Top leasing agent skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 51)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every leasing agent must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your leasing agent expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Katie Kunkle in Ft.Worth, Texas

83 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every leasing agent must have to excel?

Attitude, Energy and orginazation!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

brittany

82 months ago

jeff in Overland Park, Kansas said: how much do apt. leasing agents make?

10 an hour starting plus commision

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Debra in Topeka, Kansas

80 months ago

thanks,i was seeing what needs to be done to have a job in leasing agent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Apartment Leasing in Frisco, Texas

80 months ago

Krystina in Dallas, Texas said: I wanted to know what kind of classes do I need to take to be an apartment leasing agent.

You do not need to take any classes. Go to "BG Personnel" off the tollroad. They only do the apt. business. They give a free mini-class. They will then place you in a temp to hire position. The hiring is quick since it cost Apt.s too much to have a temp. vs. hired employee.

When you call you will be told to come into the office. You'll fill out some paperwork. You'll go to a Fair Housing easy class - maybe. They place you. Pick a place you want to work. That's it.

Please this is a piece of cake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jamila in Marietta, Georgia

70 months ago

Apartment Leasing & Management in Frisco, Texas said: P.S. Even Managers don't make that much. You'll also work Most weekends if not all weekends.

Some Mgt. companies acutally have you work every holiday but Thanksgiving Day & Christmas Day..... Of course, you'll be on-call by pager or such even on Thanksgiving Day & Christmas Day.

It's a whole lot of work & non-apt industry people under estimate the amt. of work, labor & intellegence required.

That is not true I started off making 44,000 a year as an agent. Leasing mangers make double that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

natalie in Dallas, Texas

70 months ago

What can place on my resume without any experience about apartment leasing. How can word my resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

natalie in Dallas, Texas

70 months ago

Shaunte' said: Hello,

Thanks I am looking to transfer from being a Realtor as my full time profession.

should you just fax resumes to the management companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Candace in Warrington, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

I have 22 yrs sales experiene as sales manager. I left the job 4 months ago. Now I am currently looking for employment in leasing, not sure how to go about it. what skills do I need? Also, would I need to go to courses etc? Thank you any advise would be helpful. Looking for position in Buck County Pa.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Janet Dunn

69 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every leasing agent must have to excel?

you must go far and beyond your job description and backwards if need to be. Be a quick thinker able to think outside of the box and have the love of sale with great patience and compassion for customer service

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

griselda in Arlington, Texas

68 months ago

i just need to know where in dallas tx i can go take classes for apartment leasing to get certificate please e mail me if you know anything thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JUANITA ESQUIVEL in Houston, Texas

68 months ago

I AM LOOKING FOR A LEASING AGENT JOB, BUT I DO NOT HAVE ANY LEASING EXPERIENCE. I AM A FAST LEARNER AND I WORK HARD, I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH A DOCTORS OFFICE FOR 5 YEARS AND HAVE ALOT OF EXPERIENCE AS CUSTOMER SERVICE REP. DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE I CAN APPLY IN HOUSTON TEXAS TO WORK AS A LEASING AGENT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Latisha in Park Forest, Illinois

66 months ago

I Don't have any leasing agent experience, But I am a fast learner and would like to start working ASAP can anyone tell me where I need to go to apply?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jamila in Atlanta, Georgia

66 months ago

One tip is to change your address on your resume to an out-state address. This will really speed thing up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Janet Dunn

66 months ago

you are not just a leasing consultant but you are indeed a social worker and a counselor

kika in Hampton, Virginia

65 months ago

I've just got hired as a leasing agent and this is my fist time being a leasing agent, i have a customer service experience and tons of energy i start this week and im up for the challenge any tips out there that can help me be successful?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Janet Dunn

65 months ago

I started in the business 10yrs ago the owner never seen anyone like me rent so much before he was so impressed he made me a property manager but I did the leasing so I did both positions the secret to my leasing was being very friendly and warm I feel no matter what product you are selling if the client likes you they will like what you are presenting to them and that is what work for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Janet Dunn

65 months ago

Cindy Johnson said: I am a leasing agent. I love it. But, I work with two other agents that have been taking my appointments on my days off. I have scheduled the appointments, leased the apartment and because the only day the potential resident could come in was on my day off the other leasing agent took them and took credit for it just because it was my scheduled day off. When they have appointments on there day off I help them and then turn over all the information to them. I don't take credit for it. We can't be there everyday so we should work together and help each other. We are here to lease apartments for the company and not lose one becasue we don't want to help someone because we did not talk to them. What should I do. My manager did not want to hear about it or discuss it. She told us to work it out. I am trying to be fair. What should I do?

