MRI Training

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 329)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Tim in Jacksonville, Florida

92 months ago

What kind of a degree to I need to get to become an MRI Technologist? Having trouble finding where to look online. I'm very interested in this field, but I'm just only beginning to research it. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

nick cheif mri tech LV in Las Vegas, Nevada

90 months ago

Tim in Jacksonville, Florida said: What kind of a degree to I need to get to become an MRI Technologist? Having trouble finding where to look online. I'm very interested in this field, but I'm just only beginning to research it. Thanks!

Hi Tim,
Im currently putting together a how to become an MRI TECHNOLGIST EBOOK. I also have a new book call MRI REVIEW QUESTIONS& ANSWERS found at AMAZON BOOKS.
You should check it out. Send me an email at: ADANICK1@NETZERO.NET with any questions. Im coming out with alot of new products for MRI techs, I will be opening an ebay store soon! It will have my new MRI REGISTRY REVIEW CD SOFTWARE PROGRAM, where you can study and practice taking the registry at home! cool huh?
I look forward to talking with you.
sincerely,
nicholas john

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Rick Slick

89 months ago

I understand the availability of study guides but would like to hear comments on how difficult it was to obtain the needed list of exams to become eligible to take the MR registry.
How many of you have had to substitute MR exams because of the lack of being able to get the experience?

Rick

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Mario Zoysa in Kitchener, Ontario

83 months ago

Hi there, I bought some books online from adanick1, how long does it takes to get books, Pay pal has already taken my money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

nancy in Las Vegas, Nevada

83 months ago

Mario Zoysa in Kitchener, Ontario said: Hi there, I bought some books online from adanick1, how long does it takes to get books, Pay pal has already taken my money.

WITH GENERAL MAIL, SHOULD BE ABOUT 7-10 DAYS, YOU KNOW HOW SLOW THE US POSTAL SERVICE IS! KEEP COOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Debra Gesel in Missoula, Montana

83 months ago

Hello Nicholas,
Like Tim I am also beginning to research MRI Tech. I found your reply very helpful. I will need to study at home because an online search showed nothing available in Montana. Please kep me posted.
Thanks,
Debra

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Radiographer in Beaverton, Oregon

73 months ago

First of all you need to be a Radiographer, then you need to get cross trained by your employer of find a way to get clinical time so you can get certified in MRI. As far as employment goes, well by the time you become a MRI tech (3-5 years), it will most likely be very hard to find a job, most employers want two years experience and there aren't that many jobs available. Just think hospitals have 4-6 MRI techs on staff, 10-50 x-ray/CT techs, and 100's of nurses. Nursing is a much safer field to enter if you are just starting out, as the Imaging field has basically been flooded. Except for Ultrasound, but that is a different story, hope this helps you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

oyunbold ganbold in Oakland, California

71 months ago

hello guys. If I get mri technologist certificate is this enough degree to get a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

errol santane in Tampa, Florida

70 months ago

errol santane in Tampa, Florida said: It is very difficult for someone without a RT Radiologic technologist license from an acredited school. I dont mean to be negative. Basic X RAY techs cannot find jobs after paying thousands of dollars to these FLY BY NIGHT basic X ray schools. One cannot be a RT with 6 weeks of school.The students are told that The school cannot guarantee them jobs. They call it ON THE JOB TRAINING.The lic. Techs will not teach these students because They are taking jobs away from the techs who went through full 4 or 2 yrs of a legitimate X ray school. Companies naturally would love to hire a basic x ray tech at half of the salary.
Before you decide to go for it,think long and hard about it. Be absolutely sure that this is what you really want. X ray techs are sometimes called BUTTON PUSHERS. How come they allow Techs to Put a tube and fill your rectum with a white thick liquid called Barium.
You must start at the "BOTTOM". Xray Techs are professionals and they are very knowledgeable about a lot of things surrounding this field.
Wait until you see the PHYSICS involved. You probably won't even understand the EXPOSURE classes.The Radiologist is First the X RAY TECH IS NEXT in chain of command. I am not trying to scare you. I am just giving you som info to help you make your decision. Techs are abused by the Radiologist. Techs have to practically beg the bosses for some perks for X RAY WEEK. WEEK OF NOV 8th. Do you want to get feces on you then have lunch soon after? You must be a full fledged X RAY Tech before you even think of MRI. You must learn to creep before you walk. Wait until you perform 6 BEs before lunch. wait until the surgeon in the OR asks you what the hell is wrong with you. And which school did you go to. Wait until you have to radiograph a 9 month old who was beaten to death by the mother's boyfriend.wait until you go up to the pt's room and the pt is soaked in s--t. Oh the stench.
Now go to lunch. wait until you go

