Why so few male Massage Therapists?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 86)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Newbee in Schenectady, New York

58 months ago

Why are only approx 20% massage therapists male? I am a 50 year old male thinking about getting into the profession and I'm wondering if there's a compelling reason I would be a minority... Am I stepping into a female only profession?

THANKS for any insights!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Gainesville, Florida

58 months ago

Newbee in Schenectady, New York said: Why are only approx 20% massage therapists male? I am a 50 year old male thinking about getting into the profession and I'm wondering if there's a compelling reason I would be a minority... Am I stepping into a female only profession?

THANKS for any insights!

Most therapists are female because most clients want females. Male clients are homophobic and don't want another male touching their naked bodies. Or they want "extra" services if ya know what I mean. Female clients are self conscious about their bodies. Or they've heard horror stories about male therapists rubbing their "package" on them. It happened to me more than once.

Gotta tell you, if I was male I wouldn't do it. Most male therapists I know have gone through hell with a sexual harassment claim against them. Also at 50 your body won't be able to handle the demands like it used to. I don't think it's a good idea for someone like you overall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (70) Reply - Report abuse

MT in Atlanta, Georgia

58 months ago

Newbee in Schenectady, New York said: Why are only approx 20% massage therapists male? I am a 50 year old male thinking about getting into the profession and I'm wondering if there's a compelling reason I would be a minority... Am I stepping into a female only profession?

Massage is a very tough business for males for the reasons Susan gave. However, there are many successful male therapists in the industry. Here's a good resource for you:

www.male-massage-therapist.com/open-forum.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Newbee in Schenectady, New York

58 months ago

MT in Atlanta, Georgia said: Massage is a very tough business for males for the reasons Susan gave. However, there are many successful male therapists in the industry. Here's a good resource for you:

www.male-massage-therapist.com/open-forum.html

YES!!! Hey thanks for your very helpful link! I was raised in a home where saying "I can't..." was worse than cursing so I'm not afraid of challenges.... from your link, I found some very positive and insightful resources...
=m=

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Cincinnati, Ohio

57 months ago

I agree. The only way for a male to make a great income in the massage industry is by catering to gay men who are looking for a hot guy to rub them down. They pay really well, but most straight guys wouldn't be interested in that, which is why I'm quite sure 50% or more of the 20% of guys in the industry are gay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Newbee in Schenectady, New York said: Well now there's an intelligent response, eh? Well, please go ahead and tell us more.... hey what about actors and teachers and nurses? same 50% of the 20% are gay in those professions too? Wow do the folks at the Census Bureau know about this? And what do you do for living? Maybe you haul dirt in a one -wheeled-cart with two-handles for a living?

The bottomline is that most people do not want to have some 50yo mans hands on their body massaging them (besides maybe your own spouse). Most people desire someone young and attractive to work on them. It's just the way it is in this industry. I've been in this industry 20 years. Most people don't last 5 years. The only way for a guy to make a great income in this industry is by catering to erotic and sensual massages on gay men. That's where the money is at. You're better off looking for work elsewhere unless you're incredible attractive at 50.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

Newbee in Latham, New York

57 months ago

So which are you? Gay or 50 years old or poor?

OH MY GOODNESS... you aren't serious, are you?

You have been catering to and having gay sex customers for 20 years? Wow, that's no way to work, is it?

Something in your story just doesn't up but thanks for the honest advice...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

db in San Diego, California

57 months ago

I work in San Diego. One of the locations I work at has men booked ALL the time. Yes, the location is in the gay neighborhood, but it employs both straight and gay men who have plenty of male/female clients. They all have plenty of work, and not because they are young, hot or catering to gay men. They are all extremely educated, and keep studying their trade. In the breakroom, often it is the men sit around and discuss the things they are trying to work on with their clients. They are the ones who are having these extremely detailed talks about muscle attachments, and possible treatment(s) they could use to help relieve their client's issues. They swap ideas with each other, and even refer clients to each other. It brings an interesting/non-competitive and respectful energy to that particular work environment.

And, on a personal note.. some of the best bodywork I have ever recieved has come from male therapists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Newbee in Latham, New York said: So which are you? Gay or 50 years old or poor?

OH MY GOODNESS... you aren't serious, are you?

You have been catering to and having gay sex customers for 20 years? Wow, that's no way to work, is it?

