Are there any African American Machinist/Toolmakers?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Kevin Mays in Charlotte, North Carolina

65 months ago

I'm to connect with machinists to see if I'm the only one out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

z52vette in Tampa, Florida

65 months ago

Hello how are you. You are not the only one. Been machining since 1995. Went to Ranken Tech in St.louis for two years. Currently looking for employment in Tampa.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Eric Floyd in Chatsworth, California

35 months ago

I'm a black Tool and Diemaker managing the tool and die and prototype machining departments for an aerospace/industrial manufacturing company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kevin Mays in Albemarle, North Carolina

35 months ago

Aerospace is a growing industry, how did you find out about the trade? Have you been able to hire other African American toolmakers?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Eric Floyd in Chatsworth, California

35 months ago

I started out right after high school in 1976 operating punch presses for Dupont Electronics near Harrisburg Pennsylvania. They started an apprenticeship program which I was able to join in 1983.
I have always been on the lookout for other African Americans to hire when I've had openings, but I've never come across any. Not even to consider for an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Wow your entrance into the trade is similar to mine! I was a drill press operator through a temp agency at a job shop I was curious about all the other equipment so I started looking for training at the adult technical school. Most companies are surprised when I show up. Side note I was born in 77' I do see more people in the CNC shops. Thanks for responding and congradulations on your career Sir.

Carl Adams in Hoboken, New Jersey

35 months ago

Hello,
My name is Carl Adams., I can definitely relate to your experience in the limited amount of minorities in our industry. I have in excess of 40 years in the trade. I started my own company in which I specialize in manufacturing precision parts and tools to my clients specialization. I have been fortunate to procure parts for several transit companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Carl Adams in Hoboken, New Jersey said: Hello,
My name is Carl Adams., I can definitely relate to your experience in the limited amount of minorities in our industry. I have in excess of 40 years in the trade. I started my own company in which I specialize in manufacturing precision parts and tools to my clients specialization. I have been fortunate to procure parts for several transit companies.

Hello Carl, Congratulations on your success in the machining industry. Starting your own shop is definitely a blessing ,and this trade would be great for African Americans to esrn a decent living for themselves and their families. I draw inspiration from gentlmen like you men to continue to learn all I can and try and introduce black men to the skills needed to excel in machining. Thanks for tedppnding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

BigD in Los Angeles, California

30 months ago

Kevin Mays in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I'm to connect with machinists to see if I'm the only one out there.

Hello Kevin,

McDonnell Douglas Aircraft which was later bought out by Boeing. I am a Boeing retiree but went back to work at what I consider the "Dream Job".

You pose in interesting question one in which I try bring clarity to this new age of machinist. When I first began in this trade we made up @ least 40% of the workforce at McDonnell Douglas which later grew to 55% in the early 90's. When we were purchased by Boeing 85% of our plants were completely shutdown and hundreds of thousands of African Americans nationwide were out of jobs. Those who were not proactive in developing new skill sets regarding new technologies were doomed.So the real question is what happen to that base and why?

Kevin

30 months ago

Wow those were some very big numbers and Very interesting facts. I have always believed there had to of been more skilled and semi skilled labor for African American. Technology is definitely trying to pass me by I'm 35 and I work as a manual tool room machinist. I feel like I'll never get to cnc machining.

Whats the dream job?

Johnathan Bellinger in Goose Creek, South Carolina

29 months ago

Kevin Mays in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I'm to connect with machinists to see if I'm the only one out there.

Hi Kevin, I started my apprentice practices at the Charleston Naval Shipyard in Aug. 1974.Currently looking for work.

Ryan Thomas in Houston, Texas

28 months ago

I have job openings in Houston, looking for manual machinists to run hollow spindle lathes completing thread connections for oil drilling motors. Typical API, Acme and Stub Acme thread types. Also openings for CNC Machinists and Weldors (Stick Electrode and Wire Welding and Hard Metal Welding). Would love to help out other qualified folks earn gainful employment. Email me at rthomas@renteriamfgco.com with your resume.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.