employment for felons!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 98)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

jarrell in Dolton, Illinois

76 months ago

i need a job very but i have an class x felony in my background so its difficult to find employment.Is there someone who can help me find a good job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (293) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

Indeed Admin in Stamford, Connecticut

76 months ago

Jarrell - It may be difficult, but there are ways to make your job search more effective. First, contact local human services in your area to see if they offer programs and support for ex-felons who are re-entering the work force. Try Metropolitan Family Services in Chicago as they may be able to help you find companies that may be willing to hire ex-felons. Take advantage of what ever job you can, no matter how small, to start rebuilding your experience and credibility. Don't overlook personal contacts and friends that will be able to vouch for your character and may be less wary to take a chance on you. Above all else, be professional and confident. The right attitude and interpersonal skills will help you in the long run. I hope this helps and good luck with your search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tmjackson in Bronx, New York

57 months ago

I have never done actual jail time. I am on probation for a felony. I am attending college for my degree. Will this still affect my chances of obtainning a good job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Us in Indianapolis, Indiana

55 months ago

michael hartley in Findlay, Ohio said: i am in need of a job but i have felonies on my record i am a good worker but with the economy down i cant find a job anywhere can anyone help me?

You can help yourself. The hunt for a job in itself is challenging. if you focus on the fact that you have a felony then yo are setting yourself up to fail everytime. You have to take this a step at at time. Taking whatever you can get jobs is very realistic and very practical. One thing to consider is this; why are you taking this job aside from the fact that you need it. is it going to build your work history and in like terms serve as a tool you establish and reinforce the marketability of your name. Is this job something that will support the kind of reputation that I am trying to establish? Very often in the job market felons no matter how many degrees you have are viewed aas a grade C, or D commodity. This is in part due to the fact of our situations when we hit the bricks. We want and need to make an earnest effort at getting our lives in balance. The need to be self sufficient drives us and it breaks us down. being a felon means that you can spend your entire life doing tow things; you can be lost in the idea of trying and filling your nights and days up with it yet viod of results. You can get caught up in what other people think that your life should be, or you can make the choice to face your life. It is going to be painful, no good deed will go unpunished, but for every person that you meet that doubts you instinctively you will believe in yourself three times as much. Most likely what you need in your life God needs from you so that you can face your life on God's terms and not your own, or anyone elses. I can help you with taking the steps you need to create a campaign, keeping your resume fluent, managing your down time, creating newsletters, tactical blogs, creating a social network and more. sedrickhawkins1977@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Us in Indianapolis, Indiana

55 months ago

michael hartley in Findlay, Ohio said: i am in need of a job but i have felonies on my record i am a good worker but with the economy down i cant find a job anywhere can anyone help me?

Michael Hartley,
hello my name is Sedrick Hawkins. I am 32 years of age from Indianapolis. I have numerous felonies. Like you I am searching for balance in my life and I have learned quite a few things along the way. I have been to college 3 times and I have a wealth of experience in the streets as well as a formal education. I want to help you face your life on a new set of terms. I want to help you face your life on God's terms. How to get the results that you need instead of filling your days up with trying, failing and taking handout jobs out of desperation. I know what it means to be in need because provision is made for my life each and everyday. I am here to help you take practical, tactical and strong steps to get you where you need to be in your situation. We have to help eachother and I am here for you if you are serious aboutbeing there for yourself. sedrickhawkins1977@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Corey Ross in Charlotte, North Carolina

53 months ago

I was an ex-convict for almost 2years searching desperately for my breakthrough. I realize that if you trust and wait on the Lord he'll make a way for you. The time spent in prison I read mysteries, fictions and non-fiction never fantacy cause I realize this is the real world so I have no time for non-sense. I strive each and everyday to accomplish something positive if its at least giving a compliment here and there. I am a people person never lacking in humor. I am interested in counseling work (Human Services). I work well with others as a team player giving my full attention to the task ahead of me and pondering on the task to come.I don't have the best work history but my strong work ethic makes up for it. I am seeking any available position in counseling or at least training to reach the position I desire. Restaurant services, I am familiar with such as the following: cook,cashier,expo,dishwasher,working with customers and building one-on-one relationships with co-workers. I am friendly and multi-talented and I never let anyone get in the way of my duties instructed by the instructor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jkubart@wi.rr.com in Kenosha, Wisconsin