Something in your story just doesn't up but thanks for the honest advice...

I'm gay and almost 40. I started when I was 18, 38 now. I don't have sex with my clients. I make 80k a year on average doing erotic/sensual/therapeutic massages mostly on gay men (some straight men). I massage usually 5-10 guys a week, many are regulars who I've known for years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

proteanstar in Portland, Oregon

57 months ago

This is to address Brian in Cincinnati's comments, and the others.

I am a male LMT. I have been licensed about four years. I am hetero, do not discriminate against anyone for their sexual identification, race, religion, or political views, whether they are lesbian, gay, hetero, male, female, old, young, fat, thin, short, tall, green, black, red, gray, yellow, or pink.

All are welcome, and all are treated equally, no exceptions, except if massage therapy or yoga instruction is not advisable due to medical concerns.

I am 57. I am doing quite well in my clinical practice as an LMT, and also with my yoga classes.

My intent is always to promote healing and the highest state of wellness, not any other intent. The patients and clients who come to me are those who are in need of massage therapy and yoga to help them with stress, injuries, and health issues. The goal is always to find balance, and do this without harming the patient in any way.

The best way to succeed is to show by your own example what it is like to be healthy, honest, and fit, because that is who you are. Do this and you will have no problems.

I do not have problems as Brian in Cincinnati or Susan in Gainsville have mentioned because that is not what my practice is about.

Here is my advice:

Follow your own path. Elevate those who are not in resonance with your intent, and they will be.

Mahalo. Namaste,
Steve
healinglight.info

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

I'm a licensed massage therapist and healer, but focus on sensual massages. I am not a prostitute. There's a major difference between having sex with someone for money and giving someone a sensual massage that empowers them and helps them connect with their own sacred energy. The work I do if anything is more of a healing experience for my male clients as they are able to be naked, and feel comfortable with themselves and me. I am also able to cover other parts of their body that would be off limits in a regular massage profession and can pick up on things intuitively that their body tells me to do healing techniques on.

Massage is a sensual experience. Not necessarily sexual, but definitely sensual. I practice the true art of massage as it's mean't to be, even if that means going against the Ohio State Board's rules and regulations.

The sensual massages and healing work I do isn't about sexual gratification, it's about helping my clients reconnect back to source. That's something you don't learn in massage school. lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

WhyMassageTherapy in Halifax, Nova Scotia

57 months ago

Brian, as for your quote (above) The only way for a male to make a great income in the massage industry is by catering to gay men who are looking for a hot guy to rub them down....

Well, excuse me, but if that is how massage is viewed by you, then there are sexual elements to it, and if the Ohio State Board thinks so, too, then I guess it makes it prostitution.

Shame that we are all lumped into the same category, and that's why women and men who really want to provide therapeutic and healing massage without "sensual" elements to it have a hard time getting taken seriously. This is why massage therapy is such a joke in the general public, thanks for perpetuating that myth. I take the rehabilitative aspect of my profession very seriously, and yes, everyone needs to be touched, I just choose to only touch those areas which are in my scope of practice. If someone needs more, they can see a sex therapist, have a "buddy" or hire a prostitute - it's not the reason I wanted to become a massage therapist and I certainly don't feel the need to "save" someone from whatever they are lacking in their lives.

"I am also able to cover other parts of their body that would be off limits in a regular massage profession and can pick up on things intuitively that their body tells me to do healing techniques on." If that's the part I'm thinking of, you might have some explaining to do to the Ohio State Board. Good luck with that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Question for Brian in Saint-thibéry, France

57 months ago

I'm not one of those angry-judgmental types who brings out the claws when anyone mentions the word "sensual" with "massage"! ;) In my opinion it's sick and sad that Americans try so hard to remove sensuality from an obviously sensual service. And by sensual I mean involving the bodily senses. What do you personally mean by "sensual"? Without being too graphic, what is different about your sensual massage from a non-sensual one? Everyone has a different definition.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Steffanie in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

Hi I am finishing my schooling with massage therapy and have thought about moving to ohio and was just concerned it might not be a good area for the profession. By your comment here I implyed that you reside in Ohio. So I would really appreciate if you could give me some insight on rather or not my theory is correct. In the area I live now $60 for an hour massage is around the minimum to charge. Is it less , more, or the same there? Thank you so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Cincinnati, Ohio

57 months ago

Massage therapy is not sensual massage.In ohio that makes you a prostitute.
I have been a massage therapist for 17 years.Yes is is harder for a male therapist.stick with it and you will do fine.It takes time to build a good client base.
As for having sex with clients,don't bother going to school, goto craigs list. We don't need another prostitute saying their a therapist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

WhyMassageTherapy in Halifax, Nova Scotia

57 months ago

Joe in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Massage therapy is not sensual massage.In ohio that makes you a prostitute ... As for having sex with clients,don't bother going to school, goto craigs list. We don't need another prostitute saying their a therapist.