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

errol santane, I am a first year student in Rad Tech. I understand what you are talking about. Truly, if someone is in this field for money only, it's gonna be hard for him or her. I am in for the money too, eventhough it is not that much but still better than working at a factory. Obviously, if one has a good heart, all these would not be a problem. I assisted to transfer patient soaked in feces right before or after lunch and my heart fell you know. All my classmates feel the same way too. It's soften your heart to see elders with so much pain broken a femoral neck or a pubis ramus, it makes you think what if this old lady is your grand mother? and it felt so good after you take her back to her room and she thank you for trying to be so gentle with her fracture. I might not have as much experience as you do but I still like this profession up to this point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MRI'ing away! in Baltimore, Maryland

69 months ago

You may want to look onto the ARRT website. The ARRT is the company that certifies MRI tech (along with a state license). If a tech is not ARRT certified then they will not be able to practice in the field. Insurance companies will not pay for exams that are not done by accredited technologists. There for companies do not hire non licensed technologists
As it stands now you must have an certified Radiologic Technologist and have completed a number of MRI studies before sitting for the registry. (this is usually done by cross training, as stated above)
A few years back a company I worked for hired a few people who had a 4 yr degree (in varying backgrounds) they put these people thru 6 months of MRI training. They worked as MRI techs for about a year before the ARRT found out that non ARRT backed people were MRI'ing and threatened to pull the accreditation for the enter company.
So we have seen first hand that only ARRT backed technologists are able to work as MRI Techs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Raven in Sulphur Springs, Texas

68 months ago

Well, I'm a freshman in high school. I plan to graduate and go to college to be a MRI technician. I just want to know if it pays good and if I'm getting myself into some trouble. I mean, how many years of college must I take? i don't really mind the collage and work part. I just want a good job that I can raise a family on and actually have money. Can someone help me out and tell me what I'm getting myself into?

Thanks,
Raven (:

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RT in Tallahassee, Florida

68 months ago

Radiographer in Beaverton, Oregon said: First of all you need to be a Radiographer, then you need to get cross trained by your employer of find a way to get clinical time so you can get certified in MRI. As far as employment goes, well by the time you become a MRI tech (3-5 years), it will most likely be very hard to find a job, most employers want two years experience and there aren't that many jobs available. Just think hospitals have 4-6 MRI techs on staff, 10-50 x-ray/CT techs, and 100's of nurses. Nursing is a much safer field to enter if you are just starting out, as the Imaging field has basically been flooded. Except for Ultrasound, but that is a different story, hope this helps you.

I agree. I am about to graduate with an RT degree and wish I had gone into nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

NYQUISTTHEOREM00@AOL.COM in Irvine, California

67 months ago

I became a Medical Radiographer, did my grunt work in OR, ER, CT and then got into a University Hospital to train in MRI. Jobs are hard to come by even with my expertise--Nursing is much easier and there are plenty of jobs. I am thinking about becoming a RN for job security and the fact that it requires less training as well as no call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mathews70 in Oregon

66 months ago

I would highly advise against any program that doesn't allow you to sit for the ARRT registry. That is the gold standard and most places require you to have it. I will also say that it is very very difficult to get into and you need to be an R.T. first. I would highly reccommend that anyone looking into the radiology field to look elsewhere, whether it be x-ray, mri, ct, ultrasound, or nuc med. You will not likely find a job let alone a full time job. This field has been more than flooded and needs time to cool off. The schools will tell you otherwise because they need you to pay their salaries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Mathews70 in Oregon

66 months ago

Wilderness Momma in Duvall, Washington said: Requiring just an GED for admission, I found an awesome place to be trained in just 12 months to become an MRI tech, including 1000 hours of experience using an MRI. Talk with Dr. Patrick - he is awesome! See AAMRI.com

I have researched the field. Techs make $55 - 65K/year plus lots of overtime available here in Seattle, and there are many jobs available in this growing field. The days can be a bit hectic, seeing 2 patients per hour all day long.