To answer your question only make the appointment when you are there if that cant happen if you truly are bother by this then even on your day off without pay accomdocatte them you will be surprize with that effort how it will get around that you on your day off made them feel important enough to show them that you will build a reputation that the client will only want to deal with you thats what I did and trust me my clients only would want me and dealt with only me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Janet Dunn

65 months ago

Cindy Johnson said: I am a leasing agent. I love it. But, I work with two other agents that have been taking my appointments on my days off. I have scheduled the appointments, leased the apartment and because the only day the potential resident could come in was on my day off the other leasing agent took them and took credit for it just because it was my scheduled day off. When they have appointments on there day off I help them and then turn over all the information to them. I don't take credit for it. We can't be there everyday so we should work together and help each other. We are here to lease apartments for the company and not lose one becasue we don't want to help someone because we did not talk to them. What should I do. My manager did not want to hear about it or discuss it. She told us to work it out. I am trying to be fair. What should I do?

To answer your question only make the appointment when you are there if that cant happen if you truly are bother by this then even on your day off without pay accomodate them you will be surprize with that effort how it will get around that you on your day off made them feel important enough to show them that you will build a reputation that the client will only want to deal with you thats what I did and trust me my clients only would want me and dealt with only me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

faye

65 months ago

I am trying to obtain a position as a leasing consultant.I have over 10 years of experience in sales,marketing,customer service. I would like to read more books,websites or go to some classes to be more knowlegeable. I need experience,but can't get my foot in the door.I really want to do this,and know I would be reaaly good at this also. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

army wife in Plano, Texas

64 months ago

im currently looking for leasing positions as well after being out of the industry for 2 yrs. but when i wanted to get my foot in the door i took a full days class and recieved a few certificates that really helped me out. I was in houston at the time but you can find these classes on either Dallas Apartment Association or Houston Apartment Association. They are wonderful and are extrememly cheap classes. Property management is big in continuing eduacation and this shows them just how interested you are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ML in Englewood, Colorado

63 months ago

Houston Community College, School of Continuing Education has a Multi-Family Property Management Program that is designed for indivuals wanting careers as leasing consultants.
Courses include:Overview of Property Management, Landlord Tenant Law, Property Management Software, Leadeship Skills, and a 64-hour Internship. For additional information contact george.davis@hccs.edu

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

naj in Sparks, Nevada

61 months ago

I am real surprised that most of you have a job and have kept it; I mean it seems that America is getting real sloppy at everything and just don't care and hey if everyone is sloppy then I guess it's acceptable: take a look at your grammar and spelling and yes it does matter!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Maura in San Antonio, Texas

60 months ago

Janet Dunn said: To answer your question only make the appointment when you are there if that cant happen if you truly are bother by this then even on your day off without pay accomodate them you will be surprize with that effort how it will get around that you on your day off made them feel important enough to show them that you will build a reputation that the client will only want to deal with you thats what I did and trust me my clients only would want me and dealt with only me

In my experience, you are all supposed to work with eachother. The person who turns in the original guest card which you fill out on the first visit or phone card, gets credit for the lease when they enter it in the system. I had an assistant manager who used to do that, but after having a chat with my manager this was no longer a problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dulce23 in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

kika in Hampton, Virginia said: I've just got hired as a leasing agent and this is my fist time being a leasing agent, i have a customer service experience and tons of energy i start this week and im up for the challenge any tips out there that can help me be successful?

did you not take any classes or prep for it before hiring? how did you get certified so that i can do what you did. lol i have been self educating myself mostly so that i would know what to expect when the job comes. im good with people and the whole nine... but another thing is that im only 17 yrs old and am in still in high school. i just turned 17 last month and when i get out of school i'll still be under-age. would i still be able to get work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

connie

59 months ago

every co. uses different sites, lile quickbooks,yardi,etc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cherie in Lawrenceville, Georgia

53 months ago

JUANITA ESQUIVEL in Houston, Texas said: I AM LOOKING FOR A LEASING AGENT JOB, BUT I DO NOT HAVE ANY LEASING EXPERIENCE. I AM A FAST LEARNER AND I WORK HARD, I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH A DOCTORS OFFICE FOR 5 YEARS AND HAVE ALOT OF EXPERIENCE AS CUSTOMER SERVICE REP. DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE I CAN APPLY IN HOUSTON TEXAS TO WORK AS A LEASING AGENT?

To be honest, get a BIG list of apartments around your area and possibly up to 30 min away. Call them, be polite and simply ask if there are any leasing agent positions available. I had a list of about 400, you will get a lot of no's. BUT stay positive you you'll find a place who is desperate to hire. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy Moton in Atlanta, Georgia

53 months ago

I would like to become a leasing agent.... any tips.... any companies willing to take a chance on me? Very interestedand eager to learn...

conniepate06@yahoo.com

51 months ago

I can't answer that question,sorry. this is a very clickest job position,alot of back stabbing. And if there is other properties involved and the person who is supposed to be training you doesn't want to go to another property,you are screwed. I believe I have been blackballed from the leasing/property management position. Therefore, I am moving on,they don't pay enough money for all the hasle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

khandice in Lithonia, Georgia

50 months ago

always ask your clients to come in on your sceduled days if they can't try to rescedule your day off to be there. lookit could be worst I have to scedule all the trashouts paints & cleans while my coworkers facebook & tagg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TTWharton in Austin, Texas

50 months ago

I think you have the right attitude and this will always payoff in the end. The very fact that you are more concerned about the company and not losing the sale say alot about your character. "There is a saying what go around comes around" I Think you should sit down and have a little talk about what kind of agreement you want to abide by with the other agents.

connie in Orange Park, Florida

50 months ago

sounds like your manager is not concerned about the co. either,i have had nothing but bad experiences with leasing,this is a new breed out there and not userer friendly position. good luck

sticks-n-stones in Grand Rapids, Michigan

48 months ago

Candace in Warrington, Pennsylvania said: I have 22 yrs sales experiene as sales manager. I left the job 4 months ago. Now I am currently looking for employment in leasing, not sure how to go about it. what skills do I need? Also, would I need to go to courses etc? Thank you any advise would be helpful. Looking for position in Buck County Pa.