Thank-you, Joe. It's nice to hear from someone else in this forum who "gets it".

And for the others - if expressing my well-educated and considerably experienced opinion on this subject makes me "angry-judegemental", then I'll wear that label gladly in the hopes that I dispel the ignorance and misconceptions about my profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Kingston, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

Brian in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I'm gay and almost 40. I started when I was 18, 38 now. I don't have sex with my clients. I make 80k a year on average doing erotic/sensual/therapeutic massages mostly on gay men (some straight men). I massage usually 5-10 guys a week, many are regulars who I've known for years.

is it legal in the states to give a sensual massage?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vban in Silver Spring, Maryland

55 months ago

Yes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

devoed in Baulkham Hills, Australia

54 months ago

well i love massage when i can get it ( that a joke in its self)
i seam to haveee to be injured or something before i get one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joe in Cincinnati, Ohio

54 months ago

is it legal in the states to give a sensual massage?
for fun not money.maybe Las Vegas? I'm not sure.
A lot of the comments are from people that "by law" would be called hookers in Cincinnati Ohio.that would be true in at least most of states.Brian in Cincinnati is the type of person that is causing a lot of problems for licensed massage therapists. Because of those people calling themselves "therapists" that are by law hookers we are constantly fighting new laws like the city cincinnat's bs law,where licensed massage therapists have to get fingerprinted bla bla bla."erotic/sensual/therapeutic massages" by law in ohio erotic/sensual can't be put with therapeutic massages.well you get the point. sorry but people that are not therapists and call themselves therapists cause us a lot of problems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Thank you, PK_lmt. You should mention your first name, at least, in any post. If you are going to report people, then be open about who you are and what you do, since you have nothing to fear, and nothing to hide.

I am glad that you are 'cleaning up the trash'. I would like to know more about how you conduct yourself in your massage therapy practice. Through the internet, people think that they can hide behind an alias, etc. I am not saying you are doing that, so please do not think that.

Let's all be open, transparent, truthful in thought, word, and action.

It makes it especially difficult for those of us who are male massage therapists, when male massage therapists are abusing trust with their clients, sexually, or in any manner. It also makes it difficult to gain respect from the public when there are female massage therapists abusing this trust, sexually and in other ways, and they also need to be reported.

Let's all work to elevate our profession as it is true medicine, and focus on that.

Namaste,
Steve J Davis, RYT, LMT, NCTMB

steve.yoga@yahoo.com
healinglight.info
YA#29243, OMBT #13099, NCTMB #32321

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

PK_lmt in Elgin, Illinois

54 months ago

The way I see this unfortunately, is that basic playground rules apply. If you tell on someone and take away their fun, they get mad and sometimes feel revenge in any form is the answer. I prefer to play it safe because I can not imagine a group of people who frequented these places could be happy with me. So, am I hiding? Sure. Am I guaranteeing my safety should someone get mad and vengeful? You bet. If I was a cop or politician, it would be different. So, I stand up against these types of places that degrade our profession the best way I can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KG_LMT in Louisville, Kentucky

54 months ago

It makes me so angry and frustrated to hear of LMT's doing the types of massages that Brian is talking about. Many states have fought long and hard to develop and pass laws governing our profession. When an LMT blatantly breaks those laws, it is a slap in the face to those of us that continue to conduct ourselves in a professional manner.

I sincerely hope that someone in Ohio reports this guy to the authorities or at least to the Licensure Board. He has no business operating in this profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

vijendrasnv in Indore, India said: Yes this is very common that maximum massage therapist are female its because that the female have a sensual touch as they have a very soft hands.Massage is the therapy where one wants the relax and generally the men do not provide that touch that a woman can provide.