I have applied to AAMRI, got admitted and start in a few weeks.

I like that it is a job that can be done in any part of the country (or other countries, for that matter), and the training is just one year with only a GED required to get into the school. While I already have a college degree I have been out of the workforce for many years and have recently had no luck finding work. This is an efficient way to get back into a well paying position with minimal retraining.

If you think you're going to get a job as an MRI tech, with no experience, a GED and an AAMRI certificate (not a degree) you are going to be in for a rude awakening. There are licensed Rad Techs with Bachelors degrees and years of experience that aren't even being considered for jobs in this field. If you do get a job by some divine miracle, you will not be well recieved or respected from all your other co-workers who have more experience and higher credentials than you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

errol santana in Lutz, Florida

66 months ago

YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD. I ALREADY DON'T LIKE THAT ONE.
HA HA HA.Even if I said GOOD LUCK.....you won't have any.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

We really must tell these people that it is absolutely necessary to be A Registered RT FIRST. Then and only then you can think of MRI. Please, People, people You should see the waiting list at the Community colleges. Some are 5 YRS or more.Call and check to see if I am telling you the truth or not. I don't want to discourage you. Who will take care of me when I retire? Sart with the Radiography program at an accredited college. NOT UMA, OR KAISER OR ant other FLY BY NIGHT SCHOOL...PLEASE PLEASE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Don't you people see where the MONEY is being made? MOVIES MOVIES GROCERY STORE CHAINS PLAYS, POLITICS, AUTO REPAIR PEOPLE. THE PEOPLE FIXING THE ROADS, I could give you a long list.Restaurants, Pizza chains. MILK, Liquor stores and on and on...WE ALL CANNOT BE DOING MRIs.
GOVERNMENT. BORDER GAURDS. MED TECHS........How many more do you want? do some charity work. Maybe you will be discovered. That is a good starting point. Talk to people. brush up on your interviewing skills.Talk your way to the top. Be determined. pick up The Occupational handbook. Buy lottery tickets. You gotta be in it to win it!!!!!!!good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

nick cheif mri tech LV in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hi Tim,
Im currently putting together a how to become an MRI TECHNOLGIST EBOOK. I also have a new book call MRI REVIEW QUESTIONS& ANSWERS found at AMAZON BOOKS.
You should check it out. Send me an email at: ADANICK1@NETZERO.NET with any questions. Im coming out with alot of new products for MRI techs, I will be opening an ebay store soon! It will have my new MRI REGISTRY REVIEW CD SOFTWARE PROGRAM, where you can study and practice taking the registry at home! cool huh?
I look forward to talking with you.
sincerely,
nicholas john

Dear John, You cannot even spell TECHNOLOGIST and you are coming out with Products.....My Gosh what is going on out there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

errol santana in Lutz, Florida said: We really must tell these people that it is absolutely necessary to be A Registered RT FIRST. Then and only then you can think of MRI. Please, People, people You should see the waiting list at the Community colleges. Some are 5 YRS or more.Call and check to see if I am telling you the truth or not. I don't want to discourage you. Who will take care of me when I retire? Sart with the Radiography program at an accredited college. NOT mra, OR kazer OR any other FLY BY NIGHT SCHOOL...PLEASE PLEASE
.I personally know of a company who had the truck driver doing the mri.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

errol santana in Lutz, Florida said: We really must tell these people that it is absolutely necessary to be A Registered RT FIRST. Then and only then you can think of MRI. Please, People, people You should see the waiting list at the Community colleges. Some are 5 YRS or more.Call and check to see if I am telling you the truth or not. I don't want to discourage you. Who will take care of me when I retire? Start with the Radiography program at an accredited college. NOT mua OR KAzerr OR ant other FLY BY NIGHT SCHOOL...PLEASE PLEASE

please delete the two names from the comment
mua and kazerr . thankx. that was certainly a mistake

