What are the best maintenance technician qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a maintenance technician? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective maintenance technician?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

mike_edwards63@comcast.net in Aurora, Colorado

70 months ago

I am looking for information that could help with upcoming interview for Multi-Family residential Maintenance Technician posistion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Garseneau in Rockford, Illinois

65 months ago

I have found a local Junior College that offers several different Technician training curricula (aviation maintenance, building construction, Electronic engineering, manufacturing engineering, facilities, etc.). These courses are available online to some extent. I personally took individual classes on an "as needed" basis, an adult education welding course through a local high school, a basic home wiring course through the same high school, a PLC's and ladder logic course through the college, a hydraulic and pneumatics course through the same college. The best training I received along the way was by asking so many questions that the old timers got sick of me and spilled their guts to get rid of me!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Ty in Phoenix in Phoenix, Arizona

43 months ago

I spent 4 months of nights and weekends at Quality school of Air-Conditioning in Las Vegas while I worked days doing start-ups and easy warranty-service calls at a large AC installer in new construction. Best payoff on an investment of time I ever had. I work in apartment maintenance now, and with that technical diploma and the skills that came with it, I know I have a job even with 10% unemployment because not everybody has these specialized skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

nicobria in Festus, Missouri

36 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a maintenance technician? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective maintenance technician?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

These are the things that you would need to look into when thinking about getting into this field; welding (mig ,tig, stick and cutting), machine shop ( lathe, mill and other machine shop tools), electrical, hydraulics, pneumatics, mill wright rigging and PLC'S. I hope this informationwas of use to you. If you have any other questions please feel free to shoot me an email.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Michael C in Bellflower, California

33 months ago

I have acquired many maintenance skills over the years such as HVAC/R, component level electrical, plumbing, pumps, heaters, low pressure boilers, preventive maintenance, and good problem solving skills, I have been out of work since May 2011 if anyone needs a good building, facilities, or hospital maintenance equipment mechanic please contact me asap,
Thank you

Michael

militaryfu@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed.com in Malad City, Idaho

31 months ago

I was wondering what would be the troubleshooting process for a VFD? Has been the question in a couple interviews. I have taken an atc course for industrial automation and cant land a maintenance job to save my life please help..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mario456 in Veles, Macedonia

15 months ago

First of all the best think about Washington dc is that they are repairing all types of computers, laptops, tablets, mobiles also network maintenance and monitoring with [URL="www.geekabc.com/index.php"]computer repair Washington dc[/URL] no need to worry about that soon will damage your device, they are partners with most popular company. For more information visit the link.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

First of all the best think about Washington dc is that they are repairing all types of computers, laptops, tablets, mobiles also network maintenance and monitoring with [URL=www.geekabc.com/index.php]computer repair Washington dc[/URL] no need to worry about that soon will damage your device, they are partners with most popular company. For more information visit the link.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

First of all the best think about Washington dc is that they are repairing all types of computers, laptops, tablets, mobiles also network maintenance and monitoring with <a href="www.geekabc.com/index.php">computer services washington dc</a> no need to worry about that soon will damage your device, they are partners with most popular company. For more information visit the link.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.