Even females have much understanding in comparison to males that why they suits the best in this job.

First off, almost everything you said is ridiculous. I see you are from India, and I can honestly say I don't know how your massage ethics and laws work. I know that in the US, "sensual" is not a word most LMTs really want to associate with massage. In an entirely different setting, I believe men can be just as sensual or more so than some women. It depends on the person. Men can also have very soft hands. I imagine that most male LMTs DO have soft skin on their hands, as you know it doesn't feel too relaxing when a calloused hand is massaging delicate skin on the body. As for massage being the therapy where one wants to relax? I can agree with that, but your statement makes it sound like clients go to massage therapist Just to relax. Most of my clients come to me for a muscle problem they have. And to say that men do not provide a relaxing touch? I guess you haven't been massaged by many men. I know our cultures are different, so I can only assume that is a big part of why things are different here. "Even females have much understanding...." I have no idea what you're trying to say really. I think men and women both have understanding of many things. I have found that the very biggest thing you need to have with a client, so they can let go and relax is Trust. It is hard for some people to gain trust no matter the setting. It takes a very long time to build a relationship with a client sometimes. Other times, you are comfortable right away. The more trust you have, the better the massage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

daniel in Irving, Texas

54 months ago

The sensual massages and healing work I do isn't about sexual gratification, it's about helping my clients reconnect back to source. That's something you don't learn in massage school. lol

Time for the facts. It seems the problem isnt in the term itself but in the general sexual Connotations the term Sensual has. The term "sensual" is the act of enhansing ones sences through Touch, vision, and Aroma. In the truest sence massage is founded in the manipulation of sences through soft tissue reformation in the promotion of Health. The key word is Health.

The Problem is that probly only 2 percent of the world hears the word "sensual" as related to massage as its true meaning. The times hav changed and the term is long since changed its meaning in our society. Much like Gay useto mean "Happy" and now it means well u know lol. So as a Proffesional Licenced Therapist our profesions goal is to promote better health be it on the Spa or Medical side of massage to uplift, yes uplift the profesion and increase awareness. Having said that anything that takes away from our goal be it through actions, terms or sudjestion only serves as a hinderence to our accredidation. For example the advertisement and sudjestions of "Sensual Massage" as a legitamacy in todays terms of our practice. You dont promote sex i applaud you but realise wat your words mean, you might be contridicting yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

joe in Cincinnati, Ohio

54 months ago

daniel in Irving, Texas said: The sensual massages and healing work I do isn't about sexual gratification, it's about helping my clients reconnect back to source. That's something you don't learn in massage school. lol

Time for the facts. It seems the problem isnt in the term itself but in the general sexual Connotations the term Sensual has. The term "sensual" is the act of enhansing ones sences through Touch, vision, and Aroma. In the truest sence massage is founded in the manipulation of sences through soft tissue reformation in the promotion of Health. The key word is Health.

The Problem is that probly only 2 percent of the world hears the word "sensual" as related to massage as its true meaning. The times hav changed and the term is long since changed its meaning in our society. Much like Gay useto mean "Happy" and now it means well u know lol. So as a Proffesional Licenced Therapist our profesions goal is to promote better health be it on the Spa or Medical side of massage to uplift, yes uplift the profesion and increase awareness. Having said that anything that takes away from our goal be it through actions, terms or sudjestion only serves as a hinderence to our accredidation. For example the advertisement and sudjestions of "Sensual Massage" as a legitamacy in todays terms of our practice. You dont promote sex i applaud you but realise wat your words mean, you might be contridicting yourself.

sensual massage is not by law therapeutic massage. become a sex therapist and work under a doctor or just don't act like is ok in our profession. people like you make it harder for real therapists to do true healing work because of the fear you promote.I would report you for messing with our profession. I'm glad your kind of stupidly is becoming less.Your stupidity and manipulation will get you busted.you are a manipulator of facts and should not comment on things you know nothing about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

daniel in Irving, Texas

54 months ago

Also to brian. I understand whatyou mean bout catering to gay guys. Even though i never did anything sexual or even entertained the idea during my massage gay guys definitly supply a huge market for male massage therapist. Hay a body is a body, i dont care as long as theres nothing close to being sexual.