45 months ago

where can I find even a laborer job in kenosha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

kimmy in Indianapolis, Indiana

44 months ago

Hello my name is kim an i had just been convicted of a class D felony for driving as a HTV.I had already been on my job for close to a year an just yesterday they found out about my felony an let me go after all the hard work i had out in ther.Now im not really sure about what to do.All i no is work im 30years an i have always been able to get a good job but now it is harded then i ever thought.Please email me if you no of any jobs in the Indianapolis In area at kemba.mcafee@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

nickij88@yahoo.com in Findlay, Ohio

44 months ago

i wish people would stop being so judgemental when it comes to felons. i am a convicted felon. i have three violent felonies and i have been out of prison for almost a year now. i still can not find a job. it is very hard and people never forget that you have felons and what they are for. people make mistakes and most diserve a second chance. as for ignorant people: sometimes its just from being at the wrong place at the wrong time like in my situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Zo in Washington, District of Columbia

41 months ago

First and foremost, forgive yourself for “feeling guilty”, accept the past, realize it happened for a reason and move forward with optimism. Believe your son that he doesn’t blame you and relieve yourself from any future self-blame. As someone who also has a felon on his record, I can attest that my actions are the reason I have a criminal record. Basically, I must own up to the consequences of my actions, and it seems this is what your son has done which is why he doesn’t blame you and shouldn’t blame you. On another note, I think it is a great gain that the two of you are collaboratively coming to terms with your son and his brother’s passing. Trust and believe he is in a better place, called for a reason.
In regards to your son’s job search, here’s some advice:
It’s a numbers game. Sometimes you have to submit a million applications, in order to be considered for 5, and by God’s grace be hired for 1. Another great method to landing a job is to network, network, network. Contact credible individuals you know or people in a field you are interested and let them know your intentions of finding a job opportunity. Also, instead of saying “job” say “opportunity”, “job opportunity” or “career opportunity”. Always be upfront and disclose your felony conviction when asked. One of the best methods is to try to make sure you can converse with a manager or the company in general so you can give an explanation of your conviction in your own words. In these days and times of technology, as you probably know most applications are filled out and filtered out online. There is rarely anymore handing in of applications, which actually gives you a great opportunity to show face. So if you are able to do that at anytime, take advantage of that method, be professional and ask great questions. Take what you can get, when you can get it and always be ready for your blessing. You have to live what you believe and expect what you want to receive. Patience is a huge key.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

(Continued from above)...Patience is a huge key. Sometimes things happen when we want, sometimes they don’t, but God is always on-time. Be faithful, positive and show love to everyone. I know I’m going off on many tangents but this is how I converse and convey messages. The bottom-line is that you can do it, you will do it, and it’s already done. The most important thing to remember is that it is doable, and with God nothing is impossible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cebowes

41 months ago

Indeed Admin in Stamford, Connecticut said: Jarrell - It may be difficult, but there are ways to make your job search more effective.
First, contact local human services in your area to see if they offer programs and support for ex-felons who are re-entering the work force. Try Metropolitan Family Services in Chicago as they may be able to help you find companies that may be willing to hire ex-felons.
Take advantage of what ever job you can, no matter how small, to start rebuilding your experience and credibility.
Don't overlook personal contacts and friends that will be able to vouch for your character and may be less wary to take a chance on you.
Above all else, be professional and confident. The right attitude and interpersonal skills will help you in the long run.

I hope this helps and good luck with your search!

I have been trying since Oct. but everyone is out of work and they are hired first. My conviction is two yrs. old and no relief insight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

cebowes said: I have been trying since Oct. but everyone is out of work and they are hired first. My conviction is two yrs. old and no relief insight.

Also, try server/waiter positions. They usually need help and you can make great tips. Like a Ruby Tuesdays or T.G.I. Fridays.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

YorkiePud in Gardendale, Alabama

41 months ago

I agree with Lisa, especially if you have 3 felonies. Obeying the law isn't that hard. Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but to get a felony X is no mistake. Why should anyone feel bad for someone who can't obey the law?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

YorkiePud in Gardendale, Alabama said: I agree with Lisa, especially if you have 3 felonies. Obeying the law isn't that hard. Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but to get a felony X is no mistake. Why should anyone feel bad for someone who can't obey the law?

