License in WI can I use it in Colorado"??. What do I do ?.. Like just show the Board in CO, my License from WI?
Help... I use to be the Queen of loop wholes but i'm all tied up!! LOL
Symone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

annamaria32 in Denver, Colorado said: No, you just have to complete an additional 350 clinical hours with a preceptor. Me and my friend are going to use her cousin to help us. The cousin is an RN. Or.. I may go to TX where my mom lives and sit for their boards. TX and CO are part of the licensure compact. You can use a TX license for CO and other states. I'm the queen of loopholes.

Look below,, I got a question about compact states.
Symone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lucius in Atlanta, Georgia

71 months ago

Symone,

Once you have your RN it's not hard at all getting a job with the VA. You don't actually have to work at the VA, you could work at one of the satelite sites they have all over the state. They are starting to open more clinics to keep the thousands of veterans from having to come all the way to the VA. They just opened a clinic in Decatur, GA. Also you can work at any one of the military installations(Ft's. Stewart, Gordon, Benning, Machpherson)in GA. Any Federal facility. No matter what state you are in if get a job with a military/federal facility all they care about is if you have a valid license. Also the VA has travel opportunities if you want to be a travel nurse(you can only work at VA facilities) and you don't have to keep paying fees to transfer your license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nursing is my goal in Fontana, California

71 months ago

could i transfer nursing classes to excelsior and finish there with what i have left. i already completed 3 med-surg, mental health, OB, nursing transition role, health assessment, pathophysiology, pediatrics, pharmacology, and fundamentals...

I actually did school out of state but am a California resident. I applied everywhere else but no one wants to take me because in order to graduate from the school name i need the 45-credits requirement which I do not even need to take with all the classes i've finished. Is there a representative who may help me with my situation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Sounds like you have your LPN then right? You use your LPN as a way to do the LPN-RN program. You don't need the Patho for Excelsior and your Nursing Transition should carry over as well. You may only need 5 classes with Excelsior. If you need more info, email me at annamaria0621@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

me-me in Virginia, Minnesota

71 months ago

tanya in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Please tell me about the CPNE clinical for EC.I want to go through EC to bridge in,but i am worried about this exam at the end cause i hate wasting money and can't make through this part.Let me know if anyone out there has been there.
TXs

Ijust finished my cpne, been an lpn for 20 years. I passed. Only 3
out of 7 passed. I cried all weekend. Very sressful. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Just remember, just because you have been an LPN, paramedic, ect.
the clinicals are all about being a student again. Know what they want. I flunked my first patient assignment for doing a radial pulse rather than an apical.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

eastside407 in Orlando, Florida said: Is the Lpn test hard an how can i take it i attended the classes but i could not afford to take my test

What Lpn test do you mean?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aja14 in Albert Lea, Minnesota

71 months ago

Amy-

I am currently enrolled in the LPN to RN program thru Excelsior College. I contacted the Minnesota Board of Nursing prior to enrolling and they stated that any college that is qualified to take State Boards is qualified in Minnesota. Since Excelsior is qualified by the New York State Nursing Boards, Minnesota will accept them. They also have the NLNAC which some colleges don't even have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Nurse Michele in Salisbury, Maryland

71 months ago

symonelondon@yahoo.com in Silver Spring, Maryland said: LOL!! Ok Queen of Loop holes. Pls tell me something. My original homestate is WI who is also a compact state. Could you pls tell me how it works. Cause when I get my License in WI can I use it in Colorado"??. What do I do ?.. Like just show the Board in CO, my License from WI?
Help... I use to be the Queen of loop wholes but i'm all tied up!! LOL
Symone

Symore,
Unfortunatly your license has to say Compact state on it. Most do, for some reason there is still a handful of them that do not. If yours is set for compact state then you can work in any other compact state without even including the board because keep in mind that if you officially move that you ave to transfer your license, but if you are doing just a travel job or go over a state line to work, then you do not have to involve the board so long as each are compact states. I live in Maryland and I have worked in Delaware, Virginia, and New York as well as Maryland without doing anything except be hired like anywhere else.I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

symone in Smyrna, Georgia

71 months ago

Ken Hines in Wesley Chapel, Florida said: I do not use a travel co. I have been with Veterans Affairs since graduating in 1993. I have moved around with the VA, from Ohio to Florida.