on another note Im a Male LMT and it is alot harder for males to seceed in this business expeciouly if you want a spa job. But one thing most therapist arent noticing is that there is a huge incredible market for males as Sports Therapist or Medical massage Therapist. I work Sporting Teams, Doctor offices, and festivals. In this arena males are the preferred expecially if u know what your doing. Speciallise in things most people in the area dont have such as Sports Massage, Thai Massage, Active Release Technigue, Neuromuscular re-edjucation, Anatomy Train,Grastons Technique anything on those levels. Once youve gotten in and teams and doctors start see wat u do believe me you wont haveto look for he jobs they will be calling you. You just haveto advertise yourself and Keep getten ur name out even if it means working sideline of a basketball game or marathon races for free one time to get peoples attention.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

daniel in Irving, Texas

54 months ago

ummmumm let me clear my throat. Because its clear your the type that doesnt read past ther emotions. If you read it right you would see i hate the promotion of sex in my career and dont condone it. Try to report and lets see how stupid you look when you realise to read that all wrong and your complaint goes nowhere.
So once again let me say it in simpler terms for you. I am not, I repeat not supporting anything sexual in massage. Read that post again and see where your reading took a turn from whats really there. We read though our mindset so if your looken to argue when you read guess what your mindest becomes illogical and starts to create and twist ideas or thoughts stated to fit ur argumenitive way of thinking vearing form the truth of the words actually said.

daniel in Irving, Texas

54 months ago

Also read the post B4 mine and see the first two lines arent mine, thats the post im responding to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Here is a nice easy way to really determine how most people view sensual massage. I figure most people have easy access to the Internet these days. Look up the word "sensual" on dictionary.com. Look up "sensual massage" on wikipedia. If that is what your potential clients are reading and understanding, then you should definately be aware of it. What people will glean from this is that someone that performs sensual massage will give them a happy ending.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ThorHammer in Wilmington, North Carolina

53 months ago

THANKS for any insights!

Don't do it man. Im a male therapist in my 20's and I can tell you that at your age, women will be very critical of you. Not to mention the physical demand is quite rigorous (even i get sore after a day's massage session).

It's good to have as a hobby but please don't do this- We have an older guy working for us at our clinic and although he's been there the longest and is very good at what he does he is the least asked for (and so the least paid) due to his age and looks :( its a sad fact but the massage world is a very looks-oriented business. So unless you have that George Clooney distinguished look and are very personable don't do this

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Hello!

I am 57 hetero male, will be 58 in September of this year.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the above post is totally off the mark, and in fact, it is plain wrong.

Look, the bottom line is this. If you have the maturity and wisdom that being over 50 years of age brings, and you want to share this wisdom with the aim of helping people with their health and well-being, then massage therapy is absolutely the correct field to be in now, yesterday, and tomorrow.

Follow your own heart, and just go for it.

Namaste,
Steve

Registered Yoga Teacher 30+ years
Licensed Massage Therapist 4+ years
Nationally Certified in Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork.

blog: healinglight.info/wordpress/
new brochure: healinglight.info/healinglightbrochureweb.pdf
email; steve.yoga@yahoo.com
twitter: twitter.com/proteanstar
YA #29243, OBMT #13099, NCTMB #32321
Studio inside Bally Total Fitness
15353 SW Sequoia Parkway
Portland, OR 97224

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Here is an addendum:

My massage therapy sessions range from 1/2 hour to three hours.

I do not discount any session, it is billed at a flat rate of $70.00 per hour.

I do not accept insurance. I will provide a receipt for reimbursement purposes.

People often tip me $20 to $50 per session.

My sessions are not sexual, they are therapeutic.

You can read the testimonials from my clients.

Most of my clients are women, but many are men. My clients range from 18 years to 92 years of age.

I get more energy from massage, and so does every client. I like working hard all day, and I can do massage for more than eight hours per day with no problem.

Both of us feel better during, and after the massage session.

I am busy, in demand, and I am helping people.