That may be true, "Obeying the law isn't that hard.", as YorkiePud said. However, when you allow yourself to view things from a variety of perspectives you start to think and see things differently. For instance, there may be strongholds and struggles that you deal with that I, if choosing to be ignorant, can say it's not that hard not to cheat, it's not that hard not to curse, it's not that hard to be nice to people, etc. The significance you forget is that "no one" is perfect. Who are we to choose who deserves an opportunity and who doesn't, because of their past we allow it to haunt and hinder their future. Utilizing the belittling mechanism of condemnation only creates division. Negative energy is spewed into a thought of why anyone should feel bad for an individual with a record when instead, no one is looking for sympathy but an opportunity. If you see someone in a repetitive cyclical pattern, don't be baffled by their actions as if this world is perfect and you and everyone you know is an angel. Show some love in anyway you know how and lend a hand. If you can't help the situation don't disrupt it. However, until you know one's full situation and circumstance in its entirety, you shouldn't jump to conclusions, and even then let him who is without sin be the first to cast the first stone. Basically, lets show love to one another. It's true, everyone is not for us and that's fine, but instead of using energy to be against someone try lending a hand. They say, "never look down on ANYONE, unless you're looking down to help them up."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Zo in Washington, District of Columbia said: That may be true, "Obeying the law isn't that hard.", as YorkiePud said. However, when you allow yourself to view things from a variety of perspectives you start to think and see things differently. For instance, there may be strongholds and struggles that you deal with that I, if choosing to be ignorant, can say it's not that hard not to cheat, it's not that hard not to curse, it's not that hard to be nice to people, etc. The significance you forget is that "no one" is perfect. Who are we to choose who deserves an opportunity and who doesn't, because of their past we allow it to haunt and hinder their future. Utilizing the belittling mechanism of condemnation only creates division. Negative energy is spewed into a thought of why anyone should feel bad for an individual with a record when instead, no one is looking for sympathy but an opportunity. If you see someone in a repetitive cyclical pattern, don't be baffled by their actions as if this world is perfect and you and everyone you know is an angel. Show some love in anyway you know how and lend a hand. If you can't help the situation don't disrupt it. However, until you know one's full situation and circumstance in its entirety, you shouldn't jump to conclusions, and even then let him who is without sin be the first to cast the first stone. Basically, lets show love to one another. It's true, everyone is not for us and that's fine, but instead of using energy to be against someone try lending a hand. They say, "never look down on ANYONE, unless you're looking down to help them up."

There are tons of people who have horrible lives, but they don't go out and commit felony after felony. Of course no one is perfect, but you don't have to be perfect to be a law abiding citizen. A felony is not a mistake, and is very serious. I would never want to work with a convicted felon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Lol...I wonder if you're just playing devil's advocate or something. Chances are...you probably have or do work with someone who was a convicted felon. I can tell you I made a mistake and got a felony, however, I don't regret it. I truly believe everything happens for a reason. Unfortunately, a poor decision led to a great invaluable experience, which motivated me to unleash my full potential in anything I aspire to accomplish in life. Like a relationship, marriage, etc., in life, there is no one correct path. Everyone has a journey that only he or she can fulfill. However, you say you wouldn't want to work with a convicted felon...why?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

People don't change, and I care about my personal safety. I wouldn't want someone who's been in prison with a felony to be around me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

YorkiePud in Gardendale, Alabama said: People don't change, and I care about my personal safety. I wouldn't want someone who's been in prison with a felony to be around me.

I can tell by your response that this has nothing to do with felonies. Your mindset seems similar to functional fixedness. "People don't change". With that statement alone it shows that you haven't taken much of the positive out of the experiences in your life. Any how, good luck and try hard to seek optimistic outlooks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

I have had a realization and would like to come back to tell the OP and everyone that I am sorry for my words. I should have known this, really. I am smarter than to sit here and generalize and judge people, when I'm telling other people not to do it. What a d*ck move of me. I sat here asking myself, why does this person not deserve a second chance? There is no reason. If one can take responsibility, do their time and come out wanting a better life, who am I to sit here telling them not to bother? My whole thought process was totally flawed about this topic. How mean of me. I'm not even a mean person and I have turned into what I dislike of people. So. I am sorry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

YorkiePud in Gardendale, Alabama said: I have had a realization and would like to come back to tell the OP and everyone that I am sorry for my words. I should have known this, really. I am smarter than to sit here and generalize and judge people, when I'm telling other people not to do it. What a d*ck move of me. I sat here asking myself, why does this person not deserve a second chance? There is no reason. If one can take responsibility, do their time and come out wanting a better life, who am I to sit here telling them not to bother? My whole thought process was totally flawed about this topic. How mean of me. I'm not even a mean person and I have turned into what I dislike of people. So. I am sorry.