Ken

Hi Ken
One quick question, I am awating my boards, finished Excelsior and GA board states they wom't except RNs from Excelsior;So that leaves me with federal facilities. I've always been told the VA was a lot of work. Is it very hard?
Symone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GQ MAN in Los Angeles, California

70 months ago

i just graduated from an LPN program and i am tryin to find a job as an interim permit nurse while waiting for my ATT to arrive.pls anyone knows who is hiring?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

I do not think that the VA is any harder than any other institution. I have worked at 3 different VA's and they are all about the same. The VA does have a leading edge on technology. Another good point about the VA is that no matter how low the census, you will not be sent home; only by choice and to top it off, you'll still get paid. I hope that I have helped answer some of your questions.

Good Luck,

Ken

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

The process is quite lengthy, but in my opinion it is worth it. Working for the US Government has a lot of perks. Are you prior military? Which VA are you considering?

Ken

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Hey Ken,
thx 4 responding so fast. Was thimking about VA in Atlanta. Though i may relocate to Colorado. Although i'm a military brat, I, myself, am not prior military.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David in Tulare, California

70 months ago

I agree with Ken, I travel all over the US working with the VA systems. And Vet Pro (which is a extensive background clearance) does take a long time, but its worth it in the long run, just keep it updated after each assignment. And there is ALWAYS positions in the VA systems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Thanks!!
Symone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tishwil in Emerson, Arkansas

70 months ago

Annie in Palm Harbor, Florida said: I've just completed the nursing classes and I am waiting for my clinical date. I live in Florida and there is no problem. An RN is an RN and as long as you pass your Boards you are an RN. I've enquired about becoming a travelling nurse in most states (not CA and NY as I'm not interested) and there is no problem.
Hope this helps.
My name is tisha williams and I'm interested in excelsior colleges lpn/rn program, but I'm having a hard time getting started. any pointers that may help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lucius in Atlanta, Georgia

70 months ago

Tisha,

Check out some of the earlier post. I made comment about using Lisa Arends($75)and Medstrong($50)software. WAY!!! Cheaper than TCN or RUE. You will have two sources to study from, I have passed NC 1 & 2 using only Lisa Arends. You will have to study the information, but she has it focused on what you need to learn to pass the exams.

Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

tishwil in Emerson, Arkansas

70 months ago

I wanted to know what resources, textbooks or materials you used to study with and how long did it take you to complete the program.Did you fail any of the exams and what is the cpne really like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

natalia in Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom

70 months ago

hiya

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bobnurse in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

70 months ago

anyone who has gone through excelsior's program can you tell me how long it took you and did you work full or part time while you did it, how long did you study for each module before you took the test just wondering thanks :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dezthenurse in Ocala, Florida

69 months ago

Annie in Palm Harbor, Florida said: Thank you for your comment. I am waiting for my clinical date with Excelsior and have a high regard for Excelsior. I have enquired in most states (except CA and NY) for travelling jobs and ALL of them cannot wait until I am an RN to offer a position. Go Excelsior!

Hi Annie, I am also in florida. I'm very excited about expanding my knowledge and becoming an RN. However, I am a bit skeptical about this "nontraditional" route of education. I am curious to know; how long it took you to complete the Bridge process and on a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your experience?
Have you completed the cpne yet, and/or taken your boards?? I am looking to begin this program in Jan. 2009.

Thanks for any info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dezthenurse in Ocala, Florida

69 months ago

FYI if anyone has any Excelsior input, please feel free to post a forum/blog. Any info at this point will be greatly appreciated. I am ready to start this program, I just want to set a realistic goal and completion date. . . .And by the way I have every pre requisite that excelsior requires for the ASN except: information literacy. Does anyone have a clue of approximately how long it might take me to finish...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DianaRn in Miami, Florida

69 months ago

Interactive NCLEX Tutoring for RN and LPN in Miami
Contact
Email nclex27@gmail.com
Upcoming class Jan 19, 2009

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kea in west palm beach, Florida

69 months ago

symone in Smyrna, Georgia said: Hi Ken
One quick question, I am awating my boards, finished Excelsior and GA board states they wom't except RNs from Excelsior;So that leaves me with federal facilities. I've always been told the VA was a lot of work. Is it very hard?
Symone

In reference to the above, Is it a fact that the state of Georgia does not accept RN's that have graduated from Excelsior College??? I am moving to
Georgia in the near future and if this is true, I feel that I've been misled.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.