Namaste,
Steve

Registered Yoga Teacher 30+ years
Licensed Massage Therapist 4+ years
Nationally Certified in Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork 4+ years.

blog: healinglight.info/wordpress/
new brochure: healinglight.info/healinglightbrochureweb.pdf
email; steve.yoga@yahoo.com
twitter: twitter.com/proteanstar
YA #29243, OBMT #13099, NCTMB #32321
Studio inside Bally Total Fitness
15353 SW Sequoia Parkway
Portland, OR 97224

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chris kim in Henderson, Nevada

48 months ago

ok i just read some of this but my question is different im moving to san francisco im pretty sure there are alot of gay men . i for one dont mind massaging gay men or anyone at all im not planning anytime soon to give erotic/sensual massage . but what is an average income for a male therpaist that just starts at a spa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael Locey in Kilauea, Hawaii

47 months ago

there are less males because of social conditioning.
If you went back 20 yrs, more than half of the people that get massages didn't and wouldn't have thought about it.
20 yrs ago, less than half of the people getting massages were men; way more than half.
Today is another story; almost everyone (exageration) has had and receives massage and for good reason; men and women.
If there are people with hang ups still, they are getting less and less as the society becomes more enlightened. The acceptance has nothing to do with sexuality.
It has everything to do with spiritual, mental, physical well being.

I have been a male therapist for 16 years and I have seen and rolled with the changes.
I am not gay, but that has NEVER been a consideration.
To do massage, one should have optimal spiritual/mental/physical health in mind foremost. period.
It is a meeting of soul and heart.
I do lomilomi massage and am fortunate to be immersed in the the culture of aloha in Hawaii.
The aloha spirit is love, light, healing, and unconditionally so.

B in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

47 months ago

I'm a male massage therapist and love that there are so few of us. It's gives us our own little niche in the massage therapist community. It's true, sometimes older women or hetero men are uncomfortable having a male MT, but that number is quite small when compared to my ever growing clientele.

To the original poster who is a 50 year old male considering this profession: I have a friend who is in a similar position. He's in his mid-50's and considering learning massage therapy. I think massage is a valuable skill you'll have for the rest of your life. If you're looking to do massage as just a way to make money because you want a career change, I'm not sure it's a right for you. But if you want to be a massage therapist for the sake of having that knowledge, then by all means, go for it. Career-wise I think you would do the best working at an athletic club. Men there seem to prefer male massage therapists because we provide more pressure, so the homophobia drops. And someone older would probably be more respected in a more medical based setting than a fashion forward spa.

Mick in North Easton, Massachusetts

46 months ago

Susan, shame on your for being so closed minded. Obviously your limited experience has tainted your opinion. And telling a 50 year old his body won't be able to handle the demands??? HELLO... wake up. He's not 80! I know lots of male therapists and most of them are doing well and have never had any harassment charges filed against them... where and with whom have you been hanging out with? Come out of the middle ages... or is it a southern thing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Beaverton, Oregon

46 months ago

As a 48 year old male who has worked in massage for 20 years, I must agree with Susan's analysis. I went thru hell with a female client who falsely accused me of sexual misconduct. The case was dismissed but I almost left massage because of it because it left me emotionally and financially devastated. My body is not able to handle the demands like it used to. It's called R-E-A-L-I-T-Y, Mick.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Tony,
I am ten years your senior, at age 58.

While I have only been in the massage therapy field for about 5 years, I have been teaching yoga for over 30 years, and in a previous career, taught high climbers on radio towers, antennae, and high-rise buildings for 23 years. I have worked in the window cleaning trade for over 30 years, and I have more energy now than I ever had. I still clean windows occasionally, on the weekends. It is great exercise.

I get up about 4am every morning. Yoga keeps me fit and healthy.

My office hours are 9am to 9pm Monday through Friday, with some weekends available.

I have found that massage therapy gives energy to both therapist and client.

I have never had any woman accuse me of sexual conduct. Glad to hear that your case was dismissed.

I also have a friend who works in massage therapy who is well past the age of 80.

She did not start until the age of 60.

She works very hard, seven days per week, 9am to 9pm Monday through Saturday, and 1/2 day on Sunday.

Namaste,
Steve

Mick in North Easton, Massachusetts

46 months ago

Tony,
I'm sorry your "reality" was so devastating. You obviously went through a rough time. However, your experience is not a typical one. Most of us never have complaints. My problem with Susan's comment was that she was generalizing about all of us. I agree with Steve. Massage energizes both the client and the therapist. I've only found it draining when working in a situation where I am doing more than five back to back clients and am rushed. Otherwise I've always found massage to be empowering. But good nutrition, exercise and meditation or yoga will keep you young until you are 100! Again, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. But that is NOT typical of male therapists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MicBen in Salt Lake City, Utah

46 months ago

I'm a female therapist but my older brother also had a female patient who filed a false complaint against him. He tried to kill himself b/c of it. it happens more than you think. The occasional harrassment from my male patients doesn't even compare.