Well said. I'm sure everyone here forgives you and trust you will most importantly, forgive yourself. Anyone can make a mistake, but it takes an even bigger person to acknowledge their wrongs, admit their mishaps, and move on with confidence and precision. Everything is intertwined because that's initially why this forum began, to show how people made mistakes and move on to the best of their abilities. Thanks for sharing your epiphany with us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

rhealove1@live.com in Detroit, Michigan

41 months ago

Hey, that's cool. I was pretty much the same way about a lot of different things. It's quick to judge until something happens to you or someone you love. I was homophobic until my son died from HIV. I was critical of felons until my other son got arrested, Now I see things in a different light. Maybe somethings happen in order to make us better people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christie in Nixa, Missouri

40 months ago

Your Average Citizen in Santa Ana, California said: Lisa,

You shouldn't be so judgmental and so small minded. It's people like you that make society a harder place for these individuals to re-integrate. If these individuals paid their debt to society then who are you or any one like you to deny them that chance.

I guarantee that you have broke the law at some point and time in your life. The only difference is, we got caught and you did not! It is closed minded people like you that do not believe that people can change. Guess what? They can!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ramiro Garcia in Des Plaines, Illinois

37 months ago

i caught three d.u.i. in the suburbs so my license was suspended for three years i had a job while i was getting those d.u.i. so i still had to drive to work .so on my way to work sober i would get stop by police and they would arrest me or driving with license suspended after getting stopped numerous times without my license they decided to give me a felony and i got incarcerated for a year lost my job of 8 years in manufacturing for clorox 23 dollar an hour job. im a great worker but now with a felony for driving in my background employers dont ask or dont care how i got the felony but that i got one now,and i cant find a job because i got a felony for driving to work i knew the consequences driving to work but my kids were the reason i would take that chance now i need to get back into the workforce i wouldve retired for the company i worked for. trapper_year@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shawn51309 in Glendora, New Jersey

37 months ago

hey man i really need the help text me at doublecard2@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

That's really bad and I feel for you. I can only say to you what I say to my son who has a felony and that is to keep the faith, all things are possible if you just hold on and stay true to yourself and trust in the Lord. I gave him his first and only felony for coming into my house after I had thrown him out. He gave me know other choice but to call the police, other wise he would have continued or tried someone else. He did 5 months in jail. I feel so bad because he continues to get turned down for jobs he applies for. just like you said though no one cares how he got it, it was only suppose to teach him a lesson, but it all went wrong. Hopefully both of you will get a second chance, everyone deserves one. I'll keep you in my prayers that your break will happen soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Wow I feel your pain! I will keep you in my prayers. I still have hope for my son. He got his first and only felony from me when I kicked him out of my house, he decided to come back in by breaking my window out. Little did IO know that I would be giving him a felony. I was just trying to teach him a lesson when I called the police on him. Nevertheles he spent 5 months in the county for home invasion. It was'nt suppose to go that way, but it did. Hopefully he can get it taken off his record because it's been almost 5 years this coming may. We'll see.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

babs in Kenosha, Wisconsin

34 months ago

im having trouble finding employment since moving back to kenosha. i have a felony conviction that is 18 years old and it is haunting me to this day. i'm a totally different person from back then and have a good work history from when i lived in illinois. my last job being a cook at the great lakes navy base for seven years before being laid off almost a year ago today. does anyone know of any assistance i can find in kenosha to help me with my job search ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Mount Prospect, Illinois

33 months ago

So I am a 27 year old young man..about 5 years ago while I was too busy to focus on my career, and was enrolled in community college with no real goals, partying and the favors led me to getting arrested. Now with 3 felony convictions for drug posessions and a dui, i am definately struggling in finding solid work. I bust my ass for no money with old friends who use me for labor to help them profit. I have got out of that job an enrolled in school. I am clean. The funny thing is, I am seen in the job market as flawed or not a commodity. The messed up thing is, I followed the way of mutual assosciates. I just put my family through hell as well, and my mother ended up calling the police after kicking me out as well. However, there are many young people around my age younger and older, and I'm positive in all generations, that drug use occurs. Drinking occurs. Partying occurs. So because I ended up gettin busted with a small amount of a controlled substance and a dui. I am a marked man??? I am not looking to compare or judge to another persons accolades, accomplishments, or responsibilities. However I am looked down upon by friends and assosciates who have led very similar lifestyles and avoided trouble...It does hurt inside to know that I cannot clear my name for about 20 dollars worth of drugs when I was 22-23. I am smart, confident, good looking, intelligent and quick, and I am dedicated to bettering my life. I guess humility, and a positive drive may help. But I am in need of assist and maybe some feedback on how you people view a young good looking man, raised right, with a multiple felony background.... ps every job that i have applied for in the past 3 years i have been hired, except for when my background is checked. But on a personal level when interviewed, 9 out of 10 I would be hired. I am studying buisness admin at a local community college... I am truly worried about my future and the time and stuff that I have to repay and redo.

