Top leasing agent skills needed to get the job.

Comments (26)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every leasing agent must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your leasing agent expertise?

brittany

92 months ago

jeff in Overland Park, Kansas said: how much do apt. leasing agents make?

10 an hour starting plus commision

Debra in Topeka, Kansas

91 months ago

thanks,i was seeing what needs to be done to have a job in leasing agent.

Janet Dunn

76 months ago

Cindy Johnson said: I am a leasing agent. I love it. But, I work with two other agents that have been taking my appointments on my days off. I have scheduled the appointments, leased the apartment and because the only day the potential resident could come in was on my day off the other leasing agent took them and took credit for it just because it was my scheduled day off. When they have appointments on there day off I help them and then turn over all the information to them. I don't take credit for it. We can't be there everyday so we should work together and help each other. We are here to lease apartments for the company and not lose one becasue we don't want to help someone because we did not talk to them. What should I do. My manager did not want to hear about it or discuss it. She told us to work it out. I am trying to be fair. What should I do?

To answer your question only make the appointment when you are there if that cant happen if you truly are bother by this then even on your day off without pay accomdocatte them you will be surprize with that effort how it will get around that you on your day off made them feel important enough to show them that you will build a reputation that the client will only want to deal with you thats what I did and trust me my clients only would want me and dealt with only me

naj in Sparks, Nevada

71 months ago

I am real surprised that most of you have a job and have kept it; I mean it seems that America is getting real sloppy at everything and just don't care and hey if everyone is sloppy then I guess it's acceptable: take a look at your grammar and spelling and yes it does matter!

TTWharton in Austin, Texas

60 months ago

Cindy Johnson said: I am a leasing agent. I love it. But, I work with two other agents that have been taking my appointments on my days off. I have scheduled the appointments, leased the apartment and because the only day the potential resident could come in was on my day off the other leasing agent took them and took credit for it just because it was my scheduled day off. When they have appointments on there day off I help them and then turn over all the information to them. I don't take credit for it. We can't be there everyday so we should work together and help each other. We are here to lease apartments for the company and not lose one becasue we don't want to help someone because we did not talk to them. What should I do. My manager did not want to hear about it or discuss it. She told us to work it out. I am trying to be fair. What should I do?

I think you have the right attitude and this will always payoff in the end. The very fact that you are more concerned about the company and not losing the sale say alot about your character. "There is a saying what go around comes around" I Think you should sit down and have a little talk about what kind of agreement you want to abide by with the other agents.

connie in Orange Park, Florida

60 months ago

sounds like your manager is not concerned about the co. either,i have had nothing but bad experiences with leasing,this is a new breed out there and not userer friendly position. good luck

sticks-n-stones in Grand Rapids, Michigan

59 months ago

Candace in Warrington, Pennsylvania said: I have 22 yrs sales experiene as sales manager. I left the job 4 months ago. Now I am currently looking for employment in leasing, not sure how to go about it. what skills do I need? Also, would I need to go to courses etc? Thank you any advise would be helpful. Looking for position in Buck County Pa.

Ok, as a Sales Manager, you know that if you can't sell your own skills to an interviewer, how can you sell their product. This is the case in every field. First, always get on their website and print out all company information. Study it! Know the business when you go in for the interview. Second, know a little about their competition. Third, most interviewers ask you to sell their product to them. Practice the sale in your head and be ready for this question. Remember, go in to all interviews, fully loaded with business and product knowledge as well as the perfect sales example.

sweetie in Dallas, Texas

59 months ago

I went to bg personnel but they have not called i went a month ago what do i need to do now?

sweetie in Dallas, Texas

59 months ago

i went to bg personnel but they have not called me back so what do i do now?

Katrina in Lewisville, Texas

59 months ago

sweetie in Dallas, Texas said: i went to bg personnel but they have not called me back so what do i do now?

