Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

gerrit in Grant, Michigan

75 months ago

Iam 59yearsold and have applied at a number of companies they dont seem to want us older guys even though we have the experiance and know how and also they think we will only be there for a few years till we retire or die

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

dj722009 in Monroe, Wisconsin

68 months ago

I would think that is the biggest reason. Personally I like working with the older TECH's, they know alot. Its just a matter of getting it from them. LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

gerrit verheij in zeeland, Michigan

68 months ago

we dont always just give our experiances you have to want to learn then you can learn from me ive worked maintenance for 37 years not that ive seen it all but ive always been willing to teach or show any one when theyre willing to lissen and learn,

Bonstance in Jacksonville, Florida

68 months ago

Yes, age is a problem with some companies, but not all of them. I know of two great companies that really don't care what your age is and they are so successful and not suffering from the bad economy. They offer great services that everyone needs in this bad economy. You just need to rethink your career and move on to another field that will provide you the income that you need. I will be happy to introduce you to those companies - just contact me at boneycooks@aol.com

dj722009 in Monroe, Wisconsin

68 months ago

The place I come from, if you cant figure it out your pretty much on your own. Its a hard way to learn. But the info is instilled into your brain because of it. Personally I would have loved to work with older techs that know alot about a place and equipment. They have alot of knowledge and experience. The last two places I have been at, they just dont seem to be that way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

if you have to want to learn there is no reason for the older techs to teach anyone but maybe theyer afraid you will show them up or put them out of a job. myself i enjoy showing others the ropes and there is always two ways of loking at things the younger guys do comup whith some good ideas. but the older guys wont admit it. always give credit where credit is due. but dont be cocky about it. thats one thing us older guys dont care for in youger techs

68 months ago

are any of the companys you refered to in the holland zeeland michigan erea thats where im at and still looking for a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

You can work these companies anywhere in the United States or Canada.

techman in Warner Robins, Georgia

68 months ago

Bonstance in Jacksonville, Florida said: You can work these companies anywhere in the United States or Canada.

please give me name of companies you speak about

68 months ago

I will be more than glad to give you the names of the companies, but you must email me directly and not thru Indeed.com. Once I give the information, if you have any questions, I will be glad to answer.

FYTHELER in Austin, Texas

66 months ago

Bonstance in Jacksonville, Florida said: I will be more than glad to give you the names of the companies, but you must email me directly and not thru Indeed.com. Once I give the information, if you have any questions, I will be glad to answer.

Uh huh, I'm UNEMPLOYED after many years in the Custom Manufacturing Services (industry for computers) and understand that repair of computers has a bright future. However, I understand too that nothing is free and if something sounds too good to be true it usually is. (Been there, done that. Ya' know?) So, how much do YOU want for all this "SERVICE" your graciously offer?

66 months ago

gerrit verheij in zeeland, Michigan said: we dont always just give our experiances you have to want to learn then you can learn from me ive worked maintenance for 37 years not that ive seen it all but ive always been willing to teach or show any one when theyre willing to lissen and learn,

GERRIT, sir- What kind of maintenance have you worked? Have you done much tiny work on instrumentation? Have you ever considered working for a (non-GSA or DARPA)"Start-up" private robotics firm? (It's something fresh, NEW and different dedicated to Baby-Boomers at home)And this furlough from employment has offered me the time to enhance my entrepreneurial Venture Capitalist search.(NO, I'M NOT LOOKING FOR INVESTERS HERE!!)...I'm looking for TRUE diverse experience, not 'kiddies'.If interested please reply, if not pass it on.

66 months ago

FYTHELER, no this is not for free. It is offering a service to people in this bad economy who need help with legal matters, foreclosure, bankruptcy, divorce, IRS, or whatever it may be. I would be glad to send you to my website or share information with you. You can email me at www.boneycooks@aol.com if you want to take a look at this. All I can do is offer and it's up to you if you want to look at it. Sorry, but it's not in your field of work, but sometimes you have to go into something new. I was in the banking industry for 15 years and then decided to change to something totally different. I wish you the best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Thank you for reply & clarification. Like many, in this country, I'm looking for gainful employment, not looking to spend more of what I don't have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

I truly understand. But I offer the service to help people and that's just what I do because I love my job. Some people need a place to go to work everyday or just rather work for someone else. Each to his own. I respect that. Again, I wish the best and good luck. Have a great day!

Gwen in Randleman, North Carolina

66 months ago

gerrit in Grant, Michigan said: Iam 59yearsold and have applied at a number of companies they dont seem to want us older guys even though we have the experiance and know how and also they think we will only be there for a few years till we retire or die

The age of the person conducting the interview makes a difference. You probably don't want to work for anyone under 40. Perception is not that we are skilled, smart, and competition, but that we are old and less capable. I address the length of work problem up front. I say I am "looking for a long term job". Irony is that 20 somethings job hop and generally have no long term plans with any company. They have a career path. So having someone who is committing mentally at least to 5-9 years should be a plus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Al in Seattle, Washington

44 months ago

I just wish age was'nt so important at 52 I still can get the task done... looking for a operating Engineers position...

doliversr in Jacksonville, Florida

20 months ago

gerrit in Grant, Michigan said: Iam 59yearsold and have applied at a number of companies they dont seem to want us older guys even though we have the experiance and know how and also they think we will only be there for a few years till we retire or die

Iknow what mean Im 57 and have a medicail problem Icant wear my top dentures Icant get the time of day

doliversr in Jacksonville, Florida

20 months ago

Bonstance in Jacksonville, Florida said: Yes, age is a problem with some companies, but not all of them. I know of two great companies that really don't care what your age is and they are so successful and not suffering from the bad economy. They offer great services that everyone needs in this bad economy. You just need to rethink your career and move on to another field that will provide you the income that you need. I will be happy to introduce you to those companies - just contact me at boneycooks@aol.com

Im 57 yr. old industril mech. cant find work .my email doliversr@att.net jacksonville

Keithbielawne@yahoo.com in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

11 months ago

gerrit verheij in zeeland, Michigan said: if you have to want to learn there is no reason for the older techs to teach anyone but maybe theyer afraid you will show them up or put them out of a job. myself i enjoy showing others the ropes and there is always two ways of loking at things the younger guys do comup whith some good ideas. but the older guys wont admit it. always give credit where credit is due. but dont be cocky about it. thats one thing us older guys dont care for in youger techs

I had a good job and had to go on temp disability .Though the person would not assist me at all!
Being new on the job his remark would be they hired you,Go trace out the elec supply yourself!
Figure out the a/c program yourself! Figure out payroll entry yourself.On power failures transfer switches would have to be thrown by hand,I'm talking high voltage 4 safety reasons a crash course would have been good so u didn't send Elec back to a a lineman!!! Just afraid I would show him up! I would always share my knowledge
With a new tech just to keep people safe...

Tony LeRoy in Georgia

6 months ago

A lot of companies look as older guys (especially technicians) to be set in their own ways and unable to do a task in a new way. Its a bad way to think but unfortunately that is way it is.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.