tranferable skills maintenace technician, maintence mechanic

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

duane crohn in Minneapolis, Minnesota

55 months ago

I have been a toolmaker machinists for 25 years and am presently going to school for maintenance technician but dont get any replys on my job search. There are not many things I am unable to do and repair or just plain create it., from scratch if need be. I was just wondering if there are any other people that are over qualified for jobs that get know reply. It must be bad out there I see the same jobs keep coming up over and over again. Why just not hire me (or the qualified person) and get it over with.I pick up quik to, who says you cant teach old dogs new tricks. If your out there please reply! The Dewster

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jason Sode in Lawton, Oklahoma

36 months ago

duane crohn in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I have been a toolmaker machinists for 25 years and am presently going to school for maintenance technician but dont get any replys on my job search. There are not many things I am unable to do and repair or just plain create it., from scratch if need be. I was just wondering if there are any other people that are over qualified for jobs that get know reply. It must be bad out there I see the same jobs keep coming up over and over again. Why just not hire me (or the qualified person) and get it over with.I pick up quik to, who says you cant teach old dogs new tricks. If your out there please reply! The Dewster

You still looking? Is relocating an option?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ralph H. in Independence, Wisconsin

29 months ago

David in Dallas, Texas said: Dude I recently graduated form an Industrial Maintenance Program from a community college in August. I moved out here to DFW Texas which has the healthiest industrial market in the country right now. I have applied for hundreds of postings in the last 6 months and had a fair share of interviews. I am still yet to get hired by anyone. Employers do not really honor schooling for Industrial Maintenance. They may act as if they are impressed with your schooling and training but they will choose the guy who has the most experience on the field. You also have to compete with guys who are currently employed but just want to leave their jobs for better wages or dont like their supervisors which makes it harder for us guys who paid tuition to learn the trade but cannot land an Industrial Maintenance job to save our life. And another thing I feel that is working against me is that I am not white! I never see black technicians let alone black operators in alot of the small business facilities I got to. I feel I have a better chance applying with larger manufacturing businesses because they value diversity more then the smaller businesses.

Hello from the North,
In reading your comment, many thoughts ran through my head.. Like for example some HR or Human Resources groups have much to be desired. How can some one sitting behind a desk, with no knowledge have the ability to judge something they know nothing about? On the other hand they sence demenor, your disposition, they look for passion. Not to be judgemental, but,,, when tech's come out of their training they feel that they are shovel ready, meaning they can do it all. I have not experienced this, in my years of being a maintenance tech. Every company has unique needs. All mechanical needs are not the same. So I have a couple of questions,are you 6sigma trained at least a green belt, do you know how to use search engines such as a AS400, or CMMS system for parts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.