You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

A DOG COOKER in Grand Rapids, Michigan

86 months ago

HOW CAN I TAKE THE STRESS OUT OF COOKING

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cookingismylife in Grand Rapids, Michigan

85 months ago

the more experience you get and the more you learn, the more you should see your skills improve. i also used to practice memory games to help improve my memory. the more you see your skills improve, the more confidence in the kitchen you will begin to have. this should help your stress level considerably, since a lot of the stress typically comes from feeling overwhelmed or not capable of the task.

also, its all in the setup. think about where you keep utensils, make sure you are properly stocked, etc. the more organized your station is, the more organized mentally you can be, and the less stress you will feel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rich in Grand Rapids, Michigan

82 months ago

^^

I completely agree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

F Dizzel in Connellsville, Pennsylvania

82 months ago

It takes a while to get up to speed on the line. Once you get there its like riding a bike. Just keep at it. As a cook, if you dont get fired you are doing well. No one will fire a cook that shows up on time everyday. Ever! Dont expect to be like the people that have been cooks for 10+ years unless you have 10+ years of experience. It will come with time and patience Grasshopper. Being a line cook is like riding a roller coaster. Except, the ride and the track change everyday. Thats what i love about about it. And when I get on a roller coaster I expect to be scared and suprised. Thats what makes it fun. I guess its all about how you percieve stress. Dont fight it. Go with the flow. Master your station.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cactus Chris in Chester, New York

79 months ago

Learning the menu, and knowing where everything on your station blind folded is a big help. It puts me in my comfort zone and helps lessen the stress. Not having the servers talk to the cooks, and only hearing the expo helps keep the stress level down. Also don't get the "Deer in the headlights" reaction if you drop a full page. It happens, it's out of your control, and all you can do is keep a steady pace. Crack jokes with the other cooks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

patrick carter in Lafayette, Louisiana

77 months ago

the path to becomming an accomplished line cook all begins with organization and mental awareness. It is easier to focus and find things on the fly if everything is where it belongs. If new to a station you will quickly learn what works and what doesn't. Avoid excessive movements for mis en place that is used frequently. Keep only back ups tucked away behind currently used items and replinish as needed when the tickets slow down. Wipe wipe wipe as you go. Imagine that the customer you are preparing the food for could see where the food was comming from. Is it immaculate or trashed with drips and crud from hurried actions. Plus, cleaning up at the end of the night won't be so overwhelming. Maybe I am just anal retentive, but I find that if all I see is what I need and it is as organized as a well stocked gracery store isle I focus better and get less flustered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Connor in Silver Spring, Maryland

74 months ago

Line work is all about sustainable practices, which is to say, everything you do leaves your station in the same shape it was before you did it. If you cut a piece of meat on your cutting board and then to plate on the same board, you contaminate the rim of the plate, which contaminates the window and eventually the tablecloth. Having a special board or area for slicing the meat is the way to go, it is always dirty and your plating area is always clean.

Some guys pull plates when they get an order to help them remember what has been fired. Depending on if you have a lot of space, this might be sustainable or it might not, if you clutter your work area. All kinds of clutter and messiness are totally unsustainable, when you get busy these small mistakes and thoughtless actions (cutting up produce on the fly, putting dirty tools on your board, dripping fryer grease on your station) build up, and suddenly you find yourself busy, with no time to clear away the trimmings and plates and juices you left all over your station five minutes ago, no space to work in, and a pile of old tickets building up that you don't have time to get rid of.

If you burn a piece of bread and scrape off the carbon, this isn't sustainable. Besides possibly leaving a bad taste, you get carbon everywhere, in all your mise en place and on your board and your hands and it will keep showing up all night.

If you burn a pan and just stick it under your coolers (I used to do this one) it is NOT sustainable, because eventually everyone will be out of pans and pissed off at you.

So thats my contribution. Visualize yourself having a good night, getting orders and banging them out with a smile on your face.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.