To be the best...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every maintenance technician must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your maintenance technician expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Holly Springs, North Carolina

75 months ago

I have been a maintenance manager for over 15 years and the top three things that you can do to be the best are: Troubleshooting techs, Read anything you can get your hands on regarding TPM (Total Productive Maintenance) and Document,Document,Document!!!! If you don't document you didn't do it......

Hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ty Harris in Phoenix, Arizona

34 months ago

The ability to maintain your calm in the face of outrageous stupidity is the foremost qualification for being a maintenance man. The rest can be picked-up easily enough. For instance, I once had a resident page me at 3Am because a street- light was shining through the 1/4 inch crack between the edge of his mini-blind and the window frame. It was making it hard for him to sleep.... I also once had a 150 unit, 15 yr old property with a monthly appliance parts budget of 50.00- roper appliances and a washer and dryer in every unit.... Also, I have been asked to sand and paint toilet seats so the company didnt have to buy new ones for make-readies. These are just a few samples of the many, many ofensive and maddening situations you will face as an apartment maintenance man. If you can suffer all these indignities and more without kiling somebody, then you have what it takes to be a maintenance man. Honestly, the ability to keep your cool is the most valuable thing you can have. You will quit or have a heart attack otherwise...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.