Marketing jobs in NYC

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Searching1 in New York, New York

57 months ago

Does anyone have good advice about the best ways to get a job NYC? Is it possible to get one without having any contacts? I'm having a really difficult time finding something, even though I've sent my resume out to tons of companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Sunnyvale, California

16 days ago

Hey. Sorry you're having trouble connecting with job opportunities. I'm a recruiter and I service companies in NYC, San Francisco and other areas.

The top third of your 1st page is CRITICAL. If you don't catch my attention quickly with key words,previous titles or something brilliantly different...I will pass you buy. The average recruiter looks at a resume for 6 to 10 seconds. The top of your first page will make you or break you.

I tell job seekers to have a really strong profile section at the top of their resumes. Many people put an "Objective" but, honestly, that tells me nothing concrete about what your skill set is. If you're skill set is a match, then I will look at what you want out of your next job (your objective). Start with a "Profile" at the top of your resume.

In that profile, use key words from the job description. Use verbs that are action-oriented (vs passive). Keep it concise and to the point. This profile not only tells recruiters why they should keep looking at your resume, but also gives them an idea about your communication style. Avoid run-on, long-winded sentences.

I hope that helps. Feel free to reach out to me if you are open to working with a recruiter.

John

John Lindauer
John.Lindauer@akraya.com
www.akrayacollective.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.