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

bb in Lewistown, Pennsylvania

65 months ago

u can be a nuc tech, ultrasound tech, or rad tech to become mri tech....get off ur high horse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

arni135 in Tampa, Florida

65 months ago

iF YOU WANT TO BE AN MRI TECH PLEASE GO TO AN ACCREDITED COLLEGE FIRST, DON'T GO TO THOSE BASIC X-RAY SCHOOLS THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY AND RUN. BE A GENERAL RADIOGRAPHER FIRST THEN GO TO A ACCREDITED MRI SCHOOL AND BE AN MRI TECH AFTER PASS YOUR ARRT REGISTRY. BE AN MRI TECH TAKE TIME, MONEY AND EXPERIENCE. REMEMBER IF YOU WANT TO BE AN MRI TECH WITHOUT RADIOLOGY EXPERIENCE IS NOT GOING TO BE EASY FOR YOU TO FIND A JOB,A LOT OF HOSPITALS,MEDICAL CENTERS,OUTPATIENT CENTERS AND MRI CENTERS WILL HIRE YOU IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE IN DIFFERENT MODALITIES AS CT, MRI, RADIOLOGY TECH OR NUCLEAR TECH ETC. A LOT OF TECHS WITH THE ARMRIT REGISTRY ONLY ARE CRYING A LOT
THEY CAN FIND JOBS BECAUSE THEY KNOW ONLY MRI, THE ARMRIT IS LIKE SOPRANOS MONEY ONLY BABY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JeanT in Salt Lake City, Utah

65 months ago

The market is flooded. I am an ARRT certified xray technologist! It is not fair. I am having a hard time finding work. 50 techs showed up to my last interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

The MRI Baddass! in Bullhead City, Arizona

65 months ago

JeanT in Salt Lake City, Utah said: The market is flooded. I am an ARRT certified xray technologist! It is not fair. I am having a hard time finding work. 50 techs showed up to my last interview.

Hi Jean, in response to your post. I just wanted to tell you to "keep on trying". If you are willing to make sacrifices somewhere along the way "you will find work". I do know what you mean, I have traveled across the country to find work although i was originally from texas. The job market is slowly changing for the better so please be patient. I am having to do the same. So, if you are willing to look for work outside of Utah or perhaps work as an MRI traveler that might help in your job search. I have also worked as a traveler and it was well worth it. take care, and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

radiator81 in Seattle, Washington

65 months ago

I completed an MRI program almost a year ago, am registered and have been unable to find work. It seems the jobs in MRI dropped out overnight.

One thing I find is employers want "Paid" experience, even though I have over a year of clinical with 3 varioius scanners I have operated.

This field has gotten ridiculous and I am thinking age is now a factor (I am 51. I am ready to give up radiology and I have been a tech since 1995. Anyone else having trouble finding an MRI job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bobo in Beaverton, Oregon

65 months ago

Pretty funny I am going through something similar, and the market for all of imaging is so horrible right now. Imaging went from a good field to find work to a horrible field to find work in over night, MRI, CT, X-ray all are hard to find jobs in right now. Too bad the schools killed our field by training to many to fast, nursing schools have done it right without flooding the market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Yes, the schools have ruined the field by flooding the schools when there are are not any jobs. They don't mind taking the tuition. We still have to pay for our licensing and credits whether we have work or not. It would be nice if the A.R.R.T would step in, but they want their revenue also!

Today I was at a reemployment meeting and some people mentioned they were interested in Radiology. I gave them more than an earful and people were shocked. Even the guy from Employment Security was shocked because everyone thinks all the jobs are in the medical field. Get a clue. We have lost so many jobs over the years, what is left? What is left, is where everyone goes and it is overburdened.

Maybe it is better I am not working in the field. Sounds like everyone that is working is burnt out!