33 months ago

i can understand just how you feel as i also have a felony conviction that is 18 years old . i havent had many problems getting employment after my release but now adays it is a contributing factor. staying positive is about all i have to hang onto right now since getting laid off from my last job which i was at for 7 years. you would think with a work history as mine it wouldnt be difficult but it is. 18 years is a lifetime ago but unfortunately that old saying " you've paid your debt to society " doesnt actually apply to anyone convicted of a felony. just keep on doing what your doing and things will get better. GOD BLESS

Zo in Silver Spring, Maryland

33 months ago

To "Chris in Mount Prospect, Illinois"

I can tell you off the break I have made a mistake in my past, so I can relate. I am also 27 years old and 8 years ago I learned an invaluable lesson, paid my debt to society and recidivism is not an option for me. The best advice I can give you is to put God first in all you say and do, and he shall direct your path. Do yourself a favor, don't allow your mind to let you worry about what is going on around you, with your past friends who were in the same position as you, yet were just fortunate not to get caught up. Understand that what happened to you happened for a reason, and believe it or not, you are in a better place than where you "could have been" had the Lord not held you in His hands, and no matter what it is looking like now, it's going to get better! I'm an individual who 8 years ago, got hit with a felony, turned my life around, went to community college, transferred to Howard University, was blessed with a lucrative income of $20/hr. while I was a student, received my degree last year, got flown out for an interview with Microsoft(all expense paid, rental car, food, hotel, flight, etc.), got the offer for 71k/yr w/great benefits, received the 5k relocation assistance funds, and a week before I was supposed to fly out and start had everything rescinded...because of my past. You see, I understand. This world will allow your past to haunt and hinder you when you've moved on, but you don't have to allow your past to hold you back. You've chosen a great thing which is to be optimistic and move on, so we're in the same boat. Get as much education as you can and take any opportunities that come your way because you never know which ones have the potential to allow you to be promoted. One thing I learned reading the Purpose Driven Life is that sometimes God wants to remind us that we don't belong to this world, so you just do your best in pleasing and praising Him and I know for a fact everything will be alright.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CHITOWN CHANCES in Doylestown, Pennsylvania

33 months ago

THERE ARE SEVERAL TRAINING PROGRAMS THAT ACCEPT FELONS AND INCLUDE HELP IN GETTING HIRED AND BEING BONDED. GREATER WEST TOWN TRAINING SACRAMENTO AVE. CHICAGO IS ONE. THERE ARE SEVERAL PAMPHLETS AVAILABLE AT THE 18TH ST. UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE, OF WHICH ALSO HAS COUNSELORS TRAINED THAT HELP FELONS REENTER WITH JOBS. STRIVE IS ANOTHER PROGRAM ALONG WITH OTHERS THAT OFFER JOB TRAINING AND PLACEMENT. THERE IS ALSO PROGRAMS AND PLACEMENTS FOR ELECTRICAL, CONSTRUCTION MEN AND WOMEN TRADES, HVAC, WELDING, CNC PROGRAMING, HOTEL HOSPITALITY, CHEF TRAINING ALL FOR FELONS SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND. YOU CAN FIND THIS INFORMATION @ I8TH ST UNEMPLOYMENT AND ONLINE. IMPROVE THE ODDS AND MAYBE TRY ONE OF THESE PROGRAMS. GOOD LUCK ALL AND GOD BLESS YOU.LAWNDALE HAS HELP FOR FELONS AS WELL AS GOODWILL ALL ON INTERNET.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Mount Prospect, Illinois

33 months ago

So..whats up guy from maryland and anyone else. I have been working basically all cash and labor jobs for five years 10 to 15 an hour. I just get physically jolted by the fact that i cannot expunge my record as is in illinois... ya man..getting offered a job at 71k an then to get declined must have been horrible. I have went through the same thing.. however I was unable to get a job at a couple of the most simplest of places..home depot..clear wireless. I am in school..I am just frustrated of having this mark on my background that will seemingly not be lifted and it denies jobs. I have good support and what not.. I am educating myself in buisness. I have helped run a landscaping and windows installation companies working decent enough hours. The money is not enough for the lifestyle that I am determined to live. I am just furious that more opportunity is not availiable for me. My mother has looked into bunch of jobs an things for felons. I jus cannot accept hardly that this will hold me down. I am confident of my ability to succeed and wish the same to everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christopher George Benton in Mount Prospect, Illinois

