maintenance mechanic

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

old plant rat in Lewisville, Texas

65 months ago

i have worked in the maintenance field for 26 years, it use to be a seperate shop for each field, hydraulic,electric,welding,repair, new install, and all the rest, now all you need is a computer vo-tech paper and you are a maintenance technician, all the older mechanics are being replaced at an alarming rate,i have been teaching my 24 year old supervisor the trade, he makes more money and does not have a clue, i am told i am over qualified and out dated, computers are running the plants now, does not matter if you are a good mechanic, you must have the computer skills, and certifications, if not you get laid off like me every year or so, what a shame, not right, what can you do, keep taking less and less until you are totally out of work,replaced by computers and the young ones,who do not have a clue,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David Stokes in Fort Worth, Texas

63 months ago

old plant rat in Lewisville, Texas said: i have worked in the maintenance field for 26 years, it use to be a seperate shop for each field, hydraulic,electric,welding,repair, new install, and all the rest, now all you need is a computer vo-tech paper and you are a maintenance technician, all the older mechanics are being replaced at an alarming rate,i have been teaching my 24 year old supervisor the trade, he makes more money and does not have a clue, i am told i am over qualified and out dated, computers are running the plants now, does not matter if you are a good mechanic, you must have the computer skills, and certifications, if not you get laid off like me every year or so, what a shame, not right, what can you do, keep taking less and less until you are totally out of work,replaced by computers and the young ones,who do not have a clue,

Hello sir. I just moved in the DFW area and am looking for entry level work as a maintenance tech. Yes I do have a piece of paper stating I am a maintenance technician. I have a diploma in IMT as well as college certificates in Electrical technology and I completed a GREAT 2 year program at an accredited community college in Kentucky and moved to Texas in search of a job. I feel opposite from you sir. I am a 30 year old Army Veteran who went to school to get a job trade. I feel that you guys who been around forever our getting the jobs out here cause I applied for like a hundred in less than a month since I been here and still have not got hired yet. I had one interview with FED EX and 2 with staffing agencies who swore they had a position for me, but I have not heard back from them yet. These manufacturing industries will not hire me because I have never worked in an factory that manufactures what they make and that is BS!! I am a technician to service install and repair the MACHINERY so why does it matter if I ever worked in the cupcake manufacturing industry for a while.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David Stokes in Fort Worth, Texas

63 months ago

ALL the job ads require years of experience with a High School Diploma. I see few that prefer higher education. However them are the main ones I target. I will have student loans to payback soon and feel that I deserve a job in a field I went to college for, but employees in Industry seem not to care. So who is the employer that recognizes education for maintenance and electrical as you mentioned?? That to me sounds like a job lead I can use. Please respond ASAP!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jerry in Dallas, Texas

63 months ago

i have been in the plumbing trade for 41 years. just lately i was layed off and have yet to find a job.this person in ft. worth needs to go on line to the texas work force and look up his trade and be ready to pick his seld up off the floor. check the labor wages and then check yours where you came from. you may want to go back home and be content.layoffs are no fun. im going into my 3rd. month with NOTHING

David in Fort Worth, Texas

63 months ago

jerry in Dallas, Texas said: i have been in the plumbing trade for 41 years. just lately i was layed off and have yet to find a job.this person in ft. worth needs to go on line to the texas work force and look up his trade and be ready to pick his seld up off the floor. check the labor wages and then check yours where you came from. you may want to go back home and be content.layoffs are no fun. im going into my 3rd. month with NOTHING

I understand what you are saying Jerry but one positive thing I noticed about Texas is that I saw more job openings for industrial maintenance then any other state I stayed in or considered moving to because I got family there. However here in DFW there are billions of people looking for jobs to fill those positions as well and it is VERY competitive. There are some companies who get testing measures to weed out candidates such as test questions and demonstrations which can disqualify many good candidates who have the aptitude of performing the job.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.