They don't have anything available in the Dallas area but call them anyway.

its816am in La Marque, Texas

47 months ago

right now I work for a small owner managed property. i had no experience. They started me at $10/hour ans $40 per lease. If you have about one year of experience, the Finger Companies is an excellent company to work for. They pay $14/hr and for each lease, you'll recieve $100 in commission.

lachellg in Decatur, Georgia

47 months ago

edie in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: I am looking to relocate to either Indianapolis or Cincinnati soon. I am interested in becoming a leasing agent & wanted to know if there are any classes or certificate classes I could take that would help me transition from flight attendant to a leasing agent that would help on my resume.

I know people who were hired on from working as a server and they are in regional positions now it depends on the company if they want fresh talent or seasoned pros and u can make 15 per hr w comm

faye in Jacksonville, Florida

47 months ago

There is classes you cna take that are helpful, but each leasing co. uses different systems, I got let go before my 90 days,the woman training me, I was to replace her and she was to be moved to another apt. complex, that she did not want to relocate to. Therefore she really did not train me hardly at all.Also, the maintenace guy was making things hard for me to, they had a good thing going for them, covered each other's butts,and wanted to keep it that way.

lachellg in Tucker, Georgia

46 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every leasing agent must have to excel?

Knowing your product... know the area (your community) and know every part of the home. You should be the concierge of your community.
Detail oriented
Treating people the way that you want to be treated be in the moment people can tell when you are half assing.

kate in Kansas City, Missouri

44 months ago

Leasing agents in Missouri start out at 10 per hour, plus on average 40-90 a lease. The hourly will go up each year.

BOXER GIRL

44 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every leasing agent must have to excel?

INSISTENCCE, CONSISTENCE & PERSISTENCE!

BOXER GIRL

44 months ago

INSISTENCCE, CONSISTENCE & PERSISTENCE!

Carmen714h@aol.com in Alexandria, Virginia

41 months ago

I will be moving to the Port Orange/Daytona area and I wil be searching for part time or temporary work.
At the presnet I am in the Washington DC area and I work with an employment agency that provides me with work as a Concierge and part time leasing jobs.

Can you help me.
I will send you my resume, uon request

Allbree in Puyallup, Washington

39 months ago

BE AGRESSIVE! I'm looking to get into this profession as well, but as I read this post all I kept seeing were people who needed someone to hold there hand! It's one thing to ask for advice, but when you do not recieve a call back... call them again! If you cannot be assertive in reaching your goals, how do you expect to sell a housing unit? I'm honestly glad that i read this post, I now feel as if I have a VERY good shot at my newely chosen profession. I just think that if you want a "grown up" career, then it's time to act like and take charge like a "grown up". Good luck everyone!

Raichel in Citrus Heights, California

35 months ago

I'm looking for a job as a leasing agent but I don't really know the best way to go about finding openings. Is it okay to call and ask if they have open positions or will this come off as being unprofessional, should I go in to try and apply?

ms.mccane in Mckinney, Texas

35 months ago

I am looking for a place in Lewisville,Irving, Arlington,Tx area to take leasing classes do anybody have helpful tips for me please e-mail me asap thank u!!!

Pasadena Realtor in Pasadena, California

35 months ago

Do Unto Others as they would do unto you. Its the closer that counts. Work their clients and take the money. 987

Pasadena Realtor in Pasadena, California

35 months ago

Do Unto Others as they would do unto you. Its the closer that counts. Work their clients and take the money.

Diana

21 months ago

First of all, if they're doing this to you, why are you helping them when they're not there? Also, your manager should be concerned & doesn't sound like she cares. Confront your colleagues. Tell them how you feel and that this is an issue that needs to be addressed so that you are all on the same page. If they don't want to discuss it with you, I would let them know you'll be forced to take the commission on their people when they're gone, what choice do you have if you're working off commission. I am like you, all about doing the right thing, but not everybody is. See what happens; if it comes up, at least you said you tried to have a conversation. If you can't do this,quietly look to see what else is out there if things get really unfair. If you're concientious, you'll always land on top; part of that is working with people who share your values and validate your concerns. The other part that I've had to learn the hard way is that you need to set limits and boundaries with people, even when it's hard; this is how you gain people's respect. Good luck

scott in Los Angeles, California

9 months ago

Katie Kunkle in Ft.Worth, Texas said: Attitude, Energy and orginazation!!

how about organizing the order of your letters when spelling

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.