33 months ago

19 to 25 I was always on probation spent couple years of those years in county and in state prison. I paid my debt, have been clean for a reasonable amount of time. I have a pgood work history for past 5 years. It tough to find job that pays 15 or more an hr to start. You cannot describe an individual based on a couple simple arrests. I can't change what I did. I'll let you guys know if I pull a decent job somehow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Christopher George Benton in Mount Prospect, Illinois said: 19 to 25 I was always on probation spent couple years of those years in county and in state prison. I paid my debt, have been clean for a reasonable amount of time. I have a pgood work history for past 5 years. It tough to find job that pays 15 or more an hr to start. You cannot describe an individual based on a couple simple arrests. I can't change what I did. I'll let you guys know if I pull a decent job somehow.

I definitely feel you man, however, my solution for you is to, if you already haven't, SEEK GOD. Don't allow yourself to be in a frustrated state of mind. Yes, everyone has there moments but don't allow yourself to stay in a mindset of negativity. I went through everything you did and then some, but more importantly I believe, trust and hope in the promises God has made for my life. Every morning you wake up with new mercies aka new opportunities. For me, that's more than enough to keep me content. Thanking God that I didn't stay confined to the functional fixedness which initially led me down the wrong road. Think about it with me, remember back with me Chris, it could have been another way, we could be locked up with no opportunities of: going to school, working, or even looking for a job. Remember, being employed is not everything, don't get me wrong. It is significant and an important part of living in this world, however, remember what you are living for; God. Just remember, to get to where you want to go you have to start at where you are. Rome wasn't built in a day, but it also didn't take a lifetime. Be patient and converse with God. Remind yourself that you are here for a reason, you have a purpose. Sometimes what we want is not what God wants for us, and if He gave what we sometimes ask for, I'm sure we'd be begging Him to take it back, because ultimately he knows what's best for us. STAY OPTIMISTIC, have faith, hope, trust and believe that your time will come.

33 months ago

All on God's watch. Keep working hard. It's no secret that hard work pays off. Sometimes the best thing is to go "through" the struggles, hard-times, trials and tribulations so we can appreciate what God has done. Read this verse every morning 10 times and I bet your day will be A OK! Philippians 4:13

Roma in Central Islip, New York

33 months ago

Zo in Washington, District of Columbia said: I can tell by your response that this has nothing to do with felonies. Your mindset seems similar to functional fixedness. "People don't change". With that statement alone it shows that you haven't taken much of the positive out of the experiences in your life. Any how, good luck and try hard to seek optimistic outlooks.

Hi Yokie, what would you do if your mother was beaten by your step father and had to get many stiches over her left eye along with other urgent needed medical attention then he broke your jaw? MY SON REACTED TO THAT ACT OF HIS STEP FATHER AND THAT'S HOW HE HAS A FELON. SO U BE THE JUDGE OF THAT AND THIS SYSTEM. Please get wisdom and understanding before making a decision on others whom you have never met and why they have a felony.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

am26 in Stockbridge, Georgia

33 months ago

babs in Kenosha, Wisconsin said: i can understand just how you feel as i also have a felony conviction that is 18 years old . i havent had many problems getting employment after my release but now adays it is a contributing factor. staying positive is about all i have to hang onto right now since getting laid off from my last job which i was at for 7 years. you would think with a work history as mine it wouldnt be difficult but it is. 18 years is a lifetime ago but unfortunately that old saying " you've paid your debt to society " doesnt actually apply to anyone convicted of a felony. just keep on doing what your doing and things will get better. GOD BLESS

i agree and like what i read in one reply above about you the person with the felon, trouble finds you, you didnt go to it. it's hard out here in this world and it seems to not get any easier in finding a job. i was at my job, before being laid off last year, for 10/12 years, pregnant along with that and i'm hurting very much. i spent a couple of days in jail and now i'm on probation first offender. all we can do is pray and pray hard and it will come.

33 months ago

Thank you for your kind and encouraging remarks, i agree totally that PRAYERS are the answer to this on going problem, God is never fails. I humbly thank you again.