I am not so sure that nursing is as rosey as they claim from what some new nurses told me. They got jobs, but not as easy as they believed or were told.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chambers in Payson, Arizona

65 months ago

Where are certified programs for MRI in Arizona. I'm having problems finding any programs to go to in Arizona

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

NO JOBS PAL. Dont give up yet...keep plugging....where are you located?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

In Washington. I have applied all over the country. You are correct..no jobs!

I I am considering a new career. At what point do I give up? Got registered in MR in late July 08.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cyclops1 in Indianapolis, Indiana

65 months ago

I too completed a MRI program here in Indianapolis, Indiana and can't find a job anywhere. Have applied all over the the country. I am 54 yr old and think maybe I'm being discriminated because of my age. Thinking about seeing a lawyer and exploring any options. If you here of any places willing to hire older applicants let me know.

radiator81 in Seattle, Washington said: I completed an MRI program almost a year ago, am registered and have been unable to find work. It seems the jobs in MRI dropped out overnight.

One thing I find is employers want "Paid" experience, even though I have over a year of clinical with 3 varioius scanners I have operated.

This field has gotten ridiculous and I am thinking age is now a factor (I am 51. I am ready to give up radiology and I have been a tech since 1995. Anyone else having trouble finding an MRI job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

s in Lititz, Pennsylvania

65 months ago

its not ur age.... imaging in general is hard to find jobs... u have to know someone alot of the time......befriend the service reps, they travel around large areas and know of openings before anyone else

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

You appear to DESPERATE. Dont show them DESPERATION. DONT APPLY TO SO MANY. apply only to the advertised jobs. IF NO ADS AVAILABLE....LOOK ON LINE.YOU CAN PICK AND CHOOSE WHICH YOU WANT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I just read yesterday on Simpley Hired that the Trend for hiring for MRI Tech's is down 51 percent since 2007. I mentioned this to a Technologist who was a contributor to the Cross Sectional Anatomy Book I used in school. She said, "I believe it."

So because of that, employers can be choosey. A place I got a second interview with last fall, has adverised again and now they want 3-5 years MRI experience. Last fall it was only a year. So, they know they have the upper hand. I do hope the good days come back soon, with sign on bonuses, but it may be a long way off.

I doubt an attorney will be able to help you, unless you have witnesses to blatant age discrimination. Good luck with that. I am sure it contributes to some of my interviews.

65 months ago

Rick Slick said: I understand the availability of study guides but would like to hear comments on how difficult it was to obtain the needed list of exams to become eligible to take the MR registry.
How many of you have had to substitute MR exams because of the lack of being able to get the experience?

Rick

DEAR RICK...PLEASE EMAIL ME PERSONALLY...I KNOW YOU.DID YOU HAVE A LARGE SNAKE IN YOUR LIVING ROOM?
please reply. YOU WILL BE SO SURPRISED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Candi Roth in Aston, Pennsylvania

65 months ago

Tim in Jacksonville, Florida said: What kind of a degree to I need to get to become an MRI Technologist? Having trouble finding where to look online. I'm very interested in this field, but I'm just only beginning to research it. Thanks!

Tim, As of January 2006, the ARRT announced two methods by which an individual would qualify for the MRI boards including: primary and post primary certification. To qualify for the MRI boards by the ARRT as a primary certification the applicant must successfully complete an accredited program. To locate an accredited primary program go to www.jrcert.org. (These programs are generally 2 years in length... or 1 year post baccalaureate program.) To qualify for the post primary certification the applicant must be registere in a primary modality (radiography, nuclear medicine, radiation therapy or sonography) and document clinical experience. For MRI, this includes completion of 120 clinical MRI exams. Didactic coursework is not mandatory at this time to qualify for post primary certification. However, as the MRI boards are challenging, most technologists opt to take a course in preparation for the boards. If you require boards, there is an additional approach to MR certification that is also recognized by the ACR (known as ARMRIT). We do offer an online course that provides the didactic information that you would need to sucessfully take 9and pass) the MRI boards. For more information visit our website at www.imaginged.com. If you need additional information, feel free to email me directly or if you would like to speak to me do not hesitate to call my direct line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Raven in Sulphur Springs, Texas said: Well, I'm a freshman in high school. I plan to graduate and go to college to be a MRI technician. I just want to know if it pays good and if I'm getting myself into some trouble. I mean, how many years of college must I take? i don't really mind the collage and work part. I just want a good job that I can raise a family on and actually have money. Can someone help me out and tell me what I'm getting myself into?

