Getting a litigation legal secretary job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Host

How did you get your start doing litigation legal secretary work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Bloom in Flushing, New York

85 months ago

I went to The Aldan Troy Group and it was a wonderful experience. They are a boutique legal executive search firm. I met with Jill and Danielle- they were both so helpful. Aldan Troy found me a legal secretary job with one the most prestigious law firms in the new york city!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Port Orange, Florida

83 months ago

Jennifer Bloom in Flushing, New York said: I went to The Aldan Troy Group and it was a wonderful experience. They are a boutique legal executive search firm. I met with Jill and Danielle- they were both so helpful. Aldan Troy found me a legal secretary job with one the most prestigious law firms in the new york city!

How is the position? I have about 10 years experience and I'm curious how it is working in NY? Any feedback on NY would be so helpful...I'm debating on either staying here in FL or moving up to NY...but i'm confused on what to do!

Jennifer Bloom in New York, New York

83 months ago

I'm sure you will make more money in NY, actually i know that for a fact. The only thing thought, its really expensive to live. Legal secretaries are making anywhere from 55K up to 85K depending on experience. With that said, its definitely something to think about. Good luck!

83 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing litigation legal secretary work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

No, you do not need a college degree, although some firms require it, but most do not. I started out temping through an agency, then i landed a perm job. when i decided to leave, i called Aldan Troy Group and they started sending me out on interviews and thats how i got my current job.

83 months ago

Jennifer Bloom in New York, New York said: I'm sure you will make more money in NY, actually i know that for a fact. The only thing thought, its really expensive to live. Legal secretaries are making anywhere from 55K up to 85K depending on experience. With that said, its definitely something to think about. Good luck!

Thank you! This is a little off the subject here, but how is NY? it's nightlife...are there alot of things to do, is it fun? That's another issue to debate on whether to relocate or not.

83 months ago

Kathy in Port Orange, Florida said: Thank you! This is a little off the subject here, but how is NY? it's nightlife...are there alot of things to do, is it fun? That's another issue to debate on whether to relocate or not.

It is absolutely a great city to live in! I think you said you were 24 right? If so, there is absolutely NO way you wouldnt have a good time. There's so much culture here, the night life is terific! It obviously different (very) from Florida, and definitely not as slow. This is a fast paced city, so if you're comfortable with something slow, then stay in Florida. Hope that was helpful

83 months ago

Jennifer Bloom in Flushing, New York said: It is absolutely a great city to live in! I think you said you were 24 right? If so, there is absolutely NO way you wouldnt have a good time. There's so much culture here, the night life is terific! It obviously different (very) from Florida, and definitely not as slow. This is a fast paced city, so if you're comfortable with something slow, then stay in Florida. Hope that was helpful

No I'm 34, but I've only been in Florida since August of 2007. I relocated here from Chicago to start new after the breakup with my boyfriend...wanted a change of scenry by the ocean, it was going to be here or California, but Cali was too expensive, i thought, so i opted for FL, BUT there is NO work down here, nothing and I have 10 years experience...i sent my resume out to a few places in NY and immediately the next day I received phone calls where the agencies wanted me to come in...so the debate is on on whether to relocate or not...

83 months ago

Jennifer Bloom in Flushing, New York said: It is absolutely a great city to live in! I think you said you were 24 right? If so, there is absolutely NO way you wouldnt have a good time. There's so much culture here, the night life is terific! It obviously different (very) from Florida, and definitely not as slow. This is a fast paced city, so if you're comfortable with something slow, then stay in Florida. Hope that was helpful

Actually that is what kills me about Florida...IT IS SOOOOO DARN SLOW! I'm used to city life...lived there for 34 years, the one thing that i'd miss for sure if the weather and ocean...i LUV IT!, but i also need a life and money...so that's where NY comes in...you know.

83 months ago

Kathy in Port Orange, Florida said: No I'm 34, but I've only been in Florida since August of 2007. I relocated here from Chicago to start new after the breakup with my boyfriend...wanted a change of scenry by the ocean, it was going to be here or California, but Cali was too expensive, i thought, so i opted for FL, BUT there is NO work down here, nothing and I have 10 years experience...i sent my resume out to a few places in NY and immediately the next day I received phone calls where the agencies wanted me to come in...so the debate is on on whether to relocate or not...

You should definitely relocate to NY. I have a friend who lives in Florida and he told me the same thing. California is great too. I lived in northern cali for a few years. I also lived in southern california, and there is no money to be made down there. Chicago is such a beautiful city- its too bad about your break up- damn boyfriend :) Anyway, NY is a great city and its definitely worth a try. Its basically a dirty version of Chicago. I shouldnt say that, but its kinda true. I've never seen a major city so clean!

Kathy in Daytona Beach, Florida

83 months ago

You have been to Chicago? I love Chicago and I actually miss it...:(...but i feel like if i go back, i'll b stuck in the same rut and bad memories...it was my fiance, not boyfriend....yeah he was a jerk!...I've heard that too...that NY is dirty, but that there is alot of things to do there...so legal jobs plentiful up there?

83 months ago

Chicago is beautiful, but i know what you mean about getting back into a rut..NY is dirty, but its still new york and new york has a lot of great things to offer. really, there's no place like it, but its not for everyone. I would say that Chicago is the closest thing to new york, but that could be up for discussion :) depending on who you're talking to. Its a very exciting place and there's really nothing boring about it, at least not at first. But, everyone i know who lives here, that isnt from here, always says they will never leave. I definitely think its worth a shot!

Kathy in Daytona Beach, Florida

83 months ago

Okay thank you Jennifer for your input...it really has helped! Take care. :)

kmm in Wilmington, Delaware

83 months ago

Kathy in Port Orange, Florida said: Actually that is what kills me about Florida...IT IS SOOOOO DARN SLOW! I'm used to city life...lived there for 34 years, the one thing that i'd miss for sure if the weather and ocean...i LUV IT!, but i also need a life and money...so that's where NY comes in...you know.

Move to miami - lots of action - now a renters paradise - and lots of law firms that pay -even one NYC firm down here paying NYC wages.
Not dead in summer. No, you do not need Spanish in the legal industry.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.