33 months ago

Thank you for your kind and encouraging remarks, i agree totally that PRAYERS are the answer to this on going problem, God is never fails. I humbly thank you again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sal in Las Vegas, Nevada

32 months ago

Hi everyone,im sal,wen i was 19 I met a girl who told me she was 17,going on 18,she deffinantly looked it,my problem at that time is that i belived her,turned out she was 15,i was with her for a while,i never questioned her,one day i was arrested,went to court,got a class D felonie couercion charge,pretty much meaning rape,i never went to prison,got 4 years probation,im 24 now,ive been lucky with a few jobs,about a year ago i was fired,i was tired of bieng treated like crap at the job,so i stood up for myself BIG MISTAKE that was,i applied at many places but no luck,everywhere i apply people look at me as if im gunna kill or hurt them,pretty much i wanna know is,is there any hope for me to ever find a job,im a peacefull guy,i just got lied to,and was stupid enough to belive.if someone has advice for me please,please,im losing hope,i can't find a reason to go on no more.if any 1 could throw some advice my way ill be very thankful,sal702@hotmail.com, MAY GOD BLESS U ALL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Johnnie in Everett, Massachusetts

32 months ago

sal in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hi everyone,im sal,wen i was 19 I met a girl who told me she was 17,going on 18,she deffinantly looked it,my problem at that time is that i belived her,turned out she was 15,i was with her for a while,i never questioned her,one day i was arrested,went to court,got a class D felonie couercion charge,pretty much meaning rape,i never went to prison,got 4 years probation,im 24 now,ive been lucky with a few jobs,about a year ago i was fired,i was tired of bieng treated like crap at the job,so i stood up for myself BIG MISTAKE that was,i applied at many places but no luck,everywhere i apply people look at me as if im gunna kill or hurt them,pretty much i wanna know is,is there any hope for me to ever find a job,im a peacefull guy,i just got lied to,and was stupid enough to belive.if someone has advice for me please,please,im losing hope,i can't find a reason to go on no more.if any 1 could throw some advice my way ill be very thankful,sal702@hotmail.com, MAY GOD BLESS U ALL.

Sal

Keep your head up and never forget you are human. It is a system that determines that your un-fit to better your life after being charged and committed as a felon. Please remember in your search that the system attempt to delete your motivation, your will, your dreams, your chances, your hopes, your credibility and your success. In response to this system of negative opnion, and purposeful judgement you must remember that your asking to do a service and be paid for a service that you may be better at, more productive with, pay more attenion too, have stronger problem solving abilities and/or capabilities then those individuals applying for the same job that never had a felon or arrest on their backround check.

You see the system is pre-judgemental and unforgiving and is made up of individules no different then yourself other than not having a felony. Stay strong continue to pursue you dreams and advertise your qualifications!

32 months ago

sal in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hi everyone,im sal,wen i was 19 I met a girl who told me she was 17,going on 18,she deffinantly looked it...

Listen to Johnnie in Everett, there is very real and true advice in there.

First and foremost, remember that a job/profession/career does not make or break your life. You are greater to God than what this world deems you qualified for. If you are not close to God, get there. You will learn that greater He that is in me than he that is in the world. If you are already on that level than you know what I speak of. I also want to let you know that this world is designed to break you if you don't believe you can do. Have a can do attitude and watch your life get filled with an "it's already done spirit". All things happen for a reason, and believe me what doesn't kill you will surely make you stronger...but more importantly you want it to make you smarter. I've been through and I can relate to the social, economic and financial ruins that come with having a felony. However, the rain won't last forever, the sun will shine again. What I am saying is that sometimes you just have to wait out the storm or learn to dance in the rain, but the rain will eventually end and the storm will go away. Patience is key, learn it well and it will benefit you greatly. Yes, you need a source of income to somewhat survive in this world, and you will get that if you haven't already. Try your best to be optimistic and make the best of your situation. Be content and understand that it really isn't that bad...if only you knew, someone would love to be in your shoes right now. Believe, be optimistic, have patience and seek God...and see for yourself.