Thanks,
Raven (:

Raven, I would recommend that you contact a local radiography (x-ray) school or MRI school. You can find a list of accredited schools in your area by visiting the website www.jrcert.org (this is the accrediting agency). "Search" the site for schools and programs in your area. Once you find a program, call the course director and inquire about a "shadowing" policy. At the university where I was director of the MRI school, we would allow, in fact encourage potential applicants (including high school students) to spend a day in the imaging center, "shadowing" a registered technologist (RT). This is a good way to ... as you say "to see what you are getting into". We have MRI, CT and Ultrasound courses on-line, but to qualify for our on-line courses, you must be an RT. For more information, visit our website www.imaginged.com.

65 months ago

Debra Gesel in Missoula, Montana said: Hello Nicholas,
Like Tim I am also beginning to research MRI Tech. I found your reply very helpful. I will need to study at home because an online search showed nothing available in Montana. Please kep me posted.
Thanks,
Debra

Debra, We have an entire on-line course in MRI. The course consists of 36 streaming video lectures, with handouts, worksheets, discussion forum and post tests... that are available on-line and on-demand. For more information visit our website www.imaginged.com. If you need additional information, or if you would like to speak to me directly feel free to email me directly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

errol santana in Lutz, Florida said: Dear John, You cannot even spell TECHNOLOGIST and you are coming out with Products.....My Gosh what is going on out there?

We offer on-line courses, review question books and online post tests for RT's available at www.imaginged.com. Our on-line courses consist of 36 streaming video lectures with handouts, worksheets, discussion forum and post tests... that are available on-line and on-demand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Rick Slick said: I understand the availability of study guides but would like to hear comments on how difficult it was to obtain the needed list of exams to become eligible to take the MR registry.

Rick

Rick, To qualify for the ARRT examination (as a post primary certification), one must be an RT and complete 120 clinical examinations. We offer accelerated internship courses (live and/or on-line). In many cases our interns can complete the clinical examinations in a period of 4 - 6 months. To be honest, the "intern" is not an EXPERT in MRI in 4-6 months… however they do complete the clinical requirement and are eligible for the boards. Also, if you complete your clinical examinations…with an ‘eye’ toward documenting your clinical experience, I think that you will find that it is do-able. Also, “multi-comping” is acceptable. For example consider this clinical scenario: Mrs. Smith is scheduled for MRI, for stroke… her imaging would include: 1. General brain, 2. MRA (vascular) head, 3. 3D processing for that MRA head, 4. Diffusion imaging, 5. Carotids (vascular neck), 6. Multi-planar reconstruction, 7. SNR measurements can be made on any images, 8. Hardware should be expected prior to every MRI examination…and so on. Now I realize that this is a very exaggerated example, however… I think if you review the clinical requirement documents on the website www.arrt.org you will understand. Be careful! Do not “fudge” your data… document ONLY the examinations that you truly complete. For example if you image a male pelvis for prostate, this is not a hip study. Make sense? If you require additional information you can visit our website www.imaginged.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Many of the accrdedited programs, are accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT). If you visit thier website www.jrcert.org. Then on the left of the home page chose accredited program and you can search programs in the NY area. (I searched and only found two programs... Queens and Bellevue). I am sure that there are a number of programs in NY. There are also programs that are accredited by the "College" or "University" itself. I might begin with those listed on JRCERT site and they try local colleges and universities... like NYU, etc. I know that there are also a number of programs in Philadelphia & New Jersey. We offer on-line courses in MRI, CT and Ultrasound, but you'd have to be an RT first. Our website is www.imaginged.com. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cocobella33 in Woodside, New York