46 months ago

Let me make sure I understand. He tried to kill himself because someone filed a complaint against him? That seems a bit severe. Sounds like he has some bigger problems than complaints.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Newbee in Clifton Park, New York

46 months ago

Hello and thanks to everyone that responded to my original post! I am the 50 year old and I am more committed to pursuing my goals than ever. Since reading everyone's posts for the last year, I think it's safe to say I AM DOING the right thing! Clearly, this pursuit will be like all the other things I have done in life, therefore I will succeed. We all know there are positives and negatives and I am a positive force therefore I will reap positive results!

I'm not worried about being accused of something false since the truth has always been my close friend and now I know for sure this is a female dominated profession for reasons beyond me and my goals so that does not matter.

It's been a year and I have completed parts of my plan and will start LMT school next spring...

thanks again for all of your input!

46 months ago

PK_lmt in Elgin, Illinois said: Let me make sure I understand. He tried to kill himself because someone filed a complaint against him? That seems a bit severe. Sounds like he has some bigger problems than complaints.

Obviously you have no idea how devastating a case filed against you in a criminal court can be. Right, Tony? My brother was arrested, held in jail, had to pay bail, lawyers and detectives to handle his case. His license was temporarily suspended until the case was settled so he couldn't even work. Perhaps being such a harsh judge when you have no idea about the facts isn't a good idea, PK_lmt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Newbee in Clifton Park, New York

46 months ago

Obviously the same thing (or worse) can happen to male elementary school teachers, coaches, counselors, clergy, etc.. I don't mean to dilute the significance of your brother's situation, but let's be honest, anyone in any profession can have charges brought against them for sexual harassment.

With all due respect, enough said about "charges" being brought against male LMT's. I have to think coaches, teachers, counselors, dentists and all other professionals that work with women in physical ways face the same "dangers".

Thanks for the warning.

I was trying to ascertain sociological factors that contributed to the disproportionate number of males and how potential clients may respond to a male therapist. I have done quite a bit of informal surveying and have found a significant number of males and females expressing that not only would be fine with a male LMT, but even more so would be fine with ME since I am who I am. The point is that if you are positive and trustworthy and sincere, you can develop clients that won't accuse you of illegal activities just like the tens of thousands of dentists and coaches and teachers and counselors.

46 months ago

Well you already know your answers so I won't waste my time. Why ask the question when your mind is already made up?

Mike in Kissimmee, Florida

46 months ago

Attending school in Jan. to become a LMT. To be honest, it seems like an ideal career for me personally, and I'm not concerned about possible harassment issues. I plan on refusing to work on certain areas that could be construed as questionable by the most conservative of clientele, as to avoid any possibility of a harassment suit in the first place, but I think helping people to feel better every day would be a reward in itself. As another poster previously stated, more men are joining the profession now compared to decades past - progress. Also, this means getting into the field while there's less male competition will help ensure my place in years to come, when the world realizes that its stigmas toward men as massage therapists are unfounded (I do believe it's happening as we speak).

Dorr in Kanata, Ontario

45 months ago

Making a career as a male massage therapist is not easy, for all the reasons mentioned in the previous posts.
You need to establish a clientele and define yourself as a Therapist. General and specific Marketing knowledge are strongly advised.
Depending on your location, you could live in an more open-minded environment and it will be easier to get clients of either genders.
I recommend Workplace massage and specifically Head Massage as great way to avoid many of the aforementioned problems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dorr in Kanata, Ontario

45 months ago

Dorr in Kanata, Ontario said: Making a career as a male massage therapist is not easy, for all the reasons mentioned in the previous posts.
You need to establish a clientele and define yourself as a Therapist. General and specific Marketing knowledge are strongly advised.
Depending on your location, you could live in an more open-minded environment and it will be easier to get clients of either genders.
I recommend Workplace massage and specifically Head Massage as great way to avoid many of the aforementioned problems.

Here are some resources about Head Massage:
www.head-massage.net
www.head-massage.net/massage-and-bodywork/indian-and-tibetan-head-massage

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.