Ok, as a Sales Manager, you know that if you can't sell your own skills to an interviewer, how can you sell their product. This is the case in every field. First, always get on their website and print out all company information. Study it! Know the business when you go in for the interview. Second, know a little about their competition. Third, most interviewers ask you to sell their product to them. Practice the sale in your head and be ready for this question. Remember, go in to all interviews, fully loaded with business and product knowledge as well as the perfect sales example.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sweetie in Dallas, Texas

48 months ago

I went to bg personnel but they have not called i went a month ago what do i need to do now?

sweetie in Dallas, Texas

48 months ago

i went to bg personnel but they have not called me back so what do i do now?

Katrina in Lewisville, Texas

48 months ago

sweetie in Dallas, Texas said: i went to bg personnel but they have not called me back so what do i do now?

They don't have anything available in the Dallas area but call them anyway.

its816am in La Marque, Texas

37 months ago

right now I work for a small owner managed property. i had no experience. They started me at $10/hour ans $40 per lease. If you have about one year of experience, the Finger Companies is an excellent company to work for. They pay $14/hr and for each lease, you'll recieve $100 in commission.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

lachellg in Decatur, Georgia

36 months ago

edie in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: I am looking to relocate to either Indianapolis or Cincinnati soon. I am interested in becoming a leasing agent & wanted to know if there are any classes or certificate classes I could take that would help me transition from flight attendant to a leasing agent that would help on my resume.

I know people who were hired on from working as a server and they are in regional positions now it depends on the company if they want fresh talent or seasoned pros and u can make 15 per hr w comm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

faye in Jacksonville, Florida

36 months ago

There is classes you cna take that are helpful, but each leasing co. uses different systems, I got let go before my 90 days,the woman training me, I was to replace her and she was to be moved to another apt. complex, that she did not want to relocate to. Therefore she really did not train me hardly at all.Also, the maintenace guy was making things hard for me to, they had a good thing going for them, covered each other's butts,and wanted to keep it that way.

lachellg in Tucker, Georgia

36 months ago

Knowing your product... know the area (your community) and know every part of the home. You should be the concierge of your community.
Detail oriented
Treating people the way that you want to be treated be in the moment people can tell when you are half assing.

kate in Kansas City, Missouri

33 months ago

Leasing agents in Missouri start out at 10 per hour, plus on average 40-90 a lease. The hourly will go up each year.

BOXER GIRL

33 months ago

INSISTENCCE, CONSISTENCE & PERSISTENCE!

BOXER GIRL

33 months ago

INSISTENCCE, CONSISTENCE & PERSISTENCE!

Carmen714h@aol.com in Alexandria, Virginia

30 months ago

I will be moving to the Port Orange/Daytona area and I wil be searching for part time or temporary work.
At the presnet I am in the Washington DC area and I work with an employment agency that provides me with work as a Concierge and part time leasing jobs.

Can you help me.
I will send you my resume, uon request

Allbree in Puyallup, Washington

29 months ago

BE AGRESSIVE! I'm looking to get into this profession as well, but as I read this post all I kept seeing were people who needed someone to hold there hand! It's one thing to ask for advice, but when you do not recieve a call back... call them again! If you cannot be assertive in reaching your goals, how do you expect to sell a housing unit? I'm honestly glad that i read this post, I now feel as if I have a VERY good shot at my newely chosen profession. I just think that if you want a "grown up" career, then it's time to act like and take charge like a "grown up". Good luck everyone!

Raichel in Citrus Heights, California

25 months ago

I'm looking for a job as a leasing agent but I don't really know the best way to go about finding openings. Is it okay to call and ask if they have open positions or will this come off as being unprofessional, should I go in to try and apply?

ms.mccane in Mckinney, Texas

24 months ago

I am looking for a place in Lewisville,Irving, Arlington,Tx area to take leasing classes do anybody have helpful tips for me please e-mail me asap thank u!!!

Pasadena Realtor in Pasadena, California

24 months ago

Do Unto Others as they would do unto you. Its the closer that counts. Work their clients and take the money. 987

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pasadena Realtor in Pasadena, California

24 months ago

Do Unto Others as they would do unto you. Its the closer that counts. Work their clients and take the money.

SP in Collierville, Tennessee

11 months ago

It is actually "Do Unto Others as You would have Them Do Unto You." Hopefully this will change your interpretation, and you will choose to take a higher road in life.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.