Number of Employee's

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

metromaintloren@aol.com in Endicott, New York

57 months ago

Alex in Gainesville, Georgia said: How many maintenance tech's are usually required to handle an entire Apt. Complex of 106 unit's? That would include ground's, changekey, work order's, pool, that is All MAINTENANCE.

3 people should be plenty

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Gainesville, Georgia

57 months ago

metromaintloren@aol.com in Endicott, New York said: 3 people should be plenty

well there's only one, me, starting to wonder what the ??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lilmac in Hubbard, Ohio

47 months ago

My understanding is one maintenance man per 100 units. I run a 266 unit complex with 3 maintenance men and 1 Supervisor. We have 146 town homes ans 120 apartments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

chris in Columbus, Georgia

47 months ago

sorry guys, try doing grounds, 3ea 50,000gal pools, turns, and all hvac and work orders for 560 units, me and another maintenance person, 1 groundsman..man you guys got it good!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Everett Garrett in Spring, Texas

47 months ago

chris in Columbus, Georgia said: sorry guys, try doing grounds, 3ea 50,000gal pools, turns, and all hvac and work orders for 560 units, me and another maintenance person, 1 groundsman..man you guys got it good!!!!!!!!!

Been there Chris...on a new take over of a large property here in Houston. I was told to fire all the staff but the porter(lol)...I have worked as a regional and done it before so no big deal..but I do know where you are coming from..what I dont get is so-called supervisors out there whinning about "oh i dont have enough help" on a property that is a couple of yrs old so there are short 1 person its not like they are on a class c property..man-up

Everett

47 months ago

Alex in Gainesville, Georgia said: How many maintenance tech's are usually required to handle an entire Apt. Complex of 106 unit's? That would include ground's, changekey, work order's, pool, that is All MAINTENANCE.

1 maint.and 1 housekeeper

John in Antelope, California

47 months ago

I agree with both of you,however i have been doing maint for a few days now, and like you guys i have owners that dont pay for over time, when work piles up, I tell my office staff to fix the problem!!!!!The one i like is no golf cart, I LOVE IT>>>>>>> I tell my maint staff you work 8 you get paid for 8! I refused to use my car to haul tools or parts It"s pisses my mgr off.

John in Antelope, California

47 months ago

Everett Garrett in Spring, Texas said: 1 maint.and 1 housekeeper

I have been told it is 1 tech for 115 to 120 units.

47 months ago

yep you have been told right...I would temp. out the housekeeping thou...i don't do windows...lol

47 months ago

lol...yep that is always a good one John...they will never understand about the golf cart, and when you got a property that is 2 or 3 miles in distance it really sucks.

Ty in Phoenix in Phoenix, Arizona

40 months ago

Industry standard is 1 tech per 100 units. Anything less and the property will get away from you as things get swept under the rug with quick-fixes and "deferred" maintenance. I work at a 30 year-old , 350 unit complex. We have 3 techs, and we can just BARELY keep up, and we are all at the top of our game with supervisor experience, technical school and trades training, and 10+ years experience each. 3 would be the absolute minimkum for us.

justin in Henderson, Kentucky

38 months ago

I work for a 30yr old property in western Ky i over see the day to day operation of the complex we have 166 units a pool and a larg club house with several diffrent amminities. i am the only maintainence tech. on site i have to use my car to haul tools and materials. and i am on call 24/7/365. I have a problem with corprate not wanting to pay for anything so i pay for it out of pocket because i dont want to fight with them about do the repairs right.And i dont get paid for o/t. Iwas just wanting to know am i the only one?

Ty Harris in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

justin in Henderson, Kentucky said: I work for a 30yr old property in western Ky i over see the day to day operation of the complex we have 166 units a pool and a larg club house with several diffrent amminities. i am the only maintainence tech. on site i have to use my car to haul tools and materials. and i am on call 24/7/365. I have a problem with corprate not wanting to pay for anything so i pay for it out of pocket because i dont want to fight with them about do the repairs right.And i dont get paid for o/t. Iwas just wanting to know am i the only one?"

Justin- Back in the good ol' days of 4% unemployment a maintenance guy with a lot of skills and experience could throw his keys on the desk and be working a week later at a better property where they value your efforts a little more. These are NOT the good ol' days. Especially back east where you are. I wouldnt even think of quitting a job these days no matter how lousey it is, if it puts a roof over your head and they dont actually physically beat you... unless of course I already had been looking around and had something lined-up. A 30 yr old property with 166 units and one guy is completely unreasonable and they know it. So it just isnt going to be possible for you to "do the job right" under any circumstances. You may as well lower your expectations and realize that this is just to get you by until something better comes along. In the maintenance field, most of us will bounce around a little bit until we find a place where the positives of the job outweigh the negatives enough to justify staying there long-term. For now, try to maintain your sanity and health by slowing-down and re-calibrating your goals to "survival mode". You can forget "do-it-right mode". Do NOT spend your own money! Make sure to take plenty of breaks in the shop and for every hour of OT they don't pay, be sure to loaf on the clock for TWO hours. Save your best efforts for somebody who will give you the tools to be successful!

Ty Harris in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

Justin- I too have had jobs like yours. Had to haul paint buckets around in my car because they wouldnt get us a golf-cart. They didnt want to pay me OT when I had to get up and fix something in the middle of the night. Wouldnt give me a realistic budget but wanted everything fixed properly. Had one guy trying to kill himself doing 3 guy's jobs. Been there, done that. There are absolutely a lot of property management companies that operate like this. The ONLY solution is to work for somebody else, because they are NOT gonna change for you. You just have to be willing to work for a few different companies until you find one where they dont take advantage of you ( as much ). Trust me, those opportunities are out there. You just have to burn through a few jobs to find them. I have also found that wherever you go, you also have to draw boundaries. They WILL take advantage of you to the full extent that you let them. So in interviews I always tell them up front I am not doing "comp time" BS. If I work OT, you are paying me OT. And I sure as heck am not buying parts with my own money. Been at current job 3+ years. I cruised the property the day before my interview to make sure the condensors are on the ground. If not, I wouldnt have shown up. Also you want to work where you have a golf cart and dont have to use your own car except for off-property parts runs- and even then they better be paying gas and mileage. Another tip for your health and sanity- make sure that at the place where you are gonna work, that the residents dont get the direct pager #. screen all calls through a service to sort out the stuff that can wait until tomorrow. If the property doesnt do it like that, you must work somewhere else! Also, ask about the dress code in advance. There are places in Vegas i applied at, that wanted you to wear long uniform pants even when it was 120 degrees out. Ask about these sorts of things before accepting a job...The small things add up to happiness and longevity...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.