Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What are typical machine operator salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Joe A. in Franklin Park, Illinois

89 months ago

The term "machine operator" is very generic and can refer to many
different types of work.I personally have worked in the bindery
area of printing industry in the Chicago area where saleries go
from $20.00 to $25.00 per HR. However I've been out of work since
late January when the co. I worked for 20+Yrs. descided to cease
operation of it's Chicago division! I've seen many jobs posted as
"machine opertor" on line that are offering compensation of $10.00
$12.00,$14.00 per Hr.So typical could range from $10.00 to well
over $25.00 per Hr. depending on the kind of machines being operated and the experience of the operator with the machine involved. I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim Langille in Corpus Christi, Texas

35 months ago

Host said: What are typical machine operator salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Machine Operator is a generic term to indicate a low experience/skill level craftsperson in the manufacturing or machine shop industry. They normally only operate a machine that has been previously set up by a skilled set up or proof person. Adding machine control skills such as changing offsets, set up and programming in the CNC areas adds significantly to the pay. Work in the precision manufacturing sector in the medical and petrochemical industries also adds to the pay. In to Gulf Coast Region experienced manual and CNC machinists earn $26-40 per hour plus benefits. Many shops require you to provide your own tools which can be a large investment. Others furnish most tools to ensure calibration and conformance to Quality Control standards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.