32 months ago

that was so inspiring. thank you

32 months ago

babs in Kenosha, Wisconsin said: that was so inspiring. thank you

Thanks...I'm just the vessel.

sal in Las Vegas, Nevada

32 months ago

MY FRIENDS THANK U SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE,IVE BEEN A FELON SINCE I WAS 19,IM 24 NOW,SINCE THEN IVE HAD CRAP LUCK,I WAS LIED TO BY A 15 YR OLD WHO SED SHE WAS 17 GOING ON 18.I RECIVED A CLASS D FELONY.I WAS GIVING UP BUT UR REPLYS HAVE INCOURAGED ME.EVERYONE WHO COMES TO THIS SITE IS FOR 1 REASON WE HAVE A FELONY/FELONIES OR WE HAVBE SOMEONE WE LOVE WHO HAS ONE,ITS TRUE THEY WONT GIVE US JOBS,AND WHAT EVER JOBS WE GET ARE JUNK JOBS,THATS IF WE ARE LUCKY,WHY ARE WE BEING TREATED LIKE THIS,BECUSE WE ARE LETTING OURSELVES,THEY TELL US U HAVE A FELONY LIVE WITH IT,SOCIETY TREATS US LIKE SECOND CLASS CITIZENS FOR ERRORS OF OUR PAST,WE NEED TO CHANGE THAT,I JUST WROTE A LETTER TO THE COURTS ASKING WHY DO THEY TREAT US LIKE THIS,THERE ARE THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF US,IF WE BAND TOGETHER,WE CAN CHANGE THINGS,IF NOT FOR US THEN FOR OUR CHILDREN,OUR WIFE'S,OUR HUSBANDS.EVERYONE PLEASE WRITE A LETTER TO UR MAYOR,STATE,ANYONE,WE HAVE TO CHANGE THINGS,WE ALL DESERVE ANOTHER CHANCE.GOD BLESS US ALL,AND PROTECT US FOR WE ARE HUMANS AND WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES,BUT OUR MISTAKES SHUD NEVER HANG ABOVE OUR HEADS,WE ARE ALL A FAMILY FOR WE ARE ALL BEING DISCRIMINATED AGINST,AND LAST TIME I HEARD DISCRIMINATION WAS ILLIGAL!!!!

32 months ago

sal in Las Vegas, Nevada said: MY FRIENDS THANK U SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE,IVE BEEN A FELON SINCE I WAS 19,IM 24 NOW,SINCE THEN IVE HAD CRAP LUCK,I WAS LIED TO BY A 15 YR OLD WHO SED S...

So true! I am in the process of trying to initiate a group to fight against this inequality against felons. I understand some have not learned, however, society shouldn't just judge the book by the cover. We should be viewed on a case by case basis; from what we've done since, where are mindset is now, and what goals we've accomplished etc. My felony of robbery was stupid, yes, stupid adolescent me when I was 19 got a robbery conviction hanging out with the wrong people. I got no jail time, served 18months house arrest like Martha Stewart, 3 years probation where I only saw a probation officer twice in the 3 years, held steady jobs, went back to school, attended Howard University and got my degree in Information Systems in the School of Business because I believed in investing in my future through education, was in the Washington Post for giving a speech in front of County Executives for helping in the community, Sunday School teacher and avid church goer, was flown out for a job by "MICROSOFT", all expense paid flight, hotel, rental car, food, etc. Got the $71k offer, and got everything rescinded a week before my start date even after they sent out the $5k relocation funds and I had my apartment. So trust me, I understand the injustice that is going on...however, let me also encourage all as I am doing to keep being optimistic and moving forward with passion and precision. The world can try and knock you down, but it is up to you if you will fall or not, and even if you fall which we all do sometimes...will you pick yourself up? The scripture says, "we are more than conquerors"! Trust me, I believe, because I could have been down and out for the count. However, I believe in God, I know he's promised me great things and I expect it! Be encouraged and stay strong!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

lshaw1031 in Fort Myers, Florida

32 months ago

YorkiePud in Gardendale, Alabama said: People don't change, and I care about my personal safety. I wouldn't want someone who's been in prison with a felony to be around me.

I disagree with you completely, im only 19 years olds and I got straight a's in high and I got in an abusive relationship and my now ex boyfriend stole something and didnt tell me about it and he got me to sell it and when it was time to press charges on someone the cops came after me and my ex boyfriend let me take all the charge and completely denied stealing it and having anything to do with it. So dont sit there and say your afraid of all felons because im the nicest person you would probably ever meet in your life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike V in Meriden, Connecticut

32 months ago

Can any 1 help me find work in Ct I have 1 felony and can not find any kind of work I have been a carpenter for over 30 years and have never had any problem with finding work before I have payed my debit 2 society and need to support my family PLS any help is appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

obviously you are a very mentally ill person to wish such a horrible thing on another person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.