65 months ago

AWESOME! lookin now :)

Tech007 in South Elgin, Illinois

64 months ago

I recently heard about this website (www.riteadvantage.com)that offers mock registry software and learning software.
Since I had heard good things, and I was ready to start studying for my physics boards. I took the RITE Advantage Radiography Physics exam, which is a mock registry. At around 670 questions, covering everything in the ARRT outline, it made me aware of what areas I needed to focus on. It also contains almost 200 anatomy question. Better yet, it was very similar to the actual registry, and you are even able to mark answers for later review, click on anatomy to answer questions, get a brake down of your score into different areas.
I can honestly say that I passed my boards the first time because of these discs. I can't wait until they come out with more discs!

MsTech22 in South Elgin, Illinois

64 months ago

I also visited www.riteadvantage.com, but I have never tried the RITE Advantage Radiography Physics exam. I did try the RITE Advantage MRI Physics exam though, and it is great. I also passed on the first try. This exam offer 800 questions that also outline what is seen on the ARRT and have lots of anatomy too. It is the cheapest exam that I have found on the market for the price.
I agree, I don't think I could have passed my boards without this exam.

igor in La Crosse, Wisconsin

64 months ago

I was looking at a 1 year MRI technologist program offered in Woodbury, MN. Now I am not sure it's any good. They said you will be ARMRIT certified, but didn't say anything about AART.

Also, it's a 1 year program and I am afraid I will not be offered any jobs after paying a HIGH amount for the school. Now I think it's a scam.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

errol s in Tampa, Florida

64 months ago

Hi there,you must read some of the comments. Most of it is true. They are all trying to make make money. They are all trying to sell you something. Presently, I can give you some names of Full Fledged RT CT MRI Licensed and certified MRI.............UNABLE TO FIND WORK. Honestly,things are tough all over. Jobs are hard to come by. There is no movement in this field. People are holding on to their present positions....Economy...you know. The media is saying that The Medical field is booming . Presently, some companies are offering a low salary and you would have to work on commission 20 or 25 $ per pt after 40 pts per week. What happens when the marketer goes on vacation, will you have enough pts so you can have a full paycheck? Anyway, I dont mean to sound negative but, that's whats going on "OUT THERE". What did Tarzan say to Jane?..........IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE.
"DOG EAT DOG"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

I agree with Erro s in Tampa. I completed aa 1 year program from a reputable college and got my ARRT MR registry in July of 08 and have had maybe 10 interviews with no job offers. They all want someone who can walk in with no orientation or training to that particular job. Or they want 3-5 years or more experience.

I actually had a mobile company tell me they would have to give me a training wage for a year...I have had over a year and a half scanning experience on 3 different magnets including a 3T!!! What a kick in the stomach that insult was.It is an employers market and management has been extremely rude. I long for the days that there were sign on bonuses and you could almost name your wage.

The schools and online courses have ruined it for us old time techs. The sad thing is that they are hiring brand new RT's and training them in MRI so they do not have to pay them. A slap in the face to those of us who worked our butts off.

You can blame the ARRT for allowing the schools to operate. They want the memmbership as do the schools. I was also told that many techs are getting laid off so they can hire new techs for less. So much for loyalty. It is all about money and sadly, that is not why I went into the field as many of the newbies have. I am ready to bail.

I recently heard that if you are registered after 2010, you will have to retake the registry exams every 10 years and those of us before will not. So that will get rid of some of the slackers.

Yep, dog eat dog! Or man eat man.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tech007 in South Elgin, Illinois

64 months ago

If I were you, I would fear the same. If you want to make sure you will have a job out of MRI school, look into what you need to get ARRT certified. If you are a certified radiography technologist already, you don't even have to go to a school, you can just study on your own and take the ARRT exam and qualify on 120 exams.
If you are a certifed radiography technologist, and looking at studying for your MRI boards, I can give you the name of some really helpful books. I have been looking into it myself.
I sweared by RITE Advantage Radiography Physics practice exam to prepare, and I hear the RITE Advantage MRI